Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
southpaw3473
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 782
2010/09/14 09:17:41 (permalink)

Best Sounding Decade

Howdy all,
A very good friend and I had a fun conversation the other day and I thought I would throw it out here and see what you all think.  The discussion was about which decade produced the best sounding recordings. 

My friend is a really great engineer and producer and we've known each other for years. He’s also older than me.

It started with a talk about equipment, namely large consoles and their influence on the “sound” of certain recordings.  My buddy has a classic Neotek board from the early 80s and is delicious in every way!  His stand was that recordings in the 80s were the best sounding overall based on the emergence of The Digital Age which ushered in a era of new music technologies, some amazing sounding equipment like his board and the construction of some wonderful sounding studios.  Fair play to ye’ says I.

I said I thought the 70s was the decade that produced the best sounding records. I think it was the height of the Analog Age.  I’ll always argue analog sounds better than digital because there are real world physical things happening (a record spins, magnetic tape has physical pieces of FeO2 on its mylar, etc).  The best equipment I ever heard were some of the stuff from the 70s.

So what do you think?  We limited our conversation to just the 70s and 80s but I guess any decade is open for the discussion.  We’re all engineers and producers to some degree anyway so I thought I’d get your input.  Thanks, I thought it would be a fun topic. ;)

All the best
Tommy

We'll not risk another frontal assault-that rabbit's dynamite!!!

Tommy Byrnes
Sonar Platinum
Win 10 Pro x64 AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core 4.00GHz/ ASRock 970 Extreme4/ 16 gigs RAM
UA Apollo Firewire/UA 2 Quad Satellite/ Focusrite OctoPre/Makie Onyx1220i Mixer  
THANK YOU!!!

43 Replies Related Threads

tfkeel
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 09:35:16 (permalink)
    It would also be interesting to list the person's age along with his/her preference.

I think the 70's were amazing.  I was fortunate to work in the studio in that era and to watch the emerging digital equipment.  I'm 58.  I remember my weekly trip under the Scully 16 track (big as a wall) to adjust the pinch roller pressure and cure our flutter problem for another 3 days.   People did fabulous things with analog, too, mellotron (the first sampling keyboard), cooper time cube, etc.

post edited by tfkeel - 2010/09/14 10:01:30

Sonar 8.5 Producer Version 8.5.3.282 - Windows XP Home Edition w/all upgrades through SP3 - Windows Vista business SP2 - PreSonus FireBox interface - M-Audio UNO - Behringer UCA202 U-control - ADK ProAudio quad-core 3.2 Ghz overclocked, 8 Gb ram - been with Cakewalk since 3.0 in 1990 ( it was MIDI only...under MS/DOS - computer was 4 MHz :) )

http://www.keelsmusic.com
    garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 09:36:46 (permalink)
    Yeah, I think it would be the 70s too.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/  - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 10:14:23 (permalink)
    If we are talking about the quality of recordings then its a difficult thing to answer. I am going to rely on memory mostly and thus its not a good way to make any definitive judgment. However many of the recordings I have on CD now were recorded in the early 70s. I also have a few from the 80s. Overall I would say it depends greatly on what was recorded and who did the recording. 

One album that stands out was Dark Side of the Moon. It was recorded in 72-73. It was used by many to show off the stunning quality of high end HI FI systems. Yet it was not the rule in quality. Most albums then were far less in quality of either recording or production. Then there were a great many small labels around that prided themselves on being very careful in how they did their recordings. Blue Note is one that stands out as a great label. They used very simple techniques to record yet their recordings as still some of the very finest around.

The 80s saw an overall increase in recording quality and we have a lot of great albums from that time that are as a rule better then the average from the 70s. I can't speak to the overall music quality though as being any better. But it was a time for some interesting music with I believe an overall quality increase.

We would need to pick and choose to find the very best from each era.

Clearly technology improved greatly in the 80s yet the quality was not always the first consideration.  We see it now with the loudness wars. We have outstanding equipment yet it gets abused.

So I think we can find in any era recordings that move us in the quality they had yet it all boils down to who did it and what care they put into it.

