Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment)

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Scottytunes
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5695
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2009/11/21 17:33:10 (permalink)
Hey Warren!
Thanks man! I'm glad that you found it to be motivational. Let me know when the lights are all up.

Hi Mark!
Thanks for taking a listen. Much appreciated. I'm not sure that I'm quite prepared to do this live though.

Hi Jimmyman,
Thank you very much for taking this one for a few spins. Sorry that you don't like the sound of the piano. It is a Roland digital grand and it is what it is, no matter how I EQ it. I've tried boosting the highs and high mids and it ends up sounding like a little toy piano.

Hi Beagle,
Long time no see! Thanks for dropping in to take a listen! I hope all is well in Ft. Worth!

String Jammer
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2009/11/22 03:48:22 (permalink)
Hey, Scotty,

This is a really amazing and very distinctive version, with a perfect mix, that I can easily imagine hearing on a Country crossover or even a Contemporary Pop radio station as the holidays approach!

Fantastic performances on all of the instruments, as always, and I've got to agree with Reece, about the violin part really shining.

Excellent work!
Bob
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2009/11/22 06:43:16 (permalink)
Hi Bob,

Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked my derangement!
I had so much fun putting it together that I must have spent a whole 4 hours on this one. 

String Jammer
drumstixkev
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2709
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2009/11/22 10:09:42 (permalink)
Love the tones of the guitars. Your talent really shines in this piece as does the mix. KUDOS!

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2009/11/22 11:05:08 (permalink)
Hi Kevin,

Thank you! I enjoy tinkering around with instruments. It can be fun at times. Sometimes not.

String Jammer
Truckermusic
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1924
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2009/11/22 16:14:22 (permalink)
You know.........I would give anything in the world just to be able to play guitar decently.......let alone all the instruments you do........and do it so well..............Jeeeezzzzzz..............

Therre are a lot of very talented people on this board and you  are at the very top of the list.........

nice job////

Clliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
16 Gig of Ram 
4.5 Gighz
Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
Unibrain Firewire Card
Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
Mackie Big Knob
NI Komplete 8
Machine 2
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2009/11/22 20:15:53 (permalink)
Hey Cliff,
Thanks man! You are waaaayyyyy toooooooo kind!

String Jammer
candy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/07 19:49:46 (permalink)
thanks for your share
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/07 20:00:36 (permalink)
candy

thanks for your share

Wow! Someone actually dug up this year-old thread? Maybe I should re-post the song.  That is if I still have it kicking around....

String Jammer
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/07 20:10:12 (permalink)
I found it! It's at the top of the post/thread.

String Jammer
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/07 23:26:26 (permalink)
Scotty, you're a machine with this stuff man...incredible job on everything! Great sounds, mix, playing....awesome!

One small little crit if I may? (go home Danny, sheesh...you always have something to say) The only thing I would have liked to hear on this is a bit more of an open spread on the instruments. The mix seems very down the middle. Not monophonic mind you....but just a bit too centered with the instruments all sort of hitting similar in the stereo field. That's of course subjective...but in my opinion it would have allowed the instruments to flex their muscles a bit more in the stereo field. Nothing extreme or hard panned...just a bit more spaced out than you had them. Other than that....you're one gifted guy...incredible performance man! Thanks for sharing! :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
bandontherun19
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 824
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/07 23:37:33 (permalink)
Merry Christmas Scotty.

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
----------
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/08 07:16:33 (permalink)
Hi Danny,
You've got great ears, my friend!

This is an old mix, back in the days where I was just a green pea at mixing. I'm sure I would have done it differently if I knew what I do now. 

Did you notice that I left out an entire section of the song? I listen to this tune played back and just shake my head. What a duh moment that was 

String Jammer
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/08 09:39:58 (permalink)
another good one Scotty... great work...
radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/08 10:18:15 (permalink)

Now thats what I'm talking about , a Strat and a fiddle ! Nice going guys this sounds great!

Happy Christmas ! Radio

Danny Danzi
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/08 10:29:36 (permalink)
Scottytunes

Hi Danny,
You've got great ears, my friend!

This is an old mix, back in the days where I was just a green pea at mixing. I'm sure I would have done it differently if I knew what I do now. 

