Bounce to Track question

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Darkside024
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
2010/07/18 17:20:07 (permalink)

Bounce to Track question

Just a quick question regarding bouncing a mix to a single stereo track inside the same project. Does it ( i dont know a better way to say it) "Bounce through" the buses and effects i have set up.

Im only asking because it sounds different.

When i play the bounce to track stereo track through another buss i create with no effects on it it seems that the entire mix has a higher freq to it.

I dunno maybe im trippin..

31 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/18 17:26:27 (permalink)
    It will do whatever you tell it to, but it is damn confusing until you get the hang of it.  It is going to sound different if you pass it through a buss that is different.
    Darkside024
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/18 17:32:02 (permalink)
    My current thinking is that when its mixing down to the stereo track (via bounce to tracks), it takes the signal through the busses and the effects i have on those busses to the single stereo track.

Is this correct?
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/18 17:32:46 (permalink)
    Darkside024

Just a quick question regarding bouncing a mix to a single stereo track inside the same project. Does it ( i dont know a better way to say it) "Bounce through" the buses and effects i have set up.

Im only asking because it sounds different.

When i play the bounce to track stereo track through another buss i create with no effects on it it seems that the entire mix has a higher freq to it.

I dunno maybe im trippin..

When you invoke the Bounce To Track(s) command via the Edit Menu, you should notice some "presets" available.  If you choose the "What You Hear" preset, that should take care of getting it all in the mixdown.

However, it pays to review the help info within that dialogue box so you can understand what the various options will/won't do.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    ba_midi
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/18 17:33:47 (permalink)
    Darkside024

My current thinking is that when its mixing down to the stereo track (via bounce to tracks), it takes the signal through the busses and the effects i have on those busses to the single stereo track.

Is this correct?
    Is this correct?

That depends on the options you select within the bouncedown dialogue. 

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/18 17:34:12 (permalink)
    ba_midi
    Darkside024 Just a quick question regarding bouncing a mix to a single stereo track inside the same project. Does it ( i dont know a better way to say it) "Bounce through" the buses and effects i have set up.   Im only asking because it sounds different.   When i play the bounce to track stereo track through another buss i create with no effects on it it seems that the entire mix has a higher freq to it.   I dunno maybe im trippin..    
    When you invoke the Bounce To Track(s) command via the Edit Menu, you should notice some "presets" available.  If you choose the "What You Hear" preset, that should take care of getting it all in the mixdown.    
    It doesn't always do that for some reason. The mixdown dialog in Sonar has always been complete crap and really needs to be fixed.
    ba_midi
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/18 18:56:59 (permalink)
    10Ten

ba_midi
    Darkside024 Just a quick question regarding bouncing a mix to a single stereo track inside the same project. Does it ( i dont know a better way to say it) "Bounce through" the buses and effects i have set up.   Im only asking because it sounds different.   When i play the bounce to track stereo track through another buss i create with no effects on it it seems that the entire mix has a higher freq to it.   I dunno maybe im trippin..    
    It doesn't always do that for some reason. The mixdown dialog in Sonar has always been complete crap and really needs to be fixed.

Hmm, I don't have any problems with the bouncedown function, unless I forget to make the right selections.  Since there are a  number of options (which is why I use presets) and of course one has to choose the tracks/busses (or just select ALL), but other than that, I'm not sure what "complete crap" you're experiencing.

Can you expand on what the problem for you is?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

MatsonMusicBox
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 879
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/18 19:07:18 (permalink)
    10Ten

ba_midi
    Works for me - not sure what you think needs fixing. ... trick is to realize that the presets are just that ... presets ... and have no magic in them based on their name. Honestly, I pay no attention to them and just set up my own options. I then save THAT as new presets so I know exactly what I'm getting.

stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/18 19:14:05 (permalink)
    Same here! No issues-I have  a few presets of my own I use.

thegeek
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 17:03:34 (permalink)
    @Darkside

I hope I can shed some light to your confusion.......First let me say that the bounce-to-track option in Sonar is one of my GREATEST ever features and I really think the most detailed and well-thought out  ...that IS untill you understand exactly how it works.....

So....let me use a paradigm here so you can better understand what options you have when you click "bounce to track"

Firstly you must have the desired tracks selected.....this could be an equivalent to the "play" button of an old tape recorder....what tracks you select to bounce to tracks are your "sound source" - right Im sure you already know that but keep it in mind for my examples below.

Right, now on to your question.....is the signal recorded through the busses or not? Well that depends on what you choose in the "category" selector of the "bounce to track" dialogue - if you re not sure where that is, try a "bounce to track" and notice that you can choose between track or bus. If you choose track then the selected track will be bounced as if our "recorder" was recording the signal right out of the track, regardless of the busses it may go to...Also take notice that in this case, if you have chosen multiple tracks, then multiple "bounced" tracks are created - one for each selected track....

Now if you wish to bounce your selected tracks off their assigned buses you should choose "bus" in the 'category" selector.....

