Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal

Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2011/04/06 18:16:12 (permalink)

Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal

There are plenty of legitimate gripes about V-Vocal, such as crashes. But there have been nearly as many gripes about how poor a job it does and how it leaves artifacts. V-Vocal has been responsible for a great many Melodyne sales.

Crashes, well only CW can remedy those. But artifacts, that's another story. If you follow these 10 suggestions V-Vocal will nearly always give you excellent results, free of audible artifacts. (These tips, BTW, apply to all offline pitch correction software such as Melodyne and AutoTune. Regardless of what you may have heard to the contrary, no pitch editor in existence today is immune to artifacts!)

1. Always start with clean, moderately loud tracks

If you have fan noise, rumble, headphone bleed or clipping, these will confuse V-Vocal. They won't necessarily ruin an otherwise great track, so if re-tracking isn't an option your best strategy may be to live with what you've got and skip the pitch correction altogether.

Fan noise, you might be able to reduce with Sound Forge, Adobe Audition or iZotope RX.

Rumble you can spot with a spectral display and remove with a high-pass filter.

Clipping may not be a problem if you simply go around it and don't try to pitch edit the clipped portions. This may be easy, because clipping is most likely on transients that don't need correction anyway (see tip #6).

But headphone bleed, that's a problem. Even if you silence it between phrases so that you can no longer hear it. Just because the main vocal masks it to your ear doesn't mean it can hide it from V-Vocal. It's still in there and it will confuse V-Vocal and will contribute more to artifacts than any other kind of noise. Reducing headphone bleed is addressed further in tip #10.

Also pay attention to recording levels. You want your levels to be moderately hot, peaking above -30db.  V-Vocal employs an internal noise gate, so very quiet recordings may be partially or completely excluded from analysis, to the point where you may not be able to use V-Vocal at all on the track. If you're having problems with V-Vocal figuring out pitches (large areas have no horizontal white lines over them), try using Process -> Audio -> Gain to bring the track up in volume before starting your pitch editing. As long as the track is reasonably noise-free, this will work fine.

2. Never use V-Vocal on a stereo track

There are few good reasons to record vocals in stereo anyhow. If you've done so accidentally, right-click on the clip and select "convert to mono" before applying pitch correction. (Or if you're feeling adventurous, split the track into two mono tracks and pitch-edit them independently. Beware of phase issues if you do this, however.)

A corollary to this tip: only work with monophonic (as opposed to polyphonic) material. Vocals are inherently monophonic, but V-Vocal can also be used on things like bass, and a bass track may not be completely monophonic if there is anyplace that two notes can be heard together. Don't try to shift those places.

You can (sometimes) also fix a lead guitar solo, but only if you have a clean, dry direct recording and skip any sections where two notes overlap. (I have, however, seen V-Vocal used effectively on a lead guitar even though it was distorted and effected - but that was a single fix to a single flubbed note, and we probably just got lucky that time.)

3. Never use V-Vocal on effected tracks

It's one more good reason not to print effects while tracking. If your singer needs to hear reverb, put it in the headphones but don't record it. Always record vocals dry if you want the option of applying pitch correction later.

This sometimes applies to natural reverberation, too. If your room is very reverberant, build some fiberglass panels or record in the closet where you hang your heavy winter coats. V-Vocal - or any other pitch editor - will work better without excessive room ambiance.

And if you have effect inserts on the track, bypass them while editing. They interfere with your own sense of pitch, and you want to be correcting by ear, not by eye. (See tip #5)

4. Never automate the correction process

Never allow any pitch-correction software to apply correction automatically (or in real time, as some plugins can do). Perform every edit manually, one phrase or word at a time, and audition every edit before moving on to the next phrase. You're not only listening to make sure you haven't introduced any artifacts, but also to determine whether or not your edit actually improved anything. Some edits can take a few tries to get it right, other edits are simply ill-advised and shouldn't be undertaken. But that's what the Eraser tool is for.

When auditioning, do so both with and without the full song playing along. Listening to the vocal soloed will help with fine details, but ultimately you're tuning the vocal to the instruments. It's no good achieving an on-pitch vocal if in doing so it's now no longer in tune with a key instrument behind it.

