Helpful ReplyBest Online Storage?

Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2018/11/21 16:27:28 (permalink)

Best Online Storage?

I'm sure there are at least a few guys here who use online (cloud) storage for music project backups and/or other things.  I'm considering cloud backup for my Cakewalk projects.  I checked out IDrive so far, but I'd like to hear what some of you think about what you may be using for the same thing.  I need price info, ease of use, basically anything you can tell me.  Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
John B

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/21 19:52:27 (permalink)
For large projects/files, Cloud based backup is tedious.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
msmcleod
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/21 20:39:45 (permalink)
Personally I use Mega.com.

I've got a couple of batch files: copyToMega.bat and copyFromMega.bat, which are pretty self explanitory... but they copy everything to/from my cakewalk projects, audio, picture & templates directories.

It takes an hour or so for the first upload, but after that it takes a few seconds - a minute at the most.

BTW - The reason I have the batch files, is so that Mega.com isn't monitoring/uploading files from any directories that Cakewalk could be using. This is a sure way to crash Cakewalk.

When I'm finished a session, I just double-click on the shortcut to copyToMega.bat

If I then move to my laptop, I can run copyFromMega.bat and all my projects get copied over.

I've also tried OneDrive, which is okay but can be a pain to setup if you're using more than one machine... it's far too easy for them to start overwriting each others' stuff.

Prices change all the time for these services, so you'll need to check for good deals etc.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
retired_account
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/21 20:44:30 (permalink)
Jim is correct.

Just so happens I got a pcloud BF email today-
https://www.pcloud.com/bl...ay%202018%20-%20Ribbon
I have a 1TB lifetime account on zoolz, around $150 but I still also use ext. hardrives for os & project backup.
post edited by Hidden_Symmetry - 2018/11/21 22:59:18
Johnbee58
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/21 21:31:05 (permalink)
Let me be clear-I DO NOT WANT AUTOMATIC BACKUP!

I want to pick and choose what and when I upload anything to or from the cloud.
I have 5 gb free on OneDrive which came with the last PC I bought earlier this year.  I didn't want to upload anything to it and I keep on getting notifications that my OneDrive if full!  So, who cares?  I didn't pick or want anything backed up there and I don't even know what's on it.  I just know it's full.  If I cannot select what I want to upload or download or backup then Jim's right.  It's not for me.  I want it to work for me like my USB Passport drive does. When I'm done with a session for the day, I plug in my Passport, copy/paste the project file I was just working on and eject it and call it a day.  I just bought a 2 TB Passport drive so it's not space I'm lacking.  I'm mainly concerned about losing this data if the house burns down or gets hit by a tornado or something like that.  IOW-I'd like to store my stuff "off site".
It has to be my way or the highway though.  Are you telling me that these cloud storage services are difficult to work with?

JB

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/21 22:41:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/11/21 22:50:41

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/21 22:50:11 (permalink)
Another easy off-site solution is to make a copy on a backup drive, and store it at the office, or at a friend or relative's house.

I use Dropbox for my offsite files.  I don't back up a lot of stuff online (use local USB drives for most), just drop a few files into my Dropbox folder on my Windows explorer on demand, and only those files get synced with my Dropbox cloud account.

I can set up any other devices I have to sync with specified Dropbox folders in my online account, so I can access the desired files I need from other devices that I have signed into Dropbox with.

So far I am using the free Dropbox account, which offers 2GB storage.  It is $8.25 month for upgrade to a Plus account with 1TB storage.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
haydn12
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 322
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/22 01:14:08 (permalink)
I use OneDrive for backups for Office files which gives 1TB of storage per user.  I use an external hard drive for backing up my projects.  I burn them to DVD or Blu-Ray discs when projects are completed.

BTW, you can get Office 365 for 5 users plus 1 TB OneDrive storage for each user for $100 per year.  This includes all updates of Office 365.

Jim
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/22 04:40:50 (permalink)
Upload bandwidth is another consideration, since most people do not have extremely high bandwidth, so getting files to/from a 5TB storage is a lot longer than most think (http://www.speedtest.net/ is a good site to check upload speed). My Comcast has a download of roughly 9MB/s and upload of 1MB/s (that site is in bits/sec, not bytes/sec), so the upload is roughly 1388 hours, and download of 154 hours. Neither convenient nor practical.

The reality is that 4+ TB externals are relatively cheap and you can use xcopy to backup quickly (for data files only), and image on them (for software restoration). For most users, this is a far better solution. Xcopy takes less than 10 seconds daily, and images roughly 10 minutes (monthly for me). I use a 128GB flash drive to be-bop xcopies between machines daily.

Be very wary of "scare tactic" marketing... the "I'm mainly concerned about losing this data if the house burns down or gets hit by a tornado or something like that." If that would occur and you lost EVERYTHING, I really doubt (and would very much hope) that backup files are going to be incredibly low on your list of priorities. I highly doubt anyone in a tent-farm in CA is wandering around mumbling "Man, I lost all of my cwp files!!" If houses burned down or got hit by tornadoes often, insurance companies wouldn't be rolling in money.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Johnbee58
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/22 14:37:54 (permalink)
mettelus

Be very wary of "scare tactic" marketing... the "I'm mainly concerned about losing this data if the house burns down or gets hit by a tornado or something like that." If that would occur and you lost EVERYTHING, I really doubt (and would very much hope) that backup files are going to be incredibly low on your list of priorities. I highly doubt anyone in a tent-farm in CA is wandering around mumbling "Man, I lost all of my cwp files!!" If houses burned down or got hit by tornadoes often, insurance companies wouldn't be rolling in money.

