Best compressors for Sonar?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
2008/05/17 23:33:18 (permalink)

Best compressors for Sonar?

I have the PSP vintage warmer, and am ruining Sonar pro 7, And I'm already considering a UAD card, so asside from all of that? Does anyone have any compelling "really good" comressors? (That will work well with Sonar) Already have all the stuff that comes w/Sonar.

Thanks.

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

47 Replies Related Threads

DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/17 23:35:28 (permalink)
    I really like the Waves SSL. Also check out the Voxengo stuff, cant go wrong there.

Mike
    post edited by chefmike8888 - 2008/05/17 23:59:40

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 00:35:04 (permalink)
    Kjaerhus GCO-1. Great Compressor.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 01:02:28 (permalink)
    Any compreesor that is a VST or DX will work with sonar. so just get or use the one that does your music justice. No one vst or dx compressor will work better than another one. That being said, i love the waves Ren compressors, they are my go to compresors for inserting in the track.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    KenJr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 01:30:46 (permalink)
    I like the Waves SSL and API stuff - it's pretty good. I have a UAD and VST wise you can't beat their LA's and 1176's - just awesome.

Between the Waves (mostly use the API 2500 compressor or the SSL channel which of course includes compression) and UAD not much else gets into my mix.

Also - the SSL stereo buss compressor is SCHWEET! It's on just about everything I do - with the "Alge - Finalizer" preset.

I do love the PSP Vintage Warmer though. It's 'analog tape' presets with a little tweaking just do wonders for a mix.

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
    HeavyTRAFFIK
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 362
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 04:39:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

just get or use the one that does your music justice. No one vst or dx compressor will work better than another one.

Like CJ's saying, it depends on what results you're looking for. These are merely suggestions based on what WE'VE tried and ended up liking. You may find one on your own that you prefer (that's usually how it goes with just about ANY processor).

Anyway, my vote emphatically goes to the Voxengo Marquis Compressor (for tracks, not mixes). In my opinion it's just heavenly! Yum.
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 06:28:49 (permalink)
    I'm really looking forward to the moment I try a compressor and go "wow, THAT's a great compressor". I haven't experienced it yet, in any of the studio environments where I've worked. In the meantime, I slap Sonitus Compressor on my tracks. It's easy to make it do what I want!

Sven
    post edited by SvenArne - 2008/05/18 06:29:33

andychap
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 07:04:46 (permalink)
    FabFilter Pro C, lovely to work with.

Andy

Phenom IIx4 965 3.4Ghz & 8Gb RAM
    Win 7x64 bit,Sonar X1B, Komplete 5
    Xstation, A&H ZED10, Roland E09

HotCoollMusicGirl
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 991
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 07:45:45 (permalink)
    What's a "really good" compressor? Doesn't it depend on what you want the compressor to do, and what you want it to do it *to*? What are you using it for? To color the sound? What's the sound? What kind of color? Or do you want it to be transparent? Wouldn't being transparent mean that you couldn't hear it? Well then, why not just put it in bypass? Or not use it at all?

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 09:32:55 (permalink)
    I guess if people are willing to watch a video by a dance club DJ to learn about using a stack of compressors...

Then they might be interested in reading some opinions by this guy:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bruce-swedien/83046-compression-kids.html

I'm predisposed to Mr Swedien's way of thinking and subsequently... I find I can get by with Sonitus FX Compressor just fine.

best regards,
    mike
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 09:39:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: boten

Is this any different to the compressors in VC-64? (VC-64 is the Kjaerhus Golden Channel with a different skin).

UnderTow
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 10:15:44 (permalink)
    I agree with Undertow, the Vintage Channel is really sweet! It's sometimes forgotten, I think, in the "What's-the-better-compressor" discussions. With Boost11 and the Vintage Channel pluss the Sonitus plugs, I find that most of my dynamics needs are covered with what's included in S7PE

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    jonespnice1
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 10:33:58 (permalink)
    The term "good compressor" all depends on the particular application and sound source, with that being said I like the vintage channel also.
    rhythmeus
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 336
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 11:10:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: UnderTow

ORIGINAL: boten

Is this any different to the compressors in VC-64? (VC-64 is the Kjaerhus Golden Channel with a different skin).

UnderTow

Agree there with Undertow...
    I was using the GCO a lot till I upgraded to S7, now I use VC64.

<GET_BACK_TO_WORK>false</GET_BACK_TO_WORK>
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 12:12:49 (permalink)
    I suspect that what folks call "great" compressors are the ones they can't screw up no matter how badly they abuse them. I'm sure this is why Ozone is always on everyone's list - it's pretty hard to make it sound bad.

