Best "low end" sound card?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Metaphasic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
2010/09/30 00:35:56 (permalink)

Best "low end" sound card?

I am looking to replace the pos built-in thing my pc has now. I don't need pro grade audio recording, as I won't be doing any. I just need to hear soft synth output.

Having used Creative cards in the past, I was considering the following:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Creative+-+Sound+Blaster+X-Fi+Titanium+Sound+Card/9716175.p?id=1218172864730&skuId=9716175

It has ASIO drivers, 24 bit depth, and a few other things I like. Does anybody have any experience with this card?

Note: I am a mere home-bound hobbyist.

57 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/09/30 00:52:04 (permalink)
    Skip anything SoundBlaster related...

Get an Audiophile 192, or a Mia MIDI.
    Well under $200, rock-solid drivers, good sound, low round-trip latency

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Metaphasic
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/09/30 00:59:16 (permalink)
    Now for a rather important question...

What technical reasons are there against SB cards? The specs on the 192 seem extremely similar to the Titanium.

A technical reason, along with recommendations, would serve me better, though I will look and see if my local vendors even have these other products (no cc so I can't order online, it has to be in a place like best buy).
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/09/30 01:13:04 (permalink)
    What technical reasons are there against SB cards? The specs on the 192 seem extremely similar to the Titanium.

Where to start???  
    You can search these and many other audio forums and get 1001 posts that'll tell the story.
    The SB is much better suited to gaming than for audio recording.
    The drivers are crap, locked at 48k, can't record at 24Bits, high round-trip latency, etc.

SoundBlaster is to audio recording... what Radio-Shack is to professional audio.  
    There are simply much better options...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Metaphasic
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/09/30 01:16:27 (permalink)
    But I don't plan on recording any audio. I just need to hear output. And the Titanium specs say it can do 24 bit recording anyway, along with ASIO drivers.

Plus, this IS also my gaming machine.

Does that make a difference in my selection?

BTW: Thanks for replying! =)
    post edited by Serenarules - 2010/09/30 01:19:14
    RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/09/30 02:10:09 (permalink)
    The folks in this forum use Sonar for recording, and you're not going to find recommendations for Soundblasters around here. But it sounds like you've made up your mind anyway. 

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/09/30 04:06:26 (permalink)
    I wouldn't argue with Jim. The man knows from whence he speaks.

You'll have pops and glitches with the Soundblaster card within SONAR if you add more than a few softsynths. You don't necessarily have to do any recording. No one can say for sure where/when the problem will start, since we don't know what your other computer specs are or what you're going to be doing.

But take our advice: put that same amount of money toward a low-end E-MU or M-Audio card.

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    benstat
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/09/30 05:03:09 (permalink)
    I've been a long time SoundBlaster/Sonar user and have very recently upgraded to a Cakewalk UA-1G USB audio interface (which I am happy with - cheap and good quality). I had a SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum Ex 2, a few years ago it was top of the range. It was a PCI card with an external firewire audio interface box. It supposedly had support for 24/96, ASIO etc. For a while it worked well.
    Then they brought a new model out. After that they hardly ever updated the drivers of my model. Windows Vista and 7 came out, and the only drivers they released for it were basic 'just get it working' updates. Even then, they didn't come out for well over a year and a half after the new Windows releases.
    As it stands, my ex top of the range SoundBlaster is just about  capable of making basic sounds in Windows and games. For Sonar it is next to useless. The ASIO support was lost somewhere along the line so I was stuck in WDM mode.
    I had to give up in the end, and now I'm very happy with my Cakewalk UA-1G.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/09/30 12:40:35 (permalink)
    I used to use a SB card and it was OK.  Others have pointed out more high-end flaws, but Ben points out one serious flaw - updating drivers.  At less than $100 it might not matter, but when XP came out I was left w/ a $100 game card that wouldn't work w/ my new computer.  I bit the bullet and went firewire.  For less than $100 you can get one of the Cake or even Yamaha cards which should be updated.  Or get an SB but make sure it is VIsta 64 driven.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Metaphasic
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/09/30 21:44:48 (permalink)
    Thanks. There were a couple of good replies there. One about cracks and pops, and another about driver updates. This is enough for me. I'll probably get the Mia MIDI. It looked a bit better than the Audiophile 192. One more question though if you don't mind.

The Mia MIDI can live side-by-side with my current card (so I don't have to give up the kids games)?
    planetearth
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/09/30 21:58:55 (permalink)
    You would need to disable the SoundBlaster card to keep SONAR from having latency problems. The MiaMIDI could function as your audio output for the games. Of course, if you have it hooked into a high-end stereo system (instead of small computer speakers like the SoundBlaster usually is), then it could get confusing for the kids.

