AnsweredBlind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 - SEE RESULTS in OP

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/05 13:56:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/05/05 15:49:36
I feel like a slacker.... I listened on my ATH-M50x. I couldn't hear much, if any difference, with my 68 year old ears and tinnitus....LOL....  then I forgot to check it out on my Equator D5's.
The idea of hearing "The Streets of Juarez" as the comparison test, sounds much more interesting to me. I think a mix with more variety and some space would allow a "better" comparion IMO.
Still, I thank Bapu for the experiment!
Michael
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/05 19:40:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/05/05 19:48:52
bapu
emeraldsoul
Perhaps Roland could fund Bapu's next effort 

They can't afford me.

They can't afford you just for your general pricing scheme ? or is it , They can't afford you as in hazard pay for all the other Roland Staff ? 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/05 20:05:05 (permalink)
The Youtube link at the bottom of the Starise post is interesting. The differences are much more obvious here for me. Although I wish they would stop using distorted guitars in these tests. They just make it harder. But the drums are the key in this video. I agree with guy in that video too. Harrison is a little brighter but the transients are a little softer or mushy. And the Reaper mix is a little more spiky for sure. (snappy)

I tried mastering a Hip Hop tune for a client in Mixbus and it failed badly. It softened things a little too much for me and brightened things a little too unnecessarily as well. I ended putting it back in Studio One where the top end remained the same and it sounded snappier to me. That is what the client wanted so left it that way.

Mixbus will soften transients a tiny bit and if you don't want that you should not use it. I can see why the distorted sounds maybe are well liked in Mixbus because they are pushing that a little more. But not all music has distorted sounds in it.

That is why a track that is super clean and has NO distorted sounds in it will reveal more. Mixbus will probably sound worse in this case.  (brighter, and you don't always need the extra brightness if you have done a nice mix but softer transients)  You can control this to a certain extent with the saturation settings but even when turned fully off it still will soften transients in a little way.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/05 20:50:34 (permalink)
Jeff did mention the VS mix could be replicated irrespective of DAW (expected answer), i.e. "They were Sonar, Studio One, Logic and Pro Tools. I could get near perfect nulls with any of them added and one polarity reversed and they all sounded the same."

The outlier here is MixBus, so whether compared to a SONAR or S1 mix should be inconsequential.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
kennywtelejazz
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/05 23:41:50 (permalink)
Leonardo da Vinci and Albert Einstein could both come back from the grave just to do a blind test and tell me that Mixbus is the same as every other DAW Soundwise out there and it's still not gonna change my mind

I still have my eyesight , and because of that all my other senses haven't turned into Super Powers Yet ...

I Wub Mixbus

Anyway lets give some equal air time for the other side of the coin ..

Harrison Mixbus 32C VS Reaper : In The Box Summing . this vid has some rather interesting results ..

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 10:34:24 (permalink)
Thanks for the vid, Kenny. It shows that all the hype about MB summing is a snake oil. Yes, it sounds a hair deeper, but you can easily use a plugin on your summing bus that adds slight depth and warmth, like BT Analog TrackBox that ships with SPlat or nay third party. I figured, PM Retro EQ just engaged and not tweaked serves as a great summing device, adding depth, warmth and texture.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 12:51:27 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
Anyway lets give some equal air time for the other side of the coin ..

Harrison Mixbus 32C VS Reaper : In The Box Summing . this vid has some rather interesting results ..

Kenny

Thanks Kenny

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 14:08:20 (permalink)
When is Bapu gonna post the results?

[edit] Never mind. It'll be tomorrow morning 🕗.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 16:59:03 (permalink)
I think that guys process was flawed.

I just did an null test of the chorus of my Streets of Juarez and they def do not null. I'll be posting my results later once I absolutely make sure my process is not flawed in any way.

My first thought is the pan laws may not be the same.
msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 17:54:24 (permalink)
It wasn't easy to follow but I got the impression he exported the stems from Mixbus and then loaded them into Reaper.  Which might explain why they null, since they had already had the Mixbus processing applied to them.  The only part he did (in an off screen project) is the adding/summing part.  And even that didn't completely null out, you can see in the video near the 80% mark the two waveforms aren't identical.  And his null play back did have a couple of meter blips.  Minor yes, but not zero.

I think it's safe to say that Mixbus does do things to tracks.  And it does sum tracks slightly differently than "normal" DAWs also (two separate things maybe).  The thing is, do you want/need what it does?  Do you want it bad enough to use Mixbus?  Can you get what you want without using Mixbus or is using Mixbus (either as an additional step or as a full replacement) the best path to what you want?

