Helpful ReplyBe careful with the new Windows updates....

Author
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
2013/12/12 14:13:11 (permalink)

Be careful with the new Windows updates....

I have never had any trouble with them but yesterday there were 10, I downloaded and installed them and webpages bagan to freeze, adobe flash player stopped working (over and over) this morning Ebay froze up. My fingerprint scanner started acting up, disappeared on restart.
I restored to the point before the updates and so far all seems OK. I wish I knew which update did it, but I am not going to sit here and DL and install each one just to find out.
This is what I got and installed. They all had a blurb about security blah blah and a couple of Microsoft links. I left the last one because it was different.
Any ideas which one might have caused problems? Do you install Windows updates?
Thanks!
Julien

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2898785)
Download size: 28.3 MB
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Update type: Important

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2887069)
Download size: 676 KB

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2892074)
Download size: 595 KB
you may have to restart your system.

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2893294)
Download size: 165 KB

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2893984)
Download size: 1.5 MB

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2847077)
Download size: 15.5 MB
Update type: Recommended

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2891804)
Download size: 235 KB

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2904266)
Download size: 729 KB

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2913152)
Download size: 335 KB

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - December 2013 (KB890830)
Download size: 8.5 MB
After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.
More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830
Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 14:59:01 (permalink)
Installed them all except for Microsoft Framework (whatever it is) 4.5. If one is marked you have to restart your computer (usually have to anyway) but if one is marked you have to install it by itsself then you have to go multiple times back to Windows Update because those have to be installed separately.

Adobe Flashplayer had an update, could not install it until something happened, but if using Firefox, then check your Add-ons in the menu item Tools to see if anyone has to be updated. At first I thought it was Adobe, but it was something else. Then there was an update to the Avira free anti-virus I run, in which I had to download the free version again and I un-installed the old version. Not sure why but they added showing Windows Firewall on it to also but addressed the one thing I did not want which was their search toolbar (which I had left unchecked as to not install) but found it in Programs and Features of Control Panel and just un-installed it there because I had downloaded another program lately called Toolbar Cleaner because they stay they un-install those but they leave something behind like you are going to use it again or something and just hide it.

Well, whatever it was with Adobe Flash Player that finally installed and everything is back to normal. Can't remember exactly the steps I took but a lot of it has to do with getting up the Tools menu in Firefox, downloaded that update then I think it worked, while checking the Add-ons and things not reporting correctly like Java 7 Update 45 being alright, but both the Director and Java add-in having to "Ask to Activate" if I ever come upon a java website. I guess that is in my hands, as then I decide, otherwise no more Java Applets automatically downloaded starting up any java program through any browser, but then I do not use IE so Firefox is it. In fact I took out IE 10 or whatever I had in Programs and Features in Control Panel for Windows' programs to have on the computer.

And everything is running fine again, just a bunch of updates at the end of the year I guess, whatever. Now back to Microsoft and Windows Update to download that Framework 4.5, which I doubt I need either but see if there is anything else.

At the same time I was un-installing my graphic card drivers and returning that back to Standard VGA just to clear out any old versions still hanging around and just re-installing that again for my Nvidia graphics card because deleting the graphics card in Device Manager in Windows insures that eventually you get back to just ol' Standard VGA and Microsoft's HD Audio driver in Sound whatever Devices and then re-installing the graphics drivers to only have one on the computer.

But everything is working and no problems like you had.
Same-o, same-o, they always want to install something else and even if you check the box you do not want this toolbar or that it always seems it is there anyway just hiding by them. But then sometimes you have to un-install those in Programs and Features in Control Panel the regular way, and I just use Toolbar Cleaner program to check it all then.

Whew!
Time to eat!
Too many assumptions to me about what they can do, free program or not.
Garbage cleaning on the computer with these people.
Some people actually re-install Windows again to clean up the mess, but then a person really does not have to do that if you catch the little sneeky BSers frackin' with the computer.

Little Gremlins in the computer, little gremlins gone, gone, gone!