Best
    John
    DaneStewart
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 717
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 10:21:32 (permalink)
    70's

There was great technology added in the 80's but too many engineers put dumb trendy stuff on too many songs and just killed them.   i.e. short room.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 10:35:24 (permalink)
    I think we need to be careful here.

The 70's had a very clear, audible demarcation between what was being recorded in 1970 and 1979.

Zappa's work on Joe's Garage was absolutely pristine throughout it's 6 sides.
    DSOM similar.

For sure, some of my favourite albums were recorded in this decade but for me, the best period for pure quality was after the excesses of the 80's had worn off and the beginning of the loudness wars.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    chilldanny
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 10:38:51 (permalink)
    80's

Gated reverb, Yamaha DX7 and total overproduction....loves it =)

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
    chilldanny
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 10:41:55 (permalink)
    I don't seem to remember much of the early 90's tho,
    it's all a little blurry lol

Ah, the free-party rave scene.....

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 10:54:38 (permalink)
    I was going to say '70s but "In the Court of the Crimson King" was recorded in 1969, and for me, that's the best ever.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 11:14:22 (permalink)
    Like the sound of the 80s...
    The best song-writing was probably done in the 70s

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 11:18:02 (permalink)
    There are a number of factors that have influenced audio quality over the years, factors that you could plot on a graph starting with their crude origins on up to where they stopped getting better. If you overlaid all these factors, you'd see sweet spots where more than one of them meet at their respective zeniths.

The most obvious factor is the use of limiters, initially applied for purely practical reasons and later for aesthetic effect. Pushing up the average RMS improves the overall sound, but only to a point, beyond which the sound quality begins to degrade. Graphs plotting the average RMS of music from each decade have actually been created, so you can see the upward progression over the years. Sometime in the mid-to-late 90's seems to be where it clearly crosses over from helping to hurting. For this particular factor, the 80's seem to be the sweet spot.

Another factor would be the technical quality of recorders, both analog and digital. Analog tape decks hit their zenith in the 70's and haven't progressed much since then. Tape formulations have, but not recently. So in terms of that particular factor's timeline, you have to put the sweet spot sometime at or after the early 70's.

Digital recording went through a similar ramp-up, starting from early implementations that were difficult to make a good recording with. Believe it or not, some excellent digital recordings were made in the 60's, but it wasn't an easy thing to do. Digital recording didn't really come into its own until the 90's, when inexpensive quality became available to everyone. Unfortunately, the loudness wars began at the same time, negating much of the benefit of digital audio. The ease of digital editing brought along the concept of "fixing" everything. At first, that was a good thing. Eventually, it got taken to ridiculous extremes and became a negative factor. For this factor, the 90's were the time when people had learned how to use digital well but hadn't yet started to get crazy with it.

Many other technological timelines factor in: multi-track recording, FET microphones, digital reverbs, tubes and transistors, musical instruments, digital editing, pitch correction, even the ancient science of acoustics.

And let's not ignore the 800-lb gorilla: the influence of marketing by the entertainment industry. That influences what techniques are employed in the studio as much as any technological advantage. And it has a timeline, too. Record companies once allowed more creativity, then enforced tedious homogeneity for awhile, then ultimately began to lose its power. This particular factor's curve reached its zenith in the 60's or 70's, I think.

Put all these factors together and I think the best audio quality comes in the mid-70's to mid-90's. Sadly, it's also a period marked by a lot of really bad and unoriginal music - but that's another conversation entirely.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 11:20:14 (permalink)
    "In the Court of the Crimson King" was recorded in 1969, and for me, that's the best ever.

Amen to that, brother. That record changed my life.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 11:26:49 (permalink)
    John
     Blue Note is one that stands out as a great label. They used very simple techniques to record yet their recordings as still some of the very finest around.

My favourite sounding recording of all time is, strangely, Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue album recorded for Blue Note in 1963!!!

I am 45 and started being involved in recording in the 80s. I knew nothing about it back then as a bass player in an indie band and have learned since that our 'producer' didn't really have much clue what he was doing. He refused to use compression on anything, believing it would kill the dynamics when all it actually did was kill the recording and make everything flat and lifeless and above all quiet - similarly he very rarely used eq as had a belief that to truely capture the 'sound' all the harmonics should be present......It very much depends on who is at the controls when it comes to 'quality' of recording.

