Bluegrass?

Author
davestoy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 419
2005/09/03 11:31:09 (permalink)

Bluegrass?

OK, I've never done this before, so I am asking this list for some help, here. I have a Bluegrass/Gospel group coming Sept. 12 to do a session. Now, I've never had to do this kind of group before (OK, expanding my horizons!), so I'm asking this group for advice on how to mic the instruments. They have a dobro, mandolin, ac guitar, upright bass, rhythm guitar. I think the r guitar and the other guitar have electronics built in, so they shouldn't be much of a problem. But what about those others? How close would you place the mic? What angle? Is the 57 the best for those?
I know this isn't many details, but for now, this is all I got. Kinda puts you in the same situation, doesn't it? (not knowing, I mean)
Anyway, I appreciate the help I know is gonna come my way!

David

S8PE
WinXP SP3
P4 2.66 Dual Core Asus P5LD2
3 GB Ram
Radeon X300/X550 series dual video card
RME Multiface II
Mackie Onyx 800R Mic PreAmp
2 internal Glyph Seagate (80GB & 200gb)
1 external Maxtor 120GB HD (for backup)
Dynaudio BM5A

5 Replies Related Threads

glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Bluegrass? 2005/09/03 11:47:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: davestoy
    OK, I've never done this before, so I am asking this list for some help, here. I have a Bluegrass/Gospel group coming Sept. 12 to do a session. Now, I've never had to do this kind of group before (OK, expanding my horizons!), so I'm asking this group for advice on how to mic the instruments. They have a dobro, mandolin, ac guitar, upright bass, rhythm guitar. I think the r guitar and the other guitar have electronics built in, so they shouldn't be much of a problem. But what about those others? How close would you place the mic? What angle? Is the 57 the best for those?
    I know this isn't many details, but for now, this is all I got. Kinda puts you in the same situation, doesn't it? (not knowing, I mean)
    Anyway, I appreciate the help I know is gonna come my way!

David

David -

You need to talk to them. I've done a fair amount of work with bluegrass groups. The real purists insist on recording with only one mike, the old fashioned way. Resist this at all costs, unless they are REALLY experienced and accomplished recording experts. This technique requires that they be perfect and precise in their movementys stepping up to and away from the mike. I've never had a group that can really pull it off. Most, after a frustrating few hours of experimenting, agree to settle on a more conventional approach to recording.

So, after getting rid of that one, let's assume one mike per instrument. I don't know what mikes you have, so take this as aguide:

Dobro - SM57 is great, you won't find anything better for this (at less tha $1,000!)
    Acoustic Guitar - use built in line + a condenser mike - record to 2 tracks
    Double Bass - one mike on F Hole (eg Rode NT2, Studio Projects C1) one near bridge (eg NT3, SM57)
    Rhythm Guitar - use built in line + a condenser mike - record to 2 tracks
    Mandolin - NT3 or similar near bridge

... plus of course, a vocal mike or two! And definitely hang up one or two omnioid mikes as room mikes, to really capture their "flavour".

Hope this helps
    post edited by glazfolk - 2005/09/03 20:08:54

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    davestoy
    RE: Bluegrass? 2005/09/03 22:42:58 (permalink)
    I had thought about most of what you just said, glazfolk, so you re-affirmed my thinking! I always enjoy a challenge, and this is one I will definitely enjoy!
    Thank you for your prompt reply!

David

S8PE
    WinXP SP3
    3 GB Ram
    RME Multiface II
    Dynaudio BM5A
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: Bluegrass? 2005/09/04 00:17:44 (permalink)
    If you can afford it, pick up the Audio Technica 4033. Very friendly mic for guitars, mandolin and even the acoustic bass.

I agree on the 57 on the dobro, it will flatten out the transients. You may also need some significant limiting or compression too.
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Bluegrass? 2005/09/04 05:03:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: davestoy

I had thought about most of what you just said, glazfolk, so you re-affirmed my thinking! I always enjoy a challenge, and this is one I will definitely enjoy!
    Thank you for your prompt reply!

David

David,
    Nothing IMHO in the world of recording is as satisfying as recording good, clean acoustic music and then trying to fauthfully reproduce it on CD as if it were a kive sound, to make it feel to the listener that the group is right there in the room with them. For mine, you can take all them synthesizers and take them where the sun don't shine! You're just going to have a fantastic time. Let us know how it goes, won't you?
    Best, Geoff
    davestoy
    RE: Bluegrass? 2005/09/04 06:17:25 (permalink)
    I'll be sure to post and let you know how it went, Geoff! Thanks again!

David

S8PE
    WinXP SP3
    3 GB Ram
    RME Multiface II
    Dynaudio BM5A
    Jump to: