Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window

Author
rainmaker1011
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 652
2010/11/20 13:41:35 (permalink)

Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window

Hi,
I bought new Yamahas MSP5 monitors, plugged them to my edirol sound card, unbalanced jack cables.
When I have my sound card off and I turn the monitors on, everything is ok, they are quiet, no hiss etc.

But when I turn on the soundcard, strange sounds start coming out, like aliens, quiet but noticeable.
Then, when I open any Sonar project, as soon as the project loads up, quiet constant beep sound starts. Annoying. It is of some high frequency, 1k or so...

What is it? USB cable interfering with something? Electricity??? Monitors out cables interfering with something? Didnt have this problem with same cables and same soundcard and same placement of my old Yamahas MSP5. 

Please, give my some help.

Thanks

Best Regards,  
Marek

------------------------
  DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud

20 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/20 15:50:48 (permalink)
    What changed?

It almost seems like you are describing noise that is getting onto the sound cards circuit.

Have you perhaps just rebuilt the computer in a new config? Or maybe placed another card in an adjacent slot?

How about other device drivers? For example; Is Wi-Fi enabled rather than disabled?

Good Luck,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/20 18:26:17 (permalink)
    THe unbalanced cables could very well be picking up all sorts of noise..... if you have a wireless mouse, the internal computer things, stuff in the room making RF noise....

first thing...get some good balanced or shielded cables and see if the noise goes away.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rainmaker1011
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/21 14:53:10 (permalink)
    Thank you guys.
    Well, I havent changed anything but monitors. Maybe there were some Win updates installed but I did not changed VGA or Edirol drivers.

The M16-DX manual says, monitor OUTs are 1,4'' phone jacks. I am using Planet Waves "jack-to-jack" cables to connect monitors with the soundcard / mixer. Although the distance between the soundcard and monitors is something about 1 meter, the length of cables is over 3 meters. Can be the hum and noise that I hear somehow related to this? I tried another cable, a cheap one and the beeping hum was still there.

I just made sure all PC, soundcard and monitors are plugged in the same electricity plug. No change.

It weird because it is somehow connected to what am I doing on PC. When I open for example Windows Media player and hit Play, the beeping hum appears. When I hit Stop, the hum goes away. The same happens when I load up any Sonar project. When the project is fully loaded, I can see all the tracks etc., the beeping-hum appears. When I close the project, it goes away.

Maybe reinstalling Edirol drivers would be worth to try. But I have a double-boot system, one Windows for my personal work and one is Sonar dedicated. And I have the problem on both. 

Just unplugged the USB cable from the mixer and hit Play in WM. The beeping hum was not there. Obviously :). But this says to me it is a soundcard-driver-USB cable problem.

Will let you know if driver reinstall worked. 

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
      DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
    rainmaker1011
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/21 15:07:49 (permalink)
    Well, driver re-installation did not helped. I do not know what to try next :(

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    rainmaker1011
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/21 15:14:07 (permalink)
    Tried my headphones, phones OUT from the mixer and the beep is there as well. It is very subtle, high frequency beep, like the hearing test tones... It starts when the audio starts.

Now  am not sure :) whether there had been the beep before I bought new monitors.

Even though it is subtle, I can hear it even during playback and it is really annoying. I wish I could get rid of it....

Any further help is appreciated.
    Thanks  

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/21 15:52:43 (permalink)
    you've probably installed a shareware version of some plugin that has a beep that won't be removed until you pay for it or like in the case of Guitar Rig that comes with sonar - it will beep like that until you register it with IK.  and some templates might have it loaded as default.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    rainmaker1011
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/21 16:30:53 (permalink)
    not the case.

I hear the beep when I play any mp3 in WMP. It is not like the copy-protection beep in plugins. 

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/21 16:46:08 (permalink)
    since it's coming out of your soundcard - I'd look in the soundcard software.  I'm not familiar with the EDIROL M-16DX- maybe there's something in their software that has to be activated or not used?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/21 17:51:41 (permalink)
    I am at a loss to offer a suggestion... which really frustrates me because I like to help fix problems like this.

After reading the further details... I sorry to say that I still don't have anything good to suggest.

Some last questions:

1) Are the monitors immediately adjacent to your DAW? Can you move them further away? It could be shielding issues... to or from the computer/monitors.

2) Did you leave them plugged in when you tried the headphones? What happens when the cables to the monitor are not hooked up to the sound card so that only the headphones are hooked up?

best regards,
    mike

rainmaker1011
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/22 08:00:15 (permalink)
    Hi Mike,

PC tower is under the table, on the table there is a LCD monitor and on the left and right from it there are my monitors. The same layout as I had with my old monitors.

When I plugged my headphones into the headphones out, monitors were plugged in the monitor out outputs. It makes no difference when I unplug the monitors.

Another detail is that the subtle beep is not connected to the playback volume but goes up when I turn the volume up on the monitors...