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    Metaphasic
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/09/30 22:02:42 (permalink)
    Gotcha. Thanks everybody.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/01 01:08:53 (permalink)
    You can run two cards - you just have to unclick the drivers, etc. of your game card in SONAR.  It helps if you are running ASIO, since you can only have one driver enabled at a time anyway.  I used my old SB that way, and I have never disabled a built-in card to run music.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/01 12:09:25 (permalink)
    I too have a Sound Blaster Audigy II PCI card.  It lives on in my family desk top. It was one of the better "on Board " cards at the time back in 2000. I used it without issues with Wave Lab. It came with Cubase LE ? I then bought Cakewalk Guitar Studio in 2004. I had no problems editing MIDI and using the Sound Fonts that it used.  But I never managed to get it to do audio without dropouts and crackles. Mind you we are talking a Celeron 990Mhz with 500MB of ram.
    I have a Yamaha O1V digital mixer and had no problems using the S/ PDIF in and out.
    I cannot use this same set up with my M Audio Fast TRack Pro. talk about bad drivers that were never updated. Don't buy one of those.
    Bottom line If all you are doing is MIDI a SB might not cause you problems. But forget Audio as you cannot use the ASIO mode. It is a lie on there behalf. I always had to use MME.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/01 12:59:27 (permalink)
    You would need to disable the SoundBlaster card to keep SONAR from having latency problems.

This is totally inaccurate. I second the motion by AT to leave the soundcard active for gaming and general multimedia use, setting it as the Default Device for Windows Audio, and leaving the Mia for use only by SONAR.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/01 14:14:41 (permalink)
    Serenarules

I am looking to replace the pos built-in thing my pc has now. I don't need pro grade audio recording, as I won't be doing any. I just need to hear soft synth output.

Having used Creative cards in the past, I was considering the following:
    Note: I am a mere home-bound hobbyist.

Everybody here has said don't use SB cards.... and I'll echo that as well.   I am a long time user here, and most of the problems we address from people just starting out has to do with the sound card. Some have even gone and bought SB cards since "the guy at the pc store" told them it was an upgrade.

OK so you don't want to record audio with it.... no problem...then you go on to say that you plan to use it for listening to SOFT SYNTH OUTPUT.

OK .... THAT is why you need a decent sound card. Very closely related to newbie questions about sound cards is "why is my synths delayed?" ...referring to latency.

To process most synths in real time (while recording OR playing back) the sound card has an enormous amount of data to process in a very short time. Trying to process that synth in real time, as well as the other FX and synths in the project AND get it to the speakers in sync with the audio and or other synths..... well, lets just say, the Sound Blasters fall very short of doing this well. Miserable Failure is probably a better term.

So follow the advice here... unless you are gaming or listening to MP3's, stay away from the SB cards for serious audio, and visit your local Pro Music Center. Have a talk with the folks in the recording dept and tell them what you plan to do and that you are on a tight budget. They will hook you up with an interface that will do the job you are asking it to do.

Just my 2 cents....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    planetearth
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/01 17:09:45 (permalink)
    You would need to disable the SoundBlaster card to keep SONAR from having latency problems. This is totally inaccurate. I second the motion by AT to leave the soundcard active for gaming and general multimedia use, setting it as the Default Device for Windows Audio, and leaving the Mia for use only by SONAR.

Many people in these forums have had to disable or remove their SoundBlaster cards to keep SONAR from having problems. The OP's mileage may vary, of course.

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/01 18:19:45 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

While I'm reluctant to contradict anything Dr. Roseberry says ... well I'm going to.  I'd recommend you take a look at the even lower-end (read less expensive) M-Audio 2496.  My limited needs for a sound card match yours and I couldn't be happier with the 2496 (street price ~ $100, the last time I looked).
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/01 18:56:28 (permalink)
    Uses the same driver...  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/02 05:11:13 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

exactly my suggestions-

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/02 05:13:29 (permalink)
    brundlefly

You would need to disable the SoundBlaster card to keep SONAR from having latency problems.

This is totally inaccurate. I second the motion by AT to leave the soundcard active for gaming and general multimedia use, setting it as the Default Device for Windows Audio, and leaving the Mia for use only by SONAR.
    I used to think so too until the required software from an onboard sound card on a gigabyte board caused problems pretty often-

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/02 11:07:54 (permalink)
    These days there is a plethora of budget priced(i.e.- under $200) sound cards that it's a no-brainer not to use one. The Echo line has a virtual mixer software with eight virtual outs(or four stereo pairs). I have this one($187). I assign the first pair to Windows, the second to Sonar, the third to Wavelab, the fourth to Live, etc. And yes, I've disabled the onboard "card" just to free up resources.

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/02 13:30:14 (permalink)
    Anubis

These days there is a plethora of budget priced(i.e.- under $200) sound cards that it's a no-brainer not to use one. The Echo line has a virtual mixer software with eight virtual outs(or four stereo pairs). I have this one($187). I assign the first pair to Windows, the second to Sonar, the third to Wavelab, the fourth to Live, etc. And yes, I've disabled the onboard "card" just to free up resources.

