Bounce Question!

Author
Johnataxia
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2013/10/31 14:33:02 (permalink)

Bounce Question!

Hi everyone, Im new here!

I've been using Sonar since year 2000 and I have a few questions that someone could help me to understand.
Im using a Lexicon Omega with Sonar X3. And recording with 24bits 48Khz (best quality that Omega reaches).

I have a 4 track drum take of a song (Glyn John method). No effects applied.
Just pure takes.
I build a definitive drum part with the best parts of diferents takes.
ie: Intro of Take 1, Verse1 of Take 4, etc...
Now I want to bounce each track so I have an entire wave for each track.
And I can clean up a little my audio folder of files of unwanted takes.

What I dont know Is next:

When I bounce, ¿Is that process destructive in any way?
I want to leave any mixing desitions to be consider later, so i dont want to affect in any way that files.
Since my audio Quality is 24/48, have any sence to render to 32 or 64 bits?
Or did I have to configure Sonar to bounce to 24bits that is my sound card quality and my waves quality?

If anyone help me with this It will be great!
Thanks
Cheers.

10 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Bounce Question! 2013/10/31 16:15:01 (permalink)
    Bounce to track leaves the original tracks untouched. The bounce dialog lets you choose what to include in the bounce, if you have not included FX, then SONAR doesn't create them out of the sky. The resulting track is identical copy of the original, nothing left out, nothing added.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: Bounce Question! 2013/10/31 16:25:03 (permalink)
    From what I've seen in the comping vid you can bounce to a new Take Lane. That way all your snippets and previous takes stay available and you've got a brand new spanking take. Then you can come up with alternate comps and have them as new takes as well so you can pick and choose from various comps. At least I think that's what the guy did. Watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/wa...E&feature=youtu.be
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Bounce Question! 2013/11/01 04:50:03 (permalink)
    When bouncing (i.e. rendering) make sure it's at 32 bit.

This does not affect the "quality" of your audio - all it does in apply a higher degree of mathematical precision to the calculations when performing a bounce.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Johnataxia
    Re: Bounce Question! 2013/11/01 15:49:19 (permalink)
    Hey! Thanks for your help! I was reading a little of "online" help too...

Bristol: Ok that was what I want to know... 
    So its better to set the "render quiality" to 64bits?

When I select clips in the same track: Right Click --> Bounce to clips
    Im using the "render option"? Is that ok?

Cheers
    JA
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: Bounce Question! 2013/11/01 18:09:58 (permalink)
    Bounce to Clip is a little different to Bounce to Track.

Bounce to Clip:
    With Midi data, it will simply join up all you separate clips into one long, contiguous clip
    With Audio Data, it will do the same, but in addition, will make permanent any Audiosnap or V-Vocal data

Bounce to Track:
    Here's where you render comes into play
    It will create an additional audio track based no whatever combination of audio tracks/Simple Instrument Tracks/vsti Midi & audio tracks you choose and the result will depend on your choices in the "Source Category", "Channel Format", "Dithering", and "Mix Enables" boxes.

Mix Enable will either use whatever the setting is under Preferences > File > Audio Data > Render Bit Depth or you can temporarily override this by using the 64 bit setting in the Bounce dialog.

This won't have any real audio benefit 

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Bounce Question! 2013/11/02 05:15:18 (permalink)
    If you want ALL clips in a track to be bounced to one clip, they must ALL be selected first. Clicking on only one of the clips will only bounce that one clip.
    Johnataxia
    Re: Bounce Question! 2013/11/12 12:29:50 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Bounce to Clip is a little different to Bounce to Track.

Bounce to Clip:
    With Midi data, it will simply join up all you separate clips into one long, contiguous clip
    With Audio Data, it will do the same, but in addition, will make permanent any Audiosnap or V-Vocal data

Bounce to Track:
    Here's where you render comes into play
    It will create an additional audio track based no whatever combination of audio tracks/Simple Instrument Tracks/vsti Midi & audio tracks you choose and the result will depend on your choices in the "Source Category", "Channel Format", "Dithering", and "Mix Enables" boxes.

Mix Enable will either use whatever the setting is under Preferences > File > Audio Data > Render Bit Depth or you can temporarily override this by using the 64 bit setting in the Bounce dialog.

This won't have any real audio benefit 

Thanks for your time Bristol!
    This is my question:

When I select one of my clips in a track I right click, go to "associated audio files". 
    Sonar displays the file name, and in a different field it says "Bit Depth" --> "24 bits".

Next I select all the clips in one track, then right click in selected tracks, and bounce to clips.
    Then, with the resulting clip, I select it, right click, "associated audio files" and the in the
    "Bit Depth" field it says "32 bits"!

Thats what is a bit confusing to me. I suppose that sonar uses the "render bit depth" option.
    If I undo the bounce to clips. Go to: Edit, preferences, file, audio data, and change to 64 bits,
    then I bounce to clip again and then "associated audio files" with the resulting clip it says 64 bits!

What I dont know If this operation is destructive in any way.
    Why now the bit depth says 32 or 64 bits, while my original file was 24bits?
    Thats what I want to know, or maybe I need to bounce to tracks instead, and I am making it
    with the wrong option. What I dont want now is to change my original files with something like
    dithering ie or to be converted to another bit depth than the original. I only want to "compile"
    track by track the best of each take, then come with the final file (untoched).

Again thanks for your help!
    Cheers!
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: Bounce Question! 2013/11/12 14:06:40 (permalink)
    Rendering at 64 bit will mean the digital data is now padded out with zeroes to accommodate the longer word length.
    And it will double the file size compared to a 32 bit render.
    There's no harm in it, other than the increased disc space used, which might be an issue after you've bounced many hundreds, if not thousands of tracks in this way.

If all you're doing is compiling the best audio takes from an assortment, then definitely use bounce to clip.

Alternatively, if you're on X3, the new comping tool is absolutely fantastic in its implementation and you should go read up on it

Johnataxia
    Re: Bounce Question! 2013/11/12 18:43:19 (permalink)
    Ok thats it! I think I understand!
    Conclusion: rendering to 32 bits didnt alter my 24bits files! 

One user post a video here with that tool, I will be studying it soon...
    Now I need to go on with this project... Too many new things to learn!

Thanks!
    JA
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: Bounce Question! 2013/11/13 03:29:12 (permalink)
    There are a few very useful videos here, including the new comping tool:

http://www.cakewalk.com/CakeTV/SONARU.aspx/Get-Started

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1