Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder

Author
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
2014/09/18 11:53:41 (permalink)

Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PlugNScript/

Uses AngelScript scripting language and a JIT compiler instead of connect the dots. Looks intriguing.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.

17 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/18 15:27:45 (permalink)
    Looks cool.

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/18 18:38:26 (permalink)
    I just downloaded a demo version - mainly to get the manual.  I'll report back after I've had a chance to read through it.  This thing looks hella intriguing.

drewfx1
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/18 20:15:23 (permalink)
    I looked over the online docs and it looks interesting, but I'd say the phrase, "With this plug-in, you can write your own effects with very little knowledge about programming" is a little misleading as you clearly do have to know how to program. But if you do know how, it looks fairly straightforward, and though they don't seem to have the included scripts online, they do have a picture of a very simple tremolo script:

You can read the docs here:

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Doc/Product_PlugNScript/

and the programming part that one would likely be most interested in starts here:

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Doc/Product_PlugNScript/#ProgrammingReference

I'll probably have to download the demo to learn more, but I'm just intrigued by the fact that it falls into the gray area between full blown programming with the VST SDK and more typical "connect the widgets" builders like Reaktor, which make some things easy, but make other things that are easy in code messy and tedious. 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    bluecat
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/19 03:01:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for mentioning our plug-in. It will indeed be much faster for some particular things that cannot be easily built using  graphical environments.

It's right that you need to know a little bit about programming (scripting), be honestly, it is pretty fast to learn, especially if you have written a little bit of JavaScript, ActionScript, C++ or Java in the past. It is definitely not comparable to writing a VST plug-in from scratch :-).  Also, writing scripts to process MIDI events is very simple, and there are not so many MIDI VSTs out there...

It is even be very convenient for professional audio developers who do know about programming plug-ins, as it can be used to prototype algorithms very quickly: we have been using this for years to build the first prototypes for many of our other plug-ins. Tweaking parameters and algorithms is so fast... And you can do it right into Sonar!
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/19 04:36:28 (permalink)
    I am on my cell ATM, but wanted to make a quick comment so I can find this again.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/19 04:36:29 (permalink)
    Dupe

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/19 09:03:38 (permalink)
    This looks ideal for me as someone with a tantalizingly small knowledge of C++. I always thought it would be fun to write the "logic" part of effects but without getting bogged down in the nerdy DSP side of it (which to be frank I just don't have the time nor the inclination to learn). Will have a good look at this, thanks. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    dmbaer
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/19 16:13:16 (permalink)
    My initial take, although I might be wrong on a point or two - these comments are based upon a single read through the documentation.

Pluses:

Very powerful, object-oriented programming language.  Close enough to C++, C#, Java that anyone who's used those languages will come up to speed very quickly (but a non-programmer isn't going to have a clue).

Clean and uncluttered API - *way* simpler than the Steinberg VST API, for example.

Minuses:

The only UI widget seems to be the knob.  No switches, no selection-list control.

Can only run within the development tool, meaning there's no way to create tools for general distribution.  Only fellow owners of the tool can run your creation.  This looks like it would be a wonderful tool for prototyping effect processing, but it's not going to allow week-end warrior effects developers build stuff for other than their own use.
    bluecat
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/19 16:58:40 (permalink)
    That's an interesting point of view. Thanks for posting!

It's true that the default generic user interface that adapts to loaded scripts proposes only knobs. However, it is possible to build your own user interface using our Skinning Language (descriptive XML), with tons of widgets available (buttons, switches, sliders, 2D or 3D graph displays, etc.). It is a bit more work, but you can end up with a user interface that is dedicated to your script and looks more like a custom plug-in. The current version of the plug-in supports it, but does not show examples of such custom skins. We plan to create a few ones to show this capability in a future update.

