Behringer Artist "Relations"

Author
eikelbijter
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1002
2010/07/05 20:26:48 (permalink)

Behringer Artist "Relations"

Just want to share a little story with you guys. In Los Angeles, land of the fruit, people think you have to spend $2000 a channel to get a good good quality recording. For years I've been proudly using inexpensive gear (read: Behringer etc.) with suprisingly good results, recommending for instance the ADA8000 to many people impressed by things I've produced for folks. My latest CD was recorded for a large part through that very unit.

When the new Artist Relations guy at Behringer, a former member of the band I play with currently, found out, he was excited and told me he wanted top sign me as an endorser. I'm interested in trying the BCR/BCF controllers so I told him I was interested. Next, he sends me their contracts, not one but TWO! In it, it describes all my duties as an endorser. Now remember, I'm gonna get $300 worth of free stuff for this...

1. I must put the Behringer Logo on EVERY website I manage, on the FRONT page, bigger than any other logo.
2. I must make 2 youtube videos, one talking about Behringer, on demonstrating a product.
3. I must make a least 1 blog post per month for 1 year.
4. I cannot promote a competing product (Behringer makes just about everything under the sun; you do the math)
5. I must submit all kinds of photos etc.
6. Couldn't sell the stuff without permission from Behringer
7. They are allowed to use my name/likeness for ads for 3 years!
and the list goes on and on

I politely told him I wasn't interested anymore, that the deal wasn't worth it for $300 worth of stuff! He wrote me back saying: "I wish you would've asked me about this earlier!" Keep in mind, all he DID was put my name on a standard contract and email it to me!

In the meantime, I had sent him a physical copy of the CD anyway. In response to that last email, I wrote him asking if he was implying I had been wasting his time. I told him, listen man, it's not a deal that's worth it for me, nothing personal, just business.

Guess what? He REFUSED my CD, I got it back in the mail, with REFUSED written hugely on the front!

Am I crazy, or is this beyond ridiculous? If he weren't a friend of a friend I would write the president of Behringer about this!

Rico

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

20 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/07/05 20:51:18 (permalink)
    That doesn't sound like any kind of "relations".

I hope other companies do a better job of working with talent.

best regards,
    mike

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/07/05 21:20:07 (permalink)
    No you ain't crazy Rico it is petty minded just to send back a freebie CD and he won't last long in any 'relations' position if he's prepared to fall out like that with anyone, whether you contact the president or not they will soon wonder why he has no contacts left and he'll be out the door.

That list looks to me more like a commitment aimed at a franchisee rather than an endorsee.

Those sorts of things if I've found myself buying a particular brand over the years I've normally sought out and liaised directly with the companies Sales rep for the area that I've been working in.  They seem to be more flexible when negotiating mutual back-scratching arrangements largely because they get paid a direct commission if something you do for them shifts a bit of gear, then they become more interested in keeping you sweet.

Even though I haven't been playing out for a few years now I still get offered in on the occasional scheme that one of these guys has cooked up and still get a few freebies (cool t-shirts and stuff) thrown in just for still being on the end of a phone. 

I've never had much joy from marketing or PR depts.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/05 21:23:58

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/07/05 21:28:46 (permalink)
    That's a lot of "commitment" for 300 bones!

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/07/05 23:01:27 (permalink)
    Well, maybe this counts as your first required blog post.

See how great that marketing strategy is working out so far?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/07/05 23:05:43 (permalink)
    Especially considering it's not $300 to them; depending on what their margins are.

He must've thought you were a bird in hand and it pissed him off that you flew away.  He'd have been smarter to either try to work with you or stay cordial and keep the door open to a deal in the future.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    eikelbijter
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/07/05 23:25:35 (permalink)
    jhughs

Especially considering it's not $300 to them; depending on what their margins are.

He must've thought you were a bird in hand and it pissed him off that you flew away.  He'd have been smarter to either try to work with you or stay cordial and keep the door open to a deal in the future.

That's what I don't understand! I'm not the most famous guy in the world, but there aren't too many guys in my league using their stuff to begin with.....

Really bizarre....

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum

Storm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 808
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/07/07 11:59:47 (permalink)
    I wouldn't worry too much about it as you made the right decision. Stay confident in that. It's your way of telling them that what was asked was beyond an acceptable balance to be good 'relations.'

