Ben, what happened to the strip background colors?

Author
tecknot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 766
2018/06/06 00:40:58 (permalink)

Ben, what happened to the strip background colors?

I noticed that the strip background colors (focused vs. unfocused) has become broken.  No longer does the color change when clicking/activating a track strip in the TV or the CV.  I went back to SPLAT to confirm and it is so.

I previously found another "theme" anomaly after the .05 update, but I can't recall what it was.  If later I do, I will add it to this thread.

While I am at it, is there a way to disable/turn off the Track Color overlay or just completely change the track color via the color picker?  I never liked the look of the track/strip color overlay.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

tecknot

8 Replies Related Threads

Ben Staton [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re: Ben, what happened to the strip background colors? 2018/06/06 09:24:20 (permalink)
    Hi tecknot,

Track colors are now shown in strip backgrounds by default, and track focus is indicated by the track name only (it lights up when a track is focused).

However, you can change this by going to Preferences -> Colors, and unchecking 'Show strip colors'. When that's off, track colors are no longer shown in strip backgrounds, and the focused strip background will be subtly highlighted (in addition to the track name lighting up). IOW, it works just as it did with the original Mercury theme in older versions of SONAR.

Hopefully that should solve your problem.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Daibhidh
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 204
    Re: Ben, what happened to the strip background colors? 2018/06/06 10:09:56 (permalink)
    I love coloured strips, but I set the saturation to the lowest possible setting.
    It's easiest to read, and provides more than enough colour for me to quickly identify tracks.
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Ben, what happened to the strip background colors? 2018/06/06 15:48:59 (permalink)
    I do miss the active channel highlighting. Why was it removed?

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    Ben Staton [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re: Ben, what happened to the strip background colors? 2018/06/06 16:14:02 (permalink)
    It hasn't been removed. Focused track highlighting *is* shown when 'Show strip colors' is off, and is *not* shown when it's on. That's always been the case.

The reason? Lots of different track background colors mean the subtle highlight very often gets lost in all the other colors, to the point where it becomes useless.

For example, you might have a blue track, and a yellow track. Focus the blue track, and the background highlight makes it appear a bit lighter - but it's still significantly darker than the yellow track background! In that situation, the yellow track might appear to be focused at a glance, so what's the point of the highlight? It doesn't work well/consistently when lots of colors are involved.

That said, there are other ways to convey focus of course. Arguably we should investigate alternatives, but for now, that's why we don't highlight focused track backgrounds when 'Show strip colors' is on.
    tecknot
    Re: Ben, what happened to the strip background colors? 2018/06/06 21:01:50 (permalink)
    Fair enough.  Thanks, Ben.  Keep up the excellent work.  Really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

tecknot
    tecknot
    Re: Ben, what happened to the strip background colors? 2018/06/06 21:11:26 (permalink)
    Daibhidh
    I love coloured strips, but I set the saturation to the lowest possible setting.
    It's easiest to read, and provides more than enough colour for me to quickly identify tracks.

Thanks for the suggestion, David.  That's something I had not noticed since I haven't accessed the Colors (in Pereferences) for quite some time. 

Kind regards,

tecknot
    Daibhidh
    • Total Posts : 204
    Re: Ben, what happened to the strip background colors? 2018/06/06 21:46:48 (permalink)
    Ben, my suggestion is a metalic shiny something for focused track highlighting.
    :)
    chris.r
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re: Ben, what happened to the strip background colors? 2018/06/06 23:00:39 (permalink)
    Ben Staton [Cakewalk]
    That said, there are other ways to convey focus of course. Arguably we should investigate alternatives...

Please definitely do that! :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1