Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/20 15:05:45 (permalink)
I was under the impression that it didn't matter what you done at a BIOS level, because of the way ACPI works XP just sorts them all out the way it wants them anyway. Is this not the case?

You could of course disable ACPI but you're a braver man than me if you do. I think that'll create as many problems as it solves and unless you're into reassigning IRQs yourself via the BIOS I would give it a miss personally.

EDIT: Just looked into this a bit further and here is a warning from Microsoft in their http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

"If you select an incorrect HAL, you may not be able to start Windows 2000, or you may have other issues. Although the selections are now limited, you should change the HAL only if you are sure that the selected HAL works on your system. The options that are presented here are known to be compatible with most systems. However, a few systems may experience problems."

I know it mentions Windows 2000 but the kb is relevant to XP.

As I said earlier mess at your own peril and you're braver than me.
post edited by FastBikerBoy - 2009/02/20 17:15:54
Shadeline
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/21 06:56:23 (permalink)
Just uninstalled SP3 and my M-Audio driver.. then I reinstalled SP3 first, then made sure I had reinstalled all updates.. then I reinstalled M-Audio driver. I hope this works.
Shadeline
RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/21 15:28:02 (permalink)
Okay, I have had time to fool around with Sonar Producer 8.0.2 and since the reinstall of SP3 and m-audio drivers.. I have had fewer BSOD :) Although, I still get them.. I believe I have narrowed it down to editting. When I edit a clip or use WRITE automation, or do any heavy midi editting with-in Sonar.. that in itself will give me a BSOD. Just normal playing / recording music does not do the BSOD. It happens when I do heavy Editing with Sonar.

My last BSOD was when I was Writing Automation of Volume while listening and using the Console View. The Mini-Memory dump still says its the Driver's fault. M-Audio Delta 1010LT!!

I think I may uninstall that driver and try an older one, since Im using the latest driver.. I wonder if that will fix it.. I may not try this right way.. but when I do.. I"ll post my progress.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/21 15:36:46 (permalink)
That's the way..... persevering, tweaking and the odd scream.

I used to get loads but slowly and surely fine tuning has got them down to so far with 8 (fingers crossed) zero.

The older driver may help, the latest are not always an improvement. Good luck.
GuyPicks
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/21 16:11:26 (permalink)
I had an AMD system and kept getting blue screen.
I did a memcheck and did find out it was a memory stick.
Worked fine after replacement.
May not be your case though.
Different things can cause blue screen.

ADK Pro Audio RackMounted Computer
Sonar X3d
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 
2x 24" Dell Dual Display
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
12GB Ram
4x HDs 
Edirol PCR-800
Shadeline
RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/22 11:19:16 (permalink)
memtest86 I ran over night after the install, and it said I passed all tests.

Also, update:

Okay this is what I did last night which took me about 8 hours.. lets see if I can say this in one breath or two..hehe:

I formated my hard drive. Installed a fresh copy of Windows XP SP2, then installed my hardward drivers to enable my USB, Ethernet from my motherbaord, then added Mcafee total protection, then from there only installed all the Windows updates and made sure I even had all the hardware updates from windows also... (I did not install my m-audio drivers yet), then after I had all my windows updates I continued my fresh install with installing my video drivers, then I installed Sonar Producer 8, Beatscape, Dimension Pro, and Content... Then I installl the updates 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 for Sonar Producer, then I installed beatscape updates... Then I installed Finally Installed the latest M-Audio driver. Then I felt safe to install Goldwave, Revo Uninstaller, CCleaner, 7-zip, Nero 7-Essentials. And that completed my install.

I did not install project 2.5 yet, because I wonder if it conflicts with Sonar Producer?

I have been working with Sonar Producer on the new install, and I still get BSOD.. although this time I could hear flizzle and cracks / pops before the blue screen since I was using a headphone set to do my editing.. Urm... I didnt install the debuger yet.. I"ll do that to see if its another driver fault!!

BSOD!! I hate them.

funkycornwall
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/22 11:26:08 (permalink)
I would avoid McAfee like the plague - almost as bad as Norton and may cause all kinds of conflicts. The only problem is, like Norton, it is quite difficult to remove from the system and you sometimes have to download a special tool from McAfee to securely get rid of all traces so as to enable you to install an alternative antivirus system. I use Zone Alarm Security Suite which I think is pretty good overall and there are also free antivius sofware which is highly recommended by some. I have had trouble in the past with both Norton and McAfee and would steer anyone away from these.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/22 12:10:45 (permalink)
+1 on Norton, never used McAfee.

