Ben's final reveiw of Notion3

Author
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
2012/01/16 00:36:05 (permalink)

Ben's final reveiw of Notion3

Here is my attempt of Eleanor Rigby with Notion 3 as my sting quartet:  http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks/eleanorrigby

Ok about a month ago I brought some software called Notion 3. This is a new and exciting bit of kit, essentially it is a notation/score program but it is more an orchestral instrument. It comes with a 10 gig multi-sample library recorded at Abbey Road studio's and using the LSO (London Symphony orchestra). You can also upgrade the sound library with the much more professional Vienna symphony orchestra sample library.

Huh what is an orchestral instrument?? Well it's a virtual orchestra and all that statement entails.
There have been a few foray’s into this sort of program over the years, most notable have been Halion by Steinberg, Native Instruments Komplete and the score editors Sibelius and Finale.

The problem with the first two programs and I haven't used them but I have looked over their specs is a lack of real score inputting tools. This is articulations and tools that make a violin sound like a violin.
Cubase is trying to address this by beefing up its score editor but after using Notion 3 I know that this is nigh on impossible. Cubase does have some score tools, things like dynamics and some articulations but not a full complement of tools, things like staccato and semi staccato playing are missing and these are very important to get a realistic orchestral sound. Without it, it makes instruments like Halion and Komplete a little impotent.
Now I have used Finale but not Sibelius. Finale is the big loser in this battle because it is just a score editor not a virtual instrument: The sounds included with Finale are just not up to scratch.

I am listening to a tune played by Sibelius at the moment, just to compare sounds and I must admit I like Notion 3's string sounds much more but that is just personal taste. Sibelius is the much more complete program out of Notion 3 and Sibelius but at roughly 600 pounds compared to 300 dollars US there is always going to be a difference.

Notion 3 is the newer program on the block so to speak, so it is a program in development, this means there is no 64 bit support, yet, nor does the sample rate go any higher than 44.1Khz and this is the most disappointing thing about the software as a whole. I found this to be ridiculus, how can software in this day and age not go up to 96Khz at least.

But there are trade off's, Notion 3 has full VST implementation, something that I don't think Sibelius has and this may have something to do with the better sounding strings. For the track Eleanor Rigby I used UAD's Precision Maximiser and the Fairchild limiter. This allowed me to dial in some "tube harmonics" and to widen the stereo image by way of the Lat/Vert button on the Fairchild.

It also comes with an IK MultiMedia hall verb and amp sim, this is where I hit another problem. There are 4 VST slots per instrument and on the main output buss. The hall verb takes up on of those slots on the main buss and cannot be removed. After placing the Maximiser and the Fairchild over the top of the verb, I went to put a brickwall limiter over the top but the top slot does not work. This was a good thing though because I would have over mastered the track.
Another point this program has over Sibelius is it's performance abilities but this is something I haven't looked at yet but I do know that you can "perform" tempo. This means from how understand it, you can tap a tempo via a midi controller and the program follows that tempo. Now that is a neat trick.
The program also allows you in performance mode to improvise somewhat by using rehearsal marks, this allows you to jump to different parts of score whilst still in performance mode.

Ok all in all a great program apart from the lack of 96Khz support, 64 bit (yes even I can see the benefits of 64 bit when using a program like this) and the VST slot problem. It is rewire compatible but it's a bit glitchy this may have been though the VST plugs on the main buss slot.
I know that the above problems would put some user's off and some of you are probably wondering why I am going that this is a great program. For me the benefits out weigh the negatives. I now understand string theory for instance, this program is great for teaching music theory. Its very visually oriented, this is great for me as a visual learner.

I also have a program (Notion3) that allows me to map out a tune before going into Sonar, this too for me is very important. I work in odd time signatures, I can use the guitar sound's supplied with Notion 3 to hear what I am trying to play, work out what the time signature is and note durations. Awesome, did I mention that Notion also comes with a guitar fret board that allows you to input notes from the guitar fret board, this is a must for all you guitarists.

Finally because there are too many great functions to mention everyone here, the real reason I love this software is it is proof that we are sooo close to doing away with orchestra's all together, maybe not live (I don't actually agree with that but I know some of you would not accept a virtual orchestra, live) but def we are close to having top class orchestral sounds for our studio productions. This was something almost unheard of 10 years ago.
If you don't believe me listen to my post modern experimental version of Eleanor Rigby http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks/eleanorrigby tell me what you think, can you really tell the difference?? If you listen closely, the only problem I can pick is couple of notes that sound a bit odd but this may be because I was working without a full score (the score was lacking all dynamic markers, staccato markers and various other articulations, I had to interpret the score as best I could) and the one I did have is riddled with mistakes.

Ok I hope you enjoy Eleanor Rigby, Peace Ben

post edited by BenMMusTech - 2012/01/16 00:38:25

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1