Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/11 11:03:58 (permalink)
One of my benchmarks for a judging a good book is whether or not I feel motivated to re-read parts of it. Most of my favorites have been revisited many times, sometimes re-read in their entirety, sometimes just favorite chapters.

Izhaki qualifies, as does Bob Katz's Mastering Audio and the classic Master Handbook of Acoustics by F. Alton Everest. I think Clark's book may join that list because I just re-read the section by Dave Pensado on mixing, and it brought the same smile it invoked on the first pass.

Pensado is a genius. I know this because he agrees with me.

Here's my philosophy of mixing, as amplified by Dave Pensado:

The human brain excels at pattern processing, something that has eluded programmers' attempts to teach to computers. I'm talking about an infant's ability to pick out mom's voice in a crowd, or our ability to identify a tambourine in a mix. Software can't do that! (Which is why Melodyne DNA is such a mind-blowing achievement.) But all humans excel at it, and do it automatically.

Human brains have limits, of course. For one thing, we can only process a maximum of 3 things at once. In fact, we cannot actually comprehend any number larger than 3. (Try this exercise: in your mind, picture 3 sticks in a row - no problem. Now picture 5 sticks. Your internal photograph comprises 2 sticks next to 3 sticks. And forget trying to imagine 20 sticks, it can't be done. Three is the biggest number we can truly grasp.)

So when Pensado talks about people being able to process a maximum of 3 hooks in a song, he's combining these concepts. A hook constitutes a pattern, and our brains naturally latch onto patterns. All music needs hooks - but no more than 3 at a time. If you're targeting a kids' market (e.g. Sesame Street), you'd better have just 1 hook at a time. But all songs need at least 1 hook to keep listeners' brains engaged.

A mix engineer's job is to make sure that at least one hook has the listener's attention at all times (but no more than three at once). For every measure, section, verse, chorus, bridge, intro and break, the engineer has to figure out what component should be in the listener's foreground consciousness at that moment and shine a light on it. A bad mix is one that does not lead the listener's ear to the featured hook.

Pensado also talks about layers, another of my favorite mix concepts. A song has to be easily comprehensible on first listen, with an easily-identifiable hook. But if you want your audience to listen to the song repeatedly, you'll need to give them a reward in the form of more subtle hooks that may escape notice on the first pass but be revealed during subsequent listens.

I remember the joy of listening to familiar albums after buying new monitors. Even a longtime favorite such as Dark Side of the Moon revealed new details I had never noticed before. What a treat! I realized then that a good mixer like Alan Parsons will intentionally hide these little nuggets, knowing casual listeners will not notice them at first, only to discover them later.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
feedback50
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 564
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/11 11:54:13 (permalink)
Great input Bit! I'm definitely going to put this book on my wish list. I think the concept of understanding the human mind and hearing in general is a great tool to use when mixing. There are some good insights in "this is your brain on music" toward that end.

I am slowly postulating some theories about audio spectrum and space. I think all of us have experienced why some tunes have rhythmic input an others don't. For me it's often the silences, especially if those allow the ears to recover before a percussive sound like a snare hit. Listen to some of the best funk grooves and you will see the band go to complete silence for a split second before a snare hit. That space allows the ear to recover which lets the snare hit have much more impact. This generally happens at least once every two bars.

In mixing local bands I've had the problem of them wanting "big guitars" but not knowing how to arrange them. More tracks of super-distorted high frequencies don't get there. In metal bands it's often those Chug tracks that make it happen which is stacatto with lots of space. It is also the edges of the attacks of the guitars that let your ears percieve space of wide mixed guitars. Sustain just kills the effect. The more I mix, the more I'm of the opinion that it's not just the space (silences) in the entire mix, but the relief you give your listeners in each area of the spectrum. Constant high freq distortion numbs the listener's ears to percussive sounds like closed hihat. Even the grunge era mixes often go back to fairly un-distorted guitars in the verses, and there is often undistorted guitar mixed in under the distorted ones that lend tonality to the mix. The most common mistake I hear with young bands in the studio is to use too much distortion (which you can't fix in the mix). I think it comes from the insecurity of their live performances not sounding nearly as big as the recorded bands they hear on CD. 

Same goes for the low end. Good bass players don't fill up all the cracks with sustained notes. They leave gaps that let the kick have impact. I think the listener's ears can O.D. on most any section of the spectrum in which case they tune it out, if nothing dynamically changes in that spectrum (the pattern is matched, the pattern is known, the brain ignores it and moves on to find a new pattern). It's the variety and changing dynamics in each area of the spectrum that gives the mix impact.

post edited by feedback50 - 2010/09/11 11:56:49
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/11 14:03:27 (permalink)
I remember the joy of listening to familiar albums after buying new monitors. Even a longtime favorite such as Dark Side of the Moon revealed new details I had never noticed before. What a treat! I realized then that a good mixer like Alan Parsons will intentionally hide these little nuggets, knowing casual listeners will not notice them at first, only to discover them later.

