Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs?

Author
Jakebake
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2017/05/19 01:39:26 (permalink)

Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs?

Hello everyone!
I just purchased the addictive drums 2 pack where you get 3 adpaks and 3 midipaks and I am trying to figure out what to get. I know it depends on what styles you like, but it seems like either way there will be some midipaks that will be better than others. I like pop/alternative rock such as fall out boy, my chemical romance, etc but I am also looking for some harder rock beats as well. I like a lot of different styles but that is what I think I want first.
So far I have the Fairview 1 kit and black velvet. For kits I was thinking about maybe also getting vintage dry but also thought maybe the real machines could be cool if wanted to add some 808s or some cool effects.
My biggest concern is the midipacks. I want the ones with the most usuable variations. So far I got the American rock pack but I am pretty disappointed with it. All the beats are relatively similar and there aren't many of them. Some one's I was considering were the vintage dry midipak seems to have some variation, rock n roll, the loud songs, heavy rock songs, writer's block, alternative rock. There are just too many choices (not a bad thing) and the demos in AD2 don't give you enough to really make a good choice. I don't want to end up with something like the American rock pack again. I am also considering the real machines midipak of I get the real machines kit (how does it sound with acoutstic kits?).
Thanks guys! I know there are other threads on this but they seem to be more about the kits rather than the midipaks. Also, any recommendations for which three extra kit pieces to choose from?

Thanks!

27 Replies Related Threads

june61944
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/19 02:14:46 (permalink)
    I like Writer's Block - lot's of fill variations, intros, bridges, etc.  For basic beats I love the Funk'd Up midi pak - its flexible, sounds "human" and overall just what I was looking for.  There are so many funk variations in rock today that its easy to apply them in a number of situations - I'm not writing anything close to funk but love "funky" beats.  Using them with Black Velvet moves them right into that harder prog rock realm.  The fills in that pak are good, too.  The Alternative Rock package is probably second in pecking order for me as far as straight beats go.  For straight rock, I really like the Retro songs pak.  The only one I don't have is the newish Heavy Beats and Songs.  Demos sound interesting, though...

Studio One 3.5. SPLAT 64.  Win 7 Pro.  Dell 7010, i7 3770, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM.  Tascam US-122 Mk II.  Lotsa other gadgets. 
    june61944
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/19 03:07:09 (permalink)
    Failed to mention the Core midi files that come standard with AD2.  Tons of stuff in there across all genres.

Studio One 3.5. SPLAT 64.  Win 7 Pro.  Dell 7010, i7 3770, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM.  Tascam US-122 Mk II.  Lotsa other gadgets. 
    Jakebake
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/19 06:51:48 (permalink)
    june61944
    I like Writer's Block - lot's of fill variations, intros, bridges, etc.  For basic beats I love the Funk'd Up midi pak - its flexible, sounds "human" and overall just what I was looking for.  There are so many funk variations in rock today that its easy to apply them in a number of situations - I'm not writing anything close to funk but love "funky" beats.  Using them with Black Velvet moves them right into that harder prog rock realm.  The fills in that pak are good, too.  The Alternative Rock package is probably second in pecking order for me as far as straight beats go.  For straight rock, I really like the Retro songs pak.  The only one I don't have is the newish Heavy Beats and Songs.  Demos sound interesting, though...

Thanks a lot! So which paks do you think have the best fills? How do you like the Dry Beasts pak or the Loud Pak or the RocknRoll pak? Hmm Funk'd up does seem interesting...
    How does Reel Machines pak sound on acoustic drums? Which kits do you own? 
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/19 12:30:55 (permalink)
    Heavy, Dry, and Loud MIDIPaks are all good, because they all have beats and songs.  Plenty of variations.  I also have Funk'd Up, Alternative Rock, and Percussion Beats.  Funk'd up is really good!  I got the Dry Beats and Songs to pair with the Vintage Dry kit, and the Percussion Beats to go with the Session Percussion kit.

As far as kits, I have both Fairfax 1 and 2, which are both good.  I also added United Heavy and Black Velvet.

I think I lean towards United Heavy first if I need something loud, and Vintage Dry is versatile for just about anything, especially if you are looking for a natural sound.  The Fairfax's are somewhere in between these other two, in my opinion.  As far as Black Velvet, I tend to go to the other kits first, although I like a few sounds it has.