Some of the greatest albums of all time (IMHO) were recorded in the 70s - for various different reasons I'd include Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zep IV, The Clash London Calling, Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks, ELP Brain Salad Surgery, ELO Out of the Blue, Gong Flying Teapot

etc etc etc

but then they're just favourites of mine but they all sound great and capture the artist's character superbly.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    passenger57
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 11:39:01 (permalink)
    Martin Hannett!

SONAR 8.5.3 PE (x64)
    WINDOWS 7 Pro (64bit)
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 2.49 GHZ
    EMU 1616m
    8 GB Of RAM
    ATI RADEON HD 4650 w/ dual monitors
    Vienna Ensemble Pro VST
    PLAY VST
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 11:46:26 (permalink)
    passenger57

Martin Hannett!

Unknown Pleasures and Closer yes.....the work he did with Durutti Column though is shocking.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    tom1
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 559
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 13:12:51 (permalink)
    Those early Roy Orbison records had a quality to them.......

I believe they were recorded at Monument Studios in Tennessee;

and considering the equipment (or lack there of) they had to work with, the sound they achieved was incredible.

and they still sound great today.

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
    Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
    East West:
    Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
    Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 13:22:17 (permalink)
    Seems to me that the 70s were also a heyday for domestic Hi-Fi. I've got some lovely gear, picked up from second hand shops, that sounds awesome (especially on 70's music). I still can't believe that I only paid £30 for my Armstrong speakers, they still sound incredible, I also have a soft spot for old Warfdales and Goodmans boxes too!

I also tend to agree with childanny 88-93 was (from what I remember of it) a very exciting and creative time. Early UK jungle and breakbeat in particular sounded out of this world (although it may have been that I was 'out of this world' at the time!)

Child
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 14:09:20 (permalink)
    For me it roughly spans the years 1977-1983. Seems like huge strides in production quality and sheer creativity were being made then; Steely Dan's 'Aja', Peter Gabriels 3rd and 4th solo albums (PG4 blew me away when I first played it), Talking Heads 'Remain in Light'

It coincides also with the time when I started out gigging with a serious band, and having a engineer who would test the PA with some fantastic stuff, Todd Rundgren, The Buggles 'Adventures in Modern Recording', Rush's 'Permanent Waves'.

I also really liked the sound of the synth artists from that time, Howard Jones, Icehouse, Nik Kershaw, Eurythmics. After about '85 it seemed to all get a bit glossy and overdone.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 14:30:42 (permalink)
    What is this 'quality' you all speak of and how can I get some?

OK, seriously. Until recently I thought all recordings in the 60s were crap (even though I came of age with the Beatles).

On my trip to the UK I listened to Sgt. Peppers on the in-flight system. Yeah, they were over the ear noise cancelling headphones (probably about $20) but boy was I surprised at the fidelity of that album.

I check CHB songs and other collabs with headphones all the time but I have not listened to an album that way for YEARS.

I may need to listen to a few more albums like that before I cast my vote.

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 14:41:55 (permalink)

tie - 70's and 80's 

Mid and late 1970's I think is where recording technique was most particular and detailed than ever before. Everything had to have a certain sound according to producers and everything had to be recorded perfectly clean - I mean one of the things I hear in the 70's recordings is how tidy it all is ..and some what dry  - but the mixes were all done very well    -somehow the sound quality was good - BUT -  often the performance on tape was lacking - probably from trying to play it "so perfect" the soul gets zapped 

I think the 80's took the technique of the 70's with everything being tidy and perfect - to adding a lot of sythn and reverb -- ohhh the reverb and big stadium sound everything had to have - and some how the performances of the musicians while recording seem to have more energy 

anyway -  think its a combination or an over lap of these two decades where recording techniques and the making of albums - tapes - CD's were all peaking 

I mean there was a time when you could go into a record store and they had - vinyl - tape - and CD's - That was probably -- THE PEAK - 

maybe 

Hell - I dunno 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

bapu
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 14:50:00 (permalink)
    maybe  Hell - I dunno 

WTH is a dunno?
    Soundtrapper
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 15:12:02 (permalink)
    I'm 55. My favorite music is from the 60's and 70's. (and some 80's thanks to VH and a few others)

I don't know what the best produced/engineered recordings are
    but I enjoy listening now than any other time.

