Beatscape NEWB questions

Author
Mychael628
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 105
2009/08/30 13:16:58 (permalink)

Beatscape NEWB questions

As Forest Gump would say. I'm not an intelligent man. So please keep any responses simple.

BEATSCAPE:
  • I've enabled midi out and STILL it does not record in an armed MIDI track. It lights up like it's recording, but no data there.
  • How do I get Beatscape to match tempo of a metronome track. ie: I want to use factory settings which are 122 BPM, but my session is 108. How do I adjust to get 122 down to 108 to match?
  • I just want to add a good rhythm track that matches my already recorded music. Am I trying to use the wrong tool ?
Thank you for any help in this!

Michael Stone

Singer-songwriter-radio personality.....
Michael Stone
Michael Stone Music
Michael Stone BLOG
AudioPros.com
AudioPros BLOG
Michael Stone Radio BITS
Sonar PLATINUM - Dell XPS 750-  6 GB ram - Windows 7 - Intel i7 CPU -920 @ 2.67 ghz- 64 bit -
Korg digital piano - Rode NT1 - Shure SM7 - Ovation - Ibanez Elec - Fender Telecaster -Wechter Acoustic

7 Replies Related Threads

rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    Re:Beatscape NEWB questions 2009/08/30 18:32:47 (permalink)
    Hi Michael,

When you're recording from Beatscape, you cannot do it by clicking on the keyboard in the Beatscape GUI. You need to trigger a Beatscape sound with a hardware MIDI controller. That, or you can use the Piano Roll View (PRV) to add the note that corresponds to the Beatscape trigger (C1 for example).

Beatscape does properly follow the project's tempo, assuming that you are using REX files or ACID files (or groove clips created with the Loop Construction View). If you are trying to use Beatscape with normal wave files, Beatscape cannot adapt the file to the project's tempo. But to convert the normal wave file into a groove clip, you can load the audio file into an audio track in the Track View, and then select it and use Ctrl-L (which will convert it into a groove clip). After that, you can drag the new clip from the Track View into one of the Beatscape pads.

If you are just looking at a simple way of adding drums beats to your project, You ought to check out Session Drummer 2.

Enjoy.
    post edited by rstollen - 2009/08/30 18:38:41

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    Mychael628
    Re:Beatscape NEWB questions 2009/08/31 07:25:52 (permalink)
    rstollen

Hi Michael,

When you're recording from Beatscape, you cannot do it by clicking on the keyboard in the Beatscape GUI. You need to trigger a Beatscape sound with a hardware MIDI controller. That, or you can use the Piano Roll View (PRV) to add the note that corresponds to the Beatscape trigger (C1 for example).

Beatscape does properly follow the project's tempo, assuming that you are using REX files or ACID files (or groove clips created with the Loop Construction View). If you are trying to use Beatscape with normal wave files, Beatscape cannot adapt the file to the project's tempo. But to convert the normal wave file into a groove clip, you can load the audio file into an audio track in the Track View, and then select it and use Ctrl-L (which will convert it into a groove clip). After that, you can drag the new clip from the Track View into one of the Beatscape pads.

If you are just looking at a simple way of adding drums beats to your project, You ought to check out Session Drummer 2.

Enjoy.

Rstollen....

EXCELLENT ! I will give this a try when I get back to the studio later today. I never imagined the GUI on the Beatscape interface wouldn't adjust to tempo. I'll give the hardware controller approach a try and (fingers crossed) hope it matches up the tempos.

Also thanks for the WAV tip. I can just see myself spending multiple hours trying to figure that one out as well.

I have used Session 2  drummer but have not been totally satisfied.  That's why I was looking at Beatscape as an alternative. Not only that but I was bound and determined to figure out why I couldn't get this to work properly.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Michael

Michael Stone
    Michael Stone Music
    Michael Stone BLOG
    AudioPros.com
    AudioPros BLOG
    Michael Stone Radio BITS
    Sonar PLATINUM - Dell XPS 750-  6 GB ram - Windows 7 - Intel i7 CPU -920 @ 2.67 ghz- 64 bit -
    Korg digital piano - Rode NT1 - Shure SM7 - Ovation - Ibanez Elec - Fender Telecaster -Wechter Acoustic

Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    Re:Beatscape NEWB questions 2009/08/31 07:47:02 (permalink)
    This sounds somewhat similar to Steinberg's Groove Agent 1. It looks like a Drum Machine complete with its own sequencer, but actually it is more like a drum sample playback device like NI's Battery 3. You need something else to "play" it. In Sonar's case that could be the Step Sequencer or recording direct into the project window (sorry I'm starting to speak Cubease).

