Best MIDI controller for VST parameters?

Author
perryade
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2015/03/22 19:29:05 (permalink)

Best MIDI controller for VST parameters?

Hey, I can't find many people talking about this online strangely. I'm sick of using a mouse to control parameters in synths so am looking for some sort of MIDI controller. The only experience I have with MIDI is a keyboard and hand drawing envelopes on tracks. You can really feel the passion and emotion in those mouse clicks. ¬_¬

I've been looking at the Akai LPD8, the Behringer BCR2000 and the Akai MPK Mini Mk2. I have no idea which would be best or whether they even do what I'm looking for. An example of what I want to do is, in Dreamstation, I'd like to be able to just control all the knobs from the controller while playing on the keyboard or playing back a track or loop.

I really like the idea of the drum pads on both the Akai products but I don't know whether the knobs would do what I want and whether they'd work with VSTs in Sonar? I also just read that the Behringer can be assigned to a VST but it won't remember your settings after you close the VST. This sounds strange to me so I don't know if that's true or if that user was a bumbling idiot.

Anyway I'm babbling. If anyone has any advice or help I'd appreciate it very much. Oh and it would need to be USB since I'm already using the only MIDI input on my recording interface.

Thanks!

11 Replies Related Threads

TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: Best MIDI controller for VST parameters? 2015/03/22 21:20:37 (permalink)
    How much do you want to spend? There are a lot of options spanning from $100 to $1000 to $5000.

Here's some options:
    http://www.jlcooper.com/_php/category.php?cat=controllers
    http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xonek1/
    http://us.novationmusic.com/midi-controllers-digital-dj/launch-control-xl
    http://www.faderfox.de/pc4.html
    http://www.faderfox.de/sc4.html
    Lots more here: http://controllers.cc/
    post edited by TerraSin - 2015/03/22 21:35:42
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: Best MIDI controller for VST parameters? 2015/03/22 21:26:06 (permalink)
    There are some nice solutions over in the DEEP end of the pool, but if you are budget challenged it's a bit of a mess.

My first choice would probably be the Novation SL family - if they'd been around when I started messing with this stuff. I currently use an NI Kore2 interface (8 knobs and 8 buttons is a lot more usable than I would have guessed), and a pair of (ancient) JLCooper MIDIFader boxes when I want to get really fancy. I also use a StudioMix for 8 moving faders, and a Lexicon MRC for some additional controls. It's a huge ugly mess!

When I finally get all the higher priority purchases handled I will look again. Someone I know (can't remember who) just found a pretty cool solution - I'll post back if I can find it!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    perryade
    Re: Best MIDI controller for VST parameters? 2015/03/23 08:31:09 (permalink)
    TerraSin: Thanks for those links, I'll take a look. I wasn't going to go above the Behringer when it comes to price. I'm willing to go up to $250 I guess if it makes a difference in quality. I know it isn't much at all.

wst3: Sounds like an awesome ugly mess. Thanks, let me know if you find out.

So how IS the Behringer? Do you (or anyone on here) have experience with it or the Akais? I've read more than once that they're (Behringer) cheaply built but I also read that there are no other similar alternatives at that price. I'm after knobs more than faders, I don't mind using the mouse for levels when recording. I guess this is more about live playing, experimenting and then recording. (What I usually do is record some sort of melody with the keys and if it's good enough, loop it and play with parameters, THEN draw in envelopes so it's time consuming, I just need a more organic and quick feel) If something has faders then that would be great but they aren't essential.

I'm THINKING of getting into DJing so might need the faders for that, and would love to get into sampling, drum loops and that kind of thing but for now it's about easy access to those parameters in synths and the drums pads could be good as long as they're touch sensitive. I can increase my budget at a push.

Part of the problem is my lack of knowledge on this subject.
    post edited by perryade - 2015/03/23 08:49:35
    perryade
    Re: Best MIDI controller for VST parameters? 2015/03/23 08:41:47 (permalink)
    The Xone:K1 looks very cool. A lot of knobs and small. I assume that they can all be assigned to whatever I want in Sonar? I'm a know nothing when it comes to this stuff. Am I right in assuming that those colored buttons are used for playing samples or can they be assigned to anything too?

That PC4 looks awesome too, and come to think of it the SC4 as well. I love (what I've seen so far of) sequencers. Damn, I'm going to end up buying all of these aren't I? I really miss having a mod and pitch wheel too. I part exchanged my old Yamaha keyboard for an Arius. It's more realistic but it has almost no features, just piano like keys and MIDI out.