Exactly what I do with my echo device ;)

I LOVE ECHO!

post edited by Lanceindastudio - 2010/10/03 17:48:28

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    johnnyV
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/03 11:13:43 (permalink)
    Ya sorry Brundlefly: I too had to totaly remove my SB card to make my system work along with my USB interface. And I tried everything to make it work believe me. At the time, like the OP, I could not see why it should not work, It say's ASIO 24 bit on the splash screen! But in the end removing the SB Audigy card and all traces of it solved all my problems.
    I think that in the case of MOBO sound cards you can leave them active without grief, but the same is not necessarily true for PCI cards.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/10/03 11:15:39

Scarlett 6i6
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

johnc92672
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/06 02:49:35 (permalink)
    Well, I thought I was doing a good thing to upgrade to a soundblaster card, way back when, when I had sonar 2, but then had to get a better soundblaster card, then almost bought an even better one until I started reading this forum. I got an M Audio Delta 192 and never looked back. I too, had to completely remove the soundblaster card to get completely rid of it. The 192 is well worth the price.

Windows 7 Home Premium,  32Bit 
    Intel R Dual CPU E-2160 160GHz
    RAM 2.00 Gb
    Sonar 8.5.3 producer, M Audio Audiophile 192, M Audio 4X4, Beringer 350 W PA system 
    Gibson ES 335, Fender Acoustic, Fender Telacoustic, Marshall stack, Fender Concert, Fender Mustang III, Fender Mustang IV, Peavy Classic, Alesis Sumo 300, Roland DR3, M Audio Prokeys 88 .
    Pissed off neighbors.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/06 08:06:33 (permalink)
    Every DAW I've had from the earliest one running Cakewalk Pro 8 with a D-Man PCI card to my Dell 1720 with the Saffire firewire have run TWO audio cards at the same time without any problems.

All I did was set up the new card to default to the ASIO drivers and everything lived in harmony.

I have heard the horror stories but that has not been my experience.

My new build is different. It plays all the sounds through the Saffire and there is no "windows" audio card selected. I think it has built in audio on the MB but I have no need or desire to use it, and the computer recognizes the Saffire as the main audio card to use for everything. I went into the windows audio control panel and turned the "computer sounds" way down in level. Life is good.

BMI/NSAI

planetearth
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/06 09:02:34 (permalink)
    I went into the windows audio control panel and turned the "computer sounds" way down in level. Life is good.
    If you're really not hearing the computer sounds anyway, why not set the sound scheme to "no sounds"? That way, Windows won't even load them into valuable RAM when the computer starts.

I haven't loaded the Windows sounds since maybe Windows 98. They were "cute" for a while, but eventually, I had a pretty good idea of when I screwed something up, and I didn't need Windows' "Ha-ha!" to remind me.

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/06 10:43:57 (permalink)
    planetearth

I went into the windows audio control panel and turned the "computer sounds" way down in level. Life is good.
    If you're really not hearing the computer sounds anyway, why not set the sound scheme to "no sounds"? That way, Windows won't even load them into valuable RAM when the computer starts.

I haven't loaded the Windows sounds since maybe Windows 98. They were "cute" for a while, but eventually, I had a pretty good idea of when I screwed something up, and I didn't need Windows' "Ha-ha!" to remind me.

+1

my opinion on leaving a soundblaster for media and using the recording soundcard for recording and mixing:  no, I wouldn't.  I'd remove the SB card and every remnant of its drivers.  put it in your daughters' or sons' or wife's PC (unless they want to record, too!).

for the onboard soundcard.  yeah, I don't really see a problem leaving it on if you want.  but why?  the recording soundcards D/A converters SOUND so much better!  why not listen to your mp3s (that's another rant for another thread) and wave files on your computer with the best soundcard converters you have?  I use my MOTU and my Delta 44 before that as the ONLY soundcard, disabling the onboard card (and I had to remove an SB card from a previous DAW) and I use it exclusively for all sound.  I see no need to use both.  but...to each his own!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/06 12:31:06 (permalink)
    I'll make a note to shut that stuff off..... cause yeah... I agree, I don't need to hear those sounds.  Just the music from the DAW.

BMI/NSAI

johnnyV
    Re:Best "low end" sound card? 2010/10/06 19:30:57 (permalink)
    SO Guitar hacker when you say you have 2 "cards" do you mean 2 PCI cards or a PCI and an onboard card?
    Like I said I think you need not worry about on board cards so much as a PCI card in combo with a real USB or Firewire interface. And maybe 2 PCI cards can also co exist, can't see any point in that unless they offered more ins and outs.
    I do not even install the audio drivers for my MOBO anymore.

Scarlett 6i6

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1