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Beatscape NEWB questions 2009/08/31 12:08:24 (permalink)
    they aren't a like..lol

perhaps you should have got the update instead of just..... guessing and talking nick speak

(i.e. not fact)

Mychael628
    Re:Beatscape NEWB questions 2009/09/01 09:49:40 (permalink)
    rstollen

Hi Michael,

Enjoy.
    OK a follow up question on this.... I am using an old KORG digital piano for my MIDI. I am able to get it to fire the TTS and other  units in Producer 8.

But I am UNABLE to get it to fire the pads in Beatscape. I thought the keys on my keyboard would match up to the keys on the virtual keyboard in Beatscape, but it isn't firing.

* Is this an assignment problem on my part ?

I am very confused by MIDI in general and really am trying to get this under control. I am able to use it for the TTS with no problems, recording the MIDI data, but thus far my keyboard isn't firing the pads and NO MIDI DATA is showing in my MIDI tracks in Producer.

Thanks again for all the help.

Michael

Michael Stone
    Michael Stone Music
    Michael Stone BLOG
    AudioPros.com
    AudioPros BLOG
    Michael Stone Radio BITS

Mychael628
    Re:Beatscape NEWB questions 2009/09/01 10:24:04 (permalink)
    I did just find this and hope it will lead me down the path when I get to the studio today:

From Sound On Sound:

Playing Slices From A Keyboard
    When you call up the piano roll view for a track recorded using a MIDI keyboard to trigger slices, Slices and Pads are shown along the left instead of piano notes.
    When you call up the piano roll view for a track recorded using a MIDI keyboard to trigger slices, Slices and Pads are shown along the left instead of piano notes.

Playing pads and playing slices from a keyboard are different operations. As noted earlier, to record pad hits you need to 'Enable MIDI Output' and set the Beatscape MIDI track's input to listen to the Beatscape virtual MIDI Out. However, this trick doesn't seem to work with the virtual keyboard keys along the bottom, even though clicking on them will trigger individual samples. (According to the online Help, this should be possible but if not, it wouldn't be the first time the Help and instrument itself were out of sync.) But you can trigger individual slices from an external MIDI keyboard and record the results into Sonar. In this case, you'd set the Beatscape MIDI track's input to listen to your external MIDI controller, and record MIDI notes into the track as you normally would when playing any external keyboard.
    So why would you want to play slices from a keyboard? Well, you can rearrange the order of slices on the fly by simply playing the keys. Another use is with a drum loop where individual slices have individual drum sounds. You can play these sounds as you would a drum kit, without going through the hassle of bringing the file into a digital audio editor, separating out the hits, placing them on pads, and so on.

http://www.soundonsound.c...sonarworkshop_0109.htm

Michael Stone
    Michael Stone Music
    Michael Stone BLOG
    AudioPros.com
    AudioPros BLOG
    Michael Stone Radio BITS

rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    Re:Beatscape NEWB questions 2009/09/01 15:46:05 (permalink)
    Michael - When you are looking at the Beatscape GUI, you'll see that some of the piano keys are blue. When you load a pad from the Beatscape Factory Content, you are loading a REX file, which has an RX2 file extension.

Typically, the first key on the left is blue, and it corresponds to C1 on your MIDI keyboard. So when you strike that key, Beatscape plays the loop in the active pad. You'll usually see other blue keys as well. Those keys play a single slice of the loop. The main idea to grasp when you use Beatscape is that you can use MIDI to trigger specific slices of a loop. This lets take a drum beat that you like, and create your own beat by triggering individual hits.

BTW, if you're just trying to create beats, this method is more complicated than Session Drummer or other drum plugs.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1