If there's one thing I appreciate about great mixers (and there are many things I appreciate about them), it's that they are not lazy.   It's almost as if EVERY moment, from start to finish of a track, is completely under their control and they have gone through it with a fine tooth comb making things 'work'.

If anyone doesn't think mixing isn't an artform (as well as a technical one), they just don't get it.

I'm SO jealous of great mixers.   But it reminds of me an old saying:
"An artist makes that which is difficult look easy".

Looks are deceiving, but mixing isn't ;)

And, again - thanks for your intelligent (and humorous) thought as always, Dave.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
ba_midi
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/11 14:05:48 (permalink)
The most common mistake I hear with young bands in the studio is to use too much distortion (which you can't fix in the mix). I think it comes from the insecurity of their live performances not sounding nearly as big as the recorded bands they hear on CD.

I think it also comes from a band not being able to translate the energy of live vs the compactness of recorded material.

It's the old "boost" mentality vs the "cut/attenuate" mentality.   That's where great mixers come in, of course.

Making something sound "big" yet having to fit all the frequencies into small speakers - that truly is an artform.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

feedback50
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/11 14:41:36 (permalink)
Agreed Billy. The reality is that you can't actually squeeze what you hear from a bandstand worth of equipment through two little speakers of the playback environment. A great mix engineer can work magic in implying the same energy of the original performance.

My own experience is that recordings often reveal the shortcomings of less stellar acts. What seems energetic and talented in performance at a local club, often falls apart in the studio, where lack of tighness in the rhythm section, and sloppy incomplete arranging can impact the product adversely. Too often I find them still arranging when they get to the studio, and over-complicating their arrangement such that the best parts of the song are hopelessly obscured by a clutter of poorly formed ideas.

Also, I find there is such a rare knack to backing a vocal artistically. Too many less experienced players just don't get it. The good ones can bury their egos long enough to complement the vocals with a solid foundation, and fills between phrases that form a subtle tapestry of counter-melodies that keep the listener fascinated throughout the song.
ba_midi
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/11 14:58:35 (permalink)
Agreed Billy. The reality is that you can't actually squeeze what you hear from a bandstand worth of equipment through two little speakers of the playback environment. A great mix engineer can work magic in implying the same energy of the original performance.

I had been away from making music seriously for awhile.  And these days, I'm a one-man everything -- write, play, arrange, produce, mix, etc., all In The Box.   It's taken me a long time to grow into doing everything.   And the one thing I came to realize more than anything, is that one has to be really aware of the "middle" where, as you know, so much energy happens in the frequency spectrum.

For a long time, not having my groove back yet, I kept "pushing" things, boosting things, etc.   Oy - what a mistake lol.
Then one night about 1 1/2 ago, I was a little buzzed after drinking and dancing all night, came back home and was listening to some tracks (done by others) I really like.   It was like an epiphony.   My ears suddenly heard that "my" tracks had WAAAAYYY too much super low and WAAYYY too much mid stuff.  It was clear as a bell at that moment.

SO the next few tracks I did I started pulling out all kinds of 'junk' and doing A/B against tracks I like/respect.  Sure enough, the more I pulled out (attenuated), the better things sounded.   MORE imoprtantly - the better they "fit" into those speakers.

Now I'm not anywhere near where I'd like to be with respect to engineering/mixing (and I should mention I'm doing 99.99% soft synth/sampler/plugins, not acoustic stuff ... and almost all MIDI) -- but the lesson is -- as has been pointed out in this thread:  the great tracks somehow give the illusion of being bigger than they actually are.

When I analyze a record/track I really like, and get into really critical listening mode, as opposed to just being a reactive listener, it becomes clear that the pyscho-acoustic nature of mixing is incredibly important.

And I think you hit it on the nail about those who can put aside their egos for the sake of production values and techniques to support the artist and artistry.   But those who can't do that, they will either be no-hit-wonders, one-hit-wonders, or I-wonder-what happened types ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

feedback50
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/11 17:04:43 (permalink)
I've had a similar experience (cutting instead of boosting). For me it's a build up in the upper mids (where distorted guitars, high end of vocals, acoustic guitar transients, and cymbals live). It's not just the content (choice of tones and playing techniques) but the cumulative impact of inexpensive pre's and mic's all of which are trying to add "sheen" to make them appear more hi-fi. The same applies to many synth patches, particularly the ones they like to demo in the stores. Everything Can't be that big! Un-hyping these tracks individually through eq cuts can add up to a much more pleasing product. You can save this part of the spectrum for things that really count.

