Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
2007/05/13 10:26:04 (permalink)

Being a muti-instrumentalist.

Well,
I was just thinking the other day (talking to my wife about it), about focusing on guitar-playing only. It's what I do best. When I attempt to play other instruments, I just about get by with it. It seems to take away from the time & focus I should be putting in on the guitar. I know that having a home studio allows for all sorts of stuff to be possible, and a lot of people are very good at being multi-talented. I'm not talking about recording, just attempting to play keyboards, etc. I'm almost convinced in doing more collabs and having others lay down tracks doing what they're good at, rather than me doing a poor rendition. I don't want to use pre-programmed backing tracks as I'm a big fan of that "live" feel, mistakes and all. Besides, I ain't good at it.

I'd like to know how others approach their music, what they feel about collabs versus doing it all themselves, how it affects music, and so on. I've heard some very talented multi-instrumentalist on this forum and I'm envious. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. My keyboard is going into the closet.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".

50 Replies Related Threads

kwhetzel
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 10:45:05 (permalink)
    IMHO, focus on what you want to do best; we all have our areas of strength and weakness. I feel the same way you do about spending time on, not just other instruments, but other responsibilities (i.e. fixing up the house, paying bills, working the day job, etc.). I feel at times that I am being pulled away from practicing and improving musically. Trying to achieve balance between the musical side of life and practical side of life is tough.

I do think it best to have others contribute to one's work. At the very least, their contribution can be an extra set of ears to help critique your work and suggest areas for improvement. If you don't have access to other musicians collaborating with you, then for whatever instrument you need for a particular piece, learn how to play that instrument via whatever controller you use. I've found that the best way to do this is to listen to lots of music and focus on whatever instrument you're looking to play.

I think keyboardists sometimes have it easier than guitarists when it comes to mimicing (sp?) other instruments in that so much of the current focus on midi controllers are keyboard based. I really don't know what controllers are available for guitarists, but don't throw the keyboard away! Use it when necessary, but definitely have others contribute what they do best when you can.

Don't know if this is helpful, but it's how I try to approach things.
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 11:06:42 (permalink)
    I wont pretend that I'm good enough to answer your question, however I'm bored, and waiting on the Hong Kong Restaurant to open, so I will just go ahead and tell you what I do.

I guess I sould say first off, that I'm just a drummer. I started playing when I was 8, and I'm now 25 (so old, I know). I started computer based music with FL Studio, back when it was still called Fruity Loops, maybe 4 or 5 years ago ? I think it was version 2. I enjoyed it as a toy to play around with, and played it with it quite a bit - mainly because unlike guitar, you can almost never practice drums without offending someone (in my small subdivision anyway). So using it, allowed me to play music without the neighbors tearing my door down to be quiet. After about a year or two, I started to buy a few soft synths, and got used to playing keys (something I'd never even touched other than a 20 dollar Casio before this). I started to get used to playing drums on it mostly, and would use the midi data from the drum tracks, copy that to the synth tracks, and alter the data manually in the PR (FL's PR is so easy, it was / is no big deal to do it like this, unlike Sonar, who's PR is a nightmare in comparison). Then, I'd say, by now 2 years ago, some crackhead stole my 9 peice drum kit, rack cyms and all. It was a nice kit, even in it's used condition, I could of easily pulled 3 grand or more for it, and the crackhead (someone I and all my friends grew up with) sold the entire kit for 25 dollars - yeah, 25 dollars. So, he ending up going to prision (for stealing someone elses stuff, my kit is gone forever - long story about insurance)... Once that happened, I dove full force into computer based music, and went with Cubase, and later Sonar. Well, once I got into the more pro level aps, I started to set aside cash from every paycheck for soft synths, mainly NI stuff. I figured it was time to actually start playing the synth parts, rather than editing data that came from the drum parts I had made... Now, fast foward to present day. The way I approch it (I belive because of the background I just wrote - and why I wrote all that btw) is by pressing record in Sonar with NI Battery set up with whatever kit is the flavor of the day, and just playing. I may play for 15 mins or more. Then I go back, and find somewhere between a 4 to 16 bar part that I can loop (I usally have to go in and edit it a tad, just to get the looping right). Once I have that, then I can think of a bassline in my head, lie that down, and go to the next. Once I have all the tracks (imstruments) I feel is needed to complete that part of the song, I have a base to work with. From there, I go back to Battery, to make a bridge for the drums, and then go every track down from that. Same for breaks, change ups, etc. After all that is done, it's a basic "what I want", but it's extremly raw, and everything is out of place. So, I freeze every track, save that, export each track (seprate) just to desktop or something. At this point, I take all the wav's to FL Studio, because the destructive editing in FL is a breeze (or at least to me, since I'm so used to it). In FLS, I cut and chop away, moving cut part to where I want them to be. In other words, when I made the song in Sonar, I did it just one part at a time, not really as a complete song, so in FL, I'm cutting up and aranging all my parts to the song I was hearing in my mind in the first place - may seem like too much, but remember, this all started from me just goofing around with Battery while record was on. So, now, my song is put together in FL, so I just tic the "split mixer tracks" button in FL, to export the song back out as seprate wavs. I bring those wavs back into Sonar, and now it's time to get all the effects, automation, panning, seperation, etc done. All of which you already know how to do. So, after that is done, I export the single mixed down wav to SoundForge for final mastering / polishing. Then, I'm done, I have the song. I'm almost sure I'm the only one that does all this, or that does it this way anway, but, hey for me, it works...

