Best way to learn rapture?

Author
aiken
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 113
2007/06/17 18:20:18 (permalink)

Best way to learn rapture?

I'm loving rapture's sounds and want to start programming it, but I'm at a loss. I can twiddle knobs with the best of them, but is there any kind of zero-to-master tutorial book/program/etc? I'm willing to spend the time, but there's got to be a better way than trial and error.

Thanks
-b

20 Replies Related Threads

Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/17 18:27:20 (permalink)
    Buy Simon Cann's "Cakewalk Synthesizers: From Presets to Power User" book.
    Opus
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/17 20:18:10 (permalink)
    /\
    l l
    Yep
    one great book
    Put's the entire midi thing in laymans terms,great tutorials
    I understand what the buttons and knobs are for
    post edited by Opus - 2007/06/17 20:23:15
    aiken
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/17 20:22:06 (permalink)
    Awesome -- thanks for the speedy responses! I have it arriving tomorrow.

-b
    muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/20 17:41:57 (permalink)
    Yep Simon's book is excellent. I've also learned loads from b_rocks patches.

BTW b I'd be interested to see what you come up with using the new Galbanum waveforms

aiken
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/20 20:08:47 (permalink)
    Yep. That book rocked. I can now say that I mostly understand Rapture. Wow. It's pretty easy to kill hours and hours with various bleeps and bloops, though.

Cheers
    -b
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/21 03:15:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: aiken

Yep. That book rocked. I can now say that I mostly understand Rapture. Wow. It's pretty easy to kill hours and hours with various bleeps and bloops, though.

Cheers
    -b

So you learned it inside and out in one day? Pretty impressive, LOL.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    aiken
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/21 19:48:34 (permalink)
    Hey, it's not like it was my first synth. It's an awesome instrument, but it's not conceptually all that different from the Juno 106 that I learned on. Most of the work is in figuring out what options and routing are available, and how to get the UI to do 'em.

Now, writing good sounds will take a while longer, but for sheer understanding of what Rapture can do and signal flow, surely it shouldn't take *more* than a day!

-b
    post edited by aiken - 2007/06/21 19:54:27
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/21 19:54:06 (permalink)
    it's not conceptually all that different from the Juno 106 that I learned on. Most of the work is in figuring out what options and routing are available, and how to get the UI to do 'em.
    Agreed. You may be interested in exploring some of the nuance now. [Rapture section: P5 Wiki].
    BTW b I'd be interested to see what you come up with using the new Galbanum waveforms
    This b, muso? I dove into that hard in the beginning, and lost everything in a system meltdown. Then life got extremely busy. But thank you for the much-needed reminder. What's a good number of presets to start with? 32? 64? 128 is the traditional 'bank' size ...
    post edited by b rock - 2007/06/21 20:02:37
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/21 21:10:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

What's a good number of presets to start with? 32? 64? 128 is the traditional 'bank' size ...

Numbered 0..127 or 1..128?
    Nick P
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/22 02:15:51 (permalink)

Hey, it's not like it was my first synth. It's an awesome instrument, but it's not conceptually all that different from the Juno 106 that I learned on. Most of the work is in figuring out what options and routing are available, and how to get the UI to do 'em.

Now, writing good sounds will take a while longer, but for sheer understanding of what Rapture can do and signal flow, surely it shouldn't take *more* than a day!

-b

Sorry, not buying it. I've been around since the thing was released and I've seen B Rock spend many hours probing its inner depths. It's a lot deeper than a one-day synth. And I own a Juno 106 and learned on a Prophet 5. If you're talking about basic sound editing, yes. But when you get into all of the modulation possibilities and using the step gens, I think it might take more than a day or two.

Not trying to diss you or anything. Have fun with it. When you're ready to go deeper, check out B Rock's tutorials and patches.

muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/22 04:49:55 (permalink)
    Yep that b.