Another difficult lesson is to know the difference between fideltity and real content. Subwoofers can be addictive ear-candy that will mess with your expectations of what a normal mix should sound like. They can be used sparingly to compensate for inefficiencies in your monitors, but beware of thier addictive nature. The same goes for mixing to compensate for fidelity (highs or lows). I try to make sure there is some content throughout the spectrum so mastering can push something besides noise if it needs to be eq'd to match other songs in a collection. But I don't try to make my monitors or stereo sound better than it actually is. The mix will never translate well. Bouncing back to a reference cd helps but the mastering on pro CDs is tough to comensate for.

ba_midi
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/11 17:26:36 (permalink)
feedback50

I've had a similar experience (cutting instead of boosting). For me it's a build up in the upper mids (where distorted guitars, high end of vocals, acoustic guitar transients, and cymbals live). It's not just the content (choice of tones and playing techniques) but the cumulative impact of inexpensive pre's and mic's all of which are trying to add "sheen" to make them appear more hi-fi. The same applies to many synth patches, particularly the ones they like to demo in the stores. Everything Can't be that big! Un-hyping these tracks individually through eq cuts can add up to a much more pleasing product. You can save this part of the spectrum for things that really count.

Another difficult lesson is to know the difference between fideltity and real content. Subwoofers can be addictive ear-candy that will mess with your expectations of what a normal mix should sound like. They can be used sparingly to compensate for inefficiencies in your monitors, but beware of thier addictive nature. The same goes for mixing to compensate for fidelity (highs or lows). I try to make sure there is some content throughout the spectrum so mastering can push something besides noise if it needs to be eq'd to match other songs in a collection. But I don't try to make my monitors or stereo sound better than it actually is. The mix will never translate well. Bouncing back to a reference cd helps but the mastering on pro CDs is tough to comensate for.

Yup.  We've actually had a few threads even recently about subwoofers, etc.  I use it ONLY to check a final mix or just before to make sure I don't have TOO much build up there.  But some records I like (and are hits) have a TON of 'stuff' down there at times.  Obviously those producers didn't care about that and still had a hit lol.

I try to keep my monitors (these days) as flat as I possibly can, and 'learn' to know them (ie, their strengths and deficiencies) so that after awhile I know what I'm listening to - and for.

It's funny - even using spectrum analyzers, one can not really see everything -- and then the ears have to be in charge;  conversely, sometimes I hear something but can't put my finger on it, that's when an analyzer helps.

I'm with you on this, though.  I try to keep my environment as good as I can, so I can trust what I'm hearing at the end of the day that's what matters.

The rest is all taste/judgments/choices.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

bitflipper
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/11 19:01:03 (permalink)
There is one really good piece of wisdom in Charles Dye's "Mix it Like a Record" DVD, which is that learning to mix is an evolutionary process. You don't just one day learn some secret technique that makes it all come together. Such a technique doesn't exist. A good mix is the sum of many, many small decisions.

One example is bass management. A common complaint from mastering engineers is they often get mixes with way too much bass in them, and occasionally, way too little. Bob Ludwig has said that the vast majority of what mastering engineers do is compensate for errors in mix engineers' playback systems.

Subwoofers aren't the answer, and for most of us, building a proper room (large, with the right dimensions, and lots of trapping) isn't an option. So what's a serious amateur to do? Well, we can use visual aids, for one thing. SPAN, Har-Bal and EQs with spectral overlays can be your friends.

But there is a Catch-22: if we don't know how much bass we should be hearing, how will we ever know how much bass we should be seeing? What does a nice, round bottom look like? No, I don't mean Angelina Jolie in spandex. I mean the display in SPAN.

If you load up a good commercial mix into SONAR, you can then apply the exact same visual aids to it that you use for your own mixes. Make notes, take pictures. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you immediately know if there's too much at 50Hz, even if your speakers don't accurately reproduce it. And then you'll have added just one more technique to your toolkit, one more step toward the day when, as Charles Dye says, you listen to your mix and think "wow, that sounds like a RECORD!".

post edited by bitflipper - 2010/09/11 19:02:05

My Stuff
ba_midi
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/11 19:40:18 (permalink)
bitflipper

There is one really good piece of wisdom in Charles Dye's "Mix it Like a Record" DVD, which is that learning to mix is an evolutionary process. You don't just one day learn some secret technique that makes it all come together. Such a technique doesn't exist. A good mix is the sum of many, many small decisions.

HA, don't remind me!  Just when I think I know something, along comes a ton of stuff I don't know!  Oy :)

One example is bass management. A common complaint from mastering engineers is they often get mixes with way too much bass in them, and occasionally, way too little. Bob Ludwig has said that the vast majority of what mastering engineers do is compensate for errors in mix engineers' playback systems.

Subwoofers aren't the answer, and for most of us, building a proper room (large, with the right dimensions, and lots of trapping) isn't an option. So what's a serious amateur to do? Well, we can use visual aids, for one thing. SPAN, Har-Bal and EQs with spectral overlays can be your friends.

