Helpful ReplyBought/Installed Studio One 3 Professional, and it fails to load built in VST3

Author
mcdoma2000
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
2017/12/01 18:48:57 (permalink)

Bought/Installed Studio One 3 Professional, and it fails to load built in VST3

This really frustrating as it took a while to arrange for the cross grade purchase. I had tried the demo, and it was working for me. I then installed the non-demo version, and it won't work for me. I have uninstalled all of it multiple times and reinstalled as many, but it fails on "Adding VST3 Plug-in Active Equalizer". I have opened a ticket with support, but for goodness sake - it should work and it's not. Any suggestions?

i7-920 24GB Ram
Windows 10 x64
SONAR Platinum x64
Focusrite 18i20
mcdoma2000
Re: Bought/Installed Studio One 3 Professional, and it fails to load built in VST3 2017/12/03 15:31:12 (permalink)
No answers on this thread - I did get an answer from Studio One Support - and I've decided to clean out all my vsts and reinstall them. I have cruft from a lot of old installs, and I'm pretty sure that some 32 bit plugs might have snuck into the 64 bit areas, so reinstall and be very disciplined about where to put the plugs. Hopefully, that will help my new DAWs find them and help the plugs to work.

i7-920 24GB Ram
Windows 10 x64
SONAR Platinum x64
Focusrite 18i20
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Bought/Installed Studio One 3 Professional, and it fails to load built in VST3 2017/12/04 07:11:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2017/12/05 02:05:13
VSTs can be a pain for this sort of thing. Cubase actually has a quarantine system built in to block VSTs that are known to cause issues, which is actually a good idea as it means you don't get loads of complaints about your software crashing when it is actually a plugin causing it to crash. In Sonar, for example, I found that most crashes were caused either by soundcard drivers or VSTs. So in other words, 3rd party software and not Sonar. Yet people normally blamed Sonar.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
mcdoma2000
Re: Bought/Installed Studio One 3 Professional, and it fails to load built in VST3 2017/12/04 15:51:34 (permalink)
Thanks for the reply, 35mm. What I'm really considering now is uninstalling all my plugs and then reinstalling only what I want, being sure that there are no instances of 32bit plugs installed. That way (since I've been on 64 bit only for a while) I can be sure there are NO 32 bit plugs installed and that the cruft from years of installs is eliminated. What do YOU think about this (or anyone else who has an opinion/experience to share)?

i7-920 24GB Ram
Windows 10 x64
SONAR Platinum x64
Focusrite 18i20
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Bought/Installed Studio One 3 Professional, and it fails to load built in VST3 2017/12/04 21:01:55 (permalink)
The default folder for 64-bit VST3 plugins is:

C:\Program Files\Common\VST3

That's where Studio One looks. You don't need to add that folder to the search list. Any VST3 plugins installed anywhere else will not be found.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
jude77
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Bought/Installed Studio One 3 Professional, and it fails to load built in VST3 2017/12/05 02:10:00 (permalink)
TheMaartian
The default folder for 64-bit VST3 plugins is:

C:\Program Files\Common\VST3

That's where Studio One looks. You don't need to add that folder to the search list. Any VST3 plugins installed anywhere else will not be found.

That's true, but like with SONAR you add folders for it to look in. 

I think a VST purge is a great idea.  I do it every few years.  And something I swore off of was free plugins in general.  Some are great, but some are dawgs.  And the dawgs will cause you no end of problems.

35mm
VSTs can be a pain for this sort of thing. Cubase actually has a quarantine system built in to block VSTs that are known to cause issues, which is actually a good idea as it means you don't get loads of complaints about your software crashing when it is actually a plugin causing it to crash. In Sonar, for example, I found that most crashes were caused either by soundcard drivers or VSTs. So in other words, 3rd party software and not Sonar. Yet people normally blamed Sonar.
[/quote

Soooooooo true.  A few years ago I was having crashes like crazy and cussed SONAR daily.  Turns out it was my sound card.  Upgraded to an RME and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
35mm
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Bought/Installed Studio One 3 Professional, and it fails to load built in VST3 2017/12/05 10:17:40 (permalink)
mcdoma2000
Thanks for the reply, 35mm. What I'm really considering now is uninstalling all my plugs and then reinstalling only what I want, being sure that there are no instances of 32bit plugs installed. That way (since I've been on 64 bit only for a while) I can be sure there are NO 32 bit plugs installed and that the cruft from years of installs is eliminated. What do YOU think about this (or anyone else who has an opinion/experience to share)?

A good clear out once in a while is always a good idea. Many of us have huge piles of plugins, many we got free or for some special offer and many of those only ever get used once if at all. So yea, just install what you want, but keep a catalog of all the plugs you have that can be installed if you need in future. Often, having fewer great tools is better than having loads of mediocre tools and having fewer plugins reduces the chance of instability and random crashes. But you don't have to completely forget about the 32bit plugs if your DAW supports them and if they are useful to you still. You can install them in a separate VST folder and either have that folder loaded in your DAW or not. Most DAWs support multiple VST paths, so you can also split your whole collection up if you want for better management.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Arnd Kaiser
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Bought/Installed Studio One 3 Professional, and it fails to load built in VST3 2017/12/05 13:20:47 (permalink)
35mm

Actually Studio One has a kind of "quarantine system" for VST2 and VST3 as well. Plug-ins that crashed when first scanned are moved to a black-list. On the next launch, the scan will skip the bad plug-in. The blacklist can be reset in Preferences>Locations>VST Plug-ins. It often helps to just reset the blacklist so the quarantined plug-ins are scanned the next time you launch Studio One. Alternatively, you can try to remove the plug-in from the VST plug-in folder and add them again after the first scan. 

Arnd Kaiser
General Manager
PreSonus Software Ltd.
www.presonus.com
Support: my.presonus.com/support
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1