Beginner's Frustration

Author
Robomusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8943
2005/03/31 14:27:50 (permalink)

Beginner's Frustration

I was reading mfwmiles and Millerbills little exchange, and it got me to thinking, this can be very frustrating at time. Sometimes it seems that no one is listening, and no one cares, but sometimes it is because we are frustrated and are not listening. Folks are giving help, but blindly, and then sometimes we have answered that question forty eleven times in the last two weeks, it does amaze one when a newbie comes along and says " I installed the program and it won't make any sounds what is wrong?" Your first inclination is to respond with, "to start with your an idiot " I mean how do I know what is wrong, for all I know you are not capable of eating with a fork without serious eye damage!! I must have far more information to make a fairly educated guess, and even then I am relying on the fact that your computer is working properly, and is not a jerry rigged nightmare of inadequate spare part from a rejected typing pool. That is why I took the time to write the tutorials I did, as well as some of the others here who have personally taken the time to do likewise.

I would like to address a point I have made in the past, that needs to be brought to the forefront on occasion. This form of art, home digital audio recording, is not a ... well cakewalk, it is complex and difficult. we are purusing thru best buy one day and see a box that says "complete audio and midi digital recording studio, make your home computer a full recording system". Never mind that the maker of this wonder software has never seen your computer and is guessing that it is somewhat more advanced than an abacus and a pad of paper, and never mind that there are literally 1,375,922 possible configuration of the basic home computer, no really i counted them, okay just trust me on this.

Let us compare a beginner home studio with a professional studio, Pro: three top of the line P-4 rack mount boxes, networked together to stream from each opthers hard drive and function as one, with 4 gig of ram, interchangealbe 200 gig hard drives , three dedicated 8 in/out sound cards, a copy of sonar producers series, and about $2,000 in other software for mastering, a dozen $1,000 condensor mikes, a dozen or more dynamic mike ranging in price from $200 to $500, 32 channel mixing console, 2,000 watt biamped stereo amplifiers, 3 sets of near field monitors, one with a subwoofer to reference the sound of the mix with and without extra bass, an isolation room with padding for drums and a couple for vocals, a complete headphone monitoring system for each musician, a rack full of effects, compressors, conditioners, reverbs, etc, I could go on for a while with the rest of the cool specialized stuff, and the tens of thousands of dollars that went into it, not to mention the experienced trained recording tech. Home studio: a PIII 700 Mhz 'puter, with 128K of ram, a built in sound card, a $10 plastic 'puter mike sticking up off it's plastic base like the stem of some de-petaled flower, and a copy of MC to catch all this magic, Wham Bam thank Ya mame, we got a hit record on the way!

Okay I am being silly, some of you have real nice system, and that will do a great job of handling the load of recording, but still you are a long way from having a true DAW system (Dedicated Audio Workstation) I mean If you bought that little box at best buys and thought I going to be a supah stah, i mean get real, it takes a little work, first if you are serious about learning to record, then take the time to do the research and find out what it will take to get setup properly, it does not have to be top dollar. First a decent sound card, sound blaster at least, if not M-Audio or equal, a decent mike, at least spend $40 for it, it is better if it has a balanced plug, (XLR) a good preamp, audio buddy or even better, a small mixer then armed with those features and a copy of none other than MC you can actually record a decent sounding tune. Digital home recording has come of age, read all you can on the subject join several forums, ask questions be a sponge, albeit not one with square pants. above all save your nickle and dimes and upgrade your equipment from time to time. If you were going to be a great artist you most likely would not settle for a box of crayons!!

Have a great day and eat your vegetables!
post edited by Robomusic - 2006/01/05 11:42:58

9 Replies Related Threads

CannyLad
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Automating & instruments definitions (new user) 2005/03/31 14:50:00 (permalink)
    Please help,

I can not seem to import any instruments definitions into my MC also my automation is grayed out in my toolbars. This was not a problem in my old Cakewalk Express software.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks CannyLad.
    millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: Automating & instruments definitions (new user) 2005/03/31 18:37:36 (permalink)
    Thanks. Robo - Very well put as ALWAYS!

You have always been more patient than I. To those of you who think I made a complete fool of myself, you're probably right. To the serious [and not so serious among you] I apologize.

