Billy and Help

Author
jf6120
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2005/03/18 10:02:19 (permalink)

Billy and Help

Here are two more I just wrapped up. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

PEACE

Billy

Help

5 Replies Related Threads

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Billy and Help 2005/03/18 13:08:54 (permalink)
    Jeff,
    I really like this tunes. Biggest issue is the mud in the mixes, especially Help.
    I suggest taking an hour and reading through Chaz's Mix Notes.

Yeah, I really like Billy. It kind of has a Pearl Jam Jeremy feel. Cool tune.
    DSomething
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: Billy and Help 2005/03/18 15:58:51 (permalink)
    Listened to Billy.

Wow, what a cool prechorus! Reminds me of "Days of the New". I like the mix in this song. I don't hear anything too muddy. I like the use of acoustic strums with the light distortion in the verses. The singer's voice is very pleasant to the ear. Damn, that prechorus is just way friggin' cool!

Damn, who's singing???? Can I borrow him? For a few tracks? Maybe? Please? I'm asking nicely damn it!

You should upload this to Garageband. I think it would do well. Great song!
    jf6120
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Billy and Help 2005/03/18 16:17:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for comments guys. I agree about the muddiness in Help. It's the guitars. I'm having a difficult time getting them to sit in the mix and not overlap with the other instruments. I will continue to tweak.

Thanks also for the compliments on Billy. We are getting a lot of good feedback on that song. And I will pass on to Mitch that you like his vocals.

PEACE

rectifierband.com
    Abbey
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Billy and Help 2005/03/18 16:49:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jf6120

Thanks for comments guys. I agree about the muddiness in Help. It's the guitars. I'm having a difficult time getting them to sit in the mix and not overlap with the other instruments. I will continue to tweak.

Thanks also for the compliments on Billy. We are getting a lot of good feedback on that song. And I will pass on to Mitch that you like his vocals.

PEACE

Scott,

I agree with DSomething (...or other...just teasing D) This is powerful
    SoftShell
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Billy and Help 2005/03/18 18:25:47 (permalink)
    Hey
    Listened to "Billy". Pretty much agreed w/ the rest. Really Powerful (as Abbey said).

Two things that might give the Intro more punch

1. Boost the snare a bunch. Make sure it's got enough of the
    ambience/ 'verb thing going on. Then when the Voc comes in put it
    back where it's at now.
    2. Love the Intro but cut those Gtrs (right channel lead particularly) back
    a bit after the singer comes in. It's fighting with him. Prolly cut the EQ
    a couple dB as well, say ca 3k. Lotsa times I just put the intro guitar(s)
    on it's/ their own track(s). Give 'em a little more gain and ballsier EQ
    and they stand out for the Intro. When the Vox come in gts go on
    seperate tracks w/ less gain and EQ set to scoop out around the vocal.
    You could do the same thing on a single track with envelopes but to me
    it's usually easier and less cluttered.

Same thing (steps 1&2) for any vamps such as at 1:15. Bring out the snare and gts, then put 'em back when the verse kicks in.
    One more thing. I've been accused of this same thing many times in the past { usually by deaf guys }. Now especially for this type toon I prefer to bury the vox a tad and I mean _A TAD_. This kinda music you want the listener to work, just a little bit IMHO. BUT, I really had a hard time making out ANY lyrics. Might be my POS_crap cheapo compooter speakers, but I'd say the Vocal is too buried. Picked up a word here or there after several listens. My guess is you might give the voc track a nudge up in gain, then scoop out the gt EQ's as said above. Make sure cymbals & stuff don't interfere. Whatever it takes to bring out dood's voice and make the lyric clear. Or at least clearER. Sounds like an interesting story ya got there but I haven't a clue...
    Now, all that said, it's all just MHO. *I* think the mix would and could be a little better. Really is a great toon / arr and that singer is th' nuts! Dunno if it's the prechorus that DSomething mentioned but that section at, well now I lost the damn MPlayer.. arrrggg.. anyway right after the opening verse where the vocal's run thru a radio EQ or signal destroyer er whatever... kewl man, nice work.

SW
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1