BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/13 23:20:05 (permalink)
On the 32-bit version of SONAR5, everything will work as it always has for you. Compatibility only becomes a concern when running the x64 version of SONAR5, which is in no way required. It's only there for users that would like to take advantage of their 64-bit ready computers. Reading back through this thread will provide more info if required.
post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2005/09/13 23:26:26

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
jayson
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/13 23:56:43 (permalink)
How about Dimension from Project 5? Will it be ported to the x64 version of SONAR 5?

Cheers,

jayson
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/14 02:34:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk]

ORIGINAL: UnderTow

ORIGINAL: musicmanrdu

I have to agree with this guy. I use Waves plugins heavily, especially the L1 Ultramaximizer (much better than the limiter in the Sonitus Compressor FX) and I'm not spending $800 or more to upgrade to the latest and greatest Waves plugins just so I can use them in Sonar 5. I was considering upgrading, now I'm not so sure.

Don't all the Waves plugins come in bundles that you can download from the Waves site? By a bundle I mean they contain TDM, RTAS, VST and DX versions in one package? And anyone can download the packages so if you have the authorization on your PC, just get the latest version from the Waves site.

That having been said, this isn't the case for all DX plugins. I think CakeWalk need to create a bit bridge for DX plugins A.S.A.P. or their 64 bit audio engine will be a bit useless for most making it little more than a marketing gimmick (if it isn't allready ... ). You just can't trust all developers to upgrade their code in a timely fashion.

Next time you create a new version of Sonar, dump all the "free" 3rd party plugins and spend the money on developing the actual functionality of the software. That is money better spent. That will impress the professionals much more. You can always get (better) plugins elsewhere. You can't get extra built in functionality elsewhere.

UnderTow

You are confusing x64 and the 64-bit audio engine. These are two separate things and can be used exclusive of each other. There is no reason you can't run 32-bit DX plugs in the 32-bit version of SONAR5 and still use the 64-bit mix engine. The two are independant of one another.

I'm not confusing anything. I am talking about the 64 bit AUDIO engine. Not x64. As long as developers of DX plugins (for which there are no VST counterpart available or are not available free of charge) have not upgraded their DX plugins to support 64 bit audio, one can not use the 64 bit AUDIO engine in Sonar.

Also, there aren't a bunch of free 3rd party plugins in SONAR5. The Sonitus we own and the Lexicon has been with SONAR since version 3 I believe. The new synths are all created by RGC Audio which Cakewalk acquired and is now "in-house". So these plugs are all an integral part of SONAR now and the only 3rd party involvement is from Lexicon. The Pantheon is definitely not "free" and I doubt anyone would want us to remove it from SONAR.

By "free" I mean "free" to the user. Bundled plugins. I mean the Lexicon reverb (many people have commented on this forum that they do not use it because they don't like its sound) and the Roland stuff. Even the in-house developed plugins. They have been developed so they come at a cost directly or indirectly. My point is that time money and effort would be best spent on increasing the basic functionality of Sonar as it is impossible to add editing functionality to the application while it IS possible to get 3rd party plugins.

I understand why CakeWalk choose to do this: It makes sense on a superficial level. It looks good in the marketing brochures. But when money isn't the issue (on the side of the customer), it becomes rather uninteresting. I much prefer having an elastic timeline, GUI based time stretch/shrink functionality, better control surface support etc etc than having some soundfont player or a reverb I don't use and which is available elsewhere anyway.

Note that my comments are not purely about my selfish needs: I would much prefer CakeWalk to improve the notation functionality of Sonar even though I never use it myself. It is about the difference between items available elsewhere and core functionality of the application that is irreplaceable.

UnderTow
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/14 03:06:08 (permalink)

I'm not confusing anything. I am talking about the 64 bit AUDIO engine. Not x64. As long as developers of DX plugins (for which there are no VST counterpart available or are not available free of charge) have not upgraded their DX plugins to support 64 bit audio, one can not use the 64 bit AUDIO engine in Sonar.

By "free" I mean "free" to the user. Bundled plugins. I mean the Lexicon reverb (many people have commented on this forum that they do not use it because they don't like its sound) and the Roland stuff. Even the in-house developed plugins. They have been developed so they come at a cost directly or indirectly. My point is that time money and effort would be best spent on increasing the basic functionality of Sonar as it is impossible to add editing functionality to the application while it IS possible to get 3rd party plugins.

UnderTow

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all. I'm just trying to make sure this is all clear. However there is some confusion here (understandable), probably due to some assumptions about SONAR5's 64-bit capabilities. So let's forget x64 and just talk about the 64-bit floating point mixing: Bit-bridge is only applicable under x64. There basically is a "bitbridge" of sorts, inherent in the 64-bit audio engine when running on 32-bit machines. Simply, if SONAR encounters a plugin that doesn't support 64-bit floating point it will interface with that plugin at 32-bit. It's just like a 32-bit mix engine talking to plugins that support 64-bit floating point (Timeworks, Ozone, etc) only in reverse in this case.

