Best synth to use for cinematic work

Author
OldDog
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 113
2011/01/12 16:13:31 (permalink)

Best synth to use for cinematic work

I am pretty new to synths as a whole having played bass and guitar most of my life and using synths when I could find a preset I liked.  I have moved from playing in a band toward doing sound tracks for short movies that friends are making and want to continue to expand my horizons in that direction. 

I stumbled upon the Evolve Mutations that Native Instruments carries and find the sounds it produces quite interesting.  However before I invest in that tool I was wondering if it is possible to program one of the synths I have with X1 Pro to give me the same type of sounds?
Again I am new at creating sounds and am working my way through a set of "lessons" on Subtrative Synths and at this point I am not sure if that will even get me where I want to go.  Mainly I am interested in the grainy, abstract, atonal stuff I was hearing.  The stuff which has kind of an Industrial / Horror vibe to it.
Thanks for any direction anyone can give me.
-Harry
post edited by OldDog - 2011/01/12 16:14:53

You can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes a little longer!

Q9550 overclocked to 3 ghz
8 gig DDR3 ram
Intel Extreme motherboard
CPU & GPU liquid cooled

9 Replies Related Threads

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Best synth to use for cinematic work 2011/01/12 17:25:29 (permalink)
    While "cinematic work" could mean a lot of different things, here's a suggestion.  Check out Camel Audio's Alchemy.  It's a knockout synth with respect to the rich variety of sounds it can make.  My biggest criticism is that far too many of the sounds (bundled or third party) are suitable for soundscapes/soundtracks (espically if you're doing SF/thriller/suspense/horror accompanyment) but less so for plain old music.

I have no experience with the Evolve synth, so I can't offer any comparisons on that front.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Best synth to use for cinematic work 2011/01/12 21:17:54 (permalink)
    alchemy.. not really, it all depends on the music your making.  some are aimed at a specific market.. things like psy-trance / minimal stuff, but I use it as drones in some of the stuff i do.

old dog.. you tried z3ta / rapture LE ? (get muz3um for rapture also.. it's free)

and doing some realtime fx.. in the synths..

there is no "best synth" per-say .. it's about messing with the sound to make them more unit.. even if it's just layering 2 pads etc.. and eq'ing them to sound like 1

post edited by Fog - 2011/01/12 21:21:07
    Rooftree
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re:Best synth to use for cinematic work 2011/01/12 21:33:48 (permalink)
    Take a look at the "Dimensions" sounds in DimPro.  There are a lot of evolving, textured sounds in there.

Sonar X2 Producer : Win 7 Pro 64 bit : i7-930 : 6GB RAM : Edirol UA-25EX
    DimPro : Minimoog V : Lounge Lizard
    Prophet 08 : Juno-60 : Odyssey : CS-30 : TR-606 : Korg 01W
    OldDog
    Re:Best synth to use for cinematic work 2011/01/12 21:50:36 (permalink)
    Thanks all,  I spent a few hours this evening playing with the Rapture, Z3TA, and a demo version of Absynth.  All three seem quite expansive so this will take me a while.

The interface in Absynth was pretty easy to navigate, it kind of made sense to me.  Z3TA seems to be really deep, and I have to play a bunch more with Rapture.  I willbe sure to check out the DimPro patches as well.

Well I love a challenge this should be fun.
    -H

8 gig DDR3 ram
    CPU & GPU liquid cooled
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Best synth to use for cinematic work 2011/01/13 09:43:06 (permalink)
    Old Dog... synths for cinematic work....

If you're doing this for fun, the Dimpro series and TTS will suffice.  If you are loooking to be competative at the professional levels, the least I would recommend is the Native Instruments line. A good starting place there is Komplete 7. It has a number of different synths included and thousands of samples, patches, and sounds.... well worth the money and it is considered to be a professional level synth for this type of work.

Also, if you have the budget, have a look at the East West collection of sounds.... totally amazing stuff from EWQL ... you can easily spend thousands with them on their various sample libraries.... but the sounds are among the best out there.

There are some other higher end libraries that are thousands each... but they are out of my price range so I don't even consider them..... but if you are doing feature movies soundtracks.... they are a must buy item.

All things considered, you should be able to get a decent sample library for easily under $1k (with change left over) to get started with realistic, quality string & horn samples....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    OldDog
    Re:Best synth to use for cinematic work 2011/01/13 10:20:25 (permalink)
    GH,

I am getting into this as a hobby / way to stay in music and then to see if I can build my chops to the point where I could score some full length, local, independant films.  All I've done so far is to contribute a few tracks based on traditional R&R instruments for projects that friends are doing.  What I want to get into is more complete scores based around abstract / ambiant soundscapes.  I don't see myself doing Hollywood work in this lifetime!

Thanks for the leads. 

If anyone has any sites to suggest for learning more on how to create and work with sounds for cinema I would appreciate that as well.  I am working through a series that was published in SoundOnSound right now, but am always looking for more.

Best, -H

8 gig DDR3 ram
    CPU & GPU liquid cooled
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Best synth to use for cinematic work 2011/01/13 21:53:50 (permalink)
    well the easist thing is to layer a few things.. and have them trigger at the same time.. I use Kore for that (the full version)

there are lots of free things you can use though thinking about it.. do you ever go onto kvr ?

http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/download.html

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Best synth to use for cinematic work 2011/01/14 08:11:21 (permalink)
    Old Dog....  I understand completely.

I would suggest the lower priced DimLE or Pro with GPO to get started with some decent samples.

Also, listen and dissect the music of that genre..... buy a few soundtrack CD's from the films where you really like the music.

Also ... go to The Composer's Forum , sign up, and hang out.... listen to the music there and learn from the guys that write that sort of music. We have a few here that specialize in soundtrack/trailer music.... Ron is one of them.... he posts music in the songs forum from time to time, and is very adept at his craft. Ron's site

Have fun with it, and never discount the possibility of writing professionally "in this lifetime".... dreams do come true.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/01/14 08:13:07

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    OldDog
    Re:Best synth to use for cinematic work 2011/01/14 10:02:51 (permalink)
    Thanks folks,

I appreciate the links and will check them out this weekend. 

Best regards, Harry

8 gig DDR3 ram
    CPU & GPU liquid cooled
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1