Did you notice that I left out an entire section of the song? I listen to this tune played back and just shake my head. What a duh moment that was 

LOL I did notice that...but figured you left it out by choice. You know how it goes...we sometimes do our own spin on something and either forget a part by accident...or we just do what we feel is best. Kinda like how Van Halen covered "Pretty Woman"...they left that whole middle section out...which I never liked in Roy's version. So I thought maybe you took that approach. :) At any rate...older mix considered....this is still a beautiful job. I can't believe some of the talent in this forum. It's such a great feeling to experience all this passion from everyone with all the different styles.

Question for you if I may? As you know, I too play quite a few different instruments on this end. I had the priviledge to try my hand at violin for the first time about a week ago. I had never tried one believe it or not. I'm thinking "I'm a guitar player...this shouldn't be too hard". Scotty...I usually pick up any instrument and at least get a decent sound out of it even if I don't know what I'm doing. But man...the sound that came out of me was absolutely horrible even with decent fingering. How the heck do ya work that bow like that?! I was really frustrated at myself....kinda angry too...like I felt like going out and buying a fiddle just so I could figure out what I was doing wrong. I've never struggled on an instrument so bad in my life. It was putrid. The harder I tried, the worse it sounded. I've done really well on some of the instruments many would consider prettu challenging. Flute, sax, trumpet, drums...to name a few...but this fiddle business...by far the most difficult instrument I have ever attempted to play.

How long does it normally take before you can play notes that don't sound slightly out of key due to there being no frets? And...how long does it normally take to get a handle on the whole bow technique? I messed with this fiddle for nearly 2 hours and wasn't any further in two hours than I was when I first touched it. LOL! I got some of my fingerings on the left hand a bit more accurate...but that bow thing...man, it was just unbelieavably hard! This definitely takes the cake as the hardest instrument to play...hands down...without a doubt. I got a pretty decent left hand for guitar....it means absolutely nothing in the fiddle game...at least from a beginner stand-point. Maybe if I played for 6 months or something....the left hand that I have would assist a bit more...but I'm blown away at how hard and frustrating this was. God bless you for all that you've sacrificed to get this good on such a difficult instrument. Having tried it and failed like I have....gives me an entirely different perspective and appreciation for anyone playing fiddle, that's for sure.

-Danny

My Site
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/08 13:10:59 (permalink)
Frank,
Thank you!

James,
"Nice going guys"? LOL...that was just me doing all that crap, but thanks! And the "Strat and the Fiddle"? That will be a name for one of my tunes some day. Thanks for that too!

Danny,
Thank you for letting me off the hook there. I seem to remember Van Halen putting the middle part in Pretty Woman. Maybe you heard a live version? Hmmm...nonetheless, thanks. I certainly didn't leave out that part by design.

You have one up on me...I can't play a wind or reed instrument without passing out from a lack of oxygen. LOL.

Like Robby Robbins has been saying for a long time, it takes a special knack to play a fiddle well and he has the same respect and appreciation for it as you do. The length of time it takes for one to be able to draw a clean and true tone out of a fiddle depends on the person. I was doing it within a day or two, but I know many who have been trying for 50 to 70 years and still don't sound worth a crap. It takes a lot of patience, and as long as you have a good ear for intonation, playing in tune isn't so hard either...it just takes time to get your fingers to go in the exact right spot automatically. It could take weeks, moths or even years, but if it is something you want to do, then don't give up on it until you've tried for a half hour per day for a full year without results. As for the bowing, (no joke) it's all in the wrist. Use wrist movements more than arm/shoulder movements and you'll attain more bow control resulting in a smoother tone.  Holding the bow correctly is half the battle. It is uncomfortable for beginners, but feels natural after a while. The following link can get you started with this: [link=http://www.singingwood.com/violin-bow-hold/HowToHoldTheViolinBow.html]http://www.singingwood.co...oHoldTheViolinBow.html[/link]

Good luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance in the fiddle department!

String Jammer
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/08 14:01:02 (permalink)
Cool tune and a nice rendition too. 

I was waiting for either Buffer or Porky to vocalize at any minute..... alas...perhaps next year.... 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/08 14:25:37 (permalink)
Buffer...Porky....same thing. LOL

String Jammer
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/08 16:07:41 (permalink)
It's the conacopia of Christmas songs!  Fun, light-hearted snappy too!  Great job.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/08 16:21:37 (permalink)
Thank you, Rimshot!

