Beatscape

Author
7XL
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 641
2008/11/30 11:08:53 (permalink)

Beatscape

Is there any way to get Beatscape to access a separate Rex file folder? I really don't want to have another 10 Gb, the size of my Rex folder, on my C drive, nor do I want to have a bunch of duplicate files all over the place.

I also noticed that when dragging a file into BS, the only way it seems that you can access your own Rex files, that it imports them to your C: drive. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

It's all behind the scenes.....

24 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Beatscape 2008/11/30 13:03:14 (permalink)
    nope is the short answer, maybe they can address that sooner than later as having 2 copies of the same file is a bit pointless.

I would have much preferred if they had spent the time putting RX2 into sonar natively AND a better implementation of using it into the SFZ format , than dev'ing beatscape to be blunt..

7XL
    RE: Beatscape 2008/11/30 13:45:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog
    I would have much preferred if they had spent the time putting RX2 into sonar natively AND a better implementation of using it into the SFZ format , than dev'ing beatscape to be blunt..

Maybe someone at Cakewalk will read this. I've requested that many times before. If Sonar can open AIFF files why not REX? Rex files are not much different, I believe the difference is like that of ACID files and WAV files.

Fog
    RE: Beatscape 2008/11/30 19:57:37 (permalink)
    7XL they already knows my views on it. I submitted it LONG ago when I first got cake pro. I use another sequencer and prefer that aspect of it.. rx2 / rex is a big enough format not to be ignored to be honest..

heres an example.. grand piano in DP.. 220mb.... rx2 version 44mb... nuff said.. it really would be good if it was in DP for use with multi-samples , although I did notice on reason it converts it to a wav temporarily for playback purposes I guess.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/01 07:33:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 7XL

Is there any way to get Beatscape to access a separate Rex file folder? I really don't want to have another 10 Gb, the size of my Rex folder, on my C drive, nor do I want to have a bunch of duplicate files all over the place.

I also noticed that when dragging a file into BS, the only way it seems that you can access your own Rex files, that it imports them to your C: drive. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

According to the marketing info I've seen, René Ceballos is the creator of Beatscape. René also created Rapture, Dimension Pro, and several other similar-looking Cakewalk synthesizers that are all based on a common technology (though implemented differently for each synth) called the Expression Engine. I suspect that Beatscape is likely also an Expression Engine synth, and if it is then it likely uses registry entries in Windows to point to its sample library location on the hard disk. If that is true then you may be able to use the information in the article Expression Engine Multisample Relocation in the Virtual Instruments section of the Project5 User Wiki to help you derive a similar method for relocating the Beatscape library.

I haven't purchased SONAR 8 PE yet, so I cannot confirm this myself.

Beatscape loop performance instrument—Beatscape, the latest instrument by Cakewalk's premier synthesis architect René Ceballos takes loop manipulation and realtime triggering/performance to new heights. Beatscape provides 16-pads to load and trigger loops or samples for sequencing your productions and beats. Each pad features a full powered REX player, Rapture-style step generator, multiple effect processors, and sophisticated groove slicing and dicing tools powered by Cakewalk's own AudioSnap slicing technology.

Drag and drop audio directly from SONAR onto the Beatscape pads and it's sync'd and ready to go. Use the built in browser to quickly load clips and loops from your collection of previously recorded material, or choose from the massive 4GB REX library of included beats, breaks and phrases in a multitude of genres ranging from house, drum n' bass, hip hop, techno, glitch, latin, reggaeton, and more from the pros at Heatseekers and X-MiX.

Beatscape is the ultimate remixing instrument. Combine audio clips from multiple recording sessions and use the 16 pads to sequence them live or into a SONAR track. Easily load key clips or loops from two separate projects, blend them together, and trigger one shot samples—all on the fly from Beatscape's up-front interface.

Load loops and trigger/mangle them on the fly.
    Rearrange loop slices using the 'timber reorder' slice arranger in Beatscape's Loop Editor window to make new loops or variations of loops.
    Built in Step Generator allows users to quickly and visually draw per-step changes in amplitude, panning, pitch, or LP filter with resonance on individual loops or samples.
    Make your loops sound the way you want with 17 built in high quality effects.
    With 3 effect inserts per pad, Beatscape can handle 48 effects at once.
    Slices from each loop are mapped to their corresponding MIDI channel for pattern programming.
    Easy MIDI mapping lets you simultaneously trigger entire loops and individual slices.
    4 gigabytes of outstanding content arranged as construction kits, broken down into separate layers such as kicks, hats, percussion, snares, synths, and more.
    Fog
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/01 12:17:52 (permalink)
    Bob the "Beatscape is the ultimate remixing instrument." claim is a MASSIVE one.. and well that's hyped, IMHO. The idea might be there for it, but it's not as executed as well as it could / should be, hopefully time will change that.