The hard truth is that most users do not fully understand how compressors work. Many on a quest for a "great" compressor are just frustrated by poor results from whatever plug they're currently using, when in reality the sonic difference between high-end compressors and garden-variety compressors is not as huge as you might think.

I'd suggest that before anyone gets out the credit card for a new compressor, that they first spend some quality time with the Sonitus compressor they already have. It is quite capable of good results, so you may find that it's all you really need, or if not, at least you'll be better prepared to evaluate alternatives.

I am not insinuating that the OP doesn't know how to use a compressor. But it is the most complex effect in your toolbox and takes the longest to master. I just don't want to see folks throwing money at a problem that money may not fix.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 14:31:15 (permalink)
    I really like the (sadly discontinued) TC native compressor which I rediscovered a while ago. In fact, I like it - and most of the other TC plug ins - so much that I'm now seriously considering buying a PowerCore.

It really sounds "tight" to my ears - though I really don't use that much compression, and then mostly to colour the sound since I prefer to control dynamics w/ envelopes.

I think that while many other processors tend to exagerate the so-called analog saturation (e.g. Vintage Warmer), TC's soft sat seems of a much more subtle nature but extremely effective. It works for me anyway.

Now if Cakewalk could get the right to ditribute those discontinued plug-ins as part of Sonar's bundled plug-ins... That would be my best compressor for Sonar.

As far as track compression, that and the included Sonitus comp pretty much cover all my needs, w/ very few exceptions.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    IzovAge
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 398
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 14:39:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

I find I can get by with Sonitus FX Compressor just fine.

I can totally agree with this. I keep spending $ for all this so claimed stuff and keep coming back to the Sontius FX Suite. These are great tools and very underrated by many.

I do have a couple of outboard comps that I use on the way in but not much.
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 15:08:49 (permalink)
    I am a complete hack when it comes to compressors, but I do like a variety of different compressors (and EQs) to choose from. I just tried out Voxengo's Crunchessor, and it has a unique 'color' to its sound as compared to the Sonitus compressors and the VC-64. I wouldn't say it's better, just different.
    HotCoollMusicGirl
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 991
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 16:40:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

I guess if people are willing to watch a video by a dance club DJ to learn about using a stack of compressors...

Then they might be interested in reading some opinions by this guy:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bruce-swedien/83046-compression-kids.html

I'm predisposed to Mr Swedien's way of thinking and subsequently... I find I can get by with Sonitus FX Compressor just fine.

That was an interesting thread. It somehow led me to this 2006 interview with Bruce Swedien. http://www.mixbuss.com/article.php?id=130

This bit was especially informative (perhaps a bit off topic, but it adds some context and color to the discussion.)

<<< Ok, so what about monitoring?

I have my Westlakes and they go with me everywhere. Quincy says that moving with me from studio to studio is like moving the Fifty Army. It takes 25 Anvil cases to move my speakers, mics, cables, and stuff. Even with the industry in the condition it is in today, I still get calls to do gigs with all my stuff, and it costs a fortune to move. In those cases are my Westlake speakers, and my Electocompaniet monitor amplifiers. I use an amplifier made in Norway, and I use the Westlakes that Glenn Phoenix designed and they are passive bi-amps. There is no electronic circuitry in the speaker. The monitor amps are connected directly to the drivers. And I use Monster Cable, which I love. >>>

He then goes on to say what mics he uses to record the sound of the second assistant engineer's second, third, and fourth assistant engineers unpacking the Anvil cases (and the compressors they don't use to faithfully preserve the transients of the Anvil latches being flipped), and then moving them into storage so that their empty cavities don't throw off the frequency response of the room (and the compressors they reluctantly use to raise the level of the fourth assistant engineer's second assistant cursing out Mr. Swedien under his breath.)

Hardly surprising then that he still gets calls to do gigs with all his stuff, even though it costs a fortune to move, because when you're recording Jennifer Lopez's new album, not only can't you afford to compromise on quality... there's no need to!
    post edited by HotCoollMusicGirl - 2008/05/18 17:01:23
    Rain
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 17:37:07 (permalink)
    Is it possible, maybe just possible, that Mr. Swedien's success has got nothing to do w/ what he thinks?

As an exemple, I for one, do not believe in Monster Cables... Still he praises them. I admire his work - his talent. But I don't believe it's got anything to do w/ the cables he uses - not for a second.

Artists - not just musicians, but mixers, painters, poets and writers etc - often have a completely different view on their own work than people do. We don't appreciate them for the reasons why they think we should appreciate them. Success is a misunderstanding or so they say. They don't hear what we hear - or they do not focus on the same things.

