Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture?

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2015/07/19 01:43:22 (permalink)

Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture?

Hi-

I have DimPro and Rapture and one more day to take advantage of the $79 upgrade (this time around, at least.) I've watched the videos and read, I think, what there is to read about it, but I'm wondering if those who upgraded could comment on the benefits of RapPro over DimPro & Rapture.

I'm primarily but not exclusively interested in acoustic instrument simulations rather than pads, soundscapes, etc. I couldn't find a complete listing of the preset names, but that probably wouldn't tell me much anyway. I listened to the demos and they seemed geared more towards "electronic" music, to put it broadly.

I guess what I'm asking is for those of you who already owned Dim Pro and Rapture and still purchased Rapture Pro, do you feel like it was worth it, after you've used it a while (and why or why not!).

TVMIA-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

17 Replies Related Threads

jih64
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 797
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/19 02:42:22 (permalink)
    Susan G
    Hi-

I have DimPro and Rapture and one more day to take advantage of the $79 upgrade (this time around, at least.) I've watched the videos and read, I think, what there is to read about it, but I'm wondering if those who upgraded could comment on the benefits of RapPro over DimPro & Rapture.

I'm primarily but not exclusively interested in acoustic instrument simulations rather than pads, soundscapes, etc. I couldn't find a complete listing of the preset names, but that probably wouldn't tell me much anyway. I listened to the demos and they seemed geared more towards "electronic" music, to put it broadly.

I guess what I'm asking is for those of you who already owned Dim Pro and Rapture and still purchased Rapture Pro, do you feel like it was worth it, after you've used it a while (and why or why not!).

TVMIA-

-Susan

I would say for that, out of the 3 you listed Dimension Pro, Rapture, Rapture Pro, Dimension Pro has got you covered, while there are some patches which may suit you, the factory Rapture Pro sounds/presets are more Rapturey/Synthy as you already surmised.

Benefits of Rapture Pro, well it will be supported into the future, it will play all your Dim Pro and Rapture stuff, some say that the old stuff sounds better in Rapture Pro, I am not convinced, it certainly doesn't jump out and slap you in the face. A week or so ago, and before the latest update I would have given a completely different answer. Plus in the future there may be expansions which will cater for the acoustic style stuff, but that is unknown.

As to whether or not you should buy it ? well like I said, a week ago my answer would have been totally different (if I answered) something like, "run away, run fast and run far" but after a fairly disastrous start, they seem to be getting it together, and I must give them the benefit of the doubt and say that that will likely continue, and it will all probably be good in the end, lets hope so. There are still silent/barely audible Factory content, and volume levels can vary quite significantly, but this is apparently being addressed in a future update. All the legacy 'appears' to be fine now. Up to you whether you buy it or not, but better to buy during a sale then at full price. I'm not sure I would miss it if I didn't have it, I only just recently reinstalled it after having it uninstalled for quite a while. Still don't really use it, where as I do Dim Pro and Rapture.
    Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/19 10:25:46 (permalink)
    Jury still out imho. Bakers still improving it. At least it is usable now.
    post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/07/19 10:32:41

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/19 10:37:44 (permalink)
    I'm finding significant (not measured) performance improvement using Rap Pro vs Dim Pro for the same programs.  I haven't done anything with it yet, but I really want to explore the marriage of synth/sampler.

Lastly, and this is a fact of life thing, I don't expect Dim Pro and Rapture non-Pro to continue to get any resources expended on them.  Being newer, it's not unreasonable to expect Rap Pro to get more developer love moving forward.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/19 11:07:00 (permalink)
    if you feel comfortable with the interfaces of the older programs, the upgrade may not be so worthwhile....hard to say.  But the Rapture Pro interface is much easier to use.  I personally didn't get REALLY deep into the older interfaces, and so I'm sure just scratched the surface.  Rapture Pro has allowed me to do more, without having to read the instruction manual.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/19 14:24:20 (permalink)
    As others have pointed out, Rap Pro should continue to develop, esp. w/ new libraries.  Rap Pro does Dimension Pro fine, sounds great.  And you could do deeper programming w/ Rap Pro if that is what you are into (more layers, or step sequence your French Horn).  But for playing back the Dim Pro patches, it is probably not worth the money, although comparing all the Rap/Dim libraries available in one synth is nice rather than switching between two apps. 