Session Percussion is always good to have, because it extends the range of your percussion setup.  The grooves in the Percussion Beats MIDIPak are great too, and are designed for that kit. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Jakebake
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/19 15:20:36 (permalink)
    abacab
    Heavy, Dry, and Loud MIDIPaks are all good, because they all have beats and songs.  Plenty of variations.  I also have Funk'd Up, Alternative Rock, and Percussion Beats.  Funk'd up is really good!  I got the Dry Beats and Songs to pair with the Vintage Dry kit, and the Percussion Beats to go with the Session Percussion kit.

As far as kits, I have both Fairfax 1 and 2, which are both good.  I also added United Heavy and Black Velvet.

I think I lean towards United Heavy first if I need something loud, and Vintage Dry is versatile for just about anything, especially if you are looking for a natural sound.  The Fairfax's are somewhere in between these other two, in my opinion.  As far as Black Velvet, I tend to go to the other kits first, although I like a few sounds it has.

Session Percussion is always good to have, because it extends the range of your percussion setup.  The grooves in the Percussion Beats MIDIPak are great too, and are designed for that kit. 

Thanks a lot! So if you would only pick one between loud or heavy which would you choose? Also what about Dry vs Funk's up?
    abacab
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/19 16:28:31 (permalink)
    XLN recommends Loud Beats and Songs to accompany Black Velvet.  All the patterns are Rock category and listed as Loud Beat xx or Loud Song xx with various tempos.  Good solid rhythms here, 20 beats plus variations, and 10 songs.

Heavy Beats and Songs is recommended for the United Heavy kit.  It has a greater variety of Rock sub-genres in 20 beats plus variations, a separate group of fills, and 8 songs.

Dry covers a lot of categories, from Pop Rock, Dance, Soul, Funk, Retro Pop.  20 beats plus variations, 10 songs.

Funk'd Up has a shedload of funky beats and grooves, and fills.  Good stuff.

Get em all! 

abacab
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/19 16:41:38 (permalink)
    As far as American Rock is concerned, I find it has a lot of similar patterns as you have noted, but so does Loud Beats.  They are useful if you like that style.

As for variety, I found that Alternative Rock, Heavy Beats, Dry Beats, Funk'd Up, and Percussion Beats have the most among the paks I have so far.  Enough to keep me occupied! 

Jakebake
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/21 22:53:23 (permalink)
    abacab
    As far as American Rock is concerned, I find it has a lot of similar patterns as you have noted, but so does Loud Beats.  They are useful if you like that style.

As for variety, I found that Alternative Rock, Heavy Beats, Dry Beats, Funk'd Up, and Percussion Beats have the most among the paks I have so far.  Enough to keep me occupied! 

Haha thanks! So I got heavy beats and songs, loud beats, and dry songs . I do like them all I think the heavy beats and the United heavy kit are definitely my favorite so far. How does the rock n roll pak compare to these? Or possibly even the metal ones
    Jakebake
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/21 23:55:43 (permalink)
    Double post
    abacab
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/22 00:06:44 (permalink)
    Jakebake
    abacab

Haha thanks! So I got heavy beats and songs, loud beats, and dry songs . I do like them all I think the heavy beats and the United heavy kit are definitely my favorite so far. How does the rock n roll pak compare to these? Or possibly even the metal ones

I really do like United Heavy.  That one is probably my favorite so far.  I'm not aware of any rock n roll paks, and I haven't tried the metal yet. 

Jakebake
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/22 03:34:07 (permalink)
    abacab
    Jakebake
    abacab

I really do like United Heavy.  That one is probably my favorite so far.  I'm not aware of any rock n roll paks, and I haven't tried the metal yet. 

The RocknRoll one is just called RocknRoll midipak
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/22 15:48:02 (permalink)
    XLN runs a 50% of everything sale at least once a year. The last one was in October of 2016. That's a good time to load up on midi Paks.

Rocky
    abacab
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/22 19:54:36 (permalink)
    bluzdog
    XLN runs a 50% of everything sale at least once a year. The last one was in October of 2016. That's a good time to load up on midi Paks.

