Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sonic the Hedgehog
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 733
2006/10/26 16:00:49 (permalink)

Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion!

Hello everyone(Beagle and Zungle)!

Since there have been a few questions regarding these monitors, I've decided to post my personal review after having auditioned them for a week last year in my Home Studio(good stores will allow you to audition them in your own environment. I went through six pairs before deciding on one). So, here is where I get bashed...

First off, auditioning speakers is an extremely subjective excercise(I also happen to be an audiophile), and what one doesn't like in a certain speaker might be a blessing for someone else. That said, here are the good points about the Behringers: as stated on their website, they do have very good resolution for their asking price. They also play louder than most studio monitors and do throw a HUGE sound. They were not designed for small rooms. These speaker will impress you upon the first listen, compared to all the other ''bland-sounding'' ones in the store. You'll definately need extremely rugged stands for them as they are VERY heavy.
Now, for the ''not-so-good'' part: contrary to what they claim on their website, the TRUTH B2031A's are not flat - far from it. They have a huge boost around 400-600Hz which is why they impress on the first listen in a store and why one seems to ''hear'' things one has never heard before. This is particularly bad for mixing as you'll have the eventual tendency to lower everything around those frequencies! They are, however, fun to listen to. But for most of us, monitors should be regarded as a working tool. For the same price(more or less), I've found that the KRK RP5 to be better in that respect. They don't have the best resolution, but your mixes will be better balanced as they have a flatter frequency response. For a little more, I've found the Tannoy Reveals to be much flatter and precise while offering a good deal of resolution. These are the ones that stayed with me since.
All this said, I still think that the Behringers are fun speakers and wouldn't mind recommending them to friends who simply ''enjoy'' listening to all types of music.

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler

37 Replies Related Threads

themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/26 16:43:03 (permalink)
    I have a pair of those Behringers purchased in 2001. When you refer to the huge boost from 400-600Hz, what was your source? Just curious. I'm sure it didn't come from Behringer. I mixed a lot on those and you are right about them not working well in a small room. My main complaint about them is this feeling that the mids have been sucked out of them. Since I bought a pair of Tannoy midfields, my Behringers have been in a small edit room. I periodically will check a mix on them.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/26 16:50:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report, sonic. I have also looked at the KRK's and have heard good things about them. but I, too, am curious like Marc is about your source of the 400-600Hz boost. Did you measure that yourself, or did you find that info somewhere else, and if so, where? Also - if you measured it yourself, can you explain the details of the test?

thanks!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/26 16:52:21 (permalink)
    Sonic ........

Good observation.........

I immediately noticed the low mid bump with the 2031A's. Gotta admit its pretty musical.

When listening to the 2030A(smaller pair) to my ears they seemed a bit flatter, and the enviromental voice switching seemed fairly effective. They were however not nearly as you would say...........fun.....but seemed fairly suitable for small room nearfield monitoring.

At $259.00 US.... I haven't located anything I could audition that sounded better.

I may hear them differently than some as I've worked with primarily the EVENT 20/20 BA's for the past 6 plus years and they are known to be a bit on the mid rangy side.

I personally have never gotten up with the KRK's, but my buddy loves 'em.
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/26 17:50:09 (permalink)
    i have a set of those truths and while i am generally happy with them i would have to agree. i think they are overpresent in low mids ( 400hz ) and lacking below 100hz. certainly for the money they are very useable but i have to consciously remember to compensate in those areas when mixing.

the fact of the matter remains that any mid/low price nearfield setup is going to be a compromise in one way or another. the best you can do is set them up correctly, treat the mix area as best you can, and LEARN HOW THEY SOUND ( most important! )

i find the truths in combination with some AT athm40fs headphones to be a workable combination for frequency checking.

The Poodle Chews It.

Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/26 19:07:11 (permalink)
    Hi Themidiroom and Beagle,

The ''tests'' were done with my own ears. The sources are unimportant as these speakers were tested with music that I am very familiar with. If your familiar with a certain cd, for example, regardless of the music, and have heard it on different systems, you shouldn't all of a sudden hear a ''boom'' or other increases/decreases unless one of the components in your chain was doing that. In this case, it was the Behringers.
    However, I do owe it to you guys to let you know what my sources were. The Behringers were tested on two of my systems with a Jazz cd by Myriam Alter called ''If''.
    System one:
    Atoll CD100MK3 cd player
    Yamaha AW16G console/mixer

System Two:
    Sony CD-RW33 cd player
    Behringer UB502 mixer

My regular ''home system'' consists of the Atoll CD100MK3 cd player, a Bryston preamp BP5, a Bryston Power amp 3B, and Totem 1 speakers.

The speakers were mounted on Samson stands with the tweeters at ear level and at least three feet from all walls. They were angled towards my ears, forming a perfect equilateral triangle.

As mentioned erlier, one of the reasons why speaker tests are so subjective is because we all hear things differently. Maybe my ears are more sensitive to sounds in those frequencies?

Hope this helps guys. Regardless, your feedback is always appreciated!

Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/26 19:11:15 (permalink)
    Zungle,

I've never heard the smaller sibbling, but you may be correct in saying that they could be more accurate. Smaller speakers tend to be so except for the bass region obviously. Personally, I would prefer to have a more accurate midrange and less bass than the other way around.

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/26 19:18:07 (permalink)
    i've got a pair of these and i've not noticed the boost in the 400-600hz range. what i have noticed is that they tend to hide frequencies that consumer stereos enhance so cross-checking is very critical. they hide low-end mud (300-500hz), clang (around 800hz or so) and harshness in the 1-3k range. the detail gets better as the frequencies get higher. low-end detail is just not there. to be fair though, i don't have them set up very well - no foam stands and they are about two inches from a wall.

for a first pair of monitors they are alright - they definitely brought my mixing up a notch - but now i know i could benefit from some non-budget ones. i think they could be a decent cross-reference pair for a good set of monitors in a properly set up room but the more i mix with them and check on my stereo or in my headphones the more i realize why they are so cheap.

for the money i can't argue with them though.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/26 19:48:52 (permalink)
    Hey jacktheexcynic,

you crack me up(in a friendly way)! Get them off the walls!

Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/26 19:55:29 (permalink)
    the fact of the matter remains that any mid/low price nearfield setup is going to be a compromise in one way or another. the best you can do is set them up correctly, treat the mix area as best you can, and LEARN HOW THEY SOUND ( most important! )

The magic word here is ''compromise''. Thanks for your words of wisdom Clydewinder!

jacktheexcynic
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/26 22:19:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Sonic the Hedgehog

Hey jacktheexcynic,

you crack me up(in a friendly way)! Get them off the walls!

yeah i know. =) there's no other place to put them though... the only other available room has much worse acoustics and my wife will divorce me if i put my "studio" in the middle of the living room. i will try and back them off the wall a bit though... see how much i can get away with. =)

- jack the ex-cynic
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 00:23:54 (permalink)
    ...I know what you mean...luckily my girlfriend is an audio nut as well...

Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 01:57:14 (permalink)
    Hmm, this may be a stupid question, but if monitors have a distinct frequency boost, such as what you claim here...could you somehow correct it by adding an EQ before the output to the speakers? In this case, a slight cut in the 400-600hz range...?

Or are you stuck dealing with the color with no other options?

themidiroom
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 08:45:34 (permalink)
    Sonic, thanks for revealing your sources. I guess Behringer needs to stop sending out those frequency response graphs (Do they still do that?) I guess we can debate the impact of having a boost in that frequency range. I guess I had grown used to their sound and thought they were great monitors until I got something better.
    post edited by themidiroom - 2006/10/27 09:04:06

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 12:02:33 (permalink)
    Hi JamzOr,

Hmm, this may be a stupid question, but if monitors have a distinct frequency boost, such as what you claim here...could you somehow correct it by adding an EQ before the output to the speakers? In this case, a slight cut in the 400-600hz range...?

