Helpful ReplyBest Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound?

Author
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
2018/10/31 12:54:53 (permalink)

Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound?

It's clear to me I'm not going to get my studio built for another year, and it's depressing as hell.  A perfectly good 7 piece drum kit, all mic'd up with a perfectly good mixer ready to go...but no room to record them in.  I'm not going to sit around and do nothing, musically, so I'm going to have to use my electronic kit performances and upgrade the terrible soundfont I have been using for forever...

I see you guys talking about Superior Drummer, Session Drummer and etc...but I never really hear what I'd consider a modern, even djent, metal drum sound from anyone to know if they're what I need or not.  Looking for something with a tight snare, higher pitched but less "snares" in the sound, like a Danny Carey or Tomas Haake snare.  A kick drum with punch and depth, toms that sound like drums but have that deep thundery finish.  Cymbals and hats should be clean, not washy.  

Where in the world am I going to get that sound without mic'ing and eq'ing a real kit?  

Any help would be appreciated.  I realize there aren't a lot of metal fans running around here, but I'm confident you guys know what I'm going for here.  Thanks, in advance.

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/10/31 14:43:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2018/11/01 08:23:19
In both Superior Drummer & Session Drummer the drums are pre-treated, so you're limited to an extent as to how you can further treat the sound to get what you want.

Addictive Drums 2 on the other hand is just raw samples with the AD2 engine applying its effects afterwards.

Assuming they've sampled the drums of your choice, you should be able to get the sound you want by either altering the effects within AD2 itself, or routing the output to individual busses and using whatever 3rd party plugins you want.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/01 08:38:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2018/11/01 12:34:34
There are quite a few ways to tackle this, and there are samples all over. The ones that are pre-treated you may find frustrating, so raw samples into an FX chain may be the best route, but the sample player is another choice. With something like AD2, you can tailor both inside and outside the plugin, but AD2 won't let you import samples. Session Drummer, third-party players, or even Matrix View can be used to trigger samples, but you may find a preferred work flow just playing around.

Big thing (since this can be a lot of work) is to save your "kit" as a track template as you build it up. There is no "quick and dirty" solution to tailoring a kit (some third-party stuff is rather close though), and you will want to be able to recall it for future use after doing all of that work (you can put the kit into a folder and save the entire folder as a track template).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Voda La Void
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/01 12:34:30 (permalink)
Thanks fellas.  I see what you mean about pre-treated samples vs raw samples.  I was looking at Superior Drummer 3 and was incredibly impressed with the interface filtering and sound shaping qualities, including tuning up and tuning down individual drums, that's pretty cool.  Seems like you could really cobble together a fairly unique kit.  But...wow, 400 bucks.  Ouch.  I can't spend that much.  

AD2 is looking really good.  I have some videos stacked up in Youtube on AD2 I'm going to go through today and see what kind of samples they have, see what's possible.  AD2 XLN is looking really interesting.

Mettelus, saving the "kit" is a pretty big deal.  I won't lie, I've been working with MIDI for a couple of decades now, and I still struggle to understand all the routing and mapping, and what those words even mean sometimes.  It's a love-hate relationship. The track template seems like the way to go, once all that work is done.  Is that supported in Sonar X1?  I can't get Cakewalk by Bandlab as I have no internet connection from that computer and never will.  

Anyway, thanks for the replies, I'm going to go check this out now.  

msmcleod
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/01 13:06:48 (permalink)
If you're considering using your own samples, be extra careful to read the "small print" on any drums VSTi that claims to support them.

There's two features that most drum vsti's have using their internal samples:
1. They use samples that are sampled at different velocities (i.e. multisamples), so you get a realistic timbre change depending on how hard you hit the drum.
2. They use several different multisamples of the above, and choose them either in a round-robin or random way. In other words they'll sample each drum say 2 or 3 times at each velocity, so if you play the same drum at the same velocity twice, you'll actually get two slightly different samples.

None of the drum vsti's I've seen support the above for IMPORTED samples. They just support one sample at one velocity setting. I've not done an extensive test of all the available drum vsti's though.