The guy will eventually figure that out. You taught him right from wrong there.
    LJB
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1502
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/07/29 14:40:12 (permalink)
    I could understand it for $450-00, but this is ridiculous! :O) 

Rather be nice to your local Yamaha agent like I am - it got me plenty of stuff at great prices, with no contract to sign.

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
    --------------------
    Cakewalk
    with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/07/29 16:59:02 (permalink)
    Hi,

$300?

Guess what ... I was gonna buy a Behringer amp for my bass ... guess what I am not going to do now ... that is horrible and no way to talk to anyone, and that turkey needs to get a new job a McDonalds.

I think I would flood their boards and emails in their website with screenshots of your various efforts to embarass them at least as much as they embarassed you!

For $300 dollars, Hollywood style they could at least throw a couple of girls, some make up, a limo and a couple of nice gigs! You might as well get something for nothing, hey?

My take?

You don't need those kind of people around you ever!

Good riddance! And they also lost another potential customer since I stand up for artists and do not appreciate anyone dis-respecting them this way. And old time radio payola BS is even more inapropriate ... I think I would like to show that to a lawyer ...

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

hooperdave
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/08/01 19:34:45 (permalink)
    A response from the Artist Relations Manager at Behringer.

Hello all.  I am Dave Hooper, the artist relations manager at Behringer and the subject of Rico's post.

I want to first apologize publicly to Rico for the CD incident.  I did ask our receptionist to return it to Rico and I admit I was a little bugged by his response to my offer.  I did NOT ask her to write REFUSED on the envelope and I agree that that is "beyond ridiculous".  I am truly sorry for that Rico.

As for the rest, I feel I am being somewhat misrepresented by Rico as there are 2 sides to every story.  Rather than refute the details, let me just put this out there...

I have 2 gigs this weekend with Rico. (awkward)  I hope to iron out our differences in person (rather than on a public forum) and it is my hope that we will become friends.

I knew that Behringer did not have a great reputation in the music industry when I took the job a year ago.  But after meeting the owner and finding out that I had played with most of his heroes (Lee Ritenour, Manhattan Transfer, Herbie Hancock etc...), he offered me a chance to build a great roster and a chance to really improve the public image of the company, and I accepted the challenge.

This is a tough business...  One I grew up in and now work as both a player and an AR manager.  This weekend will be an interesting test of egos and forgiveness.  However it turns out, I will post a recap... or Rico will.

Feel free to look me up and write me if you have any comments.  And wish us luck this weekend.  -Dave
    http://www.hooper.com

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/08/01 21:31:23 (permalink)

I did ask our receptionist to return it to Rico and I admit I was a little bugged by his response to my offer. I did NOT ask her to write REFUSED on the envelope and I agree that that is "beyond ridiculous".

Why would you be bugged by somebody turning down an 'offer', it was an 'offer' and not an obligation, no?  And if you look at it yourself objectively it is hardly a great offer for a fair amount of commitment expected in return.

Rico sent a CD, I gather as a good will gesture despite declining your offer, and whether the receptionist was asked to write 'Refused' on it or not the fact remained that it WAS refused by you, it would have been a mark of more maturity surely, if you didn't want it, to file it away quietly in a drawer instead.

You are right it is a tough business and the people that tend to do well in it for a sustained period tend not to fall out over petty differences such as this.

I hope you work things out.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/08/02 08:01:38 (permalink)
    Dave,
     I think many of us admire the quality of the actual Behringer product.

Personally, I can't can't past the imaginary scenario that floats around my brain every time I see a Behringer item. I have this recurring nightmare where Uri steals plans for nuclear weapons, works up a financing package, arranges to have them built in China, and then offers them for sale in economically depressed markets.

I advise everyone to buy domestic... which is to say... I advise people to support their own local economies and technical infrastructures.

best regards,
    mike

Moshkiae
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/08/03 21:54:11 (permalink)
    Hi,

I'm not cynical enough to say that no one deserves a second chance ... but the proof and the results are not in talk or words, they are in doing.

With all due respect, Dave, and I have had a few similar situations with publishers and lawyers, in the end, you reap what you sew ... and all it takes is someone that you did not communicate with, or clarify yourself plainly ... to create the problem.

