Helpful ReplyBest place for Sonar users from now on?

Author
chris.r
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
2018/12/23 18:48:02 (permalink)

Best place for Sonar users from now on?

New forum looks great for all CakeLab users and this one will be soon closed. What would be the best place now as a knowledge resource and help with issues for all those people who for whatever reason, be it old hardware or individual decision or anything, stay with Sonar platinum or other legacy cakewalk software? Thanks.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/23 19:05:49 (permalink)
Probably using a combination of the new forum, where the majority of users will be; and this place. as a storehouse of deep knowledge. On that note, a better search feature on the old forum would be extremely welcome.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/23 19:34:44 (permalink)
Better yet would be an easy to navigate NEW forum. I know I should not complain for one reason only--it's free.
Well OK. Guess that a reason.
I will only use that forum if I am in a very dire situation...

Euthymia
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/24 00:24:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jyoung60 2018/12/24 02:46:50
My suggestion for anyone on a 64-bit system is to frickin' get over it. Seriously. There have been plenty of people who have tested it for you and the verdict is in: CbB will happily use the extras that came with whatever version of SONAR you had, it will not mess up your installation of SONAR, and it works better than SONAR did. If you do run into any snags with running the new program, it is supported, unlike SONAR.

My kinder suggestion for those on older 32-bit systems is to get busy now while this forum is still up and start your own forum on one of the free services that offer forum hosting. Call it SONAR Legacy or SONAR 32 or something like that. Then promote it here while you still can.

Having said that, CbB is not yet so different from SONAR Artist/Platinum that you even need to mention which one you're using if you want to ask about how to get something done, so just ask on the CbB forum.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/24 03:45:27 (permalink)
Euthymia
My suggestion for anyone on a 64-bit system is to frickin' get over it. Seriously. There have been plenty of people who have tested it for you and the verdict is in: CbB will happily use the extras that came with whatever version of SONAR you had, it will not mess up your installation of SONAR, and it works better than SONAR did. If you do run into any snags with running the new program, it is supported, unlike SONAR.

I understand your point of view and respect it. I would love to get on the BandLab wagon, but without offline activation, I'm dead in the water. My only source of internet is my phone, and my service provider has a strict policy against tethering. I'll still migrate to the new forum with everyone else, but will continue to use Splat, as that's my only option right now.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/24 03:55:00 (permalink)
I suggest moving on to the new forum. There will be a lot of long time users that can help. Plus you will get the latest news on Cakewalk. 

Best
John
SonicExplorer
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 775
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/24 16:58:51 (permalink)
I fail to understand the problem with letting the forum live on for people still using Sonar so they can help each other out.  I highly doubt closing the forum is going to be a motivating factor in making people move to the new CdB product anyway.  So what is to gain by closing off this forum, especially if it is already going to live on in read-only format. 

????

Windows XP 32 bit, Sonar 5 PE, RME Fireface 400
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/24 17:16:25 (permalink)
Leadfoot
Euthymia

I understand your point of view and respect it. I would love to get on the BandLab wagon, but without offline activation, I'm dead in the water. My only source of internet is my phone, and my service provider has a strict policy against tethering. I'll still migrate to the new forum with everyone else, but will continue to use Splat, as that's my only option right now.

I'm not sure if you have issue with the idea that CbB goes through the BL app? I understand some see this as a privacy issue. 
It seems you are saying you have absolutely no internet connections other than your phone. Here's a solution. Activate on a public connection, Starbucks, Public Library, college, church, etc. Once activated you are under no obligation to be online. You may even delete the BL app, though I don't recommend that because you miss the opportunity for updates. Yes you would need to locate your computer temporarily to a friends house or a public network. Small concession IMO.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Leadfoot
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/24 18:22:15 (permalink)
That's a good idea, Tim. I have thought about that before. I've heard that I could also purchase a hotspot and do it that way? Not too familiar with those though.
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/24 20:02:13 (permalink)
Starise
Leadfoot
Euthymia

I'm not sure if you have issue with the idea that CbB goes through the BL app? I understand some see this as a privacy issue. 
It seems you are saying you have absolutely no internet connections other than your phone. Here's a solution. Activate on a public connection, Starbucks, Public Library, college, church, etc. Once activated you are under no obligation to be online. You may even delete the BL app, though I don't recommend that because you miss the opportunity for updates. Yes you would need to locate your computer temporarily to a friends house or a public network. Small concession IMO.

