Below the Horizon by ZMobius

Author
Z_Mobius
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2012/07/09 16:34:41 (permalink)

Below the Horizon by ZMobius

My newest complete composition in the style of electronic jazz is available here: http://soundcloud.com/zmobius/below-the-horizon-mp3. This is Below the Horizon, a catchy but relaxing tune with many improvisational solos.

I've been working very hard with different types of virtual instruments since my last work submitted to the community, which is called Take Flight. This song has been remixed, however, and sounds quite different from what it sounded like before. It is also available on my Soundcloud.

Please enjoy and let me know what you think!

4 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Below the Horizon by ZMobius 2012/07/09 19:53:27 (permalink)
    This is indeed a catchy tune with a number of cool improvisations.  I try to imagine this without the constant drum solo in the background, and it is, or could be relaxing.  But, those drums.  Unless you're Billy Cobham, they just don't fit the style, imo.  They are way too busy and too loud and distract from the other excellent parts that are going on.  Unless you're trying for the Majavishnu Orchestra version of relaxing jazz, I would rethink that part.  Others may disagree, and I may be missing the point.  Could this be a fusion of speed drumming and easy listening?  You may be ahead of the curve here, and I'm just slow to pick up on it.  Anyway, it's interesting, catchy, and (at least in my eyes) controversial.  

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Below the Horizon by ZMobius 2012/07/09 20:12:36 (permalink)
    Ok it sounds very Emerson, Lake and Palmer so I disagree with Lynn and the constant drum solo stuff.  This is how Palmer played drums.

The sounds are getting better, but stay away from that cheesy Sax.  Use a moog instead and create a Sax that way.  Yes the Sax sounds a bit Benny Hill and not in a good way.

I don't mind the composition.  The mix is not bad, infact quite good and once again the sequencing is of a top notch nature.

Look get X1 if you can, it will improve your sounds quality.

But I can hear progression and that is all I ever ask for in a artist.

Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    MetalTeK
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Below the Horizon by ZMobius 2012/07/10 06:53:29 (permalink)
    Well I don't really care for the electronica sound.  I think if you had some more natural sounding VSTi's it would make a big difference.  But I know good ones are hard to come by.

But, it is what it is, and I think the writing and arrangements are pretty brilliant.  So great job there.  Sounds like you put a lot of thought into it.

I do see what Lynn is saying about the drums though.  Don't know if I'd say there is too much going on, or they just need to be brought down a little, jmo, of course. 

ABeautifulVirus
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re:Below the Horizon by ZMobius 2012/07/10 11:09:16 (permalink)
    this is quite original.  kinda sounds like if herbie hancock and howard jones made a recording w/ a metal drummer.  think it may be even more intense if you used real drums...but it stands as a valid well produced piece of art as is.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1