I do think, that regardless, the thing coming back as "refused" is more than rude. I have 4 of those in my wall, btw, from a couple of agents, and 3 of those agents are not in the business any more. One of them runs a restaurant for his family, 2 of them are unemployed and the other is hanging on.

In the end, it is more about how many no's you say ... and if all you can say is "NO", or "REFUSED" ... eventually you will be the loser. I don't have to tell you that, and I'm sure that you know about that. But you sure got me ticklish about even looking at a single product from your company ... I'm gonna buy an amp from Bapu instead when he's ready to upgrade!
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2010/08/06 15:48:00

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

eikelbijter
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/08/11 19:40:48 (permalink)
    Since Dave promised that one of us would post an update, here it goes:

First of all, let me say that Dave is one hell of a drummer! His resume is undeniable of course, but he really is an awesome musician and we had a blast playing. He's way too good to have any time working for Behringer, but he has a great interest in technology so it makes sense in that way. Secondly, as I already knew, he is a nice cat too; it was a manly thing to sign up for the cakewalk forum and put his name on the whole affair and I appreciate a stand-up kind of guy. the whole weekend was just a great experience, and a good time was had by all.

Sunday night I told him, I know he really doesn't want my CD but I'll give him one anyway, we laughed and he gave me one of his. Gotta say, it's really cool!

As far as the endorsement thing goes: bizarre thing is I talked with a few more peeps about it, and they said they had just signed the contract, with NO expectations of ever doing any of the things list on it! This I really don't get. I'd like to think that contracts mean something, but I guess we have come to a time where that stuff is meaningless. All I know is, I'm NOT going to sign that, and I still find it bizarre.

Now, on to making more music!
    Rico

Stuart Germain
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/08/11 19:59:15 (permalink)
    +1
    Moshkiae
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/08/12 22:32:02 (permalink)
    Hi,

+2

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/08/13 08:03:51 (permalink)
    Hi Rico and Dave,

It seems like you guys made a good choice.... enjoy the music and each others friendship!!!

best regards,
    mike

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/08/13 20:03:32 (permalink)
    Men who value honor and honesty - it's great to know that these things haven't died out.

Glad to hear things are working out.

julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/08/13 21:20:17 (permalink)
    Russell.Whaley

Men who value honor and honesty - it's great to know that these things haven't died out.

Glad to hear things are working out.

Men who value honor and honesty - it's great to know that these things haven't died out.

Hear, Hear, Russell!

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    hooperdave
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Behringer Artist "Relations" 2010/08/14 01:48:06 (permalink)
    Happy to say that Rico and I worked it all out.   He is a tremendous player and we had a great weekend.  He even gave me his CD which is excellent.

I thought I'd say just one thing about the contract... and I agree with Rico on this point.   Some will sign and disregard the contract.   I have found that musicians aren't the best a promoting themselves.   The requirements for a Behringer contract are there to promote the gear AND the artists.   

I'll explain.   

The Behringer site gets 60,000 hits a day.  That's almost 22 million per year.  Each time our artists submit a photo, blog post, youtube video, audio file etc... we can put it on the home page of the site and make news of it.  We encourage them to submit as much content as possible - giving them a chance to really take advantage of the giant Behringer corporate machine.   We also have a ginormous promotional budget for ads, tradeshows, concerts, clinics etc.... and are VERY liberal with free gear.  Especially if they are on tour or tv.   Any artist who signs with us can take advantage of this and I know for a fact that it sends a lot of new visitors to the artists webpages and showcases their musical abilities.

I suppose it is the endorsers prerogative to disregard this stuff and pass up an opportunity to promote their talent.  When this offer goes out and gets turned down, I'm always left scratching my head.   As a musician, I know we don't always get to choose our gigs... the phone rings and we take work to pay our rent.  The famous musicians get called to do the big gigs.

It is a new era of Social Media and web promotions and everything is trackable now.  The endorsers on our roster who show enthusiasm will undoubtedly see success in growing their brand (we all want to be well known in the business) and those who don't will get dropped.  The numbers will not lie.  Balance will be restored.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join the discussion and contribute a little drama.  I have definitely grown through this experience.

-Dave Hooper
    Drummer/Artist Relations Manager
    http://www.hooper.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1