-as a side note, I know I'll have a ton of spelling errors in there, please excuse them if you can
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 11:39:34 (permalink)
    Only listened to one song earlier (top one), so could be a bit biased:

Maybe stick to one instrument indeed, and fake the rest in midi maybe - that's how I hide my utter lack of multi-instrumentality as well. Could hear it in the piano bits, and if I can hear it, it's probably not easy on a real pianist's ear.

You do have a keen ear for sonic space, I'd say. I'd put that to use, but maybe start with the core tune, and work outward, not inward - the tune itself seems a bit of an interloper here.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 12:51:44 (permalink)
    Larry, like you I'm, really just a guitarist who sings and can carry a fundamental bass line on a good day. But the allure of learning other instruments is simply to strong, even if it's just MIDI. And I frankly love the process of mixing as well. Sure, it detracts from my guitar skills, I'm getting downright rusty in that regard. So, yes, it creates a dilemma for those of us who only do this part time. But can you imagine if michelangelo had ONLY painted? (Not that I liken our skills to a Michelangelo. That would be hubris and we know what happens to those who do that!)
    On the other hand, like you said, I recognize my limitations and I'm a big fan of collaborations.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 13:07:58 (permalink)
    Hey Larry,

Yes, the ongoing dilemma ... go for depth of skill, focusing on a few core areas, or go for breadth of skill, spreading out to cover more area. For me, it's been a matter of taking the seasons as they come and following my interests at the time. I am primarily a keyboard player but have always had a few guitars around too for when the keys get boring or I am looking for something different (or portable!) There were seasons where I focused almost exclusively on one or the other, but I would eventually lose interest or inspiration and move back to the other instrument to find something fresh.

Well, out of time right now .. be back in a bit.

Bill
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 13:27:01 (permalink)
    I can sympathize with your dillema, but I wouldn't throw your keyboard out. A trick I use on the keys that works pretty well to give you a live feel is actually try playing it and getting it reasonably tight (doesn't have to be perfect) then go back in and edit slightly anything that sound out of wack. It's very important to use your ears and not your eyes while doing this. If it looks way off in the prv but sounds like it fits good then leave it. This way you get all the natural velocities and the human emotion peeking through.When I first started recording I would play it then line it all up perfectly and the result would be a sterile robotic sounding piano line.