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/19 15:28:36 (permalink)
    If you're interested, I just put up a review you can find here (yes, I know the URL got garbled, but it is what it is  ):

http://soundbytesmag.net/ratprueprobycakewalk/

Edit: the URL has been corrected.  It is now:

http://soundbytesmag.net/raptureprobycakewalk/
    post edited by dmbaer - 2015/07/21 18:03:27
    jih64
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 797
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/19 19:33:28 (permalink)
    Why not Review the Release version ? Some may think you waited for a bunch of fixes to do your Review Advertisement, because that is what it comes across like to anyone who has been there from the start. A huge discourse on the functionality, with a, 'oh . . .  by the way . . .  there were a few problems early on, but don't worry about that, all fixed now' tucked away in some corner at the end.

There were major issues for some/a lot people, they couldn't even authorize the thing, stuck in demo mode, it took that long to load for some that they thought it not worth the aggravation, Legacy expansion packs would work, even Factory content to this day has serious issues with volume variations and silent/barely audible patches, that's 3 months on ? No sign of this in the Review Advertisement?

[Edit] To me, it would be far more transparent, dare I say honest (not questioning anyone's honesty, just making an observation) to review the product 'as released' then add updates as fixes/patches become available, ie

[Update] Patch 1 of Rapture pro has been released which addresses such and such
    [Update] Patch 2 of Rapture pro has been released which addresses such and such
    [Update] Patch 3 of Rapture pro has been released which addresses such and such, it has been a long road, but at last Rapture Pro is finally in a position to be called a worthy upgrade to both Dimension Pro and the original Rapture.

Which in the end it most likely will be, but up until now . . . well . . .
    post edited by jih64 - 2015/07/19 20:02:21
    AT
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/20 12:46:35 (permalink)
    Jeff, I don't know the policies at Soundbytes but most magazines (and not just music tech) have deadlines, length and other aspects that have to be met.  That can play all kinds of havoc w/ going in depth into versions, qualities etc.  I could easily write a long pp about the trials of getting a stable version and burn up 20% of my review length. So what?  What is most important is how does the latest version of whatever you are reviewing work when you come to the deadline.  And the latest Rap Pro works great.  I wouldn't review a Volkswagen bug and be upset that it no longer floats like the 1960s version (there is a great Ted Kennedy joke in there if you remember National Lampoon).

I didn't put in any requests to review Rapture Pro because of the problems w/ the early versions.  It was a mess and just exactly could I write that anyone would want to read or publish?  It doesn't work right so don't buy it until it does.  Then do I get another review to say they fixed these problems? 

I like Cakewalk and their products and I trusted them to get it right, but up until a few weeks ago I wouldn't want to go to press saying trust me, this will be a good synth once they get basic stuff like finding libraries worked out.  Knowing Cake and their people I could see each version getting better, but that ain't reviewing, that is hope based on experience.  And I could tell it would be a great synth for programming and I would like to add my two cents worth about what would make it better for performance, like relational pads, like the joysticks on the old Synthi (on it you could make the X axis of filter Cutoff more and less pitch depth for Y axis).  But I didn't really want to spend a couple of weeks trying to make RapPro work consistently while exploring all the working aspects of it while having to bump back the deadline (pissing off editors and Cake and taking up more of my valuable time).  maybe if I wasn't moving the studio, but I simply didn't have the time or inclination. 

There is no real money in writing reviews - people do it because they want to and are interested in the products. Do you like to spend a month working over a POS you don't want to actually use later?  And nobody writes reviews to trick you consumers into buying the product, but (hopefully) to use as a useful comparison tool. 

But as it stands, Rap Pro is a nice synth, combining the best features and sounds of both Dim Pro and Rapt.  New libraries too (look at Kontakt and tell me how important content is).  Some nice performance enhancements too.  Hardly groundbreaking, but a good synth for the price if you don't have one (and the SFZ sound does have a nice bite in comparison to many VAs and sample synths) and a cheap addition/replacement if you do have the other Cake synths if you buy it on sale (for > $100 it is worth it just for the convenience).

There are bad reviewers out there, dmbaer ain't one of them.

@
    post edited by AT - 2015/07/20 12:54:59

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    SimpleManZ
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/20 13:53:10 (permalink)
    I think this review is spot on as of July 2015. It does in fact mentioned the pros and did not hide the cons.
    Combining two synths into one is a cool concept.
    I often what could have been if Cakewalk had the ability to combine Sonar and Project 5 into ONE.
    Susan G
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/20 15:33:04 (permalink)
    Thanks to all for the excellent feedback, and esp. to David for his very informative review! I've decided to hold off buying it for now, but I'm sure I'll consider it again at a later date.