I really think it's not a matter of brand or this or that - in the end, it's what you feel confortable working with. When people tell me about what they like in my own songs, it's more often than not a complete surprise - something I had overlooked...

Jimmy Page could probably tell you that there'd be no Kashmir if not for his Danelectro... But in the end, to me as a listener, he could have used a Les Paul or a Telecaster.

It's just a matter of finding what works for you.
    post edited by Rain - 2008/05/18 17:57:42

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 17:40:12 (permalink)
    Yah I think most people's "great" factor is an aesthetic one or a usability one.

The Sonitus compressor is incredibly adequate for compression duties.

VintageWarmer (OP's default) is AWESOME. Granted it's more than a compressor, and has "a sound" to it, but I love it. VC-64 also has it's own character.

I'm like CJ, I default to Waves Ren Compressor because it's easy, obvious, and has just a hint of some kind of analog distortion I like at high ratios.

But if you're not looking for something that imparts it's own "sound" on the signal, stick with the basics.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    tonester
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 823
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 18:35:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

I have the PSP vintage warmer, and am ruining Sonar pro 7, And I'm already considering a UAD card, so asside from all of that? Does anyone have any compelling "really good" comressors? (That will work well with Sonar) Already have all the stuff that comes w/Sonar.

Thanks.

LOL. I don't need any one compressor to ruin Sonar pro 7. I do a pretty good job of that on my own.

That being said, I personally like the included Sonitus plugs. I think they get the job done without a big hit on your CPU. However , if you have the $$$ ,you really can't go wrong with Waves or UAD
    Rain
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 18:40:38 (permalink)
    See - this is exactly what I mean - I really dig this guy's work - I honestly do. The Fog People is an amazing project. Reading such posts make me want to go back to my good old Ren Comp. But it's not about the tools. Personnaly, I've had more success w/ the Sonitus comp than I've had w/ Ren Comp. So I'll go after the spirit instead...

ORIGINAL: ...wicked

Yah I think most people's "great" factor is an aesthetic one or a usability one.

The Sonitus compressor is incredibly adequate for compression duties.

VintageWarmer (OP's default) is AWESOME. Granted it's more than a compressor, and has "a sound" to it, but I love it. VC-64 also has it's own character.

I'm like CJ, I default to Waves Ren Compressor because it's easy, obvious, and has just a hint of some kind of analog distortion I like at high ratios.

But if you're not looking for something that imparts it's own "sound" on the signal, stick with the basics.

alxi
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 20:03:36 (permalink)
    +1 for the Waves API 2500 and the Fabfilter Pro C

Also don't over look Stillwell Major Tom

-Alxi-

For ever learning
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 23:05:09 (permalink)
    I keep comming back to the Timeworks comp & limiter. It came with one of the earlier versions of Cake so I'm not sure whether it can still be had from them of not.
    It's pretty clean and straight forward like the Sonitus, but it seems to run a little differently and has some other nice features.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/18 23:37:59 (permalink)

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/21 16:25:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rain
    See - this is exactly what I mean - I really dig this guy's work - I honestly do. The Fog People is an amazing project.

haha, thanks man! It's funny I saw your post on another thread and said "sheesh I haven't seen him post in a while, lemme check his history and see what's up..." and lo and behold, you dropped me a kudos!

there's no links in your sig, where's some samples of your work???

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    DaveR
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 288
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/21 16:37:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mixsit

I keep comming back to the Timeworks comp & limiter.

Ditto. I also use the Timeworks EQ on just about every track. With the graphical controls and spectrum display it is very easy to work with. This is the reason I won't throw away my old SONAR CD's.
    mrBun
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/21 17:43:11 (permalink)
    +1 for waves API 2500, SSL channel (and SSL Buss compressor on the master buss).
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/21 17:45:58 (permalink)
    Mr. Antress has some marvelous sounding compressors, expanders, limiters -- whether you like opto-coupling, tube, FET, whatever -- he has done them.

What is amazing, is that they're free!

If you want to pay, you have many choices up and down the range -- Voxengo, Blue Tube, Sonnox, Waves ....

I just tried a cool little graphic compressor from Elemental Audio that's fun to use, and most intuitive....

But, I think we're still waiting for an answer -- what do you want to do with these compressors (yes, make loud sounds softer, and soft sounds louder -- we all know that.) But what sounds? Drums, bass, pads, symphonic (leave it alone!), electric guitar leads, vocals, what?

--kwgm
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1