René's best work so far for me that I know of / use is Rapture followed by z3ta.

post edited by Fog - 2008/12/01 12:19:48
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/01 18:42:53 (permalink)
    Beatscape - abbreviated - BS. Funny. Nope, they ain't gettin' my $180 this year.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/02 01:12:12 (permalink)
    I'm having fun with it...

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/02 19:47:30 (permalink)
    "Beatscape is the ultimate remixing instrument." claim is a MASSIVE one.. and well that's hyped, IMHO. The idea might be there for it, but it's not as executed as well as it could / should be, hopefully time will change that.
    This is the category of synth that Cakewalk's marketing and 'powers-that-be' think that everyone wants. Beatscape is a watered-down shell of what might've been. Don't blame Rene. It's impossible to produce innovative programming with handcuffs & shackles on.
    Nick P
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/03 09:20:16 (permalink)
    The thing is, they can't just keep bolting on more and more junk, thinking customers will just blindly step up to the plate each year and fork over the $180. I think this may be the year they learn this the hard way. To me, S8 shows less innovation and more marketing hype than the past few yearly "subscription" updates. Maybe the McCue's are fine with it, but I'm not. Keeping the $180 in my wallet.

Fog
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/03 13:01:47 (permalink)
    Tom, I'm not blaming René's at all, it's more a case of you know when someone is very capable of making something from past experience.

more the claims about it being the ultimate thing. I remixed a fair few things over the years for others and the best ones I've found are the most challenging, esp. when the tempo is totally mis-matched. I REALLY have to like a tune and only do that with things I like.

for me, some are on a different level.. 2 I'll name and give kudos to are Masters At Work and 4hero.. they simply have a great rep for remixing.. and just taking a tune to a different direction while either bringing a new twist OR being respectful to the original vibe of a tune.

lets face it any chump can whack a 4 to the floor beat behind something just for the cash, with the tools now it's like some people don't even think about it as more than a job to pay the bills and nothing to do with music.

yep there is the thing regarding constraints with a budget / time / manpower allotted to things. if it is to be marketed with such claims, well it should live up to them and it's as simple as that.

To me I might as well use 9 RXP's instead, I have far more control over things that way.

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/03 22:47:52 (permalink)
    Just to stay on topic...I don't care what anyone thinks of Beatscape nor the marketing hype I quoted. I don't have it in my posession because I have not recently purchased a Cakewalk product that includes it. I was just pointing out that René was behind it according to the marketing material, and logically it might have some registry entries that can be used to manipulate it in a fashion similar to the other synths that René has created as an answer to the OP.
    7XL
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/03 22:48:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P

The thing is, they can't just keep bolting on more and more junk, thinking customers will just blindly step up to the plate each year and fork over the $180. I think this may be the year they learn this the hard way. To me, S8 shows less innovation and more marketing hype than the past few yearly "subscription" updates. Maybe the McCue's are fine with it, but I'm not. Keeping the $180 in my wallet.

I really want to know what your little rant has to do with the question at hand? I tire of all the people that take any simple question and run away with it.

I could give a rat's ass less about what you do with your money.

Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/04 02:35:30 (permalink)
    Fusy, fussy, fussy...

I'm with MurderDethKill, it is a lot of fun to play. And it doesn't need a whole lot more added to it either.

On the other hand, I am just wondering if this was that new instrument announced at NAMM, and they stopped it short from becoming what some think it could have been, and then dumped it into Sonar...

Maybe like the original Dimension being a Project5 test balloon... with a full blown workhorse to come...maybe???
    Fog
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/04 09:01:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Trusty

Fusy, fussy, fussy...

I'm with MurderDethKill, it is a lot of fun to play. And it doesn't need a whole lot more added to it either.

far from "fussy" if you do remixes esp. I mean TOTALLY different from the original genre.. and a very different tempo, then you know what's what.. the time would have been better spent implementing REX/RX2 support instead of giving marketing something to add to the spec sheet.. it's trying to appeal to a certain market, maybe people who use MPC's etc.. but well it's not all the way there yet.

start up 9 instances of RXP, loop.... is it so different ?
    post edited by Fog - 2008/12/04 09:03:48
    MurderDethKill
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/04 18:40:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog

ORIGINAL: Trusty

Fusy, fussy, fussy...

start up 9 instances of RXP, loop.... is it so different ?

Well, yeah...

It is!

sorry, couldn't help myself...
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2008/12/04 18:52:25

My site i guess;)
    Fog
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/04 19:53:32 (permalink)
    MurderDethKill, wasted on me.. I'm drink JD more than beer these days

I did say 9... I guess ya must have started on the cooking sherry early
    doc_drop
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/05 11:53:28 (permalink)
    Alex,

I appreciate you popping in, as well as listening to our not always so gentle complaints. I actually love Beatscape in some ways. It is a lot of fun, and you can go really crazy with the step sequencers and FX.

For me the main frustration is how hard it is to load and/or audition user files. I have tons of REX's and RX2's. But it is such a pain to audition and load them (not to mention the copying of the data to a 2nd location) that I have gone back to using RXP instead of Beatscape to use them.

Please work on the file browser, pretty please!

