Blown Fuse in Subwoofer

Author
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
2011/02/06 12:54:35 (permalink)

Blown Fuse in Subwoofer

Hey folks,

So, I've got the JBL 4326's along with the matching sub and they're networked together.  Room full of Real Traps and RCM on...pretty happy with my mixes and how my mix position sounds.  There are still some peaks and dips in the bass, but its very workable and seems to travel well.

Just blew the fuse on the sub so I'm running just the tops.  It makes sense to me that you can't mix what you can't hear, so how does anyone mix without a sub?  Even with the mains running full range, spec'd down to 50 Hz, it's really different with the sub off.  For example, deep bass on some bass patches that I'd normally roll off because of what the sub tells me, I can't even hear with just the mains.

This got me listening to my headphones alot more closely, which I'd customarily use only for tracking.  I've got the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, and there's just a ton of stuff I hear on them that I've never heard on the monitors and the bass is even more consistent and still at the level I like to hear it...very comparable to the sub being on...just more even.  The full range mains alone just sound a little anemic when the sub is off and compared to the headphones.  I know this is considered a cardinal sin for mixing, but I'm at least going to experiment mixing on these things...no harm in that.

Comments on those observations?

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes

2 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Blown Fuse in Subwoofer 2011/02/06 13:01:30 (permalink)
    You should turn the sub off from time to time..... just to check the mix without it. Most people will not be listening on a system with a sub.

If you don't do this you run the risk of putting out a mix with anemic lows.

I turn it off most often in the final mixing stages.... and also I listen on some $30 Yamaha phones and ear buds on my lappy and my mp3 player...as a reference to what the songs sound like out of the studio system.

I have my sub plugged into a surge strip with a switch in it.... so cutting it off is as easy as pushing a switch on the corner of the work area.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/02/06 13:03:23

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Blown Fuse in Subwoofer 2011/02/06 14:36:22 (permalink)
    doncolga: You may want to take a quick look at this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXs_YTjj2uc&list=SL

The video itself is long (but quite good). If you go to the 24 minute mark (roughly), Jean-Marie and Dave talk about this very subject. It doesn't go into a lot of depth, but a quick glimpse at it from two of the greats.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1