String Jammer
Danny Danzi
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/09 10:15:23 (permalink)
Scottytunes

Danny,
Thank you for letting me off the hook there. I seem to remember Van Halen putting the middle part in Pretty Woman. Maybe you heard a live version? Hmmm...nonetheless, thanks. I certainly didn't leave out that part by design.

You have one up on me...I can't play a wind or reed instrument without passing out from a lack of oxygen. LOL.

Like Robby Robbins has been saying for a long time, it takes a special knack to play a fiddle well and he has the same respect and appreciation for it as you do. The length of time it takes for one to be able to draw a clean and true tone out of a fiddle depends on the person. I was doing it within a day or two, but I know many who have been trying for 50 to 70 years and still don't sound worth a crap. It takes a lot of patience, and as long as you have a good ear for intonation, playing in tune isn't so hard either...it just takes time to get your fingers to go in the exact right spot automatically. It could take weeks, moths or even years, but if it is something you want to do, then don't give up on it until you've tried for a half hour per day for a full year without results. As for the bowing, (no joke) it's all in the wrist. Use wrist movements more than arm/shoulder movements and you'll attain more bow control resulting in a smoother tone.  Holding the bow correctly is half the battle. It is uncomfortable for beginners, but feels natural after a while. The following link can get you started with this: [link=http://www.singingwood.com/violin-bow-hold/HowToHoldTheViolinBow.html]http://www.singingwood.co...oHoldTheViolinBow.html[/link]

Good luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance in the fiddle department!
Scotty, thanks so much for the in depth response and for pointing me in the right direction. I think I may buy a fiddle just to see if I can figure it out. I like a nice little challenge...ok this was more than a little challenge...it was a frustrating challenge that I couldn't get enough of! Hahahaha!

LOL @ letting you off the hook...trust me brother, my respect for you is of the highest degree. I only say things because I care...never to upset you. Sometimes I say too much...but when I'm too passive, it makes me feel I may have done an injustice. I'd never comment for the sake of a voice. Though we all may have subjective opinions on mixes and instrumentation as this is just the way this field is...your playing, writing and execution will never be questioned and I'll always be a fan of yours. From the heart man. :) Thanks again.

-Danny

My Site
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/09 10:52:19 (permalink)
Danny Danzi

Scottytunes

Danny,

Scotty, thanks so much for the in depth response and for pointing me in the right direction. I think I may buy a fiddle just to see if I can figure it out. I like a nice little challenge...ok this was more than a little challenge...it was a frustrating challenge that I couldn't get enough of! Hahahaha!

LOL @ letting you off the hook...trust me brother, my respect for you is of the highest degree. I only say things because I care...never to upset you. Sometimes I say too much...but when I'm too passive, it makes me feel I may have done an injustice. I'd never comment for the sake of a voice. Though we all may have subjective opinions on mixes and instrumentation as this is just the way this field is...your playing, writing and execution will never be questioned and I'll always be a fan of yours. From the heart man. :) Thanks again.

-Danny
Thank you, Danny! I'm both touched and honored by your kind words.

String Jammer
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/09 13:59:34 (permalink)
Slide a beer down this way!

I feel like I'm in a saloon. I love it!

Very cool! Well done Scotty!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/09 19:04:34 (permalink)
Hey GP! Thanks for tuning in! Thanks for your kind words and have a great weekend!

String Jammer
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/12 12:21:35 (permalink)
It's also going to be a 'blur' Christmas like they all are Scotty!! This was full of tasty playing and I just realised when this was first posted.... there's the 'blur' factor again!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/12 15:14:41 (permalink)
Scott, Really well done, the steel and fiddle sections are my favorites but it is all quite good stuff. I could listen to your stuff all day long (that is if my wife would give me back your Christmas CD;)) Regards
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/12 15:22:34 (permalink)
Larry,
Thanks for listening and for your kind words! You kind of lost me with the blur stuff, but I'm a little slow on the uptake.

Mark,
Thank you very much! The "steel" is actually a Les Paul.

String Jammer
markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/12 15:27:10 (permalink)
Yes, I read that in the thread about the steel being a guitar. It shows your ability as a musician to be able to make one instrument sound like another through articulation, bends, technique, etc.... Hell, sometimes I have a hard time making a guitar sound like a guitar;). Regards
Scottytunes
Re:Blue Christmas (Instrumental Experiment) 2011/12/12 19:49:08 (permalink)
LOL....Thanks again and again, Mark!

String Jammer
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1