And it is my computer despite Microsoft!

spacealf
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 15:32:09 (permalink)
Now, Microsoft.net framework 4.5 installed with just one optional other update (not Bing whatever stuff), and everything working there.

Now on to Firefox (I think I had to update that to version 26 to install the Adobe Flash Player update or else it would not even download) and their commands.

http://kb.mozillazine.org...config_Entries#Config.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/geolocation/

In the URL bar, type about:config
Type geo.enabled
Double click on the geo.enabled preference
Location-Aware Browsing is now disabled

And also having Ghostery:
http://www.ghostery.com/
which always works because I am a Ghost I guess on the Internet, and tracking is my option not theirs.

Hurrumph!
All done, including the Steam Client Update crap that happens when they decide to just download it, to play one computer game.

http://www.gamespot.com/xcom-enemy-within/summary/
The expansion for the game
http://www.gamespot.com/xcom-enemy-unknown/

Let the Aliens Have the Planet, as all humans are turned into perhaps quantum Green Goo, or held for some alien purpose in this Universe.

Ugh!

Updates, updates, updates, well computers who needs them?

bayoubill
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 15:45:02 (permalink)
Thanks for posting the info Julien!

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

jbow
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 16:03:31 (permalink)
Thanks Alf... I am going to have to read through that again... LOL.
I have Flash Player Uninstaller on my desktop. Now and again I have to completely uninstall the older version and do a clean install of whatever the new version is.
I am still on IE9. I may give Firefox another try, I did a while back but couldn't get used to it and was concerned that I didn't know my way around the security settings. SOmetimes I use "in-private" with IE but most of the time I just use a regular browser. It has a built in filter button at the top that limits tracking but in order to view most videos I have to allow tracking. The free Norton that I get with Comcast seems to work really well for me, I can put it in silent mode and disable WIFI and I am usually good to go with X3.
I'll check at Adobe and see what the latest Player version is, I uninstalled earlier today and reinstalled 11.5, I bet there is a newer version and that soud be part of my problem. I also ran Malwarebytes and a quick scan with Norton and both came back clean. W7 with Norton is WAY WAY better than XP with McAfee was. I was constantly having to remove something from the registry with Hijackthis. I also use the free Popup Blocker from Panicware, I like it better than the Windows PUB. I don't seem to need AdAware or Spybot S&D anymore either.
I'll check Adobe and maybe then try the updates again. I'll look a little more closely at the updates. My computer usually tells me if any of them need to be installed seperately, this time they were all OK to do at once, so it saif... Maybe I'll try Firefox again too. Chrome scares me, it is just too much Google for me.
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!
Julien

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 16:06:11 (permalink)
Thanks Julien....
I'm on Win 8 and just did a clean install, so I'm not sure if these updates will affect it......will check on some these programs and see.

@Spacealf: Xcom Enemy Within is one game I'm looking to get (on sale). Do you play multiplayer mode?  (Steam seems to be always updating their software crap, but I do like using Steam :))

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
jbow
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 16:06:14 (permalink)
OH... also my HP program that scans my machine for new drivers stopped working over a year ago and I cannot get it to install and run. Do you know a reliable site or program that I can use to scan my computer for outdated drivers?
Thanks again!
J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
spacealf
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 16:15:40 (permalink)
Well, in Windows 7 you also may have Windows Defender (which I made a desktop icon to and needs also to be updated - sort of like an anti-virus and sometimes you can not run two at the same time, but Avira free version works well with anything I have so I also use that and Windows Defender which was on the computer and in Windows 7). I just use Firefox for a browser and had no problem with it, but there are commands anyone can use if you type - about:config in the URL bar of Firefox. The only one I am concerned with is the command - geo:enabled which like anything else does not give your location of where you are at (physically) in the world. At least I guess that is what it is suppose to do. Ghostery is its own program and they have a list that just blocks most tracking little cookies or whatever it is that keeps marketing people and advertising people not knowing where you are going on the Internet or what you are looking at.
I still figure it is my computer and to have all this tracking stuff for whatever purpose let them track someone else, besides the pop-up blockers in the browser its self and anything else they made a mess of the Internet and usually slows it down. I don't need it also for u-tube videos or anything else I do as none of that interferes with being on the Internet, just things you find out along the way and can use or do not have to use.

