Best Sound Card For My Needs?

Author
pistolpete_1980
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
2006/05/16 08:45:04 (permalink)

Best Sound Card For My Needs?

Hi,

I just purchased a new computer. (AMD 4400, 2GB RAM) Now I'm doing a bit of research before I purchase my sound card, I wanted to make sure I get the right card for my needs. In order of Priority I'm looking for.

1) 0 Latency for Plug-ins, I want to connect up to 3 midi controllers(E-drumkit, 2 Keyboards) using 3 seperate plug ins at the same time possibly, is there any card that can handle this?
2)Not to concerned with recording more then 3 Instruments at the same time.
3)Obviously high quality sound.

Thanks I would really appreciate the help!

14 Replies Related Threads

fragmentated
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/16 09:45:59 (permalink)
    don't know a lot about souncards so i'm sure other's will chime in. as for connecting multiple midi controllers i use aand recomend a midi patch bay. it is very flexible when it comes to routing the midi data - just the push of a button (or two). my patchbay gives me six ins and eight outs that can routed any which way and can also merge signals.

if you do a search i know there have been lots of questions/advice/opinions on audio cards.

peace - jeremy
    pistolpete_1980
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/16 09:55:22 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeremy,

Although I'm not to concerned about Midi Inputs for the sound card, cause as you said I can get a patch Bay.. However, what I am concerned about is Latency going up as more Midi controllers are accessing different Sound Modules.
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/16 10:08:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pistolpete_1980

Thanks Jeremy,

Although I'm not to concerned about Midi Inputs for the sound card, cause as you said I can get a patch Bay.. However, what I am concerned about is Latency going up as more Midi controllers are accessing different Sound Modules.

Since you are dealing with Midi only (from what I can tell), I would think that any latency you might encounter would be a result of your PC, and not your sound card.

Will you be doing any recording of audio sources at all (such as microphones, guitars, etc..) ?

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    pistolpete_1980
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/16 10:37:12 (permalink)
    Ok maybe I should clarify a little more. I am using Sonar 5. I will be recording Track that consist of Multiple Audio Tracks(Guitar, Bass, ect) While these Track play I will also have Soft synths Loaded such as (DKFH, Storm Drum, Stylus RMX) that will need to be triggered real time by either a E-drumkit, midi controller or both at the same time, while the track plays. Are there any sound cards that are Great for Low latency Midi Input, along with great sound quality ect.

Thanks
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/16 10:46:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pistolpete_1980

Ok maybe I should clarify a little more. I am using Sonar 5. I will be recording Track that consist of Multiple Audio Tracks(Guitar, Bass, ect) While these Track play I will also have Soft synths Loaded such as (DKFH, Storm Drum, Stylus RMX) that will need to be triggered real time by either a E-drumkit, midi controller or both at the same time, while the track plays. Are there any sound cards that are Great for Low latency Midi Input, along with great sound quality ect.

Thanks

There are so many cards out there that will do what you need.
    I would suggest looking on www.sweetwater.com under computer/audio and find an interface that has the proper I/O that you need. Then post a link and ask if it is a good interface.

I don't know how much you want to spend, but this one is excellent.

MOTU Ultralite

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/16 17:11:06 (permalink)

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

AlesisM51
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 623
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/16 17:29:10 (permalink)

Well as much as everyone complains about these threads you generally will get some good suggestions but if I were you I would start the thread by stating how much you want to spend. I've seen this kind of thread lead to the obvious conclusion: get something like a LynxII. The problem is that you may not be looking to spend a grand on a soundcard.

Once folks know the price range, that should help them provide recommendations that will narrow down your choices, which is after all what you probably are attempting to do.

Richard
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/16 20:28:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AlesisM51
    ...I would start the thread by stating how much you want to spend...

Absolutely. There are soundcards that have low latency, multiple ins/outs, and high quality to be got for anywhere from $200 to $150,000, for real. Most of the soundcards people discuss on these boards have respectable sound quality for the price range and low latency (as long as you steer clear of USB 1.1-- USB 2 is fine).