5. Do not edit things that don't need it

Sounds obvious, but inexperienced users tend to want to fix everything whether it needs it or not. Even experienced users (including yours truly) will occasionally succumb to the lure of perfection and fix things unnecessarily.

Do not be fooled by the graphical display! Never assume that because that horizontal white line isn't exactly on the note that you actually need to fix it or that doing so will improve it. Listen to it in context without looking at the display. Does it SOUND out of tune? If not, then leave it alone.

Background vocals generally benefit from gentle or no correction at all, especially thick multipart harmonies and/or double-tracked parts. Pitch variations are in fact critical to getting that desirable fat sound and you can actually ruin a backing vocal ensemble by over-correcting. Wobbly is good when you're stacking human voices!

[Added:]
I should add that V-Vocal can add distortion even to portions of a clip where you have not made any adjustments, due to inaccuracies in the initial scan. They're not often audible, but they can be if your track contains difficult-to-analyze passages such as noisy and/or non-pitched bits. If this bites you, your best strategy is to split the phrase you want to edit from the rest of the clip and just edit that.

6. Do not edit non-pitched elements

This is probably the most important tip of all.

Consonants do not have pitch, so it is impossible for software to pick out the fundamental frequency. Look at the spectrum of an "S" - it's basically white noise. What note is an "S" or an "F"? They have none. Attempting to shift consonants often results in nasty artifacts.

So when you select a region to pitch-shift, leave out the consonants. Don't shift by words, shift by vowels. Don't just grab the white lines that V-Vocal put there for you. Instead, specify your own edit region which doesn't include beginning or ending consonants. So, for example, if the word is "sat", highlight the "a" and leave the "s" and the "t" out of the selection.

Concentrate on long vowels, since they are the elements most likely to need correction. Most short sounds - less than an eight-note's duration - are too brief for a listener to register their pitch even if they have one, so many short vowels can be skipped just like the non-pitched elements.

[Amended:]
Tarsier points out that the blanket statement "consonants have no pitch" is not true, and he is right. The consonant "m" in particular can be drawn out to where it does indeed have pitch. It comes down to the length of the sound and whether it meets the minimum criteria for a listener to detect its pitch. A "t" never will, but an "m" might.

7. Do not edit breathy words, shouts, grunts, groans or screams

Luckily, James Brown never needed pitch correction.

This is really a corollary to the previous tip: don't edit non-pitched elements. The same advice extends to pitched elements that have a lot of non-pitched components mixed in. These will make it harder for V-Vocal to separate the fundamental from everything else, and it will tend to try and shift components that shouldn't be shifted. The result is similar to what you get from excessive headphone bleed: phasey, metallic artifacts.

Especially beware of words that start strong but fizzle out into a breathy, amorphous cloud at the end. It may be better to skip such words altogether, since there is no clear delineation between the pitched and unpitched regions so you cannot reliably specify which parts not to shift. (BTW, this is one area where Melodyne really does excel over V-Vocal.)

8. Avoid abrupt or large pitch changes

If you need to move a note more than a few cents, use the line drawing tool to insert a gradual change. Better to take a little longer to transition up to the right note than to immediately jump there and expose your edit to the listener. Don't worry that you've inserted an artificial-looking straight line, because you won't actually hear it as a straight line unless it's very long. Use your ears, and be sure to audition the edit before moving on, to make sure it's not noticeable.

As a general rule, don't expect V-Vocal to transparently move any note more than a semitone or so. If the vocal is that far off it may be better to insist on retracking it.

How well a big shift works depends a lot on if it's a high or low note (high notes can be low-passed to mitigate artifacts) and where it sits in the mix. I've manufactured high harmonies with V-Vocal that sounded absolutely dreadful when soloed, but worked just fine in the context of a multipart harmony in the full mix. (But it's hit-and-miss, so when possible I prefer to bring in a female vocalist to hit those high notes for me.)

This advice extends down to the micro level, too. Sometimes after editing one section you are left with a short but abrupt change going into the following section. This will result in an audible artifact. The vibrato tool can sometimes be used to match up the sections. This is one case where you have to do it by eye. If that doesn't work, use the line-drawing tool to draw a gentler transition. When matching up two sections this way, I try to terminate the line at the zero-crossing of the following waveform when possible.