Not a big deal for those on a laptop.  I personally don't use my laptops for much of anything other than a backup solution, and I know many people that have a similar outlook.  

Hauling a "real" computer around only works assuming you have a friend that will let you directly on their network.  
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/24 20:06:56 (permalink)
I don't see that asking any questions about Platinum on the new forum will be a problem. There's barely any difference between Platinum and the Bandlab version plus scook is already active over there and he knows everything there is to know about all things cakewalk, so you'll never be far from the answer you need.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/24 20:16:48 (permalink)
I am just lucky when searching this forum and have decent recall.

Posting questions about old Cakewalk software on the CbB forum is not a problem. It would be nice if BandLab added a general software area where non-CbB related discussions could happen but if they don't the CbB area is the place to go. There may be a few users who push CbB a little too hard. I am an advocate but understand there are reasons for staying with older software. Try not to let CbB advocacy be a problem. Hopeful in time it will be less of an issue.

promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/25 00:10:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Whistlekiller 2018/12/25 17:23:35
Leadfoot
my service provider has a strict policy against tethering.

For a start, I would be ditching that service provider (if you can)

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
John
Forum Host
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/25 08:19:44 (permalink)
I fail to see a problem if you are on this forum I don't see you not being able to be on th new forum however you mange it. Most software now requires some internet access. 

Best
John
Euthymia
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/25 09:47:18 (permalink)
Ooh, man, I feel ya. I know there are parts of rural and semi-rural IN and plenty of other US states (including my own state, CA, the home of Silicon Valley) that are dire when it comes to internet service.

I wonder what the strict policy is? Public shaming?

Leadfoot, if it costs you $30 to go over to Wal-Mart and grab a pre-paid burner phone for the sole purpose of downloading and authorizing Cakewalk, it will seem like a small price to pay for a really nice upgrade!

And to the other folks out there who are able to read this internet forum yet unable to connect their music computer to the internet for the 15 or so minutes it takes to download, install and authorize Cakewalk, that might be your solution, too. Get a burner.

Or if they catch you, tell them that your little brother came over and hooked up your phone to the computer while you weren't looking and downloaded the 550MB Cakewalk installer because he wants to be a rapper and you have already yelled at him but there ain't nothin' you can do about it now. :-)

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
Euthymia
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/25 10:05:02 (permalink)
SonicExplorer
what is to gain by closing off this forum, especially if it is already going to live on in read-only format. 

????

A forum is a database, and any database administrator knows that a read-only database is much easier to maintain and much less likely to become corrupted than a read-write database.

Also, anyone who has ever dealt with the public knows that if you give people any chance to do something the wrong way, enough of them will take that chance that it will make you want to scream and punch the wall. So there would always be people with easily answered questions posting them here, getting no answer, then getting pissed off and ranting about how the people who took over SONAR don't give a crap about bla bla bla, or how they tried Cakewalk but couldn't get help from the seemingly nonexistent userbase yada yada....

And it slows down 32-bit SONAR users from doing what they need to do which is start their own forum on one of the free hosting services.

-Erik
John
Forum Host
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/25 11:55:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jyoung60 2018/12/25 16:14:18
I think we are forgetting that this forum is not free to Bandlab. Plus they really had nothing to do with it and don't know its ins and outs. 

Best
John
Leadfoot
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/25 19:37:24 (permalink)
Euthymia

Leadfoot, if it costs you $30 to go over to Wal-Mart and grab a pre-paid burner phone for the sole purpose of downloading and authorizing Cakewalk, it will seem like a small price to pay for a really nice upgrade!