Robo knows I came to this forum very angry with Cakewalk. I took his calm and reasoned advice and began to learn. I stayed with the forum because I kept learning something new. There have been times that I thought I should jump ship and concentrate on my music. After all, I could get more done if I wasn't trying to learn and help on the forum. BUT, just when I thought I couldn't take another "why do I hear and echo question," one of you dudes or the occasional dudette would ask a question that set me on a quest. Something I didn't know. Believe me I learn more from your questions than I ever did from the manual. Not only that, I'm starting to know where Cakewalk has hidden some of its information in the MC Help File.

I think anyone who trys to help on this forum only wants you to know that we try, sometimes we're wrong, but usually at least one of us knows what we're talking about. It is a program that definitely is not a "Cakewalk," as Robomusic says; however, it is worth all of our time.

Don't be afraid of asking a question. Just realize that if we can't help you, it isn't because we don't want to. Besides, if you don't ask questions how am I suposed to learn anything?

Don't kill the messenger. If we can't figure it out, keep experimenting or rereading whatever you can find, sooner or later it will work.
    This forum is about US and how we can HELP each other.

The best advice I can give you is to follow the instructions that are given to you and if you don't understand the instructions ask for more clarification. If it doesn't work, reread what someone took the time to suggest - maybe you didn't understand what was really being said. We all make mistakes, but we all really just want to make music! And rememember respect is a two-way street.

If I've made anyone afraid to ask a question, I am sorry. Really, I'm not going to dump on you or laugh at you [without a sincere attempt at funin' with you] -

And to CannyLad -- You are kidding us - aren't you???????? Good One Laddie!
    post edited by millerbill - 2005/03/31 18:56:01
    newguy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Automating & instruments definitions (new user) 2005/04/01 10:56:47 (permalink)
    Great words guys, you have helped us a lot and I really appreciate it!!!
    az284eddie
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Automating & instruments definitions (new user) 2005/07/18 21:49:36 (permalink)
    you can say that again. them great guys have made a cakewalker out of me. when I cakecrawling in diapers. they taught me how to cakewalk.
    Now can you give the directions how to get back to the forum?
    post edited by az284eddie - 2005/07/18 21:58:07

A Z\28 for Eddie. and a digitech2112 too!!!!!!
    I am az284eddie your MC friend
    http://www.motagator.net/az284eddie
    joeh20_444
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Automating & instruments definitions (new user) 2005/07/18 23:08:32 (permalink)
    If I may make a suggestion to the newbies, it would be the search button on this forum. Do the homework before posting a question. We've seen up to 7 posts a day about the directx problem on install. I'm willing to bet money they didn't search for it (or look it up where it is explained on cakewalk's tech support site). Good post guys.

Joe
    MusicLine
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Automating & instruments definitions (new user) 2006/01/01 13:29:22 (permalink)
    Hi CannyLad,
    I've just seen your posting from a while ago. Have you been able to resolve the problem of importing instrument definitions into MC ?

I've just bought the software, and I'm stuck whit this issue as well....

Please let me know.

Thanks
    electroylite
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Automating & instruments definitions (new user) 2006/01/05 06:16:04 (permalink)
    bump for robo

Motagator:http://www.motagator.net/bands/319/
    MySpace:http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=26880723
    MC4, Winxp home media edition sp2, 920 Pentium D Processor, 2.0GB Mem, 300 GB HD, GNX4
    millerbill
    RE: Automating & instruments definitions (new user) 2006/01/05 13:28:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MusicLine

Hi CannyLad,
    I've just seen your posting from a while ago. Have you been able to resolve the problem of importing instrument definitions into MC ?

I've just bought the software, and I'm stuck whit this issue as well....

Please let me know.

Thanks

First of all, Canny was being canny and was poking fun.

Second - this discussion has gone on for over two years. So far no one has reported total sucess with Instrument definitions and Music Creator. This program is BASIC and a lot of things that used to be included in Cakewalk products are now only included in their high-end offerings like Sonar.

If you solve the problem we will all be happy for you, but sadly, if we can believe past reports, you will probably never find a solution.

By the way, did you ever read the answers to your previous posting?? http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=572737

quote:

. But, how do you switch between the banks?
    Try the Upper Menu Instert Bank/Patch Change. You can get more info in the help file.
    Has anyone managed to add an instrument to MC? None that I know of.

I can't beleive that Cakewalk decided to remove "Add/Remove Instrument" button that existed for years in old versions of HS and to put us through all this hassle....
    Welcome to the stripped down version of Cakewalk.
    post edited by millerbill - 2006/01/05 13:37:37
    millerbill
    RE: Beginner's Frustration 2006/02/08 12:04:15 (permalink)
    An oldy but a goody.

And lately - so appropriate.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1