I remember the pops, scratches and horrible systems through
    the years. Now I can listen to music on a nice system without
    the physical issues of records.

The real bonus is the music that I favored is being sold again and
    it never sounded as good to me.

I've enjoyed DVD's of live concerts that had/have better sounding recordings than
    my old records.
    The most recent DVD was Alison Krauss in the studio - "A Hundred Miles Or More"
    Incredible recording. Like nothing I ever heard from the years past.

So now is it. If it's good music we have the oppertunity to hear it like never before.
    That's what I think anyway.

Sonar 8.5.3
    Win 7 64 bit

Soundtrapper at Mixposure 

bapu
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 15:14:04 (permalink)
    ST,

At least you did not finish with "I dunno". Bless your heart.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 16:43:31 (permalink)
    The first half of '70's

Loudness wasn't an issue, we had volume controls and knew how to use them.  Many of the famous British consoles that are emulated in software today were standard fit in many top studios. 

'Hi-Fi', tape decks and turntables, still had a bit of youth left in them before they all peaked in some form of standard quality and turned Japanese a few years later with lovely space-age looking systems from Bang & Olufson and the like still being vaunted objects of desire.

Lots of seminal albums at the time too, as the only interference that many bands had from record companies then was the simple instruction to produce a record.

Ziggy Stardust, Seven Seas of Rhye, Close to the Edge, the good Supertramp albums, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road the list IS endless.

It may well be nostalgia but there was a whole dimension of enjoying music that vanished, from the dusky listening rooms of the record shops, choosing an album to purchase, reading the cover notes on the way home to lovingly removing the cellophane drawing out the inner sleeve placing the pristine new disc on the turntable.

Then just kicking back and being blown away.

Analysis may 'prove' in many ways that this wasn't the 'best' sounding era in terms of 'fletcher/munson' curves, signal to noise ratios, frequency responses and all that slide rule garbage they go on about upstairs, but you could feel, taste, smell and touch the whole experience of enjoying sounds back then.  Much less so since.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 17:13:32 (permalink)

Best Sounding Decade

I think DECAYED sounds better, or maybe even DECK AID at a push...

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

bapu
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 17:59:01 (permalink)
    De Cadre says it all rather eloquently, methinks.

EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 18:52:23 (permalink)
    Late 60s && 70s !!! Viva La 8_Track!!! 

!w00t!

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 19:38:55 (permalink)
    Live Music: 1940's

Recorded Music 1970's

just an opinion.

guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 19:45:39 (permalink)
    I think the best "recordings" were from the 70's. I like the sound of stuff today though better. Especially if they are using boards from the 70's before going into pro tools.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Best Sounding Decade 2010/09/14 19:53:48 (permalink)
    Hi,

I really think that all decades have their own bits and pieces and are worth the listens.

Hard to not think that the 60's were not the greatest, since the biggest music changes took place in that era with the Beatles and Rolling Stones breaking through via Pirate Radio and finally breaking the hold on pop music and radio. And later on in that decade, television made a splash in color and we learned there was a world out there, and that there was a lot of music ... much of which we still love dearly and stand up for. It was also a time when people experimented and tried things and did a lot of unusual musics and arts because of it.

For the arts, music, literature, film and television I would say the 60's were the best of them all during my lifetime (born in 1950).

The 70's are good only because it is hard for us to let go of the monsters in music at that time, after the Beatles and Rolling Stones. And synthesizers became major in rock music and a lot of those bands are still remembered and appreciated. The "progressive" scene always wants to start in the 70's with Genesis, ELP, KC and such, but in all honesty, In The Court of the Crimson King was a 60's thing, and it still resonates today as one of the greatest rock albums of all time!

But all decades have a lot of things, and the 80's and 90's were just as fine.

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1