It is already possible to share your work with others (if they have the plug-in, that's right), and distributed as a preset with a custom interface, it can look like another plug-in. For sure, it is not the same as exporting it as an independent entity, and that was not the original intent of this plug-in. But that's maybe something we'll do in the future, probably packaged differently. Let's see how people use this and what gets produced! 
    post edited by bluecat - 2014/09/25 03:48:44
    dmbaer
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/20 17:26:34 (permalink)
    bluecat

It is already possible to share your work with others (if they have the plug-in, that's right), and distributed as a preset with a custom interface, it can look like another plug-in. For sure, it is not the same as exporting it as an independent entity, and that was not the original intent of this plug-in. But that's maybe something we'll do in the future, probably packaged differently. Let's see how people use this and what gets produced! 

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that many potential buyers of this product would want to use it because they are interested in developing and sharing technological creations but do not want to commit to the learning curve of doing full-on C++ development with a complex API like that of Steinberg VST.  Think of SynthBuilder folks - I suspect these people should be your target.  One compelling aspect of Plug n Script is that it already covers all the bases WRT 32/64 bit and multiple platforms - something that is always a negative for any SynthBuilder-based software.  But that's just my 2 cents.
    bluecat
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/22 08:13:34 (permalink)
    I agree with you, it could be part of the target. So far, our initial take on this product was to make it usable for people who do not necessarily have great programming skills and just want to write their own effect (MIDI effects especially are simple to write).

But it is not excluded that we may go one step further for more advanced programmers who would like to package and distribute their work as a product. Let's see how the community reacts to this first step! And we still have a couple of things already in work for the future :-)
    drewfx1
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/22 11:31:52 (permalink)
    I'm curious to see the performance/CPU utilization/overhead before expressing an opinion as a tool for building stuff to be distributed. It's going to be a little while before I get a chance to play with it, but there's an introductory price (plus discount for Blue Cat customers) until 10/15, so I have some time. 

Just looking over the docs and API there were no particular dealbreakers for me, just a few, "Gee it would be nice if...".  But it looks like there is some real potential for those who know their way around a programming environment, midi and/or digital audio just well enough to get things done. I'm hoping to find out whether more limitations might be caused by the programmer than the environment. 

bluecat
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/23 17:05:00 (permalink)
    CPU usage for MIDI processing is mostly irrelevant. And for Audio processing, it will definitely not compete with hand-written assembly or well optimized C++ code compiled with a good compiler, but it is still pretty decent for most applications. 

Feel free to tell us your "would be nice" ideas. We are actively working on future updates, so feedback is welcome!
    dmbaer
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/23 18:23:14 (permalink)
    First, let me note that the link to skinning info in the previous post starts "//http://http:" and needs correcting.  But I'm looking forward to checking out what it should be pointing to.

The other thing I'll add is this.  I would hope that you'll concentrate on effects usage rather than plug-ins that do sound production.  The latter category requires a lot of bells and whistles, but some very useful effects can be created with a relatively sparse UI.  And let me amplify an earlier point.  If you do end up offering a free player, I would prefer something like the following.  Allow binding a single script and optional skin into a single distributable file that be installed like a typical dll effect.  In other words, don't have the free player first require loading a script to function - that would be too prone to error.  Just let the user of a PnS-based effect have the easiest of all possible installation requirements to be up and running.  Hopefully I'm making sense here.
    bluecat
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/09/25 03:57:58 (permalink)
    Link fixed, thanks!

If we were to create a "player" or plug-in builder from scripts and skins, yes: this would be the way to go.
    drewfx1
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/10/02 11:34:58 (permalink)
    Just bumping this, as it has already been updated to 1.1.

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PlugNScript/#History

Interestingly, they have already implemented one the main items on my wish list by now supporting the File I/O API. 

bluecat
    Re: Blue Cat Plug'n Script - a different take on a builder 2014/10/02 14:05:56 (permalink)
    Looking forward to hearing your creations! Have you checked our GitHub scripts repository? It already has a couple of new user scripts!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1