Maybe the beep has been always there but when I was using the other monitors, maybe I had them set to lower volume, the volume knob on the monitors was set to lower values than I have it now, so now I can hear the beep, hum, noise...

I just turned the volume on the monitors a little down and I no more hear the beep. But the volume knob is only in the third position from ZERO. so it is really attenuated. If I would turn the volume up to 50%, the beep, noise would become very loud.

I recorded the noise so you can hear it. It is a 2MB wav file (when I exported it into MP3, the noise was gone ) www.jamadza.com/up/noise.wav.
    PS: it is really subtle so you have to turn the volume fairly up to hear it.

When I am thinking about it now, one thing has changed. The old monitors had the electric cable built-in and it was a native EU cable plug. But these new ones, I ordered them from DV so they came with removable cables, not built-in, just like you have on your PC or LCD monitor. And the plugs are GB. So there were two GB-to-EU plug extensions enclosed. Maybe this can be the problem. I will try some native EU cables and will see.

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/22 10:15:25 (permalink)
    The only problem I can imagine from using different power supply connections is that you may be losing your grounding with one of the adapters... but I doubt it because I assume the adapters are fairly standard for adapters.

"Another detail is that the subtle beep is not connected to the playback volume but goes up when I turn the volume up on the monitors..."

This tells us that the noise is getting on the circuit after the D/A output conversion so that does narrow down the issue a bit. If it responded to your playback volume there would be a lot more things to consider.

It's impractical for me to download the 2MB file at the moment... but I suspect the noise wouldn't tell me anything that would lead to a better suggestion on my part.

The fact that it appears on your headphones as well as the new monitors AND seems to be the result of something AFTER the D to A output conversion suggests that this is not caused by the monitors and so I suspect that you may just now be noticing something that has been there all along.

It is somewhat possible that noise is getting into the monitors and traveling down the double duty shield/ground connection of the unbalanced connections and the noise somehow gets into your headphones... but it seems like you eliminated that possibility when you unplugged the monitors and checked the headphones. It would also point to bad engineering on the sound card... and your gear list suggests that you gear is good stuff.

With regards to the attenuation on your monitors... have you calibrated your playback system? You may simply be driving the monitors with a wicked hot signal that reveals all the noise. Usually a hot pre and an attenuated post will result in a low noise floor... but sometimes one stage in the chain will exasperate the issue.

I suggest running a test tone down your system and setting the levels at each stage so that they are clean... then use the monitor level controls to set your test tone to a SPL (sound pressure level) that you wish to routinely work at. Lots of people use a SPL meter to set it in the region of 80-85dBSPL at the listening position. If you don't have a meter just use your good sense and instinct to get to a useful level.

I hesitate to recommend the Bob Katz method by name because I feel that he has been credited with inventing a system that existed long before he came along... but Mr. Katz's digidoo website has some good explanations about setting up levels for playback. I think the info and protocol he spells out may be helpful for you... so go to that site and get the pink noise test tone and run thru the setup.

I hope that will help you and get you back to a comfortable situation.

very best regards,
    mike

rainmaker1011
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/27 11:48:16 (permalink)
    Hi Mike. 
    Sorry I have not replied until now, but I was busy at school.

I have not calibrated my system yet, but I plan on doing it during Christmas time. Thanks for the tips.

I just continued troubleshoot the beeping hum and I connected the soundcard to my old HP notebook with WinXP and 6-year old registry and whole system. You can imagine what a mess it is :).

Installed WinXP edirol drivers, connected the USB cable and..... NO HUM, HISS, BEEP. nice, clean sound. As soon I plugged the cable to my DAW PC, the hum and hiss and beep was back. 

so to me it says, the problem is PC related. either the USB hubs are broken or it has something to do with Win7+drivers configuration. I am downloading the latest nvidia drivers, will see if this helps.

When I turn the volume on monitors up, I can hear mouse movements and clicks :). Everytime I move with the mouse, there is "vrrrrmmmmrrmrmmm" coming out. :) Silly :) Or when I right-click on the desktop, short "brrmrmrmm" comes out. 

I suspect it is related to the graphic card, but I am not sure as because on the other partition, which is only for DAW, there is another VGA driver installed, older that my current but the hum is there too.

So far I am sure, the USB cable is OK, the soundcard itself is OK, the monitors are OK.

I am thinking of reinstalling my DAW Windows to Win764bit when I purchase Sonar X1. Maybe it will change everything :).

Will keep you informed.
    Thank you for your time and valuable help.

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    rainmaker1011
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/27 12:04:09 (permalink)
    Sadly new VGA drivers did not help. :( I am lost.

I just noticed that the hum is perfectly related to the HDD activity. It is a sound description of the HDD activity LED light on the PC case. You can say when the LED light blinks by just listening to the hum. Very strange.