I get bored with the same instrument quickly so I mess around with alot of different ones. The result being that I am no virtuoso on any of them but for the kind of stuff I do it works ok. For me it's all about the song and what is complimenting it. I know some guitarists that practice 4+ hours a day and they sound stiff as a board so I dont think it is always how much you practice. It's kind of funny, the instrument I am probably best on is acoustic guitar but i dont have a decent acoustic or a room, or a good acoustic mic etc etc, so it never gets put in my songs unless it's in a studio. I have always been more equipment challenged than musical I guess.

Drums are my biggest weakness. Programming them for a song is total hell for me. I can think like a drummer but getting that good feel out of the prv mode is really time consuming and very annoying. I would use loops but they never fit my songs. I'll spend 2 weeks getting a drum line right then 1-2 days recording bass, guitars, vocals etc.

Ed Edge

kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 13:36:44 (permalink)
    band composing: popular music. parts tend to be more idiomatic and musical per each instrument. takes less time to complete a song in general. group brainstorming opens new possibilities for phrasings tonalities and ideas.

individual composing: classical music. the composer has complete control, both over the composition and explotation of the finished product. Must learn enough about each instrument to write properly for it.

i say dont give up your keyboard, stick at it and you will get to the point where you are pleased with the result fasters than you think

I am not an expert
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 14:04:44 (permalink)
    How much time to spend on each instrument? That's something I've struggled with myself. Being a hobbiest with a job and a wife I don't find the kind of time for music that I wish I had. My primary goal is to write and record tunes. So my main focus therefore isn't guitar (guitar is my main instrument).

I focus on my weakest links in my ability to write and record tunes. So even though I doubt I'll ever be a really strong singer, I'm spending time trying to improve my voice. Same with the keyboards. For me keyboards and midi are such great tools for songwritting, so I want to give a lot of time working on keyboards. I'll even write/record some guitar parts (and almost always my bass parts) from the keyboards during the initial writing process because it's so easy to make changes of notes and/or sounds in midi from the piano roll while composing. I always rerecord with actual guitars for the final product.

If someone has the goal of being the best guitarist they can be, then certainly their approach would be different. But that's not my goal. Actually it comes down to what's the most fun/rewarding for me. Finishing the recording of a song I wrote is what I find the most rewarding. A hot guitar part is pretty cool, but for me it's the song that rules.
    post edited by fep - 2007/05/13 14:08:43
    droddey
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 14:31:55 (permalink)
    I want to be able to do my own stuff, and that requires having to develop at least some facility on the keyboard. Guitar and bass aren't a problem for me, and as long as I can get some keyboard chops, that opens the door to the whole world of other instruments and synthetic sounds via keyboard, so it's a necessity. In the piece I'm working on now, I did the piano piece one line at a time. It takes patience and a fair amount of manual cleanup after each line, but it works, and doing more and more of these simpler performances will slowly but surely get me up to more complex multi-line parts and eventually into something like real keyboard playing.

The way I look at it is this: Five years from now, it'll be five years from now. That time will pass, no matter if I make good use of it or not. I can either arrive there without having expanded my horizons, or I can arrive there with expanded horizons, even if that expansion was almost imperceptible on a day to day basis. I choose the latter. It'll be frustrating along the way, but learning any new instrument is. And the pleasure I'll have from being to just sit in my bedroom and create audio monstrosities will be enormous.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    lhansen
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 16:55:20 (permalink)
    Very interesting comments from everyone. It looks like I won't be getting rid of my keyboard, but I will put it away for a time to focus a bit more on guitar. Like a lot of you here, many years were spent playing in bands and the focus was on playing a single instrument. I do luv the recording aspect as much as I luv playing guitar. It's the frustration of trying to do everything else that detracts from what I like doing. To be proficient at something, you always have to sacrifice something else. Maybe it's the mood I'm in today. I do agree that sometimes the creative juices stop flowing, and by noodling around with another instrument, generates the flow again. But it's a big PITA to do a complete song with all the instruments by oneself. I can never seem to capture that same vibe like I do on guitar. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm going to be sounding the horn a lot more when I need other stuff added. Please don't run away! Ya'all seem to take it so calmly and sorta go with the flow as you create and record songs (yeah, right) It's good to peek into the minds of others and to know your thoughts on this. I really appreciate your input. Maybe I'll start a musician's help-line and support group for the creatively challenged!! Ognis, Are you finally sitting down and eating??