I went for a day with that Adobe Flash-player not downloading or updating, but I think that was due to Firefox having an update needed first. I usually guess at this stuff going on, but again everything is working, no problems, and everything is fine. I just watch my Local Area Connection (status screen) which I connect or disable if using the Internet. Otherwise I am off of the Internet, and do not leave it on all the time as some other people who do not know what to do to disable anything not agreeable to at least me while doing anything on the computer, including Control Panel -> Administrative Tools-> System Configuration to see all the little start-up programs that start on the computer which with some are not needed, all done by Microsoft to begin with.
Phooy!~

I  also use Startpage for a search engine instead of Google and all their scheming devices to know what it is you are looking and searching for on the Net. It just blocks google from knowing.
https://startpage.com/
which can be added to your browser (or in this case Firefox, since I am not using IE any version).

Whatever, there are people who want to make your day while using your computer and others who do not.

post edited by spacealf - 2013/12/12 16:20:40

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 16:20:56 (permalink)
jbow
OH... also my HP program that scans my machine for new drivers stopped working over a year ago and I cannot get it to install and run. Do you know a reliable site or program that I can use to scan my computer for outdated drivers?
Thanks again!
J

I'm also looking into a driver utility program (a free one at that)......I can't remember the last one I used, but it was quite decent (it might still be on my backup drive and I'll check tonight).

Driver Max has got pretty good reviews and I might give it a shot, you can read more about it here: http://download.cnet.com/DriverMax/3000-18513_4-10572602.html 

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
spacealf
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 16:26:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2013/12/12 17:48:45
There is also the program "verifier" in any version of Windows since Windows 2000 to check drivers with, but usually I just go the the manufacturer's website like Intel or look up in a search and see what if anything is needed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Of course Microsoft's program may not help that much.
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

and even the manufacturer of the computer usually has a place to see if your computer needs any updates via their website, just search for your individual computer model on the Internet. Usually the computer maker will have a website for all of that also.

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 16:37:40 (permalink)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
spacealf
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 16:38:02 (permalink)
No, unfortunately I do not play multi-player in Enemy Unknown or the new expansion to the game Enemy Within.
I just play single player, but there may be others although it seems anymore there is also that patch update seeming to be always had with some players because actually (especially in single mode) between different graphics drivers versions and computer some people can not get the game to work correctly.
The game works fine on my computer, but with only a certain version of Nvidia drivers (which they are screwing up lately.
http://www.guru3d.com/fil...videocard_drivers.html

http://www.guru3d.com/fil..._nvidia_geforce_vista_|_7.html

I suppose the game works (Enemy Unknown does with whatever version of graphics drivers that finally worked) and I have not played it all the way through yet. It may need some patches, hard to say.

Players computers do not work all the time, but if the game crashes to desktop for no real reason except code 0X00000005 then usually it is the graphics drivers.
Fun and games on the computer with nothing really exactly working correctly perhaps.

post edited by spacealf - 2013/12/12 16:40:12

spacealf
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 16:41:36 (permalink)
About like this Cakewalk forum working today - slow!
At least for me.

jbow
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 16:58:30 (permalink)
spacealf
At least for me.

I just noticed that... I went back to the updates and installed the 1st one. I may try the next 8 and then the last one by itself. I updated Flash Player to 11.9, I hope that will fix that.
I'll let you know if I have anymore trouble.

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
spacealf
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 16:59:31 (permalink)
And anything creepy I do not look at on the Internet except perhaps the News.
The music is the only bomb you will see out of me.
Now to find the crappiest sounding patch on my synth and put it up on the Internet, perhaps!

Or some awful arrangement of what is suppose to be music or something that just makes noise.

craigb
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/12 17:21:45 (permalink)
spacealf
At least for me.