32 sounds fine Tom, we'll get em quicker

aiken
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/22 20:53:35 (permalink)
    I think you're taking offense on false pretenses, Nick P. I'm not claiming to have "mastered" Rapture, and I have no doubt that my sounds will take years to mature. It's an incredibly powerful synth. All I'm saying is that I ran through what Cann's book offered and feel like I have a grip on Rapture's capabilities. Surely step generators aren't that hard to understand? Likewise with the envelops, DSP routing, etc? That stuff may be difficult to use well, and producing good sounds is an entirely different thing from understanding how a synth works, but FWIW, yeah, it isn't that hard to understand how Rapture works. Sorry if that soudns snotty; I'm just surprised that anyone would think it would take more than a day of work to get it.

And, hey, it's possible that Rapture has more advanced features that aren't documented in Cann's otherwise very good book. So far, though, the book seems pretty complete and the synth seems pretty understandable.

Sorry to give umbrage!

-b
    Nick P
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/22 21:22:10 (permalink)

Sorry if that soudns snotty; I'm just surprised that anyone would think it would take more than a day of work to get it.

LOL. Right, then. Let us know when your Rapture programming book is coming out. I'm sure BRock, Rene, Brandon, and some of the others will be able to learn lots from your fast-track methods of mastering this obviously unsophisticated synth.

aiken
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/23 03:18:36 (permalink)
    I'm not claiming to have "mastered" Rapture, and I have no doubt that my sounds will take years to mature. It's an incredibly powerful synth.

your fast-track methods of mastering this obviously unsophisticated synth

Ah, I get it. You're one of those people who puts words in other peoples' mouths so you have justification to be angry and condescending. Cool enough. Hope you find peace at some point. Until then, into the ignore bin with you.

-b
    post edited by aiken - 2007/06/23 03:23:03
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/23 15:34:11 (permalink)
    I agree with you, Aiken, the components and block structure of Rapture (or Dim Pro) are not difficult concepts--especially if you are familiar with general synthesizer technologies. And I also agree that understanding the parts is not the same thing as being able to create masterpieces with it in one day. Creative and solid sound designing on Rapture/DimPro is something that will take far more time and practice than studying the building blocks of the synth and reading its manual.

Cheers,

Bob
    Nick P
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/24 06:44:13 (permalink)

I'm not claiming to have "mastered" Rapture, and I have no doubt that my sounds will take years to mature. It's an incredibly powerful synth.

your fast-track methods of mastering this obviously unsophisticated synth

Ah, I get it. You're one of those people who puts words in other peoples' mouths so you have justification to be angry and condescending. Cool enough. Hope you find peace at some point. Until then, into the ignore bin with you.

-b

And likewise with your pretentious ‘tude, dude. I've been around here long enough to see how long it takes serious users to master this technology, and I can assure you it's more than "a day", LOL.

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/24 07:04:42 (permalink)
    I don't understand your problem with aiken, Nick...he hasn't claimed to have mastered Rapture, just to have read the appropriate parts in the book and understood what each part of Rapture does. This is an entire world away from having mastered it and being able to make brilliant sounds, in much the same way that knowing what all parts of a host sequencer do does not suddenly mean you are able to make brilliant tracks with it. You keep claiming that he says he has 'mastered' Rapture, yet the only person making that claim about aiken is you...he himself has not claimed that and in fact, has done the opposite. What exactly has he done to offend you?
    Nick P
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/24 23:29:50 (permalink)
    Exerpt from thread so far:

"Aiken: I'm loving rapture's sounds and want to start programming it, but I'm at a loss. I can twiddle knobs with the best of them, but is there any kind of zero-to-master tutorial book/program/etc? I'm willing to spend the time, but there's got to be a better way than trial and error.

Frank Pro Sounds: Buy Simon Cann's "Cakewalk Synthesizers: From Presets to Power User" book.

Aiken: Awesome -- thanks for the speedy responses! I have it arriving tomorrow.

Aiken: Yep. That book rocked. I can now say that I mostly understand Rapture. Wow. It's pretty easy to kill hours and hours with various bleeps and bloops, though.