But there is a Catch-22: if we don't know how much bass we should be hearing, how will we ever know how much bass we should be seeing? What does a nice, round bottom look like? No, I don't mean Angelina Jolie in spandex. I mean the display in SPAN.

LOL -- and I thought a bottom is a bottom :)     But boy - getting the bottom is hard for sure.  Highs too.  Mids seem more manageable somehow (these days).

And, yeah - what DOES a nice round/full bottom look like?  Often it looks the same as every other track with or without a good low end.   That's what makes it important to trust our monitoring and use our ears!

If you load up a good commercial mix into SONAR, you can then apply the exact same visual aids to it that you use for your own mixes. Make notes, take pictures. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you immediately know if there's too much at 50Hz, even if your speakers don't accurately reproduce it. And then you'll have added just one more technique to your toolkit, one more step toward the day when, as Charles Dye says, you listen to your mix and think "wow, that sounds like a RECORD!".

This speaks to ear training, comparison/critical listening, etc.  And "translation" is so key.  Sometimes we have to learn to translate something that isn't really there (in the monitors) knowing it actually is.

Like when we listen to different sets of monitors to a/b our mixes, each monitor has its own color/sound -- yet we learn *what* to listen for and *how* to listen when we know the monitors well.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/11 21:41:39 (permalink)
It's funny how you can learn EQ and think you know what you are doing and then one day a new revelation comes along. There are some George Massenburg videos out on the internet in which he is demoing his parametric. After watching him use his device you get a real sense of how to find and cut troublesome frequencies. Also how to create "the donut" as he calls it, for letting the vocal come through a mix.

As said so well by others above, mixing is evolutionary and the most powerful pieces of understanding are revealed in little jewel comments like the ones in this book. It's the last 5% of learning to mix and opens up new horizons for creating a sound experience.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/12 01:21:29 (permalink)
Also how to create "the donut" as he calls it, for letting the vocal come through a mix.

This statement jogged my memory about a mixing trick for lead vocals that I heard someone uses that is so simple, it got me thinking why haven't I thought of or tried that...
Basically, the idea is to create a sub-master bus that includes everything EXCEPT the lead vocal. Then, determine the range of freqs the lead vocal occupies and create a shallow EQ dip in the submaster bus that matches the vocal frequency range. Instant donut, eh?

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Middleman
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/12 01:58:22 (permalink)
That is one approach but George, having done this a gazillion times, creates it without the submaster by carving it out on a track by track basis. At least that was what he demonstrated in the video.

I have used the method you describe however and it works. Another neat trick is pushing high freq stuff far left and right with separate busses. You then route items you want to keep from clouding the center of the mix to these busses. It keeps the far LR image detailed and you can push reverbs, delays and other effects out there. I hear this in a lot in Nashville mixes.

jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/17 10:38:19 (permalink)
The best book I've ever seen on the subject of mixing is "Mixing With Your Mind" by Mike Stavrou.  This book is not a re-hash of information that you've read elsewhere and it it deadly-practical regardless of the gear you use.   

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
montezuma
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2520
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/17 18:31:59 (permalink)
I got to be honest and say I got suckered in to at least the Owsinski book and sure it's good...but really a let down compared to the massive amounts of information freely available on the net. People talk about these books like the holy grail...
ba_midi
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/09/17 20:17:55 (permalink)
montezuma

I got to be honest and say I got suckered in to at least the Owsinski book and sure it's good...but really a let down compared to the massive amounts of information freely available on the net. People talk about these books like the holy grail...

Just out of curiosity - how did you get 'suckered' into that?  Buying books is always tricky.  We don't know exactly what's in there until we go there, right?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Ronan Chris Murphy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/10/11 19:32:33 (permalink)
bitflipper

Here's an interview with the author on Ronan's Recording Show (Ronan is one of the book's contributors and probably collects a small royalty from it). The interview is not particularly interesting - the author's actually rather dull - but I like to picture a face speaking to me when I read a book.

Thanks so much for the link. FYI I do not get any royalties from that (would be nice if I did). My goal on the show is to try and have a place for some unbiased advice and info by some one that is not trying to sell you anything, so I try to be really clear if I have vested interest in anything I talk about.

Thanks again for the link!!!
Ronan

Ronan Chris Murphy
Producer-Mixer
Ronans Recording Show
Middleman
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/10/11 20:07:42 (permalink)
Yo Ronan. Keeping the truth alive. Much appreciated. Your site is fun and helpful.  

bitflipper
Re:Book Review: mixing, recording, and producing techniques of the pros 2010/10/12 11:24:33 (permalink)
I, too, am a fan of Ronin's videos. It's definitely a no-BS zone and Ronin seems like a truly genuine, unpretentious kind of guy.

My Stuff
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1