Beginning to have some doubts...

Author
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
2018/04/07 20:12:01 (permalink)

Beginning to have some doubts...

Small retirement account sitting off to the side and get quarterly performance statements.

Dear John, then some personalized chit chat to make the communication more real and cozy.

Seems the stock market isn't doing too good however.

After the one on one pleasantries, it says, "We are pleased to inform you that your account has lost $4645 since Jan 1."

I'm beginning to think that there might not even be a real person behind the mailer. There may be no one but a robot who really cares if I have spring tulips coming up in the garden. I am shaken to realize that I might have been getting form letters all along. What is this world coming to.

John

7 Replies Related Threads

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Beginning to have some doubts... 2018/04/07 21:20:29 (permalink)
    I'm afraid your fearless leader is destabilizing the financial markets. We Canucks are feeling it too. I got out of my last investment in the stock market mid February and very glad I did. Hopefully this is a trough that the economy will climb out of. Too much uncertainty. Vote in the mid-terms and pray for relief in 2020. Good luck.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    tobiaslindahl
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: Beginning to have some doubts... 2018/04/07 21:27:23 (permalink)
    We are due for a major downturn, its been more than 10 years since the last one and that is not normal. The central banks are printing money left and right and everyone is drowning in debt. The stock markets could easily drop 50% or more, and to be honest they should, as they are insanely onverpriced at the moment. 

Doesn't matter much who is at the helm in the US with 21 TRILLION and counting in US debt atm. Imagine if interest rates were to normalize, totally unsustainable. 

We should have taken our medicine in 08, but we did not and it will be all the more painfull once we are forced too. Hang on tight! 
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Beginning to have some doubts... 2018/04/07 22:10:54 (permalink)
    Start here:

https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365

If you are going to read only one book in your life on investing and saving for retirement, make it this one.  I have read many books on these topics and this is the one I always recommend to friends who don't know much.  Of course, given my age (I am four years retired), most of my friends who aren't already in good financial shape are starting *way* too late.
    post edited by dmbaer - 2018/04/08 20:43:57
    JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: Beginning to have some doubts... 2018/04/07 23:22:13 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the link and also the real warnings.

In my late 60's and in a good place although took sacrifice. Me and the wife were heathen missionary workers in different parts of the world when we collided, trying to save the lowest lost christian from the brimstone pit.. Working in hell holes of human suffering that should not exist. Thought to give it a go together thru life. Started late in our 30's, penniless and no skills that would bring in anything but minimum wage. Was still too young to be a Walmart greeter.

Had learned to live resourceful and austere, blessed third world mentality inflicted through pain and instinct to survive. So now we are vegetable drains on the US social security system after letting 40 years of employment smoke settle. As much as I have cursed the American system, it is good to get a check every month. By the grace of Allah, lifestyle is about as good as I can wish for, even if the statistics say I should be wallowing in the pain of poverty. We just don't need money for anything outside of food, utilities and property tax. Money not good for much else. The moment to moment miracle of our life is priceless.

I did go thru vst withdrawal but soon shook of the hypnotism that I can't do anything musical without firing up the plastic to get the 3 day thrill of owning the latest and greatest. So cool now because I haven't purchased a new vst for over a year and still can't see the end of what I already have.

Somber warning to the mostly still young of you out there like Dmbaer warned, especially if you are supporting a family depending on you. Start pulling the reins, the habits, the mindset now. Save out of every paycheck and adjust lifestyle. Only hurts for a couple months until the extra 100 bucks less is normal. Set priorities for the relative longterm even if it hurts, because tomorrow comes faster than you think, like Pink Floyd said. You don't want to get as old as me and regret that you should have made better decisions earlier.

Peace and all that stuff,
    John
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: Beginning to have some doubts... 2018/04/08 02:26:21 (permalink)
    Moved my IRA into CD’s in January.
    Interest rate sucks, but my equity is as solid as the US dollar.
    Er oh!
    T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Beginning to have some doubts... 2018/04/08 20:51:30 (permalink)
    DeeringAmps
    Moved my IRA into CD’s in January.
    Interest rate sucks, but my equity is as solid as the US dollar.
    Er oh!
    T

You *really* need to read the book I recommended above.  There are a number of fundamental truths about investing, perhaps the most important of which is that, apart from extraordinarily rare exceptions, nobody can time the markets (i.e., predict when it's time to jump in or out of stocks).  Seriously, do yourself (and your "golden years") a massive favor and read:

https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365

eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Beginning to have some doubts... 2018/04/08 21:22:31 (permalink)
    Since when are musicians good with money?

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1