Or are you stuck dealing with the color with no other options?

Yes you can! Obviously, it would degrade the quality of the signal a little since you're adding yet another path, but as a necessary evil, it's a good idea. A lot of people do this also because of room-induced artifacts such a walls, bare windows, etc...
    By the way, your question is not stupid. I have my fair share!

Beagle
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 12:06:53 (permalink)
    Yes, thank you very much for the explanation, sonic. I have no problem with "doing it by ear" as long as nothing else is claimed or implied by the test! And I agree with this statement completely:
    As mentioned erlier, one of the reasons why speaker tests are so subjective is because we all hear things differently.

So let's talk about your KRK's or Tannoys, what makes them the best for the money in your opinion?

Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 12:19:43 (permalink)
    Hi Themidiroom!

Maybe the Berries do sound good in your space? Maybe you have a dip caused by your room that negates the boost(according to me) in the speakers? This scenario is possible you know.
    As far as the response graphs are concerned, I remember seeing those. In fact, I also remember saying to myself that they weren't detailed enough even before I had listen to the speakers. Response curves are usually measured in an anechoic chamber, there was no mention of which one was used(there are only a few of them in the world).
    Regardless of what I or anybody says, I still think they're fun speakers with a good deal of resolution!

Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 13:29:26 (permalink)
    Hi Beagle,

I'll be more than happy to share with you my humble experiences and opinions regarding the KRK's and the Tannoys especially when you've spilled so much CPU on the Gigastudio for me!

If I had $400.00 to spend on ''powered'' monitors I would get the KRK RP5. It's an ''honest'' speaker with a very classy built. The finish is exceptional and it even comes with rubber absorbtion pads to put between each speaker and its respective stand base. Some people may find their sound a little bland or boring, but it is precisely for these reasons that I liked them(for mixing, of course). There's not much bass output due to their 5-inch cones, but at least there are no boosts to impress you with. What you do get, however, is a tuneful bass where you can clearly hear the notes as opposed to a cardboard-ish constant ''boom''. What I didn't like was their resolution. As Clydewinder said earlier, the compromise here seems to be just that. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as ''open'' as with some other speakers - including the Behringers. Again, at least they didn't boost the highs as some other manufacturers would. The RP8's have more bass and have a generally brighter character, but they are in the same price range as the Tannoy Reveal 5a's, I think.
    These Tannoys are also built with a lot of class. There's a lot of precision and resolution here. The imaging is almost as good as with my Totem 1's(my livingroom system). Listening to these is like removing a curtain on a bright summer day. They do sound ''lightweight'' like the KRK RP5's due to the 5-inch midrange cone, but what is there is flat and beautiful(I'm takling about frequency response here)! The highs have a shimmering and extended quality about them. The only drawback I have is that it only accepts an XLR input which means that you'll probably have to get yet another pair of cables. These speakers, as I said before, image very well, so it's important to do them justice by placing them properly.
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the KRK RP5's are around $400/pair and the Tannoy Reveal 5a's around $700/pair. Like I said earlier, if I didn't have a $700 budget, I would have been happy with the KRK's. I've also auditioned a pair of Samsons, but they sounded nearly identical to the KRK's at $100.00 more.

Hope this helps! I think you're going to have lots of fun shopping around for speakers - it's such a personal thing!

Beagle
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 13:47:38 (permalink)
    yes, it is a personal thing and room environment also plays a lot into the equation. thanks for the detailed response, sonic!

one thing I might disagree with you on, tho, but maybe if you'll clarify it might just be a misunderstanding:

Response curves are usually measured in an anechoic chamber, there was no mention of which one was used(there are only a few of them in the world).

I'm an electrical engineer and I work for a large government contractor. we have at least 6 anechoic chambers at the facility I work at (and one of them is large enough to put an F-16 inside!). I've also visited several other facilities in my work related business travel and have seen many anechoic chambers including some commercial ones like the ones at UL labs in San Jose and others of businesses like Adtran and Motorola where I had no business vested intrest, but toured the facility as a visitor.

