Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra?

Author
passenger57
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 434
2008/10/23 19:58:08 (permalink)

Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra?

Any recommendations for film scoring / orchestral stuff? I have the M-Audio BX8a which are ok but I tend to get ear fatigue after a couple hours. Would like to have a secondary monitoring system to alleviate that problem. I heard some good things about Blue Sky.
Thanks!
post edited by passenger57 - 2008/10/23 20:01:33

21 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/23 20:32:59 (permalink)
    JBL is considered a film sound standard. That's not to say they sound the best... it's just widely believed they match theater play back systems very well.

Savy producers may know this and be more comfortable if they see some JBLs.

I predict many people will have a differing opinion.

best regards,
    mike

noldar12
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1075
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/23 21:22:29 (permalink)
    How much is your budget? Apart from knowing your budget it is very difficult to make suggestions.

A few comments:

Minimal budget +/- $600, if you have a good amp, consider getting a used pair of B&W 685's, or the like. Many orchestral albums have been mixed on high end B&W's. IMO a good set of "low end" B&W's outperforms most of the budget "studio monitors". To my ears, they had much greater clarity, and a much fuller sound stage.

About $1,000: Adam A7's (consensus overall is that it takes about $1K to get into the "good stuff". Consider Dynaudio, or Genelec as well. Note: I have no personal experience with any of these.

$1,500+: PMC (though $1,500 is really the entry point). No personal experience here either, but these have a strong "drool factor".

For orchestral writing, the value of having a single sub-woofer is debated. Personally, given the traditional orchestral layout, having a pair of full range speakers would be the better choice, as normally the percussion is placed in the back/left (harp and piano on the far left side), while the double bass section is normally on the back/right. For serious orchestral work, having full range speakers is almost a necessity - you need to get down to 35 Hz or so to get the low open E string of the double basses (to say nothing of a 5 string bass that goes down another fourth to the low B).

Ethan Winer has gone on record recently saying that he does not mind large speakers in a small room (the room can be treated). When using small speakers for orchestral work, too much low frequency information is lost before one even gets started.

Note that the B&W speakers mentioned above go down to the low 40's. At least some lower information is preserved. What would best be avoided is a pair of speakers that roll off around 55-60 Hz.

B&W = Bowers and Wilkins
    PMC = Professional Monitor Corporation

<edited 2x to make corrections>
    post edited by noldar12 - 2008/10/23 21:34:31

Jim
    jimusic
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1325
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 13:42:33 (permalink)
    passenger57,

I'm trying the newer Mackie R5s which have lots of range and tons of low end for the low bass notes. In fact, I ended up turning the bass settings down, (as adjustable on the rear).

But the depth is really impressive for both the highs & lows on this entire film score, which covers the complete dynamic range & spectrum.

I've been running hours of orchestra, and am very impressed with the dynamic range, among other things.

They're also quite reasonable, especially for a second set - $350-400/Pair.

3 adjustable settings for lows and highs.

Worth a look!

jimusic
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 14:02:14 (permalink)
    I second noldar12's recommendations.

Excellent choices and very good reasons for choosing them.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 14:02:42 (permalink)
    I not sure how trying to match speakers in a movie theater is going to be all that helpful. I don't view the sound from movies as the best possible anyway but meant to be good for the movie in question. What seems far more important is having surround sound with the THX and Dolby encoders as part of the system. What near field monitors one were to use isn't as important as being able to hear the mix as it will play in that situation. We are forgetting that a set of good near fields will have a flat and extended frequency response. A good sub woofer will add the last bit of low end needed. When dealing with a surround system one would be surprised at just how full all the those monitors are. 5.1 or better will have a huge impact on the sound quality one hears. The more transducers pumping away the better. Just make sure they are all in phase.

Best
    John
    Oaf_Topik
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2105
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 14:10:13 (permalink)
    The monitor that's good for mixing songs, should be good for mixing film music. Monitors are like Cilantro, I might love it, but you might think it's crap. Go to Guitar Center, Sam Ash, and listen to as many monitors as you can. Find the best for you. If the store has a good return policy, you should know in a month or so, if you can live with them.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 14:10:23 (permalink)
    the mackie's are THX certified , the 824's anyway..

BUT you'd need 5 of them + the sub...

lets just say that isn't cheap unless you were certain to get the money back for a few projects. Most music is made for 2.0 or 2.1 setups.. so if you were doing it for film.. thats one thing.. if you were doing the mixing for a film, that's a different area.

noldar12
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 14:36:32 (permalink)
    It is important to remember that writing for orchestra is a different world than writing pop songs. What is often desired in pop writing - pumping bass, loud and louder for example, is generally not wanted in orchestral writing where greater variety is desired. Rather, subtle changes in orchestration and a dynamic range from at least "ff" to "pp" become very important.