Nick P: So you learned it inside and out in one day? Pretty impressive, LOL.

Aiken: Hey, it's not like it was my first synth. It's an awesome instrument, but it's not conceptually all that different from the Juno 106 that I learned on. Most of the work is in figuring out what options and routing are available, and how to get the UI to do 'em. Now, writing good sounds will take a while longer, but for sheer understanding of what Rapture can do and signal flow, surely it shouldn't take *more* than a day!

Nick P: Sorry, not buying it. I've been around since the thing was released and I've seen B Rock spend many hours probing its inner depths. It's a lot deeper than a one-day synth. And I own a Juno 106 and learned on a Prophet 5. If you're talking about basic sound editing, yes. But when you get into all of the modulation possibilities and using the step gens, I think it might take more than a day or two. Not trying to diss you or anything. Have fun with it. When you're ready to go deeper, check out B Rock's tutorials and patches.

Aiken: I think you're taking offense on false pretenses, Nick P. I'm not claiming to have "mastered" Rapture, and I have no doubt that my sounds will take years to mature. It's an incredibly powerful synth. All I'm saying is that I ran through what Cann's book offered and feel like I have a grip on Rapture's capabilities. Surely step generators aren't that hard to understand? Likewise with the envelops, DSP routing, etc? That stuff may be difficult to use well, and producing good sounds is an entirely different thing from understanding how a synth works, but FWIW, yeah, it isn't that hard to understand how Rapture works. Sorry if that soudns snotty; I'm just surprised that anyone would think it would take more than a day of work to get it. And, hey, it's possible that Rapture has more advanced features that aren't documented in Cann's otherwise very good book. So far, though, the book seems pretty complete and the synth seems pretty understandable.

Nick P: LOL. Right, then. Let us know when your Rapture programming book is coming out. I'm sure BRock, Rene, Brandon, and some of the others will be able to learn lots from your fast-track methods of mastering this obviously unsophisticated synth.

Aiken: Ah, I get it. You're one of those people who puts words in other peoples' mouths so you have justification to be angry and condescending. Cool enough. Hope you find peace at some point. Until then, into the ignore bin with you.

Nick P: And likewise with your pretentious ‘tude, dude. I've been around here long enough to see how long it takes serious users to master this technology, and I can assure you it's more than "a day", LOL."

Selected quotes from Aiken:

1) "Awesome -- thanks for the speedy responses! I have it [the book] arriving tomorrow. Yep. That book rocked. I can now say that I mostly understand Rapture."
    2) "...it's not conceptually all that different from the Juno 106"
    3) "...but for sheer understanding of what Rapture can do and signal flow, surely it shouldn't take *more* than a day!"
    4) "...Surely step generators aren't that hard to understand? Likewise with the envelops, DSP routing, etc? That stuff may be difficult to use well, and producing good sounds is an entirely different thing from understanding how a synth works, but FWIW, yeah, it isn't that hard to understand how Rapture works."
    5) "I'm just surprised that anyone would think it would take more than a day of work to get it."

Why doesn't this user present us with a pallette of 20 or 30 of his best Rapture sounds. Let's see how they stand up to B Rock's work. Then we can see just how well he knows Rapture. To say that Rapture is anything like a Juno-106 (of which I am looking at a real one as we speak) is just ignorant.
    post edited by Nick P - 2007/06/24 23:35:43

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/25 02:10:52 (permalink)
    I don't know why you reposted most of this thread, Nick, I have read it. But despite doing that, you still didn't manage to show where aiken claimed to have mastered it, just that he understands what Rapture can do and it's signal flow...and, as I said in my previous post, knowing the signal flow and what the various parts of Rapture do is a world away from being able to program great sounds.
    Nick P
    RE: Best way to learn rapture? 2007/06/25 05:11:28 (permalink)
    Okay, I'm dropping it anyway. Once and a while that kind of cockiness just rubs me the wrong way for whatever reason.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1