In my case I have yet to hear anything that makes me believe Mixbus solves a problem I personally have.  But I can completely understand people feeling differently about it.

-Matt

kennywtelejazz
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 17:55:06 (permalink)
bapu
I think that guys process was flawed.

I just did an null test of the chorus of my Streets of Juarez and they def do not null. I'll be posting my results later once I absolutely make sure my process is not flawed in any way.

My first thought is the pan laws may not be the same.

As you know Ed , I'm a big fan of Mixbus

I kind of wanted to see a Video on what he did in both programs to have arrived at his mix in the first place
What did he do ? Did he sit there and go OK I'm gonna set my levels the same for all tracks in one program and then copy all the settings one by one over to the other DAW ?
I can certainly understand if it can null w out touching the effects in either program and just going with levels and pan laws ....I'm OK with that ...
The thing is that is not even Mixing ..it appears to only be an A B test which is fine for putting another side of the info out there on u tube ...

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 18:20:59 (permalink)
Hello Timothy! , you are welcome 

Soundwise
Thanks for the vid, Kenny. It shows that all the hype about MB summing is a snake oil. Yes, it sounds a hair deeper, but you can easily use a plugin on your summing bus that adds slight depth and warmth, like BT Analog TrackBox that ships with SPlat or nay third party. I figured, PM Retro EQ just engaged and not tweaked serves as a great summing device, adding depth, warmth and texture.

Hi Alisa ,

I'm happy you enjoyed the vid
I have been learning my way around Reaper lately and that's how I knew of that vid .
I can't say I  know of anyone that would use Mixbus only just to summ tracks w out using Mixbus's on-board effects combined with some of Mixbus's other options ..
IMO, every DAW that I own has some sort of snake oil PR type of thing going on ...advertising maybe ?
I know for a fact that you got Chops girl ,
I'm sure if you wanted to you could probably take any number of the other DAW's you have and with your skills be able to level the playing field Mixwise  between all of them 

Here is a perfect example of what I would like to do in SONAR while using Mixbus at the same time ...

I'm not sure if SONAR has this type of routing available yet ...if SONAR does have this routing

Can somebody here please explain to me how to approach doing this while using SONAR

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 18:56:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/07 17:40:26
Excellent video Kenny.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
kennywtelejazz
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 19:03:27 (permalink)
Hhhmmmm , now this is getting very interesting . Yes, I actually answered my own questions ...
ReRoute according to the CockosWiki is supposed to be available for use in other DAW's once installed ..
As long as ReRoute doesn't mess w  my audio drivers  I may be able to run a SONAR project into Mixbus and send back my processed Mixbus audio in real time with out having to export my SONAR project as stems first .. 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good

that is if it works

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

bapu
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 19:14:13 (permalink)
So Mixbus *could* be a plugin to SONAR.
bapu
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 19:17:18 (permalink)
ReaRoute is installed on mt DAW but in SONAR Preferences->Devices they are unchecked and greyed out (can't check them).

Maybe RME and ReaRoute don't know how to play nice together?
bapu
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 20:08:54 (permalink)
I've got to check SONAR and what pan law I'm using (I assume the default).

Here is a post from Ben at Harrison from 2014 about Harrison's pan law.

"Our design docs for Mixbus specify an "equal power panning law, -6dB in the center for the mono inputs". Funnily enough, we changed our mind at some point and made it 3dB."
Jeff Evans
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 20:12:28 (permalink)
There could still be some problems with that video.

The best test is to get the original multis that have been recorded somewhere totally else e.g. the Roland session that I have.  All mono tracks. They should be imported into Mixbus and the other DAW of interest. No stem summing thanks from either of them. That could be making it ambiguous. 

The same mix needs to set on both DAW's and just one final mix stereo stem exported. Pan laws can be matched. Only L R and C panning applied and tracks faders set to whole numbers of db levels. No effects applied anywhere.

Also the A/B comparison of the final mixes should be done in a Third DAW or program as well not either of them.

The fact that the rise times of transients alone between Mixbus and other DAW's may be different should be enough to not create a perfect null. Thanks Bapu too for the pan law info. Studio One uses 3 dB as well so that solves that issue pretty nicely.

I will use part of the Roland sessions that I have. I am sure after this much time passing it will be fine.  I also remembered too I have an excellent multitrack drum session of my son doing a Cirque De Soleil audition. The music can easily be removed and just the drums left behind. Drums alone may emphasise the transient differences. 

I obviously need to do this. I am just flat out right now and cannot do it immediately that is all.