So if you are using samples of your own kit, going the soundfont (or sfz, or Kontakt) is actually not a bad idea.

But anyway, it's just something to bear in mind.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
mettelus
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/01 13:14:56 (permalink)
Oof, was going to mention X3 or better in my post. IIRC, track templates were introduced in X3. Project templates are an alternative, but you cannot insert them, only start from them in X1.

CbB just needs the connection to activate, and you can download and transfer the file over, but is tricky (a few threads discuss this). Even tethering a cell to the computer would be worth the effort to put CbB on the machine IMHO. X1d is still carrying issues that got fixed/improved with X3e onward.

AD2 is pretty capable, and you can disable the internal effects to hear the raw samples. It is amazing how much you can manipulate an acoustic drum even with just the AD2 engine.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/01 16:17:33 (permalink)
You don't need track templates to save kits, since all drum samplers offer a way to do that through presets. Track templates are only needed when you have complex routing, e.g. individual MIDI and/or audio tracks for each kit piece or group of pieces.

Even without integrated DAW support for templates, you can still get pretty fancy with your audio routing entirely within Superior Drummer, because it includes a full-featured mixer. It also comes with a bunch of presets, although I can't address them because I've never actually used them. When I took a look at them, they seemed to be overly effected and designed to make a drum solo sound good rather than to fit into a mix.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/01 16:26:48 (permalink)
Voda,
I've got BFD3, and it has a LOT of adjustability. You have controls for pitch, snare amount, drum bleed, separate mic controls for top head and bottom head, etc, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm using the Sonic Reality Vinny Appice kit right now, and am really happy with it.
Voda La Void
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/02 20:05:54 (permalink)
mettelus
CbB just needs the connection to activate, and you can download and transfer the file over, but is tricky (a few threads discuss this). Even tethering a cell to the computer would be worth the effort to put CbB on the machine IMHO. X1d is still carrying issues that got fixed/improved with X3e onward.

Thank you, mettelus.  I'm going to search for those threads and see if I can do that.  I would really like CbB.  

bitflipper
You don't need track templates to save kits, since all drum samplers offer a way to do that through presets. Track templates are only needed when you have complex routing, e.g. individual MIDI and/or audio tracks for each kit piece or group of pieces.

I am on the fence about this.  In the past, I used to write or play my electronic kit into a single MIDI drum track. Spend hours playing with velocities and such.  20 years of that and that's what burned me out to the point I stopped even recording, dreading the drum production work. 

Seems like if I route pieces and groups of pieces to various tracks, then I could use my Bluejay Soundfont for toms, kick, hi-hats, some cymbals and rides...and then be able to use samples from some other source for the snare, maybe more cymbals and rides...and it wouldn't matter where the sample source was, I'd always end up with the same essential set of tracks with compression and EQ.  

Or is there a better way to approach this?

Voda La Void
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/02 20:10:53 (permalink)
Leadfoot
Voda,
I've got BFD3, and it has a LOT of adjustability. You have controls for pitch, snare amount, drum bleed, separate mic controls for top head and bottom head, etc, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm using the Sonic Reality Vinny Appice kit right now, and am really happy with it.

Hey thanks for the tip Lead...but that's as expensive as Superior Drummer 3, I think.  It's worth it, but I have no money for that.  All my money is going into the house we're building.  I love the top head, bottom head option as I have a thing for the top mic'd snare sound.  It would be interesting to hear a snare sound with the bottom head mic muted.  That's how I like mine when I'm mic'd up.  

msmcleod
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/03 02:56:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2018/11/05 16:31:17
Voda La Void
mettelus

Thank you, mettelus.  I'm going to search for those threads and see if I can do that.  I would really like CbB.  

bitflipper

I am on the fence about this.  In the past, I used to write or play my electronic kit into a single MIDI drum track. Spend hours playing with velocities and such.  20 years of that and that's what burned me out to the point I stopped even recording, dreading the drum production work. 