Win7 32bit PRO is up-to-date, every update installed, VGA drivers are up-to-date, Edirol drivers too.

Heeelp :(

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/27 12:35:19 (permalink)
    Maybe check your DAWs USB root config and see what the power saving settings are? Turn power savings off.

Also I'm not sure where it is but I think here is a way to make sure that the USB port does not try to send power to the device.

I assume the Edirol M-16DX is the "sound card"?

Does the Daw have any on board sound? Is it disabled?

Do you have a LAN, wi-fi, or Modem enabled on the DAW?

Just guessing at this point.

best regards,
    mike

rainmaker1011
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/27 13:05:40 (permalink)
    Yop, Edirol M16-DX is the sound card. Power savings is off and always was.

While I had the volume on monitors turned up and heard the hum and hiss, I went to Dveice Manager and disabled the onboard sound. No change. Then I disabled M-16DX audio, no change.

Maybe this is crucial. I hear the same hiss and noise when in BIOS!!. As soon as I turn on the PC, the hiss and hum appear.

I tried it with LAN disabled, no change. No wi-fi or modem.

I suspect it is a HW issue... :/
    post edited by rainmaker1011 - 2010/11/27 13:07:46

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/28 11:08:32 (permalink)
    Have you purposefully plugged the Roland or the monitors into a different power circuit? This may/will cause a ground loop but may serve as an experiment to see where the noise is coming from.

Have you tried reversing the polarity of the interconnect cables between the Roland and the Monitors?

I do not mean switching phase on the Roland... I mean specifically swapping the wiring so that the interconnect is physically swapped/flipped.

Final guesses while still assuming the only thing that actually changed was the new monitors being plugged in.

best,
    mike

rainmaker1011
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/11/28 11:35:57 (permalink)
    Before all PC, monitors and Roland were in different power outlets. And the hum was there. Now, all PC, monitors and Roland are in one power extension and the hum is there as well. So I think this is not the cause.

I am not so technically skilled to swap the wiring in the cables. :) and those cables were pretty expensive too :). wish McGyver was my friend :).  

I think we have narrowed down the possible causes to some kind of interference inside the PC case. Why? because when I plug Roland to a notebook, it works OK. When I unplug the USB from PC, the hiss is gone. 

So I ordered a PCI USB 2.0. controller for 13 EUR and will see if this solves this issue. I googled "USB hiss" and in some threads they suggest to use PCI USB card. Well I hope it will fix it.

There is a ground screw (?) on the Roland mixer where I the grounding cable can be attached. I tried it - one end of the cable was attached to the mixer and the other was attached to the PC case, under one of those case crews. I mus say, the hiss was reduced by maybe 30%, but the annoying beeping was still there. So it is definitely some kind of interference. 

I have some spare, not in use power cables inside the PC box coming from the PSU. Maybe it would be worth isolating them somehow. 

Nonetheless, the PCI USB card will arrive not later than on Thursday, so I will let you know if it helped.

Thanks Mike ;)

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    rainmaker1011
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/12/01 15:47:48 (permalink)
    I just installed the USB PCI card and unfortunately, it is the same or even worse in terms of audio latency.

So I tried the following: Edirol interface has a ground screw where I attached one end of a simple speaker cable. Then I was moving the other end of the cable around the PC case and was pulling it on various metal parts of the case - screws, chassis, HDD screws etc. And the hiss and quiet beeping (when streaming audio) was changing - decreasing as I was pulling the cable on different places in the PC case. 
    I ended up with the cable attached under one screw which is holding the cover of the PC case and the hum and hiss is about 40% lower, but still it is there and it is annoying and disturbing. 

What does this imply? What else can I try to solve this issue? Would a photo of the PC case interior help you come up with some ideas? 

Because the hum is following the HDD activity and a quite beeping starts right after I start to play any audio, I think the interference is related to HDDs. 

Any further help will be much appreciated

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/12/01 16:35:36 (permalink)
    The reason I asked about interconnects to the monitors is that I think one of the chassis shields is not doing it's job... this can happen if a connection that expects to be hooked to dual purpose chassis and circuit ground is not hooked up properly.

When prosumer appliances share the chassis shield and the circuit ground it can introduce problems. One way problems can be introduced is when unbalanced connections are hooked up the opposite of that which provide chassis and circuit grounds.

So, if your connections to your monitors are reversed you may be negating the benefit of the shielding and actually turning your connections into an antenna.

I assume that the power connections are all either properly wired with grounds or at least polarized and hooked up correctly... it seems like you said they were. So, that leaves me to suspect that the interconnects between your Edirol and Monitors may be part of an issue.

It's a wild guess... but it seems like it's time to consider it.

best,
    mike

rainmaker1011
    Re:Beep sound starts coming out of my monitors when I hit play or open a project window 2010/12/01 16:57:04 (permalink)
    and how would you explain that when I connect my notebook to Edirol the noise is gone? 

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1