Yep.  It's been pretty slow lately.  Probably started when they moved it over to that old Radio Shack TRS-80 with 4K of RAM they had laying around.

jbow
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/13 21:11:37 (permalink)
I was still freezing up and having problems today after uninstalling all the updates, I did reinstall a couple of them and updated to Flash Player 11.9 so... I went back to the restore point before any updates, it was created when I installed the Waves R Bass. Hopefully this has fixed things. I did update some drivers and everything seems to be working well. I used Slimware (the HP driver scan site did not work) it was recommended as good by C-net... but I ended up with AVG Secure Search and toolbar. I think I finally got enough of it off so it leaves me alone but it was so embedded that I could delete it from the registry, run a registry scan and it would be right back. Whew...
Maybe everything will be well now. I guess the next thing will be trying the updates again, perhaps updating to IE 11, and Flash Player 11.9
I had to reinstal Waves installer and register, but Rbass mono and stereo is now showing up in X3, that is good.
I get nervous when my computer starts to act up. I REALLY do NOT want to have to try reinstalling all my programs and VSTs. What a major pain that would be.
I wish I understood Disk imaging... like Acronis. I guess I need to just buy it and a HD the same size as this one and go for it.
Julien

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/14 12:38:06 (permalink)
Mesh
Thanks Julien....
I'm on Win 8 and just did a clean install, so I'm not sure if these updates will affect it......will check on some these programs and see.

So far no issues on W8-64 ... but I have to admit I'm skittish about putting on the 8.1 ... anyone else?

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

spacealf
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/14 15:56:11 (permalink)
Well, instead of Acronis, there is also Windows Backup, so that would go on another disk. Backing up bit for bit or with compression or whatever.

Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/15 13:54:49 (permalink)
No problems this end.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
jbow
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/15 14:16:57 (permalink)
spacealf
Well, instead of Acronis, there is also Windows Backup, so that would go on another disk. Backing up bit for bit or with compression or whatever.

I can do a disk image with Windows Backup? I am guessing that I already have it. I have a backup drive enclosure. I guess I just need to get a comparable size drive to backup to. Since I have never done this I always wonder... If I have multiple drives, should I get a seperate drive for each drive that I want to backup or would one really big drive be OK to just put each "Drive Image" in a different folder... or does it matter?
I am now updated to Flash Player 11.9 (whatever is newest) and am giving it a little time, all seems well. I have 10 Windows updates waiting. After a few days, to see if I have anymore trouble, I'll try updating again. I will go ahead and get a backup drive just in case these symptoms are HW based.

I appreciate all the help!
Julien

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
spacealf
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/15 14:36:15 (permalink)
mmmmm..................I guess not. Windows Backup is different and just windows I guess.
I thought it was more, but all I need is Windows backup because I have anything else on another partition.

When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration. You can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your programs, system settings, and files are replaced with those on the system image.

That is what Help in Windows states about a System Image.
Ah, have to read or look at it better, I guess.

spacealf
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/15 15:39:42 (permalink)
It looked as if only the C:\drive Windows made a backup of. I have another hard disk I have not put in yet. Last time I got Acronis with it, and perhaps used both on my old computer.
I suppose I should install the harddisk and I think reading from one harddisk to another physical harddisk is faster than reading and using only one harddisk.

Oh, well, backed up now, with a new one, and before they use to take the same amount of Gb between the Windows backup and the Acronis regular normal compressed backup so that will be that then.

craigb
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/15 16:09:13 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
No problems this end.

Maybe you should update your spelling and grammar checker just in case though?

jbow
Re: Be careful with the new Windows updates.... 2013/12/15 17:33:19 (permalink)
DAMMIT.... Flash Player is still acting up. I was writing a PM on the forum and the page froze, I switched to one other browser I had open on YT and the page was/is completely black and I have been getting white screens there with the little grey circle and slash, however refresh has been fixing it. This is getting OLD. I don't know if I have some malware that Malwarebytes cannot find or what the problem is. It is aggrivating. I don't guess it was the MS updates. I don't think it is from updating drivers because I already had this problem before I did that. I have done a system restore to before it started and the only thing I have done is to update Flash Player. Maybe they have a bad update. Don't know what to do but this worries me a little.
Any ideas?
Thanks
J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1