Seems like if I route pieces and groups of pieces to various tracks, then I could use my Bluejay Soundfont for toms, kick, hi-hats, some cymbals and rides...and then be able to use samples from some other source for the snare, maybe more cymbals and rides...and it wouldn't matter where the sample source was, I'd always end up with the same essential set of tracks with compression and EQ.  

Or is there a better way to approach this?

I used to use a CAL script to split the drums into separate tracks, i.e. Kick, Snare, HiHat, Toms & Overheads. This made it much easier to edit:

; clean up errors in sequence
(do
  (forEachEvent
    (if (== Event.Kind NOTE)
      (do
         (if (< Note.Vel 15)
          (do
            (delete)
          )
        )
      )
    )
  )
)

; remove repeated notes
(do
  (int noteTime 0)
  (int noteKey 0)
  (forEachEvent
    (do
      (if (== Event.Kind NOTE)
       (do
        (if (&& (== Event.Time noteTime) (== Note.Key noteKey))
          (do
            (delete)
            (= noteTime 0)
            (= noteKey 0)
          )
          (do
            (= noteTime Event.Time)
            (= noteKey Note.Key)
          )
        ) ; if
       ) ; do
      ) ; if
    ) ; do
  ) ; forEachEvent

; split drums into tracks

(int bassDrum1 36)
(int bassDrum2 35)
(int rimShot 37)
(int snare1 38)
(int snare2 40)
(int lowTom2 41)
(int lowTom1 43)
(int midTom2 45)
(int midTom1 47)
(int hiTom2 48)
(int hiTom1 50)
(int closedHat 42)
(int pedalHat 44)
(int openHat 46)
(int crash1 49)
(int ride1 51)
(int china 52)
(int ride2 53)
(int splash 55)
(int crash2 57)
(int ride3 59)
(int sourceTrack 0)
(int destTrack 0)
(getInt sourceTrack "Source Drum Track: " 1 255)
(-- sourceTrack)
(getInt destTrack "First Destination Drum Track: " 1 255)
(-- destTrack)
(int bassDrumTrack (+ destTrack 0))
(int snareTrack (+ destTrack 1))
(int tomsTrack (+ destTrack 2))
(int hatTrack (+ destTrack 3))
(int cymbalTrack (+ destTrack 4))
(int otherTrack (+ destTrack 5))

; ===============================
; Clear Other Tracks

(int curTrack bassDrumTrack)

(while (<= curTrack otherTrack)
  (do
    (TrackSelect 0 -1)
    (TrackSelect 1 curTrack)
    (forEachEvent (delete))
    (++ curTrack)
  )
)

; Name tracks

(TrackName "Bass Drum" bassDrumTrack)
(TrackName "Snare Drum" snareTrack)
(TrackName "Toms" tomsTrack)
(TrackName "HiHats" hatTrack)
(TrackName "Cymbals" cymbalTrack)
(TrackName "MiscDrums" otherTrack)

; Copy events to tracks

; bassDrum
(TrackSelect 0 -1)
(TrackSelect 1 sourceTrack)
(ResetFilter 0 TRUE)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE bassDrum2 bassDrum1)
(EditCopy From Thru TRUE TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE)
(EditPasteToTrack From 1 1 TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE bassDrumTrack)

; snare drum
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE rimShot snare1)
(EditPasteToTrack From 1 1 TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE snareTrack)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE snare2 snare2)
(EditPasteToTrack From 1 1 TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE snareTrack)
; Toms track

(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE lowTom1 lowTom1)
(EditPasteToTrack From 1 1 TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE tomsTrack)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE lowTom2 lowTom2)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE midTom1 midTom1)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE midTom2 midTom2)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE hiTom1 hiTom1)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE hiTom2 hiTom2)

; Hats track
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE closedHat closedHat)
(EditPasteToTrack From 1 1 TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE hatTrack)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE pedalHat pedalHat)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE openHat openHat)

; Cymbals track
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE crash1 crash1)
(EditPasteToTrack From 1 1 TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE cymbalTrack)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE crash2 crash2)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE ride1 ride1)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE ride2 ride2)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE ride3 ride3)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE splash splash)
(SetFilterRange 0 0 TRUE china china)