Thanks again-

-Susan

dmbaer
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/20 16:30:02 (permalink)
    jih64
    Some may think you waited for a bunch of fixes to do your Review Advertisement, because that is what it comes across like to anyone who has been there from the start.

For the record, SoundBytes writers are volunteer computer music enthusiasts from around the world.  We do not make a cent on publication.  In fact, I personally pay the majority of the hosting costs.  All the writers contribute to the magazine because we simply really dig computer music production and enjoy writing about it.  Some of what we review (but not all) is vendor-supplied NFR software.  But our unofficial policy is that we choose to not write bad reviews about crappy software - there are too many good instruments and plug-ins that deserve attention, and too many small developers who merit coverage instead.  Your characterization of my review as being an "advertisement" is far from accurate.

As to the version I reviewed, it was the one available when I started to dig into the instrument.  I had prepared for the review by studying the manual (both old and Pro), but I didn't really start using the software to any extent until about two days before the latest release was posted, so obviously it made sense to use that for evaluation.
    post edited by dmbaer - 2015/07/20 16:38:02
    dmbaer
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/20 16:32:09 (permalink)
    AT

Thanks for the kind words, AT. 
    AT
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/21 13:50:46 (permalink)
    Just the facts.  And not to rag on Jeff - he was correct about the early releases.  Still, I don't think most mags have room for such a break down and most users aren't interested in what was.  They are interested in what the synth (or other software) can do for them today.

And for the record, Jeff, I was pissed too.  And it was hard w/ SONAR wanting to do monthly updates and windows updates and the everlasting Win 10 icon - I didn't know what software to punch for a month or longer.  None of my stuff was working right and every update from Rapt to windows seemed to break something else.

@

chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/21 14:40:35 (permalink)
    Susan G
    Hi-

Hi Susan,

Between the new sample content and the RPro Browser Page it is well worth the upgrade in my opinion.  The Search function can't be underestimated for handiness.  In the future I hope they also roll out a rating system or way to tag favorites within the Browser.  But for now being able to search Organs, Stings, or whatever is needed for a project helps save time tremendously. 

Susan G

There are many new acoustic additions that are not highlighted within the demos very well.  Just off the top of my head:

- A wonderful new Grand Piano from Chocolate Audio
    - New Orchestral Instruments, Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion
    - Concert Grand Harp
    - Organs
    - Percussion Sets

The factory programs have fully taken advantage of all of the new content either, lots of room for program tweaking, combining, and customization.  Also hidden gems including new Multisample mappings that take advantage of Dimension Pro's factory library if anyone has looked inside the 'Dimension Combo Textures' folder (hint, hint).  You'll find hundreds of new .sfz mappings that combine and stack orchestral content from the original Dimension Pro factory library. 

I contributed to the RPro factory content so I may be slightly biased, but I do believe there is some great content in the Rapture Pro factory.  The current website demos only scratch the surface. 

Cheers,
    Chad
    AT
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/21 15:25:03 (permalink)
    Keep them hints coming, Chad.  You da man.

Do a sticky.

Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/23 02:52:01 (permalink)

AT

I will have to agree with this!!
    post edited by Grem - 2015/07/23 02:59:13

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Susan G
    Re: Benefits to Rapture Pro over DimPro + Rapture? 2015/07/24 01:59:20 (permalink)
    chad
    Hi Susan,

Between the new sample content and the RPro Browser Page it is well worth the upgrade in my opinion.  The Search function can't be underestimated for handiness.  In the future I hope they also roll out a rating system or way to tag favorites within the Browser.  But for now being able to search Organs, Stings, or whatever is needed for a project helps save time tremendously. 

There are many new acoustic additions that are not highlighted within the demos very well.  Just off the top of my head:

- A wonderful new Grand Piano from Chocolate Audio
    - New Orchestral Instruments, Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion
    - Concert Grand Harp
    - Organs
    - Percussion Sets

The factory programs have fully taken advantage of all of the new content either, lots of room for program tweaking, combining, and customization.  Also hidden gems including new Multisample mappings that take advantage of Dimension Pro's factory library if anyone has looked inside the 'Dimension Combo Textures' folder (hint, hint).  You'll find hundreds of new .sfz mappings that combine and stack orchestral content from the original Dimension Pro factory library. 

I contributed to the RPro factory content so I may be slightly biased, but I do believe there is some great content in the Rapture Pro factory.  The current website demos only scratch the surface. 

Cheers,
    Chad

Hi Chad-

That's very helpful, thanks!  I'll definitely take a closer look next time it goes on sale. Maybe the demos will be updated by then to highlight some of the acoustic additions, too, since they sound very appealing.

-Susan

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1