Battery 3 users please take a gander... gaps before sample hit

Author
SilverfoxUK
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 257
2010/07/08 05:09:39 (permalink)

Battery 3 users please take a gander... gaps before sample hit

Has anyone noticed that some kit samples have a gap before the actual hit?

I have come across a few but an example is the Pop Kit - All hi-hat cells have a gap before the actual hit - leading to a latency effect when used. Best thing is that I thought I could multiple-select the cells and change the sample start but NO. it seems you cannot crop/cut sample sections in multiple select. This means you have to do it manually, what a pain.

Another thing that I can't get my head around is that the Battery 3 master output is set to -6db yet when I output a cell to a separate audio track in Sonar, it often clips past 0.0db and I have to use trim to get the levels under control. Anyone else care to share trim/volume settings for Battery inside Sonar?

I love battery but little things like this are starting to annoy me and interrupt creative flow.

I did post in the Battery forum but that is as useful as blow-up dartboard.

Any thoughts?

X3 64bit (final update)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Gigabyte SKT-1155 P67A-UD5 B3    
Intel i5 2400 Sandybridge Quad core    
6 GB Corsair RAM
V-STUDIO 100 (Driver 1.50)
M-AudioAxiom 49
Korg PadKontrol
BCF2000 

9 Replies Related Threads

SilverfoxUK
    Re:Battery 3 users please take a gander... gaps before sample hit 2010/07/08 19:00:24 (permalink)
    Anyone?

X3 64bit (final update)
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    6 GB Corsair RAM
    M-AudioAxiom 49
    Korg PadKontrol
    BCF2000 

planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:Battery 3 users please take a gander... gaps before sample hit 2010/07/08 23:28:22 (permalink)

Yes, I've noticed that in a couple, but I don't remember which ones. If you have the specific cells, I can take a look to confirm. I've also noticed some cells don't make a sound at all unless you edit them. The sample is fine, but the cell itself isn't set up correctly.

I have the same problem with individual outs in Battery, too--but it depends upon the kit, I think. But I've also seen that happen with Session Drums in SONAR, too: individual outputs are much hotter than the stereo submix. I'm using SD2 with some (otherwise nice-sounding) kits from Smart Loops.

I had to read that twice--hilarious!

Yes, the entire NI forum is a bit "laid-back" compared to SONAR's, and not nearly as populous. I've seen topics in each group sit for a week without someone posting a new one. To be fair, there are only a couple (almost literally) of knowledgeable people working the forum. "EW" is one of them (and he helps out here, too), and I know of one other that I regularly see. After those two, the level of expertise in NI products drops off precipitously. I like the forum, but it doesn't quite have the "hustle and bustle" of this one--not that there's anything wrong with that. Could be worse, though--have you tried EastWest/Quantum Leap's forum?

UPDATE: I checked this out and posted my theory in the NI forum if you want to read it, Silverfox. (Actually, it'll still be there even if you don't want to read it.)

post edited by planetearth - 2010/07/09 01:21:11

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    SilverfoxUK
    Re:Battery 3 users please take a gander... gaps before sample hit 2010/07/09 04:24:23 (permalink)
    Thanks Pal,

I replied over at NI but frankly I'd rather stay here as I prefer this forum.

As I said over there - The Pop kit Hi-hat is classic example.

But I was also asking if there is a way to edit the sample start point of multiple-cells

X3 64bit (final update)
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    6 GB Corsair RAM
    M-AudioAxiom 49
    Korg PadKontrol
    BCF2000 

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Battery 3 users please take a gander... gaps before sample hit 2010/07/09 09:35:06 (permalink)
    next time I fire up the DAW I'll check it out.

Up to this I have not experienced it but I'll have a look.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    SilverfoxUK
    Re:Battery 3 users please take a gander... gaps before sample hit 2010/07/09 18:43:26 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Cool! As I said - Pop kit hi-hat is classic example

X3 64bit (final update)
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    6 GB Corsair RAM
    M-AudioAxiom 49
    Korg PadKontrol
    BCF2000 

Ham N Egz
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re:Battery 3 users please take a gander... gaps before sample hit 2010/07/09 22:19:34 (permalink)
    SilverfoxUK

Guitarhacker

Cool! As I said - Pop kit hi-hat is classic example

IT appears IF enough people make ENOUGH noise ALA ALICA KEYS ON GS NI will listen to you and correct the problem ..

but lets examine the scenario

Battery--- been out no endorsement or high profile no postings high volume no fix?

Alicas Keys ...  visit http://www.gearslutz.com/...alicia-keys-piano.html all 35 pages  GOT FIXED!!!

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Chris S
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re:Battery 3 users please take a gander... gaps before sample hit 2010/07/12 20:39:30 (permalink)
    I don't know about the POP kit, never used it, but I know Battery tries to have as much variety as it can.
    There are a number of improvements they could make on it.
    I think they are working on a Battery 4 because I was sent a questionair about what I might want.

Listen in
    rm5700@optonline.net
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 969
    Re:Battery 3 users please take a gander... gaps before sample hit 2010/07/15 06:54:10 (permalink)
    Chris S

I don't know about the POP kit, never used it, but I know Battery tries to have as much variety as it can.
    There are a number of improvements they could make on it.
    I think they are working on a Battery 4 because I was sent a questionair about what I might want.

I own Battery 3, and was never sent a questionaire, maybe they only sent it to randomly selcted people  (?)

Sonar X3 Producer, Toxic Biohazard IV, Rayblaster, Minimonsta, OP-X Pro II, kHS ONE, Melodyne Editor, Saurus, ElectraX, LuSH-101, Gladiator 2, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Wusikstation 7,  Nemesis, impOSCar2, Sampletank2xl, SonikSynth2,  Battery 3,  M-Audio Oxygene 25 and Audiophile 2496   
    http://soundcloud.com/examigan 

rm5700@optonline.net
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 969
    Re:Battery 3 users please take a gander... gaps before sample hit 2010/07/15 06:58:33 (permalink)
    SilverfoxUK

I have come across a few but an example is the Pop Kit - All hi-hat cells have a gap before the actual hit - leading to a latency effect when used. Best thing is that I thought I could multiple-select the cells and change the sample start but NO. it seems you cannot crop/cut sample sections in multiple select. This means you have to do it manually, what a pain.

Another thing that I can't get my head around is that the Battery 3 master output is set to -6db yet when I output a cell to a separate audio track in Sonar, it often clips past 0.0db and I have to use trim to get the levels under control. Anyone else care to share trim/volume settings for Battery inside Sonar?

I love battery but little things like this are starting to annoy me and interrupt creative flow.

Any thoughts?

I never noticed the "gaps" issue before, but don't use the Popkit too much. I usually use the Soul Kit multi-miked set, but I didn't notice that delay sorta thing you are mentioning with that one.  I'll have to check it out.

-Rob
    post edited by rm5700@optonline.net - 2010/07/15 07:00:13

Sonar X3 Producer, Toxic Biohazard IV, Rayblaster, Minimonsta, OP-X Pro II, kHS ONE, Melodyne Editor, Saurus, ElectraX, LuSH-101, Gladiator 2, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Wusikstation 7,  Nemesis, impOSCar2, Sampletank2xl, SonikSynth2,  Battery 3,  M-Audio Oxygene 25 and Audiophile 2496   
    http://soundcloud.com/examigan 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1