Best Electronic Drum Kit??

Author
The_Kiss
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
2008/09/09 22:43:36 (permalink)

Best Electronic Drum Kit??

Hey everyone what’s up? I was just wondering what you guys thought was the best electronic drum kit on the market right now?

I know that each person will have his own perspective about which one is the “best” but let’s be objective here. I want to spend less than $1000 on this purchase and if need be, I’m willing to probably spend a couple hundred more.

I’m currently looking at products from both Yamaha and Roland and I’ve always enjoyed Yamaha products in the past.

The reason why I’m thinking about getting something like this is that I’m getting really annoyed from using trigger pads and my keyboard for drum sounds. I’d also love to learn the drums and I figured that an electron kit would be the best choice since I wouldn’t have to worry about bugging my roommates.

I would prefer something that would allow me to assign any type of drum sample or custom sample possible. For example, if I could assign the sound of a door slamming as my kick drum or the sound of a train for one of my toms. You know, stuff like that.

I’d also like to use it as a controller from where I could just upload a drum kit in Sonar 7 PE and use my electronic kit to play it all. Well, if you happen to have any more questions then please feel free to let me know.

Thanks!!

18 Replies Related Threads

Mychael W White
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/10 00:26:55 (permalink)
    maybe this will help........

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1467022

"eye-ya-ka-du-ya-by-eye-ya"

Quad Q6600-XP Pro32-3Gb-160Gb-500Gb-500Gb HD-2X22 LG-DVI-Monitors-Firepod-Sonar 8.02-BCF2000
    Line6 XTLive- Line 6 TonePort UX2- V-Amp2-Line 6 Variax Guitar +35 other various guitars and basses
    pistolpete_1980
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/10 08:23:12 (permalink)
    Do not buy any drum set that you've been told! I was waiting for years for an affordable trigger only drumset geared towards VST's like BFD and DFH. I heard about the R.E.T. drumset, but they are waay out of my price range.

Like you, I didnt want to spend anymore then 1000, well I just found out a couple weeks ago such a kit will be released in a couple weeks. It's called the Alesis USB drum Pro http://alesis.com/usbprodrumkit

IT comes with The Alesis Trigger IO, All pieces are dual zone, the cymbols are chokable. It's made out of actual drum parts(real drumheads, real cymbols, and they are damped) and its only 699!

I am so excited I've been waiting for years for something like this!

Here's a couple demo videos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-1qKr5roAM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUveZXfhqBc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVA6DyOJbA

Let me know what you think!

ORIGINAL: The_Kiss

Hey everyone what’s up? I was just wondering what you guys thought was the best electronic drum kit on the market right now?

I know that each person will have his own perspective about which one is the “best” but let’s be objective here. I want to spend less than $1000 on this purchase and if need be, I’m willing to probably spend a couple hundred more.

I’m currently looking at products from both Yamaha and Roland and I’ve always enjoyed Yamaha products in the past.

The reason why I’m thinking about getting something like this is that I’m getting really annoyed from using trigger pads and my keyboard for drum sounds. I’d also love to learn the drums and I figured that an electron kit would be the best choice since I wouldn’t have to worry about bugging my roommates.

I would prefer something that would allow me to assign any type of drum sample or custom sample possible. For example, if I could assign the sound of a door slamming as my kick drum or the sound of a train for one of my toms. You know, stuff like that.

I’d also like to use it as a controller from where I could just upload a drum kit in Sonar 7 PE and use my electronic kit to play it all. Well, if you happen to have any more questions then please feel free to let me know.

Thanks!!

post edited by pistolpete_1980 - 2008/09/10 08:44:54
    tcbetka
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/10 08:23:26 (permalink)
    I owned a Roland TD-20 a few years back, because I couldn't play my Gretsch acoustic kit where I lived. Although it didn't compare to the Gretsch, it was unbelievable. The pads felt very life-like, and the control unit ("brain") on the Roland units is incredible. The TD-20 is the top of the line in the Roland stable...at least it was...but it's well worth the price if you can swing it. Maybe you can find one hardly used on ebay? I paid $5200 for mine I think, and sold it 18 months later for about $4700. We moved, and I was once again able to play my Gretsch kit, with all the Zildjian cymbals and other hardware I have.

So I recommend Roland hands down, if you can afford the cost. I know the TD-12 is a nice kit as well--the little brother of the TD-20, at about $1500 less as I recall.