9. Always set the Formant control to zero

The formant-follow control determines how much pitch adjustment is applied to the non-pitched portion of the vocal. When you sing, there are fixed resonances in your mouth, throat and nose that do not change with pitch. You normally want V-Vocal to leave these alone, otherwise you'll get weird results such as the "chipmunk effect". Setting the formant control to zero tells V-Vocal not to mess with them.

The only time you need formant tracking is when you're synthesizing harmonies a fifth or more apart from the lead. Even then, expect to bury the faked harmony because it'll sound nasty in solo. And even when you do use the formant setting, you'll almost never set it to 100%, which by some strange logic is the default value.

10. Help the singer get it right the first time

Of course, singing on pitch is ultimately the singer's responsibility, but there are many things you can do to help. And every word or phrase sung correctly is a word or phrase that V-Vocal will never make worse (because you adhered to tip #5: don't fix it if it ain't broke!).

Singers who hear too much of themselves in the headphones tend to sing sharp. If they hear too little, they tend to sing flat. If it's too loud overall, they tend to sing flat. If there is too much bass, they tend to sing flat.

It's not enough to just give them their own headphone mixer that they can adjust. Listen to them while they sing - if they seem to be holding back and singing too quietly, it's possible their vocal is too hot in the cans. Conversely, if they're belting out to the point of losing control, they may not be hearing enough of themselves.

If you have an inexperienced singer, teach them the importance of backing off the mic. Use the pop filter as a barrier to enforce a no-eating policy. Not only will you have fewer issues with plosives, resonances and the proximity effect, it will also reduce headphone bleed, which will make subsequent pitch editing easier. If you need to bring the vocal up, try bringing the instruments down instead, to avoid increasing bleed.

The headphone mix can drastically help or hinder a vocalist, even one with perfect pitch.  Too much bass will interfere with the singer's sense of pitch, often making them sing flat, so consider taking the bass and kick entirely out of the headphone mix, or at least rolling off the low frequencies with a HPF. Choose something (but just one thing) like an acoustic guitar or piano to bring forward in the mix to supply the main pitch reference to the singer. Lead instruments and incidental percussion usually don't help at all, so back them off or out.

A trick I use for my own singing is to insert a pitch cue right before the place I'll be singing a line. Just a note on a piano. This tends to mitigate that initial slide that sometimes happens when you're zeroing in on the first note. Those lead-in slides can be very hard to repair later and make double-tracking trickier.

Choosing the right headphones makes a difference. Most studios have lots of cheap headphones, because musicians are hard on them and they break often. But cheap headphones typically have poor isolation, leading to bleed, leading to pitch-correction artifacts. So give those disposable cans to the drummer and keep at least one good pair around just for vocalists.

Single-sided headphones work well for some singers because hearing their own natural voice in one ear helps with pitch. Beware the technique of simply removing one side of the headphones, though, as this will increase bleed unless you silence the unused side. There are models available that are specifically designed for this purpose, such as the single-speaker Beyerdynamic DT102. A more cost-effective approach is to simply pan the headphone mix to one side.

The nicest-sounding headphones are not necessarily the best ones for vocal tracking. I like the Sennheiser HD280Pro partly because it has weak bass response, which saves me the trouble of high-pass filtering the headphone mix. It also has better isolation than most headphones (it even beats "active" noise-cancelling Bose headphones for isolation, so the HD280's are also usable for air travel). They're reasonably comfortable and durable, and best of all, cost only 99 bucks (or less).

I'm sure there are other good tips that I've either forgotten about or haven't even stumbled onto yet. Please add your own tips and observations, but please - no anecdotes about how V-Vocal crashes your system. Everybody here is sympathetic, but nobody can help you with that except the bakers.

post edited by bitflipper - 2011/04/08 10:50:04

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

26 Replies Related Threads

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/06 18:33:56 (permalink)
    Thank you for sharing pitch-correction strategies.  These are excellent tips for me, indeed ... as they behoove at performance redemption and not sample-driven Cher-hype. 

At least half of them I've not thought of too consciously and will start applying to my productions.

