Behringer X-Touch questions with SONAR

Author
dxp
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 252
2017/03/08 15:28:20 (permalink)

Behringer X-Touch questions with SONAR

I've read thru several posts on the X Touch and have a few question I'm hoping someone can clear up for me.
I see discussions about a template to use for sonar. I'm assuming that some of the buttons on the X Touch have CC codes that don't map correctly to that button's function in sonar?
So is there an interface for the X Touch to modify the midi control codes?

As for several of the functions of the X Touch, can you actually control sonar BUS items from the X Touch?
Also can you control plugins from the X Touch, whether they are in FX bin, in a clip or in the ProChannel?

Thanks for any input any of you might have on these questions.

Dave

9 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Behringer X-Touch questions with SONAR 2017/03/08 16:47:01 (permalink)
    dxp
    I've read thru several posts on the X Touch and have a few question I'm hoping someone can clear up for me.
    I see discussions about a template to use for sonar.

Most discussions are about an overlay (a peace of plastic with labels), the plug-in MackieControl (a program). So not about "template" ( software preset).

I'm assuming that some of the buttons on the X Touch have CC codes that don't map correctly to that button's function in sonar?

Depends from the "version". If you ask about "big" X Touch (so not compact and not mini), in the mode which Sonar understand buttons are not sending CCs (they are sending Notes) and they do that correctly for all of them. Labels printed on the device do not match with Sonar functions, the same is for original Mackie unit. That is why people discuss the overlay.

So is there an interface for the X Touch to modify the midi control codes?

X-Touch editor works with Compact and Mini versions only.

As for several of the functions of the X Touch, can you actually control sonar BUS items from the X Touch?

Yes.

Also can you control plugins from the X Touch, whether they are in FX bin, in a clip or in the ProChannel?

FX bin - yes, Clip - no, (Synth - no), ProChannel - EQ/Compressor and only with moded (by me) plug-in (but no other modules).
    Controlling everything is theoretically possible with third party plug-in (precisely my own plug-in, not the same as my mod), but no-one invested time to make that solution stable.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    dxp
    Re: Behringer X-Touch questions with SONAR 2017/03/09 17:12:51 (permalink)
    Thanks azslow3.
    Yes I was referring to the big X-Touch and not the mini.
    So I understand this correctly, the XT function buttons do not necessarily map to those functions in SONAR.
    Even with this jumbled layout, do the majority of the XT functions still work in SONAR, just now being located at different buttons,  or are there many XT function buttons that just don't do anything at all?
    SO if you can modify the XT notes that it sends for each button, wouldn't it be possible to then map it exactly to what SONAR  is expecting for that function button?
    Is this what you have done in the 3rd party reference you mentioned?
    Is that note info easily available for SONAR?

Sorry for all the questions but I purchased a FaderPort 8 and found that about half of the functions didn't work in SONAR. Returned it. Just do not want to be in that same situation again if I decide to try the X-Touch.

Dave
    azslow3
    Re: Behringer X-Touch questions with SONAR 2017/03/09 18:50:36 (permalink)
    I will try to explain it different way:
    1) Sonar has mapped (all) controls of Mackie Control Universal device to perform something useful in Sonar. Many labels for buttons on that device have no sense in Sonar, so labels had to be changed by an overlay. The same was in other DAWs since original device was labeled for one particular DAW, and that DAW was not Sonar
    2) X-Touch is a clone of Mackie Control, the same controls which send the same signals and have the same labels. So it works exactly the same as it was thought originally (ALL controls), but an overlay is also required (to label buttons correctly for Sonar).
    3) the plug-in for Sonar was not significantly changed since it was written for very old Sonar version. So in new Sonar one specific set of functions, working with ProChannel, is no longer working with Mackie devices (and so with any clone) correctly. That can be solved by mod (free to use, public and open source). But mod is not covering the functionality not foreseen in the original plug-ins, controlling extra ProChannel modules and SoftSynth. That functionality is theoretically possible using completely different plug-in (free to use, public but not open source).
    4) FaderPort8 has insufficient number of (hardware) controls to completely emulate Mackie Control. X-Touch has all possible controls.

Note that X-Touch is a clone in functionality only. It is build from different (obviously cheap) components compare to the original Mackie Control (Universal/Pro).

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    dxp
    Re: Behringer X-Touch questions with SONAR 2017/03/13 14:22:42 (permalink)
    Thank you azslow3. This information helps a lot in my control surface decision.
    dmacfadgen@quarterback.ca
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Behringer X-Touch questions with SONAR 2018/02/10 10:02:55 (permalink)
    This is very useful and the exact path that I took... Faderport 8 returned, was tempted by Faderport 16 but bought the Xtouch.
    Thank-you!
    Will work on my template this weekend...
    stxx
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: Behringer X-Touch questions with SONAR 2018/02/17 22:16:09 (permalink)
    I have x touch and the sonar template taped on.  Frankly, none of the Mackie emulations work well with Sonar other than fader control (for tracks and busses , and MSP functions). Overall, I think it's all easier in mouse.   Moving through tracks with jog wheel is OK as is expanding and squeezing waveforms but anything else is just a waste of effort.   If you want REAL control over parameters, get a console 1

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
    https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
    dmacfadgen@quarterback.ca
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Behringer X-Touch questions with SONAR 2018/02/17 22:24:40 (permalink)
    I took mine back, including the Apollo 8, the Focusrite Octopre and Oxygen... took my new zbook back to Win 7 and will continue to work with the V700 and Sonar until a manufacturer produces an i/o and daw. Wish UAD would buy Cakewalk.
    azslow3
    Re: Behringer X-Touch questions with SONAR 2018/02/18 07:41:46 (permalink)
    stxx
    I have x touch and the sonar template taped on.  Frankly, none of the Mackie emulations work well with Sonar other than fader control (for tracks and busses , and MSP functions). Overall, I think it's all easier in mouse.   Moving through tracks with jog wheel is OK as is expanding and squeezing waveforms but anything else is just a waste of effort.   If you want REAL control over parameters, get a console 1

Sonar had and has reasonable Mackie integration. It can not control SoftSynth parameters, but it can control (any) FXes. In comparison, Console 1 can control limited number of FXes (targeted own FXes) and limited set of Sonar parameters only.

stxx
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: Behringer X-Touch questions with SONAR 2018/02/19 17:03:23 (permalink)
    My point is the trouble to use any of these control surfaces over the mouse for FX parms and edit functions is barely worth it in my opinion and expectations should be low.  I have a console 1 AND X touch as well as a serious collection of UAD and Softube plugs and I use this on most every channel that I want REAL hands on knob turning.  Otherwise X touch works great for the functions I mentioned above for transport, fader mixing, MSR and Pan as well as job wheel and clip navigation but to do actual editting or FX control, its way too clumbsy.   It works but its clumbsy.  My opinion

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
    https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1