Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original

Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2018/09/25 00:46:31 (permalink)

Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original

Some of you have already heard this in a recent appeal for help in the vocal track.  I got everything about as clean as I can get it.
It's a melancholy jazz/blues type ballad.  I had "This Masquerade" by George Benson (Leon Russell composed) in mind for the general feeling, but it's all mine.  It uses Toontrack EZ Drummer & EZ Keys, Native Instruments Session Strings Pro, Spectrasonics Trilian Bass Module (acoustic bass sound) and Chinese Dizi flute a the end.  I also used Scaler by Plugin Boutique to help me with the chord progression.

Enjoy!
https://johnbowen.bandcamp.com/track/beyond-the-writing-on-the-wall

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007

12 Replies Related Threads

daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/09/25 15:56:21 (permalink)
    Hi John - hope you are well.
    very Jazzy.
    Mix etc sounds good here and vocals sound clean and clear to me.
    If you want to PM me, I'll certainly tell you my vocal chain (be warned, it's very convoluted) - there's no expensive gear or secrets in my locker :)
    Johnbee58
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/09/27 10:12:33 (permalink)
    Thanks daryl.  I'll send you a PM soon!

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
    NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
    Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/09/28 03:12:36 (permalink)
    Your songs are always very heartfelt, and I enjoy your lyrics so much!

Bill

PS, a tad of chorusing helps my voice sometimes.
    Johnbee58
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/09/28 19:49:34 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Your songs are always very heartfelt, and I enjoy your lyrics so much!

Bill

PS, a tad of chorusing helps my voice sometimes.

Thanks so much, Bill!

JB

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/09/30 05:01:42 (permalink)
    Hi John ,
    The chord changes and music are pretty sophisticated and go to some real nice places harmonically and rhythmically .
    The lyrics are well written and a good deal of the melodic content goes to places I never would have thought of myself
    I think that whomever you wrote this song about must have hurt you pretty bad ....
    I hope you can stay with your tune and dial it in to your creative satisfaction .

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/10/01 23:46:15 (permalink)
    see

i remebre you

mix up those vocals

what are you saying if i can't hear you

mosstly you are a musical savant

but if the wind blows your sails then you must unfurl them

right

ok

this is cool, push it out of there homey
    Johnbee58
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/10/02 02:47:49 (permalink)
    Jesse Screed
    see

i remebre you

mix up those vocals

what are you saying if i can't hear you

mosstly you are a musical savant

but if the wind blows your sails then you must unfurl them

right

ok

this is cool, push it out of there homey

OK.  Thanks.
    Thanks to you too, Kenny.

John B.

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/10/07 23:26:22 (permalink)
    Again, Most Improved Forum Member of the year.

Your tune has some jazz and that coolness factor. Chord changes are pretty darn inventive. Kudos to your writing chops.

I would recommend considering doubling your vocal. Also, have you checked out some Fred Firth? His voice is in your same register, and you might enjoy listening how he processes it. YOu might some throw some bgv's in there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFCML8N4fZE  "Some Clouds Don't Have a Silver Lining"

That said, he did this on a four-track portastudio, so ymmv.  :)

again, very nice tune!
    cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Johnbee58
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/10/08 02:37:28 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    Again, Most Improved Forum Member of the year.

Your tune has some jazz and that coolness factor. Chord changes are pretty darn inventive. Kudos to your writing chops.

I would recommend considering doubling your vocal. Also, have you checked out some Fred Firth? His voice is in your same register, and you might enjoy listening how he processes it. YOu might some throw some bgv's in there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFCML8N4fZE  "Some Clouds Don't Have a Silver Lining"

That said, he did this on a four-track portastudio, so ymmv.  :)

again, very nice tune!
    cheers,
    -Tom

I'll check that out.  Thanks.  As far as doubling, I was considering it but I've used doubling on so many things lately that I just wanted to get away from it for a bit.  As I said in the initial post, I was thinking along the line of George Benson, vocal wise (without the scat, though ).

JB

Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/10/08 23:52:44 (permalink)
    still digging this
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/10/09 00:25:48 (permalink)
    Ditto to the comments.  Very nice lyrics, inventive chord changes, and a nice jazz feel to this number.
    Nice work John B.
    Johnbee58
    Re: Beyond the Writing on the Wall-Original 2018/10/15 11:54:34 (permalink)
    Thanks so much, JS and FJ

JB

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1