So basically you turn on the 64-bit engine and all your plugins still work. It's just that SONAR's entire mix engine is running at 64-bit and keeps that resolution when interfacing with 64-bit plugins. When interfacing with 32-bit plugins, 32-bit code is passed between the plugin and SONAR's mix engine.

When on x64 you can run all of SONAR5's internal plugins as they have been coded to work with x64. When using 3rd party plugins, you can install the VST versions of plugs and they will run using Bit-bridge. If a plugin manufacturer updates to 64-bit DX then the DX version can be used at native 64-bit processing (x64).

I sincerely hope this makes sense.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that this is the way things work to the very best of my knowledge. I'll point out (as I often do) that I don't write the code. Thusly, I reserve the right to be corrected by any of the Cakewalk development staff
post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2005/09/14 03:20:40

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
soundsgood
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/14 06:09:07 (permalink)
Brandon or Ron, will plugins running at 64 bits internal resolution, but coded for the current 32 bit sound engine DAWs, interface with Sonar at 64 bits, or will the plugins require recoding to do this?

How is dithering implemented with the bit bridge?
DeBro
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 742
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/14 07:34:12 (permalink)
It seems that some people in this thread are lacking a great deal of understanding or is the technology too complex to comprehend.
pgw
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/14 09:01:18 (permalink)

In most cases there will be a VST version of the effect or instrument. If not, and you really want to run the x64 version, I would apply pressure on the manufacturer to update the plug so it can be used in a 64-bit environment.

I just can´t help it :will there be a 64-bit-version of FX3-Soundstage then? LOL

I´d say that Sonar5 looks (as always is the case with Cakewalk) like a great package with mucho bang for the buck!

Also -I suppose it will work just fine to install 64bit & 32bit-versions of Sonar in parallell on XP-x64,not the perfect solution but not a big problem either,just my point of view.....

Windows 10 (LTSB) - i7 8700 - ASUS GTX1060 -16 GB Corsair Vengeance - Samsung SSD´s - Seagate HD´s - RME FF400 - & too many geetars & amps
musicmanrdu
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/14 09:17:58 (permalink)

You are confusing x64 and the 64-bit audio engine. These are two separate things and can be used exclusive of each other. There is no reason you can't run 32-bit DX plugs in the 32-bit version of SONAR5 and still use the 64-bit mix engine. The two are independant of one another.

Also, there aren't a bunch of free 3rd party plugins in SONAR5. The Sonitus we own and the Lexicon has been with SONAR since version 3 I believe. The new synths are all created by RGC Audio which Cakewalk acquired and is now "in-house". So these plugs are all an integral part of SONAR now and the only 3rd party involvement is from Lexicon. The Pantheon is definitely not "free" and I doubt anyone would want us to remove it from SONAR.

Thanks for clarifying Brandon. I am still considering the upgrade. I wish some of these guys would get their facts straight before posting on this forum. Sometimes I see this forum as a resource and at other times a nightmare of techno jibberish. I've got so now I just scroll through the posts to see when an official Cakewalk representative has posted to cut to the chase. I didn't do that this time and look, I got frustrated over nothing.
bermuda
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/14 09:29:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ooblecaboodle

Bugger.
So that means no Timeworks EQ, No Timeworks CompressorX, No Waves, and no DX Izotope Vinyl.

That really is pretty sh*t, and it strikes me as a really dumb move.
If you created a bitbridge for VSTs, why not DX'? For a few years you've had people accusing you of not supporting VST fully, and now you don't even support DX fully?

So this fantastic sonar 5 will have:

NO more than 16 ReWire channels

Well, I'm sold
This is a sad day, I really am dissapointed. Don't wait up for my order.

I'm pretty darn certain that this is a limitation of Rewire and nothing to do with Cakewalk ... Sonar do not make rewire this is a Propellarheads product. Ah it was with Rewire 1

ReWire has the following features:

Real-time streaming of up to 256 individual audio channels (up to 64 with ReWire 1) from one application to another.
Real-time streaming of up to 4080 individual MIDI channels from one application to another (255 MIDI buses with 16 channel per bus). This feature requires ReWire 2. High-precision synchronization - complete, glitch-free sync between the two applications, with no settings to make and no parameters to worry about.
Common transport functions - if both applications have built-in sequencers of some sort, you can play, stop, rewind etc. in any of the applications and they will both locate to the same position.
Additional querying - one application can "ask" the other about audio channel names, etc. This feature requires ReWire 2.

