Blues harp amp tones?

Author
mixsit
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 789
2007/05/12 18:13:11 (permalink)

Blues harp amp tones?

I've noticed recording distorted bules harps that sometimes there will be low-harmonic tones going on unrelated to the notes being played -basically a growlling pitch paralleling a few octaves or so below the bending notes being played, like the new pitch that can be created when you mix two tones in a distorted setting.

So I'm wondering, are some amps better in the way they distort in applications like this than others?
Low filtering seems to help, but not without killing the warm broad body they're often going for.

Wayne Smith
Part time long time..
CathouseSound 
Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
Portals - RME

7 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Blues harp amp tones? 2007/05/12 21:54:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mixsit

I've noticed recording distorted bules harps that sometimes there will be low-harmonic tones going on unrelated to the notes being played -basically a growlling pitch paralleling a few octaves or so below the bending notes being played, like the new pitch that can be created when you mix two tones in a distorted setting.

So I'm wondering, are some amps better in the way they distort in applications like this than others?
    Low filtering seems to help, but not without killing the warm broad body they're often going for.

What mic is being used ? You don't want a hi-fi mic. The mic needs to act as a EQ. The old crystal mics were used a lot like the Astatic JT30. A mic made for ham and CB radio seems to work fine.
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Blues harp amp tones? 2007/05/13 00:24:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ohhey
    What mic is being used ? You don't want a hi-fi mic. The mic needs to act as a EQ. The old crystal mics were used a lot like the Astatic JT30. A mic made for ham and CB radio seems to work fine.

I assume you mean for the harp not on the amp. And it would seem to make sense that it would help if the amp didn't see a lot of sub-info at it's input.
    In this case he used his own bullet' style mic with a volume control on it but I don't know which model.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    ohhey
    RE: Blues harp amp tones? 2007/05/13 01:00:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mixsit

I assume you mean for the harp not on the amp. And it would seem to make sense that it would help if the amp didn't see a lot of sub-info at it's input.
    In this case he used his own bullet' style mic with a volume control on it but I don't know which model.

If it's a custom or modern bullet it may have too much low end response you need a real low-fi mic made just for radio transmision, the "worse" the mic the better. If you can sing into the mic and it sound fairly good you have the wrong mic. You want a poor quality mic. You can't do the blues with good gear... it just doesn't work.

Also, an amp with a very small speaker is nice, like a 6 inch.
    post edited by ohhey - 2007/05/13 01:05:12
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Blues harp amp tones? 2007/05/15 15:18:02 (permalink)

You can't do the blues with good gear... it just doesn't work.

Ha ha, I love that statement. I used to play with a blues band and I would take my Korg combo organ. I had to tweak my presets because they were too clean. When I got them good and grimy, everything sounded great.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    ohhey
    RE: Blues harp amp tones? 2007/05/15 15:29:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: themidiroom

Ha ha, I love that statement. I used to play with a blues band and I would take my Korg combo organ. I had to tweak my presets because they were too clean. When I got them good and grimy, everything sounded great.

Any time I'm working on acoustic blues I drag out my old 1967 Gibson LG0. The finish is all messed up and stained, the keys are rusted and one is bent a little.... it looks cheap and thin and funky. Oh, and the sound is spot on. Twang... squak, donk, rattle, gotta love it. I think Robert Johnson would grin (maybe laugh) if he could see me play that thing.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Blues harp amp tones? 2007/05/15 15:44:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: themidiroom

I always liked this list:
    http://www.analogman.com/singblues.htm

Edit: wrong link beofre. This one's much better.
    post edited by yep - 2007/05/15 15:49:59
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Blues harp amp tones? 2007/05/15 16:11:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep
    I always liked this list:
    http://www.analogman.com/singblues.htm

Edit: wrong link beofre. This one's much better.

Cool list! Yea St. Louis! We have a big Blues festival on the riverfront every year and I had the honor of being Fontella Bass' organist one year.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1