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

undadogz
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 17:13:52 (permalink)
    Hi i play all my own stuff and like you theres not enougth hours in a day to play them all the way i would love to be able to.I have had a love of music and creating music since i was in my very early teens,I am self taught at everything drums, guitars, vocals and hmmm keyboards tho im only a 3 finger man
    not only do we try to learn out instruments but we have to write the songs, learn how to use a computer, then the software, mixing mastering etc etc, its pretty daunting really,
    I know i am not speacial at any of the instruments or mixing etc but i have my heart and soul in everything i write play and record, and i think thats what counts keep doing what you love mate cause it come from you, and thats speacial

soppydogz haha !!!
    lhansen
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 17:44:36 (permalink)
    dogz,
    I here ya on the 3 finger keyboard playing. I do the same. Funny.

Slow Marching Band

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 19:49:20 (permalink)
    The second paragraph in "droddey's" post says it all for me. I want to learn this stuff even though I know I can be a better guitar player with more practice on that alone. But then what? I'm learning music theory right now to become a better songwriter. I'm learning Home Studio to become a better engineer. There is no deadline for any of us that I know of. With all this new technology I think we can all make our recordings sound better than we really are anyways. LOL

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/13 22:46:08 (permalink)
    It looks like I won't be getting rid of my keyboard, but I will put it away for a time to focus a bit more on guitar.

Good plan.

I can play a few instruments well enough to develop at least a part outline. When it comes time to lay down the final / real track I'll usually practice the part a lot; if I'm not getting it tight enough, I have no qualms about firing myself and getting someone that can do the part properly.

I do like the process of putting together all the parts, but there's nothing like how another persons creative input can really kick up a piece to another level.
    zeypxun
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 918
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/14 03:45:59 (permalink)
    Well if you were making money doing something in particular then I would say focus on that! But just as a hobby, unless you want to become the greatest guitarist or something, I'd say have fun and play as many as you want!! I got injured a while ago which was good and bad. I completely ruined my wrist for a while (I actually fell off of a basketball rim and all my weight landed on my left wrist. My fingertips touched my elbow, ahh) So I couldn't play guitar for about 5 years, but I could mess around on the drums. I used to be a technical guitar freak, but now I've learned to play and fit into the song instead of playing blazing fast for no reason. I became pretty good on the drums too. I learned some piano and played a little alto sax too. I know... I wish I took voice lessons too, but oh well. It's all fun, I just wish I had more time. The best thing is if you run into a bunch of musicians and there's no drummer, or a guitarist or bassist, then you can play whatever and just jam.
    As to collabs or going solo, I think collabs are great with other like minds because you always feed off each other and it turns into something that no one on their own would have thought of and an energy or synergy builds that keeps feeding it all. Plus if someone is better at a particular instrument then it adds that much more. I remember I used to play bass for some church and I always played with this 4/4 rock drummer on songs that were not meant for 4/4 (like latin songs or whatever) . It would actually limit me because it sounded silly if I played outside of what the drummer was doing. Then one day "Drawback Slim" played for us and he was an amazing all around drummer! I never had so much fun on the bass, it just opened everything up for me. I learned a lot on bass just from playing with him one day! And he was on drums.
    Doing it by yourself is great too. You don't have to worry about people being punctual or no shows. Plus it gives you a chance to exercise your own mind even more I think. Anyways that was kinda long winded. Sorry

www.reverbnation.com/zeypxuntomlittle

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

I'm so happy Faith No More is BACK!
    droddey
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/15 02:35:31 (permalink)
    The great thing about being an auteur (sp?) in the home studio is that there's only one ego to deal with. If I want more cowbell, then damn it, I'll have more cowbell. If I want to do a song without guitars, there's no guitar player whose feelings will be hurt. One thing I find boring about most pop music is that all their songs want to use all of their members, most of the time, and most of them only play one thing and only play that one thing without a somewhat narrow range. But it keeps everyone happy. Everyone is playing all the time, everyone gets their solo spot here and there, etc...