Thanks,
    Doc DROP
    Fog
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/05 13:00:06 (permalink)
    Alex , I know your not.. I did forward on what I thought to a certain member of staff, and I'm sure you have read it, besides the original person I sent it to / via.

it's the whole term of "remix" , to some people it constitutes muting the drums and replacing them with a rubbish new drum beat, the most common one being a tried/tested/overused 4 to the floor beat so it gets played out in a club (boring rubbish that an over hyped sid/chip music stealing producer does). OR totally reconstructing the elements / being sympathetic to the original (more like a cover version). By accident / fate I'm luckily enough to know a renowned remixer (who will remain nameless) whose work precedes him and has been a choice for many.

I want to hand back work I've remixed to the original maker and although it's their work, make them feel dumb founded in a good way.. THEN you know you have done something.
    post edited by Fog - 2008/12/05 13:04:21
    Nick P
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/06 08:41:46 (permalink)
    Alex, what's the deal with Project5? Are you dropping it or continuing to develop and support it? That should not require any thing more than a simple, direct answer. How about it?

MurderDethKill
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/07 03:59:57 (permalink)
    did i hit the reply button?

opps!

my bad.
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2008/12/07 04:48:38

My site i guess;)
    7XL
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/07 11:17:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MurderDethKill

did i hit the reply button?

opps!

my bad.

I know what you said and I agree.

Like some Somali pirate.

Desperate Dan
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1554
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/15 06:30:55 (permalink)
    Just popping in - we're not giving up on Beatscape, FWIW, so we're absolutely watching and listening to what you guys have to say to help steer us right. Thanks!

It's a pity you guys are only monitoring the beatscape thread and not some of the others where people are having serious problems with Sonar Functionality and Bugs, and if you are monitoring them, why aren't you commenting there as well? To be frank I am seriously dissapointed in Cakewalk and their Selective Bug policies at the moment. I haven't experienced such poor level of communication and "Don't give a damn attitude" in all the Years I've been Selling/Beta Testing and Using Cakewalk. (DOS 4 and every version Onwards)

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
    ducatibruce2
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/16 07:00:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 7XL

Two hacks that might help (though if you drag into BS from explorer they'll always get copied- but not to the C drive)
    - XP registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Beatscape\1.0] contains
    "User Data Folder"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Cakewalk\\Beatscape"
    Beatscape looks for a folder called "User Samples" under the defined path. Anything found in that path is displayed under the "User" browser in BS. So if you change the value to "User Data Folder"="G:\\Samples" for example; anything contained in the path "G:\Samples\User Samples" will show up in BS under User browser. I haven't fully tested this with BS but preliminary tests suggest it'll work if the path structure works for you. Beware BS uninstall deleting samples/sounds though. Files dragged into BS will be copied to the "Import" folder under "G:\Samples\User Samples".

- Symbolic Links see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx for a utility. Simplistic functional description - creates a shortcut that looks & functions like a real folder in Windows. Simple explanation - create a junction called "User Samples" in the User Data Folder path that points to your existing sample library (eg "G:\Samples"), create a folder in "G:\Samples\" called Imported. Anything contained in "G:\Samples\" will show up in BS's User browser area. Files dragged from Explorer into BS will be copied to "G:\Samples\Imported".
    A couple a caveats - "junctions" that loop back on themselves or back "above" themseleves in the path can be nasty - eg explorer "finds" will loop forever.
    & Anything that window's deletes the junction file "User Samples" will delete amything & everything contained at "G:\Samples\" eg maybe BS uninstall - you must always use the junction delete syntax Again, not fully tested with BS - but I have used with success on other software that insists that samples be installed where it wants them.

Both above are, of course, totally unsupported - use at your own risk. HTH

S8.5.3PE & X1d P Exp & X2P, Q6600 @3Ghz, 4GB DDR2, XP SP3
    With Knobs: 2 x Yamaha i88x mlan (ASIO), RS7000, Motif ESR, Roland SI24, VSynth XT, Varios, Fantom XR, JunoD, HPD10, Korg PadKontrol
    No knobs: P5, DimPro, Rapture, Z3ta+, IK stuff, ReCycle, Komplete8
    Fog
    RE: Beatscape 2008/12/18 19:19:56 (permalink)
    another thing I thought of.. hhm call it a light bulb moment (40 watt.. not 60 watt )

instead of right clicking and having cut / paste etc on the pads.. how about different playback modes.. you'd need an integer for each pad to specify the mode.

e.g.

loop on / off.... where it's just doing what it currently does

continue mode... where if you turn it off .. when u start it again it continues from the last point (although that might cause issues with chunks of the loop being a bit loud, but a very small volume attack could fix that if needed?)

retrig.. where it retriggers the sample if you hit from a pad.

that's just 3, you could make it do a backwards playback or things like a sustain loop given 2 markers.

how would you tell which is in which mode? well colour the pads differently

hopefully that makes some sense.

post edited by Fog - 2008/12/18 19:22:23
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1