One of the cool features I liked about the Akai is the joystick, I assume that can be used like a Kaoss pad? Man, I'm all over the place, I really am ignorant when it comes to MIDI.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Best MIDI controller for VST parameters? 2015/03/23 08:51:39 (permalink)
    I replaced my controller over a year ago with a Roland A-300. It was designed back in the days when Roland and Cakewalk were still married, and has an ACT button on it. My previous controller was not useful for controlling parameters, but the ACT button "just worked" when I first pushed it which was neat. I have the A-300 set off to the right, so really do not use these personally, but as far as "Plug and Play" with SONAR, that series is worth looking at. There is the A-300, A-500, and A-800... I "think" the only difference is key count.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    perryade
    Re: Best MIDI controller for VST parameters? 2015/03/23 09:04:48 (permalink)
    mettelus
    I replaced my controller over a year ago with a Roland A-300. It was designed back in the days when Roland and Cakewalk were still married, and has an ACT button on it. My previous controller was not useful for controlling parameters, but the ACT button "just worked" when I first pushed it which was neat. I have the A-300 set off to the right, so really do not use these personally, but as far as "Plug and Play" with SONAR, that series is worth looking at. There is the A-300, A-500, and A-800... I "think" the only difference is key count.

The A-300 looks great, perfect price, just curious, what are the A1-A8 buttons for? Also what is ACT?
    mettelus
    Re: Best MIDI controller for VST parameters? 2015/03/23 09:22:59 (permalink)
    The A1-A8 buttons are velocity-sensitive pads (primarily used for drums). To be honest, the reason I initially chose the A-300 is because it has 7 more keys than its competitors (which truly do come in handy for someone like me who enters 99% of my MIDI material using only my right hand).

ACT is basically what you were asking in the OP... it is active controller mapping into SONAR. The beauty with that Roland series is that they are already integrated (hence the ACT button). More info on ACT is here (or can Google "SONAR ACT features," etc.). The ACT button itself bypasses a lot of the "initial setup" hurdles on that linked page.

Edit: Another good resource to look at is the product page (the video on it is actually a Cakewalk video (still)).
    post edited by mettelus - 2015/03/23 09:37:14

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    perryade
    Re: Best MIDI controller for VST parameters? 2015/03/23 09:39:14 (permalink)
    mettelus
    The A1-A8 buttons are velocity-sensitive pads (primarily used for drums). To be honest, the reason I initially chose the A-300 is because it has 7 more keys than its competitors (which truly do come in handy for someone like me who enters 99% of my MIDI material using only my right hand).

ACT is basically what you were asking in the OP... it is active controller mapping into SONAR. The beauty with that Roland series is that they are already integrated (hence the ACT button). More info on ACT is here (or can Google "SONAR ACT features," etc.). The ACT button itself bypasses a lot of the "initial setup" hurdles on that linked page.

Thanks! That looks perfect! It has everything I want on it. Just curious though, if I run out of knobs can the faders be used in the same way as them? I read that with MIDI you can assign anything to anything if you want to, is that true? I'll be getting the 300 in the next few days, just watched the video on the official site and it looks so cool.

Keys aren't that important to me but I'm sure they'll come in handy. (Is that a pun?)
    mettelus
    Re: Best MIDI controller for VST parameters? 2015/03/23 09:49:42 (permalink)
    I am not sure of the answer to that one, but hopefully someone can chime in to confirm. I believe you can make assignments via "MIDI learn" to anything you choose (one is simply rotary versus linear, but the data output is otherwise similar). Mine is set where the faders/touchpads are just out of reach, so I primarily use mine for note input.

perryade
    Re: Best MIDI controller for VST parameters? 2015/03/23 09:54:25 (permalink)
    mettelus
    I am not sure of the answer to that one, but hopefully someone can chime in to confirm. I believe you can make assignments via "MIDI learn" to anything you choose. Mine is set where the faders/touchpads are just out of reach, so I primarily use mine for note input.

Okay, thanks for the recommending the Roland, I can't wait for it to arrive. Just one more question... :p So with "MIDI learn" do you just click what knob you want to control on screen in the VST and then turn the knob you want on the controller and then it assigns it? To be honest I'm a little intimidated that I won't be able to set it up properly when I get it.
    mettelus
    Re: Best MIDI controller for VST parameters? 2015/03/23 10:00:22 (permalink)
    Yes, that is pretty much how it works. You put an assignable parameter into "MIDI learn" mode, and it will "connect" to the first MIDI input it receives.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1