The "pitch clue" is a new handy-dandy --haha!  (I can't tell you how many times my singers are clueless about the start of a section, let alone the pitch drift)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/06 20:54:42 (permalink)
    Excellent advice.... starting with a good clean track sung well and only fixing the obvious stuff is the best way to go.

One more thing I'd add: SAVE OFTEN, especially after an important edit.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/06 21:23:58 (permalink)
    thanks bit...I mostly only use v-vocal pitch correction on back up vocals, but I have found out that v-vocal needs a strong signal to do its work...and my falsetto can be a little weak and hard to fix.

Never thought about consanants not having pitch, but that makes a lot of sense.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/06 21:55:38 (permalink)
    omg bit..this article is awesome.you really have given me some great ideas.and i cant wait to implimint them tonight when i start tracking the vocals on my new song.really.thank you so much for this insight.i had no idea about droping the kick and bass out or use a high pass filter.that was a great piece of work you wrote right there.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

bitflipper
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/06 23:40:36 (permalink)
    Just don't go listening to my songs for examples of how it's supposed to be done. All these tips were hard-won over time by mostly doing it wrong. Repeatedly.

My Stuff
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 00:22:05 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Just don't go listening to my songs for examples of how it's supposed to be done. All these tips were hard-won over time by mostly doing it wrong. Repeatedly.

im sure they were..im just glad i can benefit from your mistakes..ummmm maybe that came out wrong..what im trying to say is..thank you for doing the leg work my friend.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 10:25:33 (permalink)
    Consonants do not have pitch,

Not entirely accurate. While /s/ /f/ /t/ /p/ aren't pitched, /l/ /m/ /n/ /r/ are--to just name a few. Don't try to adjust the pitch of un-pitched sounds, but consonants certainly can be pitched.
    sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 10:37:52 (permalink)
    Very helpful stuff.  Thx.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    bitflipper
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 10:51:58 (permalink)
    BTW, here's how I arrived at the -30db minimum level recommendation.

I started with a 1KHz 32-bit sine sample, applied a 2-second linear slip edit to the front of it and bounced. Then I created a V-Vocal clip from that and observed where V-V began to offer a pitch for it.

As you can see in the image below, V-V starts picking up the scent at -35db and stabilizes at -32db.

This, however, is a best-case scenario for V-Vocal: a steady sine wave. I did not test with a complex waveform, so it's possible that the threshold for reliable pitch detection is slightly higher for real-world data. Hence, my -30db suggested minimum. In practice it's probably better to shoot for an even higher level, perhaps -24db.

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 10:56:57 (permalink)

Not entirely accurate. While /s/ /f/ /t/ /p/ aren't pitched, /l/ /m/ /n/ /r/ are--to just name a few. Don't try to adjust the pitch of un-pitched sounds, but consonants certainly can be pitched.

Oh, I figured you'd be nit-picky about it, tarsier!

It's true: the long, soft consonants such as "m" can most definitely have pitch. However, any sound needs to be long enough in duration for the listener to actually detect its pitch. If I sing "m-m-m-m" for five seconds, then yup, I'd better include it for pitch analysis. But if I sing the word "man", I probably don't want to include the "m". Not only is it too brief to worry about, it's probably not in pitch with the "a" anyhow and would not pitch-correct properly. And would be a candidate for artifacts. The "n", however, might be relevant, especially if it's drawn out.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2011/04/07 11:08:41

My Stuff
    robbyk
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 14:22:38 (permalink)
    Many thanks!!!

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
    Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
    Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
    Studio
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 15:49:49 (permalink)
    What, me pedantic...?   (should I mention one of my favorite books is The Acoustics of American English Speech and that I have gotten many strange looks while riding the train and practicing different phoneme pronunciations? My accent is such that I can't naturally pronounce some of the ones in that book. But I keep practicing)

Nice sleuthing with the sine. Very creative investigating.
    post edited by tarsier - 2011/04/07 15:54:42
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 17:03:51 (permalink)
    Never thought about the section 6 stuff before (sounds that have no pitch). Brilliant post if not just for that! Looking forward to applying this one and seeing if that can get me some better results!