That said, here are some of the other things that really make a difference within a given price range:

1. Extra features. Some sound cards have all kinds of cool auxilliary features, such as integrated software-controlled mixers or onboard effects, or built-in limiters on the preamps or insert jacks so you can use an outboard compressor or whatever. These can be a lifesaver if you need them, or a big waste of money if you don't, and may complicate the operation fo the soundcard for the stuff you need to do every day. It's better to buy a soundcard that does the things you need it to do really well, than to pay for a lot of potentially confusing features that you don't need.

2. Number and type of outputs. Extra outputs are a handy thing to have, especially if your soundcard has internal mixing/routing capabilities. The ability to have all your inputs constantly connected to say, a hardware tuner can be surprisingly useful. And as your studio and ambitions grow, the ability to listen to one version of the mix while your singer or whoever hears a different version in her headphones starts to become indispensible. Having more than one set of headphone outputs is also convenient if you want to keep things small and simple. And if you ever want to use hardware effects during mixdown, you pretty much have to have extra outputs.

3. Number and type of inputs/preamps. Most pro and semi-pro soundcards these days seem to come with two mic/instrument preamps and a bunch of line inputs. If you already have preamps that you're happy with, then those built-in preamps are pretty useless, although they don't hurt anything. If you don't have and don't plan to buy additional preamps, then the line inputs are practially useless for most conventional recording applications. But keep in mind that chances are very good that if you stick with this long enough to actually be using 8 or ten inputs simultaneously, you'll probably pick up some specialized outboard preamps. Preamps should include phantom power. Ribbon mics require better-than-average preamps, usually outboard ones with high gain and variable impedance.

4. Portability and swappability. Chances are pretty good that some point down the road, you'll want to record someplace else. With laptops getting better and cheaper every day, buying a soundcard with a simple and easy firewire or USB 2 connection makes a lot of sense, all else being equal.

5. Ease-of-use and "hidden" compatibility issues. When you find a soundcard that looks like it has what you want, run a quick search on the forums and message boards to see what kinds of complaints/issues people are having with it. Some soundcards don't get along with some chipsets, some soundcard drivers seem particularly finicky or buggy, and so on. Every soundcard always has SOMEBODY complaining about something, but what you really want to look out for is long and/or repeated complaints about similar problems from experienced users that don't have a clear fix.

6. Age of the soundcard and upgrades. Soundcards, like everything else in audio, continue to shoot up in quality while dropping in price. At some point in time, you will probably want to replace whatever you get. Higher-quality, specialized cards from well-respected manufacturers such as MOTU, M-Audio, and Apogee tend to hold their "ebay value" quite well, and can often be re-sold two or three years later for close to the original purchase price. "beginner" cards and "do-it-all" cards with lots of bells and whistles tend to lose their value faster as newer models come out with more bells and whistles. In any price range, sound quality tends to hold its value better than extra features do.

As you look for advice, keep in mind that most people have not really used very many soundcards, even experienced or professional users. When people say "I have such-and-such and it's awesome," that may be the only soundcard they've ever used on a day-to-day basis, other than built-in ones that came with a computer. By the same token, magazines and professional reviewers may be able to compare more soundcards, but they probably haven't tested those soundcards on lots of different systems. A soundcard that they fell in love with on their custom-built audio supercomputer may have tons of angry users out there who can't get it to work with HP office machines and so on. So lean towards trusting the magazines/pro reviewers for information on sound quality and features, and check the message boards and online forums for information on reliability and compatibility.

My $.02, anyway.

Cheers.
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/17 10:49:47 (permalink)
    My $.02, anyway.

Yep, your post should be a sticky at the top of this forum. Great post!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    Johnny1982
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/21 08:14:36 (permalink)
    I know you'll want to hang me after this... But I must say that audigy cards aren't bad at all with kx drivers...

There's nothing better for that price range. Excelent for starters.