Rewire 2 sounds nice...... We would need a dialogue box that asks us how many channels, buses though as I'm not doing the 256 vs 50 audio track delete game. Eek

Would be good if Sonar 5 supported both Rewire 1 and rewire 2

Although for all we know rewire 2 may not be proven or as stable as one would like yet.
as it sounds free to use in software applications development.

" I'm a software developer - can I include ReWire in my programs?

Yes, ReWire is a free piece of technology. Propellerhead Software will issue licenses to companies in the audio or music industry interested in creating commercial ReWire applications, free of charge. Find out more here."

post edited by bermuda - 2005/09/14 09:44:16

Yes.
Spartan
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/14 09:48:47 (permalink)
will my wavelab work in a 64 bit enviroment ?
Master Chief [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1053
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/14 09:57:25 (permalink)
Brandon or Ron, will plugins running at 64 bits internal resolution, but coded for the current 32 bit sound engine DAWs, interface with Sonar at 64 bits, or will the plugins require recoding to do this?
Those plugins will will interface using 32-bit floats. No recoding required.

In other words, if you turn on the double precision (DP) engine in SONAR, all of your existing plugins will continue to work.
NYSR
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1550
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/16 10:17:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Ron Kuper [Cakewalk]

is my stash of dx software going to work in sonar 5?
Absolutely, yes. The cavet is if you choose to install the x64 edition on an x64 O/S, then only x64 DX plugins will work. But on the 32-bit O/S version everything will work as always.

Ron,

You are the man! I appreciate the way you avail yourself to settle these kinds of questions.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

LixiSoft
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/16 10:26:30 (permalink)

Why not ask Steinbug.........but I bet the answer is NO

LixiSoft
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/16 11:46:16 (permalink)
Thanks to Ron, Brandon and Alex for helping to clear up this info...

Now I suggest that we "push" some solid programmer to create a "wrapper" for 32bit DX plugins so that they can be run in the 64bit Sonar version as there is (BitBridge) for the VSTs....

I'm a little surprized that this wasn't done prior to BitBridge for VST support as Cakewalk/Sonar has remained a staunch DX-based host until ...... now?

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
NYSR
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1550
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/16 18:44:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Keni

Thanks to Ron, Brandon and Alex for helping to clear up this info...

Now I suggest that we "push" some solid programmer to create a "wrapper" for 32bit DX plugins so that they can be run in the 64bit Sonar version as there is (BitBridge) for the VSTs....

I'm a little surprized that this wasn't done prior to BitBridge for VST support as Cakewalk/Sonar has remained a staunch DX-based host until ...... now?

Keni

Am I correct in thinking that cakewalk helped to create the DX standard?

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

Shayne White
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/16 18:57:52 (permalink)
Yes, I also think that's rather odd that Cakewalk wrote a bitbridge for VST and not for 32-bit DX. Is it because generally VST is more popular?
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/16 20:30:37 (permalink)
This is creating a "leading" idea... that they may be looking to "lose" DX support?

I see they've mentioned that DX has x64 support and that they're trying to get DX programmers to make the move..... But what's 'really' going on?

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
Erik Putrycz
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/16 20:42:43 (permalink)

Bugger.

Antares Autotune is not available as VST. There is quite a list of plugs that are not available as VST.
I'm disappointed too... I assumed first that the bitbridge would work for DX and VST. The biggest reason for the upgrade would have been the 64 bit but that would be too difficult to work with only VST. Well I'll be waiting for Sonar 6 too then or at least that plugins such as Autotune will be ported to Win x64.
Unfortunately the x64 adoption seems to be quite slow.

Erik.
post edited by Erik Putrycz - 2005/09/16 20:55:40

www.ens-music.com
Erik Putrycz
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/16 20:47:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: LixiSoft

Why not ask Steinbug.........but I bet the answer is NO

Yes all 32 bit software can run in a 64 bit environment. But here the discussion is about native 64 bit software.
Native 64 bit software can run faster than in 32 bit on the same hardware, so you save CPU.

Erik.

www.ens-music.com
roughly
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/16 21:01:16 (permalink)

Bugger.
So that means no Timeworks EQ, No Timeworks CompressorX, No Waves, and no DX Izotope Vinyl.

That really is pretty sh*t, and it strikes me as a really dumb move.
If you created a bitbridge for VSTs, why not DX'? For a few years you've had people accusing you of not supporting VST fully, and now you don't even support DX fully?