If you are serious about heading in that direction, getting a good book on orchestration is essential, in order to get a grasp on what each orchestral instrument does well, along with its limitations. The book by Adler would be one good option. Two examples: writing a "middle C" for flute, and demanding a dynamic of "fff" - a flute simply can't do that as the note will be overblown, just as an oboe can't play that same "middle C" "ppp" - the lowest notes on an oboe tend to be louder and "honk", while its middle register is quite lyrical (note: there are situations where the "honk" can be useful).

Anyway, just some more things to consider.

The monitors that are often recommended for pop music often do not make the best choice for orchestral, hence the above suggestions. One forum that is well worth checking out, is the gear slutz forum. A number of major recording engineers often post there (including Ethan Winer). For me, that site has proved most valuable.

<corrected to fix a poor wording choice>
    post edited by noldar12 - 2008/10/24 14:44:11

Jim
    passenger57
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 16:38:09 (permalink)
    Thank you so much for so many options to look into.
    Yes - around 1,000 budget, but will gladly pay more for quality. Although I eek out living scoring films, I still have my studio stuck in my bedroom, so the acoustics are horrendous and my ears ache so bad after scoring (especially action films) so I am in desperate need of a monitoring system that will help alleviate that a little.
    Oaf_Topik
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 17:57:46 (permalink)
    It sounds like room treatment might be a better option, or a combination of both.
    Malibu1328
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 18:41:06 (permalink)
    No matter what anyone says here - you must decide what's best for your ears.
    Maybe get yourself to a great audio store and listen to YOUR music on their best monitors.
    This is subjective - it's what appeals to your ears as a musician/engineer/producer.
    What do you like to hear in the final mix?
    Personally I like Yamaha NS10's but they are the studio standard in most larger studios.
    That doesn't mean they are God - it means I have found the NS10's have the best response for my ears.
    And the operative word is "My Ears." - not yours.
    Also -- whatever you decide is the best studio monitor over time - stick with that monitor.
    You can't keep jumping all over the place because you'll have no reference point as to what sounds good to your ears.
    I hope some of this makes sense to you (after many gallses of wine) cos it's extremely important for your final mix.
    Enjoy......
    Malibu1328
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 18:43:09 (permalink)
    See I told ya..........
    We all know glasses is spelled.........nevermind.
    passenger57
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 19:19:54 (permalink)
    Any recommendations for room treatment? Just basic stuff would be very helpful - its just a small 15X30 foot room with curtains and car alarms going off constantly in the alley - hehe
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 19:22:52 (permalink)
    I know everyone is going to laugh at this one, but I built my 1st studio on a shoe string budget and used Radio Shack Minima 7's. I loved them for one reason....NO EAR FATIGUE. I have a couple of different sets of monitors now, but when I am composing for long hours I still use them. 5 or 6 years ago one of them blew a speaker (after 20 years of HEAVY use) and I had to relpace the set and they now have the RCA label on them.

The Yamaha NS10s are the standard, but I have had more than one Professional mixer say that I am not crazy and that there are others who use the Radio Shack speakers also. They are very inexpensive and have decent clarity and frequency response at low levels.

I believe ear fatigue is caused by bass frequencies bouncing around so maybe you can treat your room for that. As a matter of necessity, my basement studio had to have the corners on one side rounded. I noticed that it cut down on room noise and ear fatigue so much I did the same to the other 2 corners. So try treating the corners of your studio also.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 19:23:25 (permalink)
    Corning 703 or 705 is the best. get some 2 by 4's and wrap them with any burlap of any color of your choice and Wah Lah, You have the most awsome room treatment ever. You can even double them up for bass traps also. They have kits to make your own at ready acoustics, i think. i made my own and it was easy and cost 50% less and its 150% better than aurlex
    Cj
    hers a thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1528005
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2008/10/24 19:27:40

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Oaf_Topik
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 19:33:34 (permalink)
    Any recommendations for room treatment? Just basic stuff would be very helpful - its just a small 15X30 foot room with curtains and car alarms going off constantly in the alley - hehe

What CJay said.
    post edited by Oaf_Topik - 2008/10/24 19:37:08
    noldar12
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 19:46:14 (permalink)
    Check the Gear Slutz forums for many different discussions on room treatment options. One firm that makes reasonably priced finished panels (using Owens Corning) is GIK Accoustics. They also have some good tutorials on their site.
    post edited by noldar12 - 2008/10/24 19:51:15

Jim
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/24 20:55:01 (permalink)
    See, I mentioned to you that people would disagree with my JBL remarks. :-)

But here's the deal. I'm taking you at face value... you're composing for film. The mention of THX certification is a great idea but before you go about looking at everything with a THX certification do your self a favor and Google JBL 4412.