One question though, how do you avoid artefacts on a track when v-vocal is not actually providing pitch correction? Sounds like a silly question - "there are none". But I can sometimes hear them - and other users have experienced it too. The only solution I have found is to listen to the track, and actually CUT out the sections of vox that have the pitch issue, and apply v-vocal to that (not applying to the rest of the track). If you apply to the entire track, and ONLY edit that one section, for some WEIRD reason, v-vocal still gives me phasing issues on THE STUFF I DID NOT EDIT! I have done a blind test on this and can guess it 100% - so I'm not just hearing things that aren't there. I have not used v-vocal in a while so have not tested this in X1 yet, but hoping it is something that has been fixed. We shall see in time to come :)

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 17:49:45 (permalink)
    Great stuff and as always from you, Bit, very detailed and easily understood. Thanks!

I might re-title this "Tips for Minimizing Artifacts with V-Vocal". Most of the issues I've had with artifacts have fallen into the categories you've described. I've had some though that I just don't have a clue what the problem was. Maybe those are tips 11 & 12 that didn't make the cut.

Now if you could please post the 10 ten ways to keep V-Vocal from crashing...
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 17:51:31 (permalink)
    I would also say that I've had good results using formant control on the screen where you adjust it manually, but agree with not adjusting the entire clip. And I've only found the need to do that on more "extreme" corrections.
    HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 19:05:05 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for taking the time bit - really appreciate the tips.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    bitflipper
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/07 21:51:31 (permalink)

One question though, how do you avoid artefacts on a track when v-vocal is not actually providing pitch correction? Sounds like a silly question - "there are none". But I can sometimes hear them - and other users have experienced it too.

Actually, you avoid these artifacts the same way you avoid them when you are correcting pitches: use clean, unaffected, loud mono sources.

You and I may think it's unreasonable to introduce an error when no edit has been requested, but in reality when you bounce a V-Vocal clip you are actually recreating the audio based on a series of pitch quanta that V-V created when it initially analyzed your file. Any errors in that stage will be reflected in the bounced audio. Sometimes, it can be audible.

If that happens, the best strategy is to cut out the phrase you want to edit by splitting the clip. Just remember to use short fades at the split point so you can't hear the splice.

post edited by bitflipper - 2011/04/07 23:58:04

My Stuff
    mattplaysguitar
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/08 06:19:17 (permalink)
    bitflipper

One question though, how do you avoid artefacts on a track when v-vocal is not actually providing pitch correction? Sounds like a silly question - "there are none". But I can sometimes hear them - and other users have experienced it too.

Actually, you avoid these artifacts the same way you avoid them when you are correcting pitches: use clean, unaffected, loud mono sources.

You and I may think it's unreasonable to introduce an error when no edit has been requested, but in reality when you bounce a V-Vocal clip you are actually recreating the audio based on a series of pitch quanta that V-V created when it initially analyzed your file. Any errors in that stage will be reflected in the bounced audio. Sometimes, it can be audible.

If that happens, the best strategy is to cut out the phrase you want to edit by splitting the clip. Just remember to use short fades at the split point so you can't hear the splice.

Cheers mate, I will certainly give it a fair bit more of a run through. I trust your judgement so will see if I can come up with results I'm happy with :) I was just gonna go out and get melodyne, but if I can get v-vocal to work well, I'd much rather the functionality of it.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

bitflipper
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/08 11:18:24 (permalink)
    I've actually been a Melodyne user since circa 2006. I'd bought it because V-Vocal routinely mangled everything I ran through it. After getting Melodyne, I'd only use V-V occasionally, on short bits and noncritical parts. But over time, I learned how to get better and better results out of V-V and its convenience eventually won me back. Nowadays, it's Melodyne that only gets dusted off on rare occasions.

My Stuff
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/11 11:04:49 (permalink)
    Excellent, David - Thanks for putting this comprehensive guide together. The core advice is so right-on, to not let V-Vocal automatically decide the shifts to be applied, and to do a lot of hand editing, focusing on syllables, avoiding the consonants, and to work in small bits. 

I feel people are well advised to render their edits by bouncing to clips each time they've done a V-Vocal edit, rather than keeping multiple V-Vocal instances active in their projects.  I have Never, and I mean literally Never had V-Vocal crash ever since I realized that always bouncing to clip fixed that problem.