Now, I don't know how many of these chambers WOULD be used for testing the response of speakers, but I would think that as many as I've seen that your statement is at best a little misleading. I do believe there are many, many anechoic chambers in the world, but I don't know how many there are available which would be used for measuring the response of studio speakers.

themidiroom
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 14:22:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sonic the Hedgehog

Hi Themidiroom!

Maybe the Berries do sound good in your space? Maybe you have a dip caused by your room that negates the boost(according to me) in the speakers? This scenario is possible you know.

I see your point. Other than a peak at 140Hz, my room is relatively flat. I know the Behringers aren't flat. I managed to mentally compensate and do some decent mixes on them. I would alternate between the Behringers and my trusty NS10s. Generally, mixes that sounded good on both monitors were guaranteed to translate. I think they lack in the upper midrange. They are fairly precise, but I found them to be more balanced when turning the HF level to -2.
    I have a pair of the small Samson monitors. They were a cool, cheap monitor. A producer friend of mine has the KRK RP5s. I don't know if I trust them to mix on. Granted, I haven't heard them in my room, but it seems as if they tried to compensate for 5" woofer's inability to produce the lower frequencies.
    Beagle, are you in the market for monitors? If so, what kind of price range do you have? My only experiece with the smaller Tannoys were a pair of System800s and the old PBM6.5s. The System 800s blew me away. I have since been sold on Tannoy dual concentric monitors.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 14:42:57 (permalink)
    Hi Beagle,

Anachoic chambers are not used only for speaker manufacturing or measurements. On top of what you mentioned, they are also used for medical and scientific research. Anyone can build an ''anachoic'' chamber, but there aren't that many that have industry standard measurements - which may not be a bad thing. However, I'd be skeptical if a speaker manufacturer claims that his speakers are completely flat based on measurements taken in a glass-made room! Here's something I found on the internet:

You don’t really need an anechoic chamber in a research facility to produce loudspeaker measurements -- just like you don’t really need an operating room in a hospital to do some kind of surgery. But the fact is: If I’m going to lay my body on a table and let someone have it at, I’d rather it be in pristine hospital operating room with sterilized equipment and a team of trained experts and not have it be on somebody’s kitchen table in a house that looks something in the movie Deliverance with a group of good ol' boys who think they know how to get the job done. And while measuring a loudspeaker may not be as life-threatening as surgery, consider this: If your magazine is responsible for producing a set of measurements that purport to be accurate and are done in a rigorous enough fashion that they can be held up to scrutiny, why not do them right? It seems simple enough to us.

So we went first-class, and that’s precisely why we chose to do it at NRC -- a loudspeaker testing facility with a real anechoic chamber, properly calibrated equipment, and decades of experience measuring loudspeakers.

The process

Every speaker -- from those lowest in price to highest -- gets measured in the exact same way with the exact same care, and in the anechoic chamber of course. But before we go any further, it’s best to understand what an anechoic chamber is and why it's so important.

Webster’s definition of anechoic is: "Free from echoes and reverberations." A chamber is obviously a room of some sort. So an anechoic chamber is a room completely free of echoes and reverberations -- the sound takes a one-way trip out of the loudspeaker and never comes back. Why is this important? Because to understand how a speaker is launching its soundwaves, you want to measure just the initial launch of those waves and not all reflections that will occur in a real-world room. The concept is simple enough, but a chamber is expensive to create -- in fact, very few loudspeaker companies even have one of their own.

jacktheexcynic
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 20:37:50 (permalink)
    i guess i see how raw output measurement is important but no one mixes or listens to music in an anechoic chamber.

i care more about detail and resolution than a perfectly flat response. the ns10's everybody uses (well i don't have any...) certainly don't have a flat response but they bring out the detail in the most critical range for pop music. i think detail is more important and the only way to measure that is with your ears.

i suppose though that if there's a way to measure detail an anechoic chamber would be the best place. =)

- jack the ex-cynic
    Beagle
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 21:23:30 (permalink)
    Marc - yes, I am in need of some decent monitors, but I do not have enough budget saved up yet to get any. When I do get enough for some speakers, I will probably get some fairly low end ones as entry level (you don't want to know what I'm mixing with right now!!!). So I would probably start out with some around $200-$250 maybe in a couple of months.