Those speakers were the defacto standard for film sound mixing for a long long time. The reason is that they are popularly believed to best match the sound of a real theater presentation. Now that THX certification is pertinent the new JBL LSR series (that's what I use) is very popular with film oriented mixers because they feel that's the logical evolutionary step from the old 4410s and 4412s (which I believe are still available as well).

Many small town theaters have marginal sound, but the few really top notch theaters in the country are considered the only ideal place to listen to a movie. Very few people prioritize the DVD mix until it's time to cash out the film on DVD distro. No one (well of course I can't say that's a fact... but I'm going to say it anyways) thinks ANYONE with a home theater has the system set properly. (Ok Bill Gates and Steve Jobs do... but no one else) Most of the focus remains on achieving near perfection at the theater and that's why speakers that sound similar to the theater are thought to be good choice.

Many producers, even those who not know sound technology, know that JBL is a *standard*.

I can tell you this, when people from L.A. fly across the country to work in my colleagues local THX certified studio for film sound mixing they appreciate seeing the LSR's they are familiar with... they wouldn't care if you also have some huge soffit mounts or the latest high end Euro bookshelf system to drool over. They enjoy the familiarity of the JBL's... warts and all. (JBLs don't have the smoothest tweeter sound... especially when compared to audiophile styled monitors... but no full size theater speaker system has a smooth tweeter either.)

If you're working with Film people this might be something to consider... and despite the fact that you have many great choices as exhibited by the above suggestions you can not go wrong with something from the JBL professional line. There is a very good reason they are considered a *standard*.

And again, I predict that many people will disagree.

all the best,
    mike

edit to change:

"See, I mentioned you people would disagree with my JBL remarks."

to

"See, I mentioned to you that people would disagree with my JBL remarks."

because the "you" was a compositional typo that completely changes the "attitude" of that sentence. I welcome disagreement and really regret having appeared to be pointing fingers at anyone in particular.
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/10/25 09:24:27

noldar12
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/25 00:25:19 (permalink)
    Mike, I was emphasizing "/ orchestra" not "film scoring /".

Jim
    bunnyfluffer
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/25 03:53:00 (permalink)
    looking at these interview videos, you can see what these guys are using:

Teddy Shapiro - JBL's
    http://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=1056

Charlie Clouser - Dynaudio
    http://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=1068

Mark Isham - M-Audio (yes, M-Audio BX8A)
    http://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=1096

David Newman - Adam
    http://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=1008

... and more here...
    http://www.myspace.com/lakeshorescores

PS: and to back up mike here, every sound/video post room in LA I walk into is using JBL LSR 4328's in the suite...

papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Best studio monitors for film scoring / orchestra? 2008/10/25 06:00:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jimbo 88

I believe ear fatigue is caused by bass frequencies bouncing around so maybe you can treat your room for that.

Ear fatigue is caused by a number of factors...Mid-High frequency harshness is more of a culprit than bass frequencies.

I agree that the OP should apply some room treatment (considering the size of the room--15'x30' as he stated). That is not, IMO, a "small room"...In fact, it's close to what I would consider a great starting point for a mixing/mastering situation. However, without knowing how his equipment is situated and the location of windows and doors, those dimensions actually mean nothing more than opening the doors to design alternatives. Unless I missed it, ceiling height was omitted. That's a critical factor.

To the OP:

I agree with mike_mccue about the JBL LSR series as a "statement making" installation. I could also argue that Genelec (or another "hot item of the day") systems are great. You have to determine what factors are contributing to the "ear fatigue" you're experiencing...Are you always listening at 'loud' levels? Have you checked the SPL at your listening position?

You state you "eek out a living scoring films" but you're doing so in a bedroom. You're going to have to make some concessions...Either it's a bedroom or it's a studio. Scoring for film is much more complicated than recording a pop single. As I'm sure you know, every sound component of the film (footsteps, crashes, doorbells ringing, gunshots, heavy sighs, etc.,) must be considered.

Your room dimensions have the potential to create a great listening environment. Take a step back and decide how far you want to go with your endeavors...New monitors aren't necessarily the answer...

Regards,
    Papa
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1