I can rearrange my band on every song if I want, and I like that. Of course there is that thing about me insisting on having four handiwipes on my desk at recording time, arranged in a diamond shape oriented with the current lunar phase, and 2 chocolate chip cookies, medium chips, none too close to the edge, or I freak out and refuse to record. But those little things can be worked around.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/05/15 13:32:44

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/15 05:24:25 (permalink)
    Interesting Delema......
    one I know all to well.....
    oddly enough .....I've never had it so good.....
    times and technology make it possible to teach your self music in a way that was beyond my wildest dreams...
    in my era ...the era of high action ...Black Diamond strings ...The Monkeys...
    a guy would have to schlep a couple of bus rides ..and walk a mile to find a good guitar teacher to study with......

Ihansen , you can play ......
    so don't sweat the keyboard s that much and try to use your guitar to mimic some of the sounds you find interesting to you....
    keys and I go through the same thing......I have one ...
    its here in case I ever have a keyboard player show up...

it sounds like you might be a good candidate for a midi guitar ......
    they are tricky to tame at any tempo ...depending on the patch and latency...
    they can be coaxed into a satisfactory performance with some patience
    the practice of playing guitar using softsynths from all musical genres can open some interesting creative musical ideas.......

has over here at least...

playing keys on a guitar is a gas
    I sure get a lot of laughs doing it ...
    it has been a lot of fun, and I have gone through great lengths to sound like a drunk , one armed blindfolded paino player who is playing the paino with his hand in a cast...
    (it's still better sounding than my keyboard chops..)

as far as collabs ...
    yeah ...thats great to do when you have people of a like mind and spirit
    there is real power in a group of tallented people of like mind working together ...
    the music I'm most proud of doing ...
    has always been the music where other creative musicians have contributed thier tallent with musical parts.......

Kenny
    post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2007/05/15 05:43:40

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/15 07:29:11 (permalink)
    Sheeesh droddey, I thought I was the only one with the medium chocolate chip requirement. Tough thing to be unique these days

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    lhansen
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/15 10:02:29 (permalink)
    Kenny,
    About that era thing. I've been there and back. I used to have a very old Roland guitar synth. ( the kind that was grey & had a long handle on it) interesting piece. I know that they have come out with the VG series, so all I would do is to mount the midi pickup near the bridge. I was toying with that idea as well. I luv your graphic description of using one. Funny. If you have any posts on Soundclick where you're playing with the guitar synth, point me to them so I can give it a listen. Allen Holdsworth was a bit "out there" in his style, where as Craig Chaquita had some nice melodic stuff.

Guitar has always been my main instrument. I'm not interested how fast I play as much as I am about good chord progressions and melody. Ufortunantly, sometimes the song calls for something more to be added to it. I don't want to get into programming drums at all.

I agree. The energy doing the collab thing is almost as good as having live musicians on the spot. There's nothing like it in the world when you have a group of people contributing to a song in a positive way. There is no way to reproduce that artifically.

Well, maybe I'll give the guitar synth a go. I hope it doesn't end up on ebay. What about using an e-bow on acoustic electric? Would it worg?

Slow Marching Band

jayhill
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 578
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/15 10:11:23 (permalink)
    I'm almost convinced in doing more collabs and having others lay down tracks doing what they're good at

That's a +1 for that statement.

Collaboration is extremely powerful...I think, not only, for the fact that you have others doing what they are best at.....but most importantly, like Ed said in his post, you get the Creative Input that they add to your song.

