Beginner Recording Vocals Help

Author
stellina91
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2010/01/26 00:26:12 (permalink)

Beginner Recording Vocals Help

Hi all,

I have a Samson C01U mic with which I am using to record my vocals. When I go into Sonar LE do I need to select a certain type of track list or do I just simply need to hit record? Sorry if it's a silly question but I'm not too sure how I can achieve the best vocal quality possible. Also, is there a way I can record the vocals without hearing the backing track as I am not using headphones.

Thanks for your help :)

5 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Beginner Recording Vocals Help 2010/01/26 03:29:15 (permalink)
    First of all, read the manual carefully. I haven't seen LE's manual, so I don't know if it's good or not, but anyway..

You don't mention whether you already have been able to record with your mic. At the top of the page there's a thread about your mic brand.

Of course  you can record the vocals without hearing the backing tracks, but then the vocals are out of sync and very likely off key as well. and it's not a simple job to fix it. I'd say you can't do without headphones. Monitoring vocals through speakers doesn't (usually) work because of the feedback.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Zohni
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Beginner Recording Vocals Help 2010/01/30 03:38:20 (permalink)
    When I go into Sonar LE do I need to select a certain type of track list or do I just simply need to hit record?

Just make sure that the input of the track you are using for the vocal, is confingured to the Mic as an input source.

I'm not too sure how I can achieve the best vocal quality possible.

Recording vocal is a matter of combining good audio level with proper audio effects. Let alone the "rephasing" of the sentences themselves. Frank Sinatra was the Master a rephrasing.

Also, is there a way I can record the vocals without hearing the backing track as I am not using headphones.

You must use headphones to synch your vocal with the back ground music tracks. Otherwise, as Kalle Rantaahoo said, you will be off beat and off key.

I have  the same Microphone you have and the same software. I use it often. Here are some samples:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Misso+D%27Egitto&search_type=&aq=f

Good Luck,

Zohni ( or Misso D'Egitto)
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Beginner Recording Vocals Help 2010/01/30 19:54:45 (permalink)
    When I go into Sonar LE do I need to select a certain type of track list or do I just simply need to hit record? Sorry if it's a silly question but I'm not too sure how I can achieve the best vocal quality possible. Also, is there a way I can record the vocals without hearing the backing track as I am not using headphones.

You need to select a mono input for the track. If you dont want to hear the backing track, just mute it in sonar. and quality of the vocals is dependent on your pre-amps and your performance and the room your in and the mic your using. If your mic is a usb mic. I wouldnt exspect too much from it. If its not a usb mic, then your ok
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Beginner Recording Vocals Help 2010/01/30 19:57:20 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

At the top of the page there's a thread about your mic brand.

it should cover ANY usb mic besides the samson's also.. as they just use the generic windows thing. there was a computer music mag guide to recording vocals not so long ago that might have loads of info for you..

but partly it's the environment.. you want it dead sounding, why people use HEAVY curtains or things like mattress's , so they work by absorbing.

I'm sure there is a LOT of info in the techniques part of the forum also.

unless you sounded like barry white (i.e. a VERY low voice) you can cut off some of the low frequencies.

as for recording vocals.. headphones and playing the tune into them is pretty much a must.
     I'm sure you have things like a popper stopper? 

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Beginner Recording Vocals Help 2010/02/01 04:31:15 (permalink)
    Hi Stellina,

If one is singing into the mic, and the accomp track is playing and heard in speakers (not using earphones), one can not avoid picking up some sound from the speakers.

So, you'd need headphones. If not, try lower speakers volume, and sing and cover the mic by being close to the mic.

But with headphones, you can get total voice on one track separate, as explained above, and there are other ways, but they would depend on your sound card, or card interface.

One simple way (using headphones): the backing track is already recorded in an audio track. It is meant to only play. You hear it from the headphone jacks. You plug your mic in the mic port, for a normal mic, not for usb mics, though. Set the input of a second audio track as mic and enable that track for recording. So second track only records from mic while you can hear the backing track. You might need to push the "Echo" button of the Mic track..That's colored green, and is on the right side of the [R] record button, and looks like this [.>>], so as to hear also your voice from the earphones, along with the track.

I really think in your question you are not really asking about singing without hearing the accomp track, though. You kind of have to hear it, so to sing along, right? So you'd have to use headphones, if what you mean is to keep the voice separate, and not feed from speakers into mic, seems to me.

Good luck.
    post edited by NoKey - 2010/02/01 04:36:23
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1