TB

Gretsch drums
    Mackie 1640 Onyx, Firewire I/O
    Audix mics
    Sonar 8.5 PE / Pro Tools LE 7.4
    M-audio MobilePre USB / M-box 2
    Windows XP / Q9450 2.66 GHz Quad / Abit mobo / 4GB RAM
    Seagate 1000, 500, 250, 80 & 80 GB hard drives
    Glyph 120GB firewire drive
    Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/10 10:10:47 (permalink)
    I'm also just looking at getting an electronic kit. Where I am I have to buy all my stuff from Sweetwater as they are about the only company that will ship here - also they have been very good in the past with warranty etc and generally I find them excellent.
    However I asked about the Alesis kit (which they have shown on their website) and I was told that they didn't really know when this might become available as Alesis kept putting back the release date.
    Have you heard anything about a firm release date?
    If the Alesis was not going to be available, I was looking at the Roland V Drums, TD-3SW. Anyone got a view on this kit?
    Cheers
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

The_Kiss
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/10 14:04:00 (permalink)
    Pistolpete, I was checking out those videos you linked me to and I actually found another video that deserves attention. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBbnMbIxKiE&feature=related

And their website is this:

http://www.fieldelectronicdrums.com/drums.html

I haven't checked around for their pricing but it looks pretty cool. Let me know what you think and once again thanks to everyone for the great information so far!

UPDATE: Okay nevermid, they're very pricey and I don't want to spend that much for what I'm looking for. Especially after that Alesis product you mentioned. Here's their pricing:

http://www.fieldelectronicdrums.com/purchase.html
    post edited by The_Kiss - 2008/09/10 14:06:14
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/10 16:33:52 (permalink)
    try the Hi hat before you buy any elctronic drum kit

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    The_Kiss
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/10 17:47:34 (permalink)
    Alright so I called Alesis earlier today with some questions I had and here's what the guy told me:

1) Is this kit expandable? For example, can I eventually have it look like the Roland TD-20 with all those extra toms and cymbals?

Yes. And at a mucher lower price point as well.

2) Is it possible to use double bass with this?

Yes. He mentioned just using a double bass pedal but I would much rather have two kick drums instead. I forgot to ask him about the two kick drum thing but I'm sure it's possible since the trigger I/O has several input/output options.

3) Is it possible to put other drum heads from different manufacturers on this kit?

Yes. And if I need to replace any of the heads or cymbals I can also do this through Alesis.

4) Sweetwater.com mentions that this kit uses USB 1.1, if I plug this in through my 2.0 port will there be any problems and will I suffer in sound quality?

No. If you plug in the 1.1 cable through a 2.0 port the port will automatically detect the 1.1 technology and use that instead. (I don't really like this idea but I'm not complaining since I'm sure they'll eventually come out with a 2.O interface.)

5) Can I move the arrangement of the toms and cymbals to better suit my needs? For example, in the pictures I've seen so far the snare drum seems to be too close to the hi-hat. So would I be able to move it more towards the center?

Yes. You can arrange the set-up in any which way you like.

6) Warranty information?

1 year manufacturer's warranty for parts and labor.

Thanks again for the great recommendation Pistolpete, I think we have a winner on our hands!!
    pistolpete_1980
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/10 21:01:35 (permalink)
    Definatly glad I could Help,

This Topic has always been an issue when talking about electronic drumkits interfacing with VST's. Seems like you always had to sacrifice something if you werent willing to thousands of dollars for a td20 or something of that calibre..

But like you said this kit is expandable, everthing in the module is dual zone, chokable, also it has the feel of a real drumset, and real cymbals.

Hey kiss if your serious about ordering this kit, Pm me. I always order from a company and they always give me a discount since I purchase from them. I find sweetwater to never budge on pricing(due to their support) Maybe we can get a discount if we order 2 at the same time.

If anyone else is interested in trying to work out a group deal PM me, we'll see if we can work something out!

ORIGINAL: The_Kiss

Alright so I called Alesis earlier today with some questions I had and here's what the guy told me:

1) Is this kit expandable? For example, can I eventually have it look like the Roland TD-20 with all those extra toms and cymbals?

Yes. And at a mucher lower price point as well.

2) Is it possible to use double bass with this?

Yes. He mentioned just using a double bass pedal but I would much rather have two kick drums instead. I forgot to ask him about the two kick drum thing but I'm sure it's possible since the trigger I/O has several input/output options.

3) Is it possible to put other drum heads from different manufacturers on this kit?

Yes. And if I need to replace any of the heads or cymbals I can also do this through Alesis.

4) Sweetwater.com mentions that this kit uses USB 1.1, if I plug this in through my 2.0 port will there be any problems and will I suffer in sound quality?

No. If you plug in the 1.1 cable through a 2.0 port the port will automatically detect the 1.1 technology and use that instead. (I don't really like this idea but I'm not complaining since I'm sure they'll eventually come out with a 2.O interface.)

5) Can I move the arrangement of the toms and cymbals to better suit my needs? For example, in the pictures I've seen so far the snare drum seems to be too close to the hi-hat. So would I be able to move it more towards the center?

Yes. You can arrange the set-up in any which way you like.