You have a really good point, Euthymia! Thank you!
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/25 20:14:18 (permalink)

I have no issues with the program CWbyBL. I have both installed and have since the beginning. The only reason I continue to use  Splat is I have no issues with it for me and what I do.
I keep CwBL updated and open it most everyday just to keep things , well, fresh so to speak.
That said, I do prefer this forum (layout, font size, background, etc, etc)

I am sure the new one will change as more folks suggest and point out things that could use improvement. 
Mainly aesthetics, imho. The functionality i have found after some digging is OK.

When more features are added to CWBL that will benefit me and my workflow I will slowly migrate to it exclusively.

Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/27 13:58:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2018/12/28 15:33:40
Can anyone confirm the new forum URL?
I haven't received any emails, and i see lots of posts discussing it but nobody actually identifying it...

[edit] Ignore this, i just saw the "Important Forum Announcement" sticky RIGHT ABOVE THIS POST!
post edited by Slugbaby - 2018/12/27 14:29:28

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
John
Forum Host
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/27 16:15:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Slugbaby 2018/12/27 16:16:47
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/2-cakewalk-by-bandlab-general/

You most likely find me there as well as most of your fellow Sonar users. And soon you wont be able to post here. 

Best
John
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/28 00:25:49 (permalink)
To comment on the rural internet. I live in the bush. Dial up was my internet for 12 years or more. I then bought a SMart Hub which is a Wireless router that uses the Cell network to give you wi Fi in your home. You can take your smart hub with you anywhere your service provider has coverage. The big problem with those is most have a 2 to 5 GB limit per month. ANd they are deadly slow and drop out a lot if you are on the fringes like me. I have a cell booster but still, it was terrible.

I now use a Satellite system which I do believe has coverage all over the world if not for sure Canada and the USA. 
I pay $100 per month for 100 GB of bandwidth. I stream movies and all sorts of stuff and have never gone over. It's not fast but can keep ahead of a You tube streaming unless the weather is super cloudy out. 

Bottom line is everybody does have access to the internet if they want it. 

And I don't see why they would need a forum for old outdated software. Everything that you need to know is already published and easily found using Google. I've typed in the weirdest questions and guess what, There is always an answer and also guess what, they are 99% of the time found on a forum somewhere. 
I'm just learning how to use Vegas Movie studio and every time I'm stumped I just type in my question and pretty soon I have an answer. 
The forum is really a good resource but lets face it,,, the same questions get asked over and over and over. 

I doubt if the old timers would refuse to answer questions about the older versions on the new forum,,, but be warned,, right now the new forum is mostly just that, wait until all the newbies catch on and start asking those same old questions...  

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

StarTekh
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2007
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/28 01:07:16 (permalink)
Welcome to 2019 :   the best option for pro support is :  IRC   Freenode.com   # Cakelab      see you there !

Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/28 13:40:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Just Another Bloke 2018/12/28 14:21:42
For all or any Sonar/Cakewalk/PC questions, just follow where SCook goes....simples.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
tobiaslindahl
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/28 14:47:24 (permalink)
Mesh
For all or any Sonar/Cakewalk/PC questions, just follow where SCook goes....simples.

Yea agreed,  and he is on the new forum so there we go :) 
chris.r
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Best place for Sonar users from now on? 2018/12/28 16:00:43 (permalink)
scook
Posting questions about old Cakewalk software on the CbB forum is not a problem. It would be nice if BandLab added a general software area where non-CbB related discussions could happen but if they don't the CbB area is the place to go. There may be a few users who push CbB a little too hard. I am an advocate but understand there are reasons for staying with older software. Try not to let CbB advocacy be a problem. Hopeful in time it will be less of an issue.

Thanks Steve. I can't wait to upgrade my hardware and jump on a new shiny CakeLab myself but for the moment it's great to know people are still wanting to help in case of some Sonar issues regardless the fact that new forum is CbB oriented. Just need to remember to wear pads on the head to make the first few bashing posts through lol.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1