; Other Track
(ResetFilter 0 TRUE)
(EditCopy From Thru TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE)
(EditPasteToTrack From 1 1 TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE otherTrack)

; delete notes that are present in other tracks
(TrackSelect 0 -1)
(TrackSelect 1 otherTrack)
(forEachEvent
  (do
      (if (== Event.Kind NOTE)
        (do
           (if (== Note.Key bassDrum1) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key bassDrum2) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key rimShot) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key snare1) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key snare2) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key lowTom1) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key lowTom2) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key midTom1) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key midTom2) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key hiTom1) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key hiTom2) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key crash1) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key crash2) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key ride1) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key ride2) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key ride3) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key splash) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key china) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key closedHat) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key pedalHat) (delete))
           (if (== Note.Key openHat) (delete))
         ) ;do
       ) ; if
    ) ; do
  ) ; forEachEvent

) ; do

Mark McLeod
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/03 11:05:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2018/11/05 16:31:21
I don'y know about metal drums or any other drum machine than AD2, but a coupe of things come to mind that I know AD2 is good at.

Regards messing around with velocities. AD2 has a Beat Transform function for manipulating velocities that's extremely intuitive helps dial in the dynamics very well. It works with the internal midi parts, or you can just drag your own in from the midi track.  It breaks the kits into parts, so all snares are grouped together, hat's together etc. so you can adjust these against each other, and get the tone you are after through velcities. You can also push and pull the accents for  8ths and 16ths, ad et the velocity dynamic range as a whole. Then drag the part back ou to the midi track. It's really worth messing with to get potential it provides.

Additionally, if you then want to separate the parts out as yo can with the CAL suggestion above. Before dragging back out to the midi track, you can mute by group. and just rag out the unmuted group to the idi track. So it you want to use just a snare group from another sample player, you mute everything but the snare, nd drag the snare to one midi track, and then mute just the snare and drag that to another track. So easy to separate the parts up this way.

All though AD mainly replicates realistic kits, I know the DnB programmers use AD2 a lot, because of it's envelopes on the raw samples. The tools to change the shape of before and geting them punchy and short for fast playing, may transfer to metal programming well.

Kamikaze
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/03 11:06:53 (permalink)

Kamikaze
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/05 11:53:25 (permalink)
BTW, if you think of going for AD2, wait a few weeks, they are always in Black Friday sales, and you'll get over 50% with JRR, Audio Delux etc. The Custom pack will get you 3 kits, 3 kit pieces and 3 midi packs.

They have United Heavy, and Metal might be the most suited to you. Note sure which other would work well or metal, they have Black velvet too.

mettelus
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/05 14:08:33 (permalink)
+1, Black Friday is good to be patient for. Pretty much every VST will be on sale then, so getting research done prior will help greatly when the temptations hit full force.

Voda La Void
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/05 16:32:05 (permalink)
Awesome, thanks fellas.  Black Friday is just fine timing for me, too.  

I took mettelus' advice and found a thread by Cactus Music about getting CbB installed without an internet connection for the download part.  I got CbB installed on the DAW machine, demo mode, and tonight I'll put it online for a minute or so to get the activation done so I'll have full functionality. 

Then I can take some time to get to know CbB and play with the MIDI, find a good work flow solution and pull the trigger on something on Black Friday. 

AD2 is sounding really good, right now.  

Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/07 14:40:42 (permalink)
Voda, check KVR for AD2.....I got a lot of my adpaks from there.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/08 00:22:47 (permalink)
I picked up the United Heavy and Black Velvet kits with an XLN AD2 Custom kit holiday deal from JRR a while back, on a holiday special.

Those are some kickin' kits!!!  I think United Heavy is my favorite!  For the money, AD2 is the bang for the buck!  Got 3 kits for less than $64 total.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Voda La Void
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/08 16:15:49 (permalink)
abacab
I picked up the United Heavy and Black Velvet kits with an XLN AD2 Custom kit holiday deal from JRR a while back, on a holiday special.