There's one editing tip missing, I feel - I understand what Dlogan says in his post, that the Formant editing window is useful.  Not the auto Formant you describe in the tute, but the separate window.

When you've shifted a pitch up 1/2 step, the Formant in the original track has been noticeably shifted to an unnatural degree.  Shifting the Formant down by a few cents, no more than -3 or -4, brings the Formant back down to where it should be, or at least to where it sounds much more natural.  If you've shifted a pitch down 1/2 step, then the Formant needs to be shifted in the opposite direction, up no more than +3 or +4. 

Those Formant edits need to be hand drawn with the pencil tool so you get smooth transitions from un-effected to effected portions of the clip. 

I feel this Formant correction step is critical when dealing with a shift as big as a full 1/2 step.

Thanks again Bit - Really helpful.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    bitflipper
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/11 14:27:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for your addendum, Randy!

My Stuff
    mattplaysguitar
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/12 07:04:39 (permalink)
    I'd agree with that, Randy. I can't remember if I ever managed to get a convincing half step shift, but at the very least, you can get away with it for harmonies. That slight formant can really do wonders though.

My technique for vocals is to first, after I have all my takes, clone and archive a copy. This way I never lose the original takes. I'll then comp all the way down to my final tracks, bouncing along the way to keep things tidy and easy to work with. Then I'll do my pitch correction, and bounce after each bit to eliminate multiple instances of v-vocal. Sometimes you want to go back and change something you decide is no good anymore, so that's why I always have my original takes archived. Never lose anything!

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

rbowser
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/12 10:28:40 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Thanks for your addendum, Randy!

Well thank You again, David, for such a detailed tute.  I hesitated to add my thoughts on the Formant editing window since it wasn't mentioned in your post, but decided I might encourage someone to experiment with it at least, and see if it's as useful as I've found it to be.  I'm glad you didn't mind my footnote.

Matt, I see you've found a subtle Formant shift to be useful. - In the description of your working method, your first step is to archive a copy of the tracks - I just rely on the automatically muted version of the clips which are made by V-Vocal when you open an instance of the plug-in.  You don't feel that's sufficient coverage?  When I later decide not to use the shifted version, I delete it and un-mute the original which is still there in a different layer of the track.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    bitflipper
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/12 10:49:03 (permalink)
    ...first, after I have all my takes, clone and archive a copy

Good advice, especially if it's someone else's tracks you're monkeying with.

I used to routinely delete the original clips because of SONAR's annoying inability to specify the Z-order of layered clips. This would often result in the muted clip obscuring the live one, making it difficult to do slip edits, insert clip effects or edit clip automation. Now, I simply slip-edit the original clip down to a sliver and leave it in place. That way, I know it's still there if I need it but it won't get in the way.

My Stuff
    rbowser
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/12 10:58:37 (permalink)
    bitflipper

...I simply slip-edit the original clip down to a sliver and leave it in place. That way, I know it's still there if I need it but it won't get in the way.
    Another good one, David - That's exactly what I do.  It is annoying how clip layers we'd prefer to see on top don't necessarily stay there.  Skinny the original muted clips down like this does the trick.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    mattplaysguitar
    Re:Bitflipper's Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Artifacts with V-Vocal 2011/04/12 17:02:57 (permalink)
    I'm not one for clutter so hate having the clips behind, interfering with my editing! I tend to just bounce the mute and v-vocal clip together to remove it and rely on my archive backups if needed. Works for me that way as I have minimal clips in a track to get in my way. I'll actually generally make two archives, one with ALL my takes, and a second one post comping, pre detailed slip editing and v-vocal. I'll also then hide these tracks. I find it's the quickest method and allows me to keep everything as clean as possible. If I screw up a v-vocal edit, I go to the comped archive and get the original track - without having to search through 10 takes to work out which one I chose previously to use (I do some serious comping, often word for word, or even sections of words). If I decide in fact I don't like the way I ended up singing that part, I have the raw takes to listen through again and find where I sung it better.

As with most things, so many ways to work! Always good hearing other ideas and I'll keep these ones in mind for smaller projects where they might work more efficiently for me. Cheers!

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1