Sending your partially-built song off to someone and they come back with a modified part that you'd never think of in a million years.....wow - that, in turn, gives you the additional spark to take off with "ideas off their ideas", etc, etc.......suddenly your building a more powerful & broadened song.

And in this day & age, with tachnology allowing for such an easy & thorough ability to collaborate with others......we all probably don't take adavantage of it as much as we should.

I've done songs all by myself and also songs in collaboration; and I think in many ways, collaboration is actually more gratifying for me than the ones I did all by myself.

Jeff
    kennywtelejazz
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/15 18:00:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lhansen

Funny. If you have any posts on Soundclick where you're playing with the guitar synth, point me to them so I can give it a listen.

Well, maybe I'll give the guitar synth a go. I hope it doesn't end up on ebay. What about using an e-bow on acoustic electric? Would it worg?

Hi Ihansen.
    well guitar synths are not for eveyone....they just aren't stum and play,,,
    they can be usefull for a little spice....from time to time , and I have found a use for them
    by all means ,,,experement...E Bow's ..odd guitars ...tunings...
    guitar synths have a place...( if it ain't right for you don't buy it and save yourself the headaches )

on my soundclick ( the musical baby Frankenstien collection .)
    I have used guitar synth on a good deal of my eeeeehhhhmmmm work

Fishing Buchanan Creek..all the synth melodys, most of the pads, and the solo everyone thinks is a tele..
    Where Have They Gone, 100% guitar synth...even the clean guitar ....
    Hey Yeah....all guitar synth....with some Tele
    Electric Zucchini....the organ ...the pads...
    Lucit'a...string sections...and a few melodys...
    Robo Funk...pads...a few sections in the outro...
    A Tear For You....some of the synth melodys.....
    Palomino..was written on guitar synth and 80% is guitar synth ...
    I realise most of those might or not be your's or anyones cup of tea...as far as music ...
    the guitar synth has been more or less a tool I have used to experement with ..to flesh out musical ideas ...
    kinda like the Palmarinskey's......... sort of stand in untill the real thing arrives...
    ooopppsss did I say that...
    in any case some of those tunes make a statement for doing collabs ...
    some might say the ones I did all by my self alone ...arent as good as the collabs ....where others have played musical parts .....
    oh well I've argued both side of the musical case ....dang Libra's

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2007/05/15 18:18:17

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

droddey
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/15 18:08:56 (permalink)
    Guitar has always been my main instrument. I'm not interested how fast I play as much as I am about good chord progressions and melody. Ufortunantly, sometimes the song calls for something more to be added to it. I don't want to get into programming drums at all.

You definitely don't have to 'program' them. I use a Trigger Finger (and there other variations on that theme out there) to play my drums. So I'm not doing loops or anything like that. I'm playing it 'live' and I'm using BFD which is effectively live recorded drums. So though I'm not playing a real kit, I'm definitely playing the drums. So you get realistic drumming plus it does provide you with a lot of ability to go back and correct mistakes and to change the dynamics of the performance as the tune comes together more.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/05/15 18:13:37

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    lhansen
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/15 18:36:50 (permalink)
    Jay, Kenny, drooddey- Thanks for all the interesting feed-back. A lot for me to chew on. As they say, "A step at a time". Kenny, I'll check out some of those songs you posted. Thanks again.

Slow Marching Band

CreatingNoise
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/15 20:41:31 (permalink)
    Larry,
    You definitely are not alone in your dilemma as evidenced by all the great replies. I think that you have created some very nice pieces and the non-guitar parts seem to fit just fine. I liked the collaboration piece I listened to also. I think you have a lot of avenues to try and maybe some days it's more fun to go down a particular avenue and another day you might pick a different avenue. Keep the keyboard and use it when it suits you. You'll only improve with time.