Shadeline you may be chasing the holy grail so-to-speak. If it is the M-Audio drivers causing the BSOD there's not much you can do about it other than see if there's anything specific that causes it and try and avoid that action. May not be ideal, may not be practical but unfortunately that's about as good as it gets. Other options are a different interface soundcard but that's no guarantee. I can't say I've seen many complaining about m-audio drivers on here so maybe there's something specific about your system that's not helping.

Try changing driver mode - if you're using ASIO swap to WDM or vice-versa. ASIO4ALL is also well worth trying, it's helped cure almost all my BSODs caused by crappy Alesis drivers.
Shadeline
RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/02/23 20:34:05 (permalink)
Funny thing is, just a few moments ago.. I had a project opened in Sonar Producer and was doing nothing other than talking on the phone to one of my good friends for about 40 minutes when all of a sudden BSOD??? And I was not even using the computer! Just talking on the phone!
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/03/04 22:26:30 (permalink)
I run nearly the same rig as the OP, but without issue.. Only a minor one , but I disabled the network card that was sharing and it's fine. I also run SP3
also the version of the delta drivers is the SP3 one off the website?

my money (if I had any ) is it's to do with IRQ's being shared..

Shadeline , can you give a list of irq's .. off device manager.. system.. view by resource IRQ.

also give it the once over with this
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

run both the clean / registry tabs.. backup registry when it gives you the option... and rescan till you get zero or near zero errors.. reboot..

also when installing ccleaner, there is a "toolbar" thats for a browser that you may not want, I always untick that.

gtrshop
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/04/18 07:13:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gordonrussell76

Not entirely true, you can do some moving of IRQ's at the BIOS level, there is usually 1 per physical slot in your machine. Depending on how good the Bios Config options are on your motherboard you may find some leverage there.

G

I was just about to say that! Instead of allowing the BIOS/OS to dictate which IRQ is assigned (usually PCI=AUTO, or IRQ=AUTO), set the value to a predetermined value. As gordonrussell76 said, it's BIOS dependant. You take away some hardware managability from XP and throw the onus back on you, the configurator. I've built quite a few DAW's and have only had to resort to this once.

Interestingly...back to the BSOD issue.... I solve my own by simply moving 1 RAM module from slot 2 to slot 3. After a fresh reload (and a complete backup before and again after any significant changes, No more BSOD.

I'd highly recommend Acronis for backing up stuff.
Shadeline
Re: RE: Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/12/20 08:50:11 (permalink)
Okay, Im going to take back what I said about it being the sound card M-Audio 1010LT and Sonar Producer software.

The work just perfectly!

All I did was bought a new computer.. not just any new computer a Intel!

Ive done alot of research and found the AMD can not handle the processing of audio very well.  So, I bought a Intel system.

My new system that runs M-Audio 1010LT PCI card, and Sonar Producer bought 64 bit and 32 bit versions:

Intel Core i7 CPU 920 2.67 GHz

6.00 GB Ram

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Dual EVGA 1GB DDR3 SLI-enabled Video cards (not really need for sound production)

M-Audio 1010LT PCI card

Windows Experience Ratings are from 1.0 to 7.9
Processor: 7.4
Memory(RAM): 7.5
Graphics: 6.9
Gaming Graphics: 6.9
Primary hard disk: 5.9

The score is determined by the lowest subscore: 5.9

Now since I know AMD cant handle Audio very well and it was never my software or Audio processing card..

Well must say I'M SORRY CAKEWALK!  I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS MY COMPUTER SETUP CAUSING THE PROBLEMS!

:P
daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re:Blue Screen while using Sonar Producer 8.0.2 on XP SP3 2009/12/20 11:11:29 (permalink)
Blue screens can also be a sign of faulty memory chips. (Page Faults and Bad Pool Caller messages would indicate this.) I was getting blue screens on my work laptop and I ran Memtest and it found a bad memory chip. Download memtest from the web and burn it to a CD, reboot and let it run overnight. If you have more than one chip, to find the culprit you have to run it on one chip at a time. If you don't get any errors, your memory is good. If you do, you have to replace the chip. Fortunately I bought my chip from Crucial and they are replacing it for free.
post edited by daveny5 - 2009/12/20 11:14:36

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1