(/me runs away)
    brendantownsend
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 279
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/21 09:34:36 (permalink)
    I have been using the X-Fi for a little while now, but am now looking to upgrade to a professional outboard unit with multi-I/O (8-10 chan) and good DSP. I want to bus through an analogue mixer, mixing down in the analogue domain with perhaps additional outboard reverb/compression (etc).

What would you guys suggest/recommend as a good outboard sound unit, offering all of the functionality that I currently enjoy with the X-Fi? Balanced o/p's I'm sure would be standard (and preferable as I have an analogue Soundcraft "Spirit ES" mixer).

I don't mean to appear completely ignorant though as a Creative-only user before it will be a bit of a leap of faith, and I've had no real exposure to professional outboards at-all. I would be looking for something at/under say $2000.

Any help and suggestions gratefully received

Many thanks in advance.

Brendan.

S6Pro; P5v2; XV-5080; V-Drums+SPD11; 2x Delta 1010; Soundcraft 24ch; TC M3000 Reverb; Keystation Pro88; Alesis M1Active 620; Dual 3.2GHz 2+2MB; 4GB 800MHz XMS-2; 5x 10krpm HDD; RAID-0; XP PRO & 64
    Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/21 18:02:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: brendantownsend

I have been using the X-Fi for a little while now, but am now looking to upgrade to a professional outboard unit with multi-I/O (8-10 chan) and good DSP. I want to bus through an analogue mixer, mixing down in the analogue domain with perhaps additional outboard reverb/compression (etc).

What would you guys suggest/recommend as a good outboard sound unit, offering all of the functionality that I currently enjoy with the X-Fi? Balanced o/p's I'm sure would be standard (and preferable as I have an analogue Soundcraft "Spirit ES" mixer).

I don't mean to appear completely ignorant though as a Creative-only user before it will be a bit of a leap of faith, and I've had no real exposure to professional outboards at-all. I would be looking for something at/under say $2000.

Any help and suggestions gratefully received

Many thanks in advance.

Brendan.

ESI MaXiO XD (1600$) Audio/Midi Rack Unit with PC Interface.

This ESI 'system' is equipped with the best converters available from AKM, and the RMAA results just seems excellent.

Specifications - EX8000;
    - High quality 24bit 192kHz ADC; 123dB Dynamic range
    - High quality 24bit 192kHz DAC; 120dB Dynamic range
    - E.D.I connector
    - Ultra low noise MIC pre-amp
    - Sample rate : 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz
    - +48V Phantom Power supply
    - 10 step LED Peak meter (for every channel)
    - Analog Input: 8 XLR (Combo) Connector(+4dBu/-10dBV)
    - Insert : 8x1/4" Phone jack
    - Analog Output: 8x TRS/XLR bal connector(+4dBu/-10dBV)
    - Headphone Amplifier
    - 8ch Digital I/O: AES/EBU & Coaxial support upto 24-bit/192kHz
    - ADAT I/O, S/MUX, Word Clock Input via BNC connector

- PCI host Card;
    - 32bit PCI Interface : PCI Bus-Mastering support
    - Full Duplex - Simultaneous Record/Playback
    - 32ch In/32ch Out, 24bit 192kHz Audio Stream I/O
    - 4 Port E.D.I connectors and 1 port M.D.I connector
    - Hardware Input monitoring
    - 192kHz SPDI/F Coaxial Digital I/O
    - 1In/1Out, 16 channel MIDI
    - PCI slot compatibility - designed to suit for +3.3V and/or +5V PCI slot
    - supports EWDM driver: MME/WDM, DirectSound, ASIO 2.0, GSIF 2.0
    - Windows®XP/2000 compatible

More information can be found from MaXIOXD.COM.

Junski

tomek
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/21 18:32:39 (permalink)
    Yep,
    excellent advice!

Tomek.
    axe
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: Best Sound Card For My Needs? 2006/05/22 01:37:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Johnny1982

I know you'll want to hang me after this... But I must say that audigy cards aren't bad at all with kx drivers...

There's nothing better for that price range. Excelent for starters.

(/me runs away)

The ECHO and M-Audio cards would be a better choice at about the same price and these are perfect starters.

AXE
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1