Here is a link where you can hear my Roland GR-20 synth in action (song is Common Source).
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=694823

I tell you what Larry. I bought my Roland Synth back in December with the pickup. I had planned to put it on my Kramer but it won't fit without making some kind of modification that I don't want to do. I'm not going to put it on my acoustic. If you want to try the synth route, I'll send it to you. You like it, you keep it. You don't like it, send it back. No strings attached.

lhansen
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/15 21:28:47 (permalink)
    Tony,
    I really appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. BTW, I only have an acoustic and like you, I don't want to be drilling holes in it for the pick-up. I listened to your song and was very impressed with the sounds and composition. If I was seriously considering a guitar synth, Carvin guitars makes a nylon-string acoustic with a synth pick-up built in. It 's really nice of you to offer doing that, especially since you don't know me. At least I don't feel alone in the fact that most people on this forum are faced with the same things! LOL

Slow Marching Band

CreatingNoise
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/16 07:50:12 (permalink)
    Larry,
    Well, I do owe you a bit of an apology as I forgot a very important detail about my pickup. The detail is that it does not work alone (the pickup), it must have a MIDI converter (Axon or a Roland GR-20 and maybe others) that it can attach to first before it can be used to lay down MIDI tracks or control any other MIDI devices. So while my offer was sincere, I overlooked the fact that you would have needed to purchase a 13 pin cord and a MIDI converter to make use of it. I can understand why one might not feel comfortable with the situation and I can respect that.

By the way, the pickup doesn't require any drilling. It can be attached that way if the user wants to but the more popular option is to use the double sided tape method although that can hurt your guitar's finish if you ever decide to pull it off. My Kramer simply does not have room between the bridge humbucker and the floyd rose tremolo bridge to even install it so that was my problem with that.

Godin also has a nylon string (or steel) thinline acoustic with built in piezo bridge and synth access. In the future I plan to buy one. I'll have to check out the Carvin. That's a name I haven't seen in awhile.

Hmmm.....maybe I'll have to go buy that Fender Telecaster I've been eyeing so I can put my pickup on that! Heh, heh.

I am still learning to use my synth and up to this point have only layed tracks down as audio. I've done some MIDI track laying experiments but never gone on to use it in a composition. I am interested in going in that direction since I can clean up the performance in Sonar. While I have a traditional keyboard synth, I am looking to make use of my guitar playing to add synth textures to my tunes. Your thread definitely caught my eye because of that.

OK, keep the good tunes coming.

AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/16 15:22:09 (permalink)
    Larry,

You rock. I listened to your top song, "Follow.." and it's hipnotic. Great work with the pads, rythmes and keys, .... THEN the guitar comes in. Don't closet your keyboard. I've listened to LOTS of music. I have a very eclectic ear and there are some major label recording artists that I can't beleive get picked for the studio. Keep you keyboard as yet another tool in your arsenal. You've got the inner musical light. The keys will do you good in the days/weeks/years to come. You can bless a lot of lives with your talent, and the keys are part of that talent (from what I've heard)

Woo Hoo! Continue the recording, Matthew
    post edited by AsherLongley - 2007/05/16 15:25:31
    lhansen
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/16 15:39:29 (permalink)
    Matthew,
    Thanks for the encouraging words and listening to the song. I actually took the keyboards out of the closet this morning, set 'em up , and played a little. Later on, I went down to the local music store and picked up another acoustic guitar so I can set it up for an alternate tuning per Kenny's advice. I get bored very easily musically, and I just want to keep, fresh, interesting, ideas flowing. I promise I'll hold on to the synth!! Thanks.

Slow Marching Band

kennywtelejazz
    RE: Being a muti-instrumentalist. 2007/05/17 04:16:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lhansen

I went down to the local music store and picked up another acoustic guitar so I can set it up for an alternate tuning per Kenny's advice. I get bored very easily musically, and I just want to keep, fresh, interesting, ideas flowing.

thats how it all starts.....
    " Honey I'll be right back ..I'm just running out to the music store to pick up a set of strings... "
    before you know it you got to get sets for a steel string , a nylon string, a 12 string, a guitar in D , a guitar in G , a dobro.. a mandolin...a banjo ....
    Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1