Best way to conserve CPU usage with midi instruments.

Author
jlagana2002
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
2010/08/13 10:42:36 (permalink)

Best way to conserve CPU usage with midi instruments.

Hi,

I have many midi instruments open in my project, and they all seem to compete and I see all the levels moving around when I play other instrument tracks with my midi keyboard controller. This freezes my project at times and I have to delete ones not in use. Just muting them is not an option either.

For me, I need to leave these tracks assigned as not to lose the midi/ instrument connection sound assignment. This way I can edit the midi up to the end. Since I have only 1 midi keyboard controller, I was wondering, is there a better way to keep them working and assigned to an instrument?

Would just clicking Freeze Track stop the midi instruments from competing with one another (and stop cpu consumption), so I can use them on the fly?

Would there be an advantage to an immediate bouncing of the midi track ? Or leave them as midi until the end of the project ? Then bounce at the end ?
Thanks,
post edited by jlagana2002 - 2010/08/13 10:44:25

Joe

9 Replies Related Threads

Daylaa
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:Best way to conserve CPU usage with midi instruments. 2010/08/13 11:10:12 (permalink)
    I sometimes freeze tracks if i know i can leave them alone for a while - this helps alot.
    However i personally don't 'immediately bounce' as that often as this really limits you if you change your mind on a certain sound.

(Sometimes, if the sound isn't going to be 'apparent' in the mix, i might immediately bounce it...but then i'm always changing my mind)

What you can do is make 2 copies of a piece of audio - keep one, bounce it down immediately once you're happy with it like you said - but archive the other one in its original state, and place it in a track folder. This way if you want to change the sound, you can access it again easily.

Maybe this isn't good practise - i'm sure someone will quickly tell me if i'm wrong!

Hope this helps.

Sonar X3 Producer
    Rain Computer's Nimbus Z2 I7 Processor
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192
    M Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe's

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

I am 'I Woke a Giant' Hear my stuff at:
    https://soundcloud.com/i-woke-a-giant
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Best way to conserve CPU usage with midi instruments. 2010/08/13 11:15:25 (permalink)
    that's what Freezing is for.  you can always unfreeze if you need to adjust the MIDI again after working with the project for a while.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jlagana2002
    Re:Best way to conserve CPU usage with midi instruments. 2010/08/13 11:17:07 (permalink)
    Thanks Daylaa, This definitely helps. So if i freeze a midi track, its not going to use up my cpu even though I have many midi instruments assigned to those frozen tracks. It should work this way right.

I am glad to hear that's what you do. I was thinking that was the best way. Then I hear people saying about the immediate bounce thing, but I am like you, I change my mind alot when it comes to recording.

Thanks,

Joe
    jlagana2002
    Re:Best way to conserve CPU usage with midi instruments. 2010/08/13 11:19:22 (permalink)
    Beagle

that's what Freezing is for.  you can always unfreeze if you need to adjust the MIDI again after working with the project for a while.

Beagle, there are 2 types of freezing. I am just talking about clicking the FREEZE TRACK icon on the actual track in Home Studio. Are you talking about the freezing that bounces midi to audio while recording in Sonar ?

Joe
    Beagle
    Re:Best way to conserve CPU usage with midi instruments. 2010/08/13 11:23:08 (permalink)
    well, there's not really 2 types of freezing, there's "Freezing" and then there's "Bounce to Tracks" - those are similar but separate functions with separate names.

I will use Bounce to Tracks but only when I am certain that I'm completely finished with editing the MIDI for that track.  otherwise I use the freeze function for reducing CPU overhead.

Daylaa
    Re:Best way to conserve CPU usage with midi instruments. 2010/08/13 11:24:50 (permalink)
    Beagle

Yeah Beagle is talking about the Freeze track icon - just remember to un freeze a track when you want to edit it or chop it around. I am always forgetting to thaw out the track - any changes i make are then lost when it's back to being MIDI.

Sonar X3 Producer
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

jlagana2002
    Re:Best way to conserve CPU usage with midi instruments. 2010/08/13 11:28:32 (permalink)
    Beagle

well, there's not really 2 types of freezing, there's "Freezing" and then there's "Bounce to Tracks" - those are similar but separate functions with separate names.

I will use Bounce to Tracks but only when I am certain that I'm completely finished with editing the MIDI for that track.  otherwise I use the freeze function for reducing CPU overhead.

Thanks Daylaa & Beagle ! And just changing the instrument in my Synth Rack is all I need to do to acheive different sounds, once my Midi is mapped right ?

Joe
    Daylaa
    Re:Best way to conserve CPU usage with midi instruments. 2010/08/13 11:30:45 (permalink)
    I'll let Beagle take this one...

Sonar X3 Producer
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

Beagle
    Re:Best way to conserve CPU usage with midi instruments. 2010/08/13 11:37:56 (permalink)
    jlagana2002

Beagle

Thanks Daylaa & Beagle ! And just changing the instrument in my Synth Rack is all I need to do to acheive different sounds, once my Midi is mapped right ?

no, you need to change the OUTPUT, BANK, CHANNEL and PATCH on the MIDI track's properties.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1