But hey if a perfect null does result I am very happy to agree then there is no difference but I suspect I won't get a perfect null.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/05/06 20:34:39

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
kennywtelejazz
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/06 21:14:09 (permalink)
bapu
So Mixbus *could* be a plugin to SONAR.

In Theory ...that's what I'm hoping for

bapu
ReaRoute is installed on mt DAW but in SONAR Preferences->Devices they are unchecked and greyed out (can't check them).

Maybe RME and ReaRoute don't know how to play nice together?

Same deal here with my SONAR ....ReaRoute shows up in my SONAR preferences and I can't seem to check them 
even after unchecking my Focusrite 2i4 ....
....................................................................................................................................................................

And now for some good news

Using Reaper and Mixbus 4 I got it to work just like the fella did in the second video I posted   

YES  YES YES YES YES YES YES it certainly works 

Over here on my end , I must admit that I had to follow the video step for step for about 45 mins ...
I kept having to double check and constantly recheck each and every stage of the routing on my Reaper project into my Mixbus 4 project ...
This type of software routing between musical applications is something I need to get better at .

I am very happy that I was able to create a mini song project in Reaper and that I was able to use Mixbus 4 as if it was a plug just like in the video ...
WOW my head is certainly Blown ....

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/07 00:02:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/07 17:47:10
SONAR can only use one ASIO driver at a time.  You can't have two different drivers active at the same time.  So there is no way to do what he's doing in the video.  I believe you have to disable your sound card's ASIO drivers to enable the ReaRoute drivers.

Seems like Cakewalk should have worked on this part of the SONAR engine, you should be able to have as many different drivers (and driver types) all at the same time.  But it doesn't work that way.

-Matt

bapu
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/07 01:19:54 (permalink)
Yeah, after a while I was thinking that was the case. 

If I were a Reaper user I'd pretty psyched about that method. I'm just too comfortable in Platinum to make the switch. I'm pretty much set on how to create stems (mostly buses) from SONAR for import into Mixbus.

I've maintained from the get go that once I leave SONAR I'm in the final mix and small m mastering stage. Mixbus (for me) fits that bill.
post edited by bapu - 2017/05/07 02:18:40
bapu
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/07 01:36:36 (permalink)
OK, no point it waiting. See the OP.
bapu
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 2017/05/07 01:39:32 (permalink)
Only 2 people claimed that A was Mixbus.
More than that claimed they preferred B (SONAR).

There you have it. Mostly inconclusive.
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 - SEE RESULTS in OP 2017/05/07 02:06:15 (permalink)
bapu

And now for the answer:

B=Sonar
A=Mixbus

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Jeff Evans
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 - SEE RESULTS in OP 2017/05/07 07:11:36 (permalink)
All that shows is that the B mix was pushed harder in Sonar in terms of emulation. Hence perhaps the slight increase in top end. I started out at first thinking the B was Mixbus but after a while I started hearing less of a difference.  Like I mentioned in a previous post how much console emulation was actually used in Sonar? At one point I preferred A for a while too. 

It does not prove that Sonar can match or better Mixbus either. Supposing I did the test in Studio One and really pushed the Tube emulation to the point where the top end went a little over Mixbus. Does that automatically mean it is better?

I am still keen to do the null test thing though on both the drum session and the Roland session too. I think that might be interesting to find out. I am starting to think the null test might be a little more relevant.

DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 - SEE RESULTS in OP 2017/05/07 12:58:31 (permalink)
"All that shows is that the B mix was..."

Give it up Jeff, we luv ya buddy, but SONAR won, as it should, after all this is the

SONAR forum.

post edited by DeeringAmps - 2017/05/07 15:30:36

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 - SEE RESULTS in OP 2017/05/07 14:08:01 (permalink)
Bapu, you prefer mixbus, right?

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
bapu
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 - SEE RESULTS in OP 2017/05/07 14:41:54 (permalink)
gswitz
Bapu, you prefer mixbus, right?

Not exactly the way I would put it. 

From my post #81 above:

"I've maintained from the get go that once I leave SONAR I'm in the final mix and small m mastering stage. Mixbus (for me) fits that bill."

Mosvalve
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1194
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 - SEE RESULTS in OP 2017/05/07 16:18:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/07 17:43:25
I guess there is really no way to compare one DAW to another as they all have thier own special thing. It looks like you can set the emulation in Sonar to most peoples liking as was demostrated in this test. This tells me you can do the same in all DAW's.

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
bapu
Re: Blind A/B Test of SONAR PC CONSOLE vs MIXBUS 32C V3 - SEE RESULTS in OP 2017/05/07 16:38:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/07 17:45:54
My work is done here.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1