Rocky

Yup!  They just ran the sale again in April.  Loaded up a new Custom Pak with 3 ADpaks, 3 MIDIpaks, and 3 kitpieces for $63, great deal!!!

Just a tip here ... XLN will not sell the custom pack bundles directly to existing customers.  But you can buy them at resellers when they go on sale (or anytime actually), and use the registration code obtained with your XLN Online Installer to activate the merchandise.

JRR Shop is a good one to keep an eye on https://www.jrrshop.com/xln-audio-addictive-drums-2-custom
    as well as Audio Deluxe https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/xln-audio-addictive-drums-2-custom

abacab
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/22 20:11:25 (permalink)
    Oops, just noticed that Audio Deluxe is offering a MAY2017 Coupon for 50% off on XLN Custom right now, but you have to log in and add to cart to see the sale!!!  So it's going for $74.97 ...

Jakebake
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/22 22:54:28 (permalink)
    abacab
    Oops, just noticed that Audio Deluxe is offering a MAY2017 Coupon for 50% off on XLN Custom right now, but you have to log in and add to cart to see the sale!!!  So it's going for $74.97 ...

Yeah I just saw that! So even if I already bought the custom pack before I can buy that again and get the paks?
    abacab
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/22 23:13:50 (permalink)
    I think you can buy as many as you want.  Each purchase provides a unique registration code.

Jakebake
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/23 04:08:18 (permalink)
    abacab
    I think you can buy as many as you want.  Each purchase provides a unique registration code.

Ah wow ok. And so they will all just play when I open up addictive drums? I think the part that is throwing me off is it included the program
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/23 13:29:17 (permalink)
    I've had 4 custom packs now, 3 from JRR and one from Audio Deluxe. So despite XLN site saying I can't have another custom pack from them, I have had no issues buying from a third party and redeeming through the installer. My last purchase was just a couple of months ago. 

kson
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 540
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/05/30 03:18:20 (permalink)
    it really depends on your style of music but I've found Percussion to be a great pack.
    reberclark
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/06/27 20:45:51 (permalink)
    Looking for info on how many fills are included in these various packs. Especially the rock and roll one. Any info appreciated.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

SONAR Platinum 64bit, Windows  10 Pro 64bit, Polywell Core i7 x98 3.33GHz, 24GB RAM
    cclarry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/06/27 20:55:46 (permalink)
    Yes you can buy the Custom Pack or the XL as many times as you want,
    just NOT from XLN....

TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/06/27 21:24:24 (permalink)
    reberclark
    Looking for info on how many fills are included in these various packs. Especially the rock and roll one. Any info appreciated.

The number of fills for the MIDI packs I own that have fills:

American Indie: 12
    American Rock: 14
    Ballad Grooves: 18
    Funk Beats 1: 20
    Funk Beats 2: 42
    Funk'd Up: 16
    Modern Jazz Grooves (Contemporary): 53
    Modern Jazz Grooves (Modern): 57
    Reggae: 34
    Rock 'n Roll: 56

Note that you can download the MIDI files for the packs that you own for a hidden page on the XLN website:

https://www.xlnaudio.com/myaccount-myproducts/offline

If you are logged in to your account, you can just add "/offline" to the URL and it will take you there.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    abacab
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/06/27 22:16:11 (permalink)
    To add a few more to the list ...

Heavy Beats and Songs: 31
    Alternative Rock: 43
    Percussion Beats: 21

Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/06/30 16:47:51 (permalink)
    My Midi Packs are: (not listing the fills)
    About Funky Beats 1
    Ballard Grooves
    HIP HOP 
    Dry Beats and Songs
    Alternative Rock
    Modern Soul and  R&B
    Beats Heavy Beats & Songs

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Marshall
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 602
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/06/30 17:22:31 (permalink)
    I'm basically rock orientated, but I love the reggae pack too. Loads of variety as well as what I would call reggae / rock crossover. (And as an aside, It goes really well with the EZ keys reggae pack!)
    LOSTinSWIRL
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/07/01 00:03:43 (permalink)
    I like the Metal and United Heavy ones, but that is my musical taste. I almost have them all. Got to collect them all. 
    Tmidiman
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs? 2017/11/28 20:01:38 (permalink)
    Thanks, this is great information!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1