Please don't insult my intelligence.  In a catastrophe of course the data loss would not even be on my list of priorities at the time but hopefully and eventually life goes on and things are rebuilt and repaired and we go with life.  May take a few months or a few years but we try to all get back to where we were before the disaster.  It might even eventually get back to the point where I could resume making music.  It's a possibility.  If I don't back up the data now it would be gone forever in a situation like that.

JB

msmcleod
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/23 14:16:46 (permalink)
Johnbee58
mettelus

Please don't insult my intelligence.  In a catastrophe of course the data loss would not even be on my list of priorities at the time but hopefully and eventually life goes on and things are rebuilt and repaired and we go with life.  May take a few months or a few years but we try to all get back to where we were before the disaster.  It might even eventually get back to the point where I could resume making music.  It's a possibility.  If I don't back up the data now it would be gone forever in a situation like that.

JB

A couple of years ago we had a power brown-out, which was a total nightmare.

Power loss is fine, everything switches off. If you're unlucky, a file or two gets corrupted.

The brown-out managed to trash 3 spin-drives and an SSD. The voltage at the socket was reading a little over 100V (where it should have been 240V).

I lost a LOT of data that day, thankfully not much that I didn't have archived on DVD.

What it did teach me is:

1. Backing up to a NAS (or anything that is normally plugged in) is not the best plan. Back it up to a removable disk.
2. A UPS is a really good investment, but it probably wouldn't protect me from a lightning strike power surge.
3. Cloud backup is good for peace of mind, but it's slow and unless you're doing incremental backups, backups to a removable disk should always be done as well.

My current backup strategy is to image my disks once a month on to removable disks, and do backups of my projects to cloud storage as and when I create them.

This way I can restore my complete DAW system to a new set of disks in around 2-3 hours... the image backup get's the bulk of the system there, and the cloud sync does the most recent stuff.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
Johnbee58
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/23 16:44:57 (permalink)
msmcleod

A couple of years ago we had a power brown-out, which was a total nightmare.

Power loss is fine, everything switches off. If you're unlucky, a file or two gets corrupted.

The brown-out managed to trash 3 spin-drives and an SSD. The voltage at the socket was reading a little over 100V (where it should have been 240V).

I lost a LOT of data that day, thankfully not much that I didn't have archived on DVD.

What it did teach me is:

1. Backing up to a NAS (or anything that is normally plugged in) is not the best plan. Back it up to a removable disk.
2. A UPS is a really good investment, but it probably wouldn't protect me from a lightning strike power surge.
3. Cloud backup is good for peace of mind, but it's slow and unless you're doing incremental backups, backups to a removable disk should always be done as well.

My current backup strategy is to image my disks once a month on to removable disks, and do backups of my projects to cloud storage as and when I create them.

This way I can restore my complete DAW system to a new set of disks in around 2-3 hours... the image backup get's the bulk of the system there, and the cloud sync does the most recent stuff.

I've heard from several people that a brown out can be more destructive on electronic equipment that just a plain power disruption.
I never (yet anyway) was unfortunate enough to experience a brown out and I hope I never do but  I would think it's probably not a good idea to record music or do anything that involves a PC on any very hot summer day even if you have air conditioning.  Thanks for the warning.

JB

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/23 18:51:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/11/24 01:19:20
A UPS would help in brownouts.  The UPS has voltage parameters (high and low) and when they exceed those parameters (on some UPS they are programmable) it will switch to battery backup and allow an "orderly" shutdown so no data is lost.  This assumes you have a UPS of the correct size.  It would have protected the instance of 240V sagging to 100V.

I have my PC and recording interface on UPS power.  This obviously doesn't help a guitar amp that is plugged into a separate AC outlet when a power problem arises.  But it does protect the PC and recording hardware.

I do local backups.  I'm not moving around to different locations for recording so I don't need cloud backups.  I back up, using Macrium Reflect, doing full drive (all partition) backups of the OS drive and the separate drive that has Sonar Projects.  I have two USB 3.0 drives that I use for backups (full disc images) and alternate the drive that I backup to.  Frequency depends on what I've done (e.g. a recording project) but at a minimum weekly.  I only do full backups, no incremental.  When I was working we tried incrementals on our file servers and found they can get confusing and it takes longer to restore since you have to first load the full backup and then the subsequent incrementals (however many that is) in correct sequence.  With only full backups, only one backup file is involved. 

I was a regional LAN/WAN Network and hardware help desk manager for a US Federal Government Agency until I retired (my area was everything west of the Mississippi River to the Rockies).  Our Agency Electrical Engineering department did a very in-depth study of AC power and problems at our field offices.  It was determined that most power outages were either the momentary outage or only lasted less than 10 minutes.  A UPS of proper power (wattage) capability will protect those types of outages.  Living in Florida I find that is most of my outages (momentary or short duration).  The only extended outage I had was because of a Hurricane. 

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Best Online Storage? 2018/11/24 12:20:38 (permalink)
I have a ups and usb drives for back up. I plug them in now and then and back up my latest projects. I have misplaced projects with this method.

Cloud storage is way way too expensive for the amount of data I need to back up.

Honestly, if it all disappeared I'd just shrug and go plug in and jam with friends.

Sand mandalla poured carefully into the creek.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1