So this fantastic sonar 5 will have:
NO locking clips to SMPTE.
NO true sidechain support.
NO port renaming.
NO input cascading.
NO Mouse Zoom?
NO more than 16 ReWire channels
NO support for touch sensitive fader automation control
And NO DX EFFECTS IN 64BIT MODE?
Well, I'm sold
This is a sad day, I really am dissapointed. Don't wait up for my order.

i hear you brother, these are some things that are near and dear to my heart too. true SIDE-CHAIN/ mouse zoom, portnames, and select mult wigdets for simultaneous control (mult volumnes/pans), nested folders ----- sigh

www.callthecow.com
jlgrimes
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1639
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/16 22:48:30 (permalink)
DXi plug-ins should not work, but you can install the VST version of your plug-ins, so you should not have any problem...I say you shouldn't

Sometimes the VST version might not work as good as the DXI. Izotope Vinyl is a good example. Its warp function does not work in VST mode.

jlgrimes
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1639
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/16 22:51:54 (permalink)
Compatibility only becomes a concern when running the x64 version of SONAR5, which is in no way required. It's only there for users that would like to take advantage of their 64-bit ready computers.

These kind of nags are to be expected though since 64 bit systems are just now starting from the ground up.

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/17 05:53:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jlgrimes

Compatibility only becomes a concern when running the x64 version of SONAR5, which is in no way required. It's only there for users that would like to take advantage of their 64-bit ready computers.

These kind of nags are to be expected though since 64 bit systems are just now starting from the ground up.

Exactly...we're blazing a trail here. Many people will be able to take advantage of 64-bit right away, as others may need to wait for certain essential plugins and/or hardware thye use to catch up. That's why we include the 32-bit version as well. So anyone can get good use out of SONAR5...some at 64-bit and others at 32-bit.

UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/17 07:40:50 (permalink)

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all. I'm just trying to make sure this is all clear. However there is some confusion here (understandable), probably due to some assumptions about SONAR5's 64-bit capabilities. So let's forget x64 and just talk about the 64-bit floating point mixing: Bit-bridge is only applicable under x64. There basically is a "bitbridge" of sorts, inherent in the 64-bit audio engine when running on 32-bit machines. Simply, if SONAR encounters a plugin that doesn't support 64-bit floating point it will interface with that plugin at 32-bit. It's just like a 32-bit mix engine talking to plugins that support 64-bit floating point (Timeworks, Ozone, etc) only in reverse in this case.

So basically you turn on the 64-bit engine and all your plugins still work. It's just that SONAR's entire mix engine is running at 64-bit and keeps that resolution when interfacing with 64-bit plugins. When interfacing with 32-bit plugins, 32-bit code is passed between the plugin and SONAR's mix engine.

When on x64 you can run all of SONAR5's internal plugins as they have been coded to work with x64. When using 3rd party plugins, you can install the VST versions of plugs and they will run using Bit-bridge. If a plugin manufacturer updates to 64-bit DX then the DX version can be used at native 64-bit processing (x64).

Yes it does. :) Thanks for clearing things up. :)

UnderTow
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/18 07:01:01 (permalink)

Yes it does. :) Thanks for clearing things up. :)

UnderTow

My pleasure

ustudio
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/18 08:01:29 (permalink)
Antares Autotune is not available as VST. There is quite a list of plugs that are not available as VST.
I'm disappointed too... I assumed first that the bitbridge would work for DX and VST. The biggest reason for the upgrade would have been the 64 bit but that would be too difficult to work with only VST. Well I'll be waiting for Sonar 6 too then or at least that plugins such as Autotune will be ported to Win x64.
Unfortunately the x64 adoption seems to be quite slow.

You Guys are killing me are any of you working with Win XP 64 bit version or longhorn? If not none of the issue above even matter, to run 64 bit version of Sonar you need a 64 bit version of windows and 64 bit versions of your hardware driver soundcards etc, I sure there are some that have or is gonna get win xp 64, or the new vista when it come out in 2006 but for now alot of people like me in on windows Xp, so none of the x64 issues even matter, and weither they the companies decide to move to the 64bit windows version of there programs isnt Cake fault, and you should try to blame them. keep in mind soon vista and xp64 will be public and have an official release then I sure any plugin company that want to stay in the business will port there plugins to to 64bit, not because of Sonar but because for there plugins to work in vista or XP 64 they will have to do it. Not only that Cubase and Nuendo, etc will have to be ported, by then I sure most plugin manufactures will jump aboard the 64bit band wagon, till then you can still use Sonar 5 on the machine you got now @ 32bits the same as they versions your using right now works at. There may be more to the story as I saw above about running 64 bit engine in your 32bit windows but I aint going there.

Yall are asking this question this one dont bother me the one that bother me is with native vst support will all my plugin work there, I know in Cubase if you load in a plugin and its buggy then some times Cubase wont open, I hope Sonar isnt like that
ustudio
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: BitBridge for VST...what about DirectX? 2005/09/18 08:21:58 (permalink)
And also look at it this way, Sonar cutting edge maybe 6 months, maybe more , Cubase will be X64 and others, and Sonar would have had months of experience at being on X64 , to me that means the Sonar has the potential of being a much stabler version of X64 bit programming that the others, they'll be coming out with a ?.0 release and well be on a ?.01 release. Just a thought, 2 cent man, 2 cents.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1