Sonic- thanks for the info, that's exactly what I suspected, I was simply "being the engineer that I am" and trying to determine what you meant by "there are only a few in the world". there are many, many chambers in the world, but as you stated in your last post, there may be only a few with the correct equipment AND the experience which can be used for this purpose within companies who might own their own. But there should also be plenty of chambers available with equipment and experience which can be subcontracted to perform the necessary tests. I know of one chamber facility in Atlanta GA which we used for Acoustic Qualification Testing which is supposed to be one of the best in the country...and we kept blowing their equipment because of the levels we required for testing our equipment. They themselves might not test speakers, but I'm sure the market would support such chambers with the correct equipment and experience as subcontractors for speaker manufacturers to test their equipment, thus saving the company money so that they don't have to build their own chamber.

jack - that's a good point, too. but that would be too subjective to really test, so the only real hard engineering tests you can be measured on would be the flat response graphed in an anechoic chamber.
    post edited by Beagle - 2006/10/27 21:40:53

Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/27 23:23:58 (permalink)
    I agree with your point Jack. Specs are good to give us a general idea, but we shoudn't foresake a gift that we all have in common: intuition.

xackley
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/28 10:39:00 (permalink)
    with the Truths, just how many db at 400 to 600 are we talking.

Also if it is easy for you.
    I have an Emu, which can run EQ in the DSP.
    The parameters are

DB
    Freq
    Octaves if I use 3-Band EQ
    Semitone if I use 1-Band Para EQ

What would be your guess as to what these could be set to experiment with correcting the bump?

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/28 13:48:04 (permalink)
    Hi Xackley,

nice hearing from you. As for your request, as you know, I don't have these speakers anymore. This post was originally done for Beagle and Zungle who were considering these speakers. It would be very irresponsible on my part to pretend that I know exactly where this hump(s) was. I do know that it was around 400-600. You would be in a better position to know than me! What you can do though, is to play a piece or two on different systems and see if you can pinpoint the exact frequency(ies). That was how I found out as I noticed, on one of my favourite pieces, that certain notes of the piano and the clarinet were suddenly jumping out at me and hiding other parts of the music. It was interesting at first, but quickly became annoying and bothersome. Again, the stated frequencies may change due to your room being different from mine. Maybe you'll find something - if at all - at 800Hz. But concentrate on the 400-600 and go from there. A safe bet in this circumstance would be to use a graphic eq at start at -3db and go from there.
    Let me know what you came up with!

Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/28 14:15:23 (permalink)
    I have a pair of the Truths on their way. I had to try them for myself, with the budget price, I couldn't resist.

My room is pretty large...like 16' x 22' with variable wall lengths and cathedral ceilings...plus it goes open concept into the kitchen/dining room. I'm hoping this helps to keep them a bit flatter than using them in a small rectangular room.

Also, I have a spare dual 30 band EQ that I may be able to use to compensate for the "bumps" if I feel it's needed...I could give each speaker it's own treatment.

Once I get set up and comfortable, I'll give my opinion in this thread.
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/28 16:25:47 (permalink)
    Hi JamzOr,

Yes! Let us know what you think in the context of your own space and what new findings you may come up with!

zungle
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/29 02:46:15 (permalink)
    James which model did you order?
    zungle
    RE: Behringer TRUTH B2031A monitors. My personal opinion! 2006/10/29 02:48:32 (permalink)
    I would rent a real time analyzer/white noise generator and get a real peak at whats going on.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1