Those are some kickin' kits!!!  I think United Heavy is my favorite!  For the money, AD2 is the bang for the buck!  Got 3 kits for less than $64 total.

Do they have snare sounds with that top mic sound?  I am not a fan of most snares on most music, I like that quickly decaying "snare" with a top mic kind of knocking punch.  

mettelus
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/08 16:40:46 (permalink)
A great deal of sound modification and FX are available inside the AD2 engine itself, but you can also route the outputs to separate tracks/busses if you want to add things not inside the engine. This is where Track templates come in handy (to save those routings and FX), but also be careful doing this... delay-based FX (especially reverbs) are generally best left at the end of audio FX chains, so if you put FX on busses it is better to use them there, rather than inside the AD2 engine (for the pieces you modify externally).

Before committing to kits from AD2, do a good run-through on the internal FX abilities. A lot of what you are looking for will be in there already.

AD2 also has a Metal ADpak. Be aware that the pre-made beats/sounds in those packs are not "all there is" to them (e.g., the Metal kit comes with drums/beats tailored to typical Metal usage, but you can tone them down dramatically as well, and similarly with other kits). The Black Velvet kit has gotten the most use on my end. In choosing "3 free ADpaks" (if you get that deal), it is better to diversify sounds as much as possible to get the biggest set of possibilities from them.

Kamikaze
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/10 13:25:59 (permalink)
Voda La Void

Do they have snare sounds with that top mic sound?  I am not a fan of most snares on most music, I like that quickly decaying "snare" with a top mic kind of knocking punch.  

With the snare there is  fader to balance between the top mic and bottom mic. And with the Kick a mic on the front and the beater. This is for all snares and Kicks.

You can then also adjust the decay further with the envelope.

abacab
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/10 23:55:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2018/11/13 16:43:27
Voda La Void

Where in the world am I going to get that sound without mic'ing and eq'ing a real kit? 

What I think XLN has done is to create a decent drum recording room in a box.  If you know how to mic and EQ a real kit, you should be able to geek out with the controls in AD2. 

And after you get the kit sounding the way you like using the XLN mixer and effects, you can route the audio over multi outs to your DAW and process the channels using plugin FX on separate audio tracks.

AD2 Drum Template:  https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013364/Setting-up-a-Drum-Map-for-Addictive-Drums-2-in-SONAR

Track 15 is your MIDI track, which you can use to input the MIDI data for Addictive Drums 2. You can also insert any beat directly from Addictive Drums 2 onto track 15 by clicking the “Beats” tab in the upper-right corner of Addictive Drums 2, highlighting any beat and dragging it to Track 15.

The first track is a Master Track, which outputs all the sound from Addictive Drums 2 onto one stereo track. Most of the subsequent tracks are mono outputs for each individual drum from Addictive Drums 2, allowing you to process the audio from each drum kit piece individually. For convenience, the Overhead, Room, and Bus tracks are all formatted as stereo as well (as indicated by (ST) on the respective tracks. Note that processing in SONAR on any of these tracks will not affect how the AD2 Master (ST) track will sound; only processing within Addictive Drums 2 will affect the way this track sounds. This provides for lots of versatility, as you can use this track for things like parallel processing, having a dry track to compare to, or even having it muted altogether so you can monitor the individual kit pieces only.

abacab
Re: Best Percussion Synth / Soundfont for Modern Metal Drum Sound? 2018/11/11 00:35:04 (permalink)
Here's an MP3 "Clyp" of a few patterns from the AD2 "Diabolic" MIDIpak, played with the AD2 "United Heavy" kit.  The preset kit used was "PCD Pwr To The Metal".

All of the kit settings were left as is, routed a single stereo output to the DAW, and no processing was used other than a quick mixdown through Ozone Elements using the "Full Master" preset (EQ and Maximizer), before exporting the demo to MP3.

I auditioned these patterns through a number of kits that I have, and I think this one is the best I have for this genre.  I don't have the Metal kit, and the MIDIpak patterns were from the previews in my copy of AD2. 

https://clyp.it/anjdvh2w

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1