6) Warranty information?

1 year manufacturer's warranty for parts and labor.

Thanks again for the great recommendation Pistolpete, I think we have a winner on our hands!!

auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/10 21:47:32 (permalink)
    Please keep us all posted on this kit if you get one. Would really like do know how it works out for you.

This is exactly what I need....

I am not a drummer, but I want to have this so I can have my drummer buddies come over and lay down tracks. I do not want to spend 3 or 4 K for hart or roland.

Use it to trigger BFD2 - sounds ideal,

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    DonaldDuck
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/11 03:07:12 (permalink)
    Your PM is full, so I thought I would post my reply about the Yamaha kit..

It's not that I don't like all Yamaha kits; it's that I don't like that particular one. I guess I'm used to REAL drums, so I do have strict standards.

When I hit a real hihat at approximately the same place using the same velocity, the volume and tone of the sound is pretty much the same. The Yamaha kit made significantly different hihat sounds through the headphones after hitting in about the same spot. Although this wasn't my MAJOR problem. I don't record the audio from the electronic kits, but I used it to trigger my Midi EZdrummer and Addictive Drummer drumsampler software packages. Even on those, it still made different drum sounds. So, it must have some issue with the trigger or brains.

My Yamaha unit could have been bad.. I don't know. I had the same problem on the cymbals, but hihat was the biggest problem... but i do use lots of hihat on nearly every song. I only played another kind (high end roland) and it was significantly better than the Yamaha set. If you get a chance to play the Yamaha at a local store, you may love it. Personally, I didn't. I plan to get a roland at christmas time!

-D
    The_Kiss
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/11 17:03:00 (permalink)
    UPDATE:

Okay so I went ahead and contacted the Alesis tech support team again earlier today with some questions I forgot to ask them yesterday. Here’s what I found out:

1) Are there any pedals included with this kit?

Yes. There’s a hi-hat pedal but no bass drum pedal. The hi-hat pedal is not velocity sensitive and it’s recommended that you purchase one.

2) Tom and snare drum sizes? Are there any custom options? For example, if I wanted all 10 inch toms and snare drums, would this be possible?

All drum sizes are 8 inches. There are no custom options. But you can put any brand of 8 inch drum head on this set.

3) I read a post online where it said that hitting the cymbals faster than 16th note speeds caused latency and drop outs, is this true?

No. The Trigger I/O system is very reliable and something like this would depend mainly on the individual’s recording set-up.

Alright guys. Well that’s enough for now. If you have any questions of your own then you may contact Alesis as well. Here’s the number for United States support:

1-401-658-5760

C ya!
    bobr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/11 18:11:31 (permalink)
    I am not a drummer, but I want to have this so I can have my drummer buddies come over and lay down tracks. I do not want to spend 3 or 4 K for hart or roland.

Priced between this Alesis and the 3 & 4 K setups is the Alternate Mode TrapKat. I added one to my studio and it is a great addition. I use mine to trigger EZ Drummer or any other midi sounds I want to trigger with it.

The Alesis looks great for the money and expandable too.

Take care,

Bob
    The_Kiss
    RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2008/09/12 02:44:19 (permalink)
    Now there's one thing I've actually overlooked when comparing different companies and their electronic drumkits...manufacturer's warranty.

I mentioned earlier that Alesis provides a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. But the thing is, several other companies offer either a lifetime warranty or limited lifetime warranty.

I'm the type of guy who thinks long-term on purchases like this and I'm considering paying a little extra for a kit if it'll guarantee me a better warranty. Know what I mean? The idea that I can play to my heart's content is what really appeals to me. That and of course the quality of the kit.

It's getting late over here but tomorrow I'll do some more research on this and see where it takes me. Like always, I'll be sure to share my findings with you all. Good night.

**By the way, have any of you heard of a company called DAUZ? I've been in contact with them once before but I didn't really look into them. Any ideas on the quality of this company and their kits?
    post edited by The_Kiss - 2008/09/12 02:49:05
    flow_2015
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2017/08/11 23:03:38 (permalink)
    I noticed this is an outdated thread. Nevertheless this can be helpful to someone as it's updated to this year. 
    We made buying guide best electronic drum sets for different price points  the me know what you think. 

Hope that helps!

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2017/08/12 11:05:03 (permalink)
    Looks like a SPAM post, to me.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    gbowling
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 315
    Re: RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2017/08/12 11:53:55 (permalink)
    Best drum brain on the market is the 2box. http://www.2box.se/

gabo

Beatmodo
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2017/08/18 17:27:51 (permalink)
    Dude. Thanks for all the great info and for posting your convo with Alesis. Very helpful.
    Uneven634
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: RE: Best Electronic Drum Kit?? 2017/08/19 17:53:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I still have to make up my mind.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1