Now what happens for example if one of the busses has a sidechained compressor wich gets triggered by a track? Even though this track is "silent" so to speak you SHOULD have selected it before opening the "bounce to track" dialogue, otherwise it wont be considered as a source, in simple words your bounced down track won't be sidechained-compressed...Thats why I said in my first paragraph, always keep in mind that what gets "played" to be recorded is whatever tracks are selected in the first place.....

Now, another important aspect to remember is whn you have certain tracks selected, you wish to bounce them down to a track, but those tracks are routed to various busses as outs and as sends....In this case I have personally found out its merely impossible to select the correct tracks AND category in the "bounce to track" dialogue to have the desired outcome , so what i usually do is select ALL tracks ,SOLO the sources Im interested in bouncing,  select "bus" category then my master bus .....Since SOLO is taken under consideration (unless you "untick" it in the dialogue) it pretty much records my selected tracks together WITH their "sent" busses (thus effects etc etc) and THROUGH the sub-buses and out of my "master" bus!

Errrrrr....I hope I helped!
    uncleswede
    • Total Posts : 638
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 17:09:39 (permalink)
    10Ten

ba_midi
    Really? Not my experience - I've found bounce to tracks 100% reliable in all versions of Sonar that I've used.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How to fly - throw yourself at the ground and miss
    S8.5PE, i7-920 (XP), 6Gb RAM, Phonic Helix 12, Axiom 61 controller, JM VC3Q and mic, plus more...
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 17:41:29 (permalink)
    uncleswede
    10Ten
    ba_midi
    Really? Not my experience - I've found bounce to tracks 100% reliable in all versions of Sonar that I've used.
    It appears Roland should give me a job sorting these things out because I just have an ability to find problems that no one else has...riiiiiight...
    thegeek
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 18:03:56 (permalink)
    Im sorry to say my friend 10Ten but.....
    "It doesnt work" or "it sucks" (as I ve read in another thread from you) don't really qualify as "finding problems"....

i think you should read numerous posts in this forum with users of the program who specifically describe the problems they encounter, the circumstances where these appear, possible workarounds, and of course bug-submissions....That IS "problem finding"
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 18:06:21 (permalink)
    thegeek Im sorry to say my friend 10Ten but..... "It doesnt work" or "it sucks" (as I ve read in another thread from you) don't really qualify as "finding problems".... i think you should read numerous posts in this forum with users of the program who specifically describe the problems they encounter, the circumstances where these appear, possible workarounds, and of course bug-submissions....That IS "problem finding"
    Why, that isn't possible because Sonar is 100% reliable. You must have been reading the Cubase forum.
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 18:09:54 (permalink)

It appears Roland should give me a job sorting these things out because I just have an ability to find problems that no one else has...riiiiiight...

Brandon has rolled out the red carpet for you to have your concerns addressed:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2057200

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2057203

Take care not to trip on the deep pile (double-entendre intended).

thegeek
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 18:15:23 (permalink)
    10Ten
    thegeek Im sorry to say my friend 10Ten but..... "It doesnt work" or "it sucks" (as I ve read in another thread from you) don't really qualify as "finding problems".... i think you should read numerous posts in this forum with users of the program who specifically describe the problems they encounter, the circumstances where these appear, possible workarounds, and of course bug-submissions....That IS "problem finding"

Why, that isn't possible because Sonar is 100% reliable. You must have been reading the Cubase forum.

So I guess my comment instead of making you stop to think a litle bit that perhaps Im not a "blinded fanboy" but an honest person and user of the program, it provoked this silly display of mediocre intelligence ironic humour! Great! Carry on my friend!
    post edited by thegeek - 2010/07/19 18:17:33
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 18:23:28 (permalink)

This is getting old, 10Ten.

If you're thinking of getting a QA job, you should know that a prerequisite for such a position is knowing how to use the product under test. And the first time you submitted a problem report to engineering that said "this sucks" or "this is complete crap" you'd likely be shown the door.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 18:37:50 (permalink)

I havnt been up here in a while ..... as I havnt had any problems with my set up in a long while - so I bug Bapu in the CH - 

been reading the topics and threads and catching up a bit

10ten......you seem like a super swell guy

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 19:28:29 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    This is getting old, 10Ten. If you're thinking of getting a QA job, you should know that a prerequisite for such a position is knowing how to use the product under test. And the first time you submitted a problem report to engineering that said "this sucks" or "this is complete crap" you'd likely be shown the door.
    I have thousands of hours on Sonar and know it very well. It's how I know how screwed up it is. Whenever I ask a question no one here has any idea what am I am to or how to accomplish it and 99% of the time I have to sort it our for myself or find out it can't be done. This would all work out better for everyone if the fanboy thing stopped and the we want to get what we paid for started. No wonder companies give us the half baked products that they give us.
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 19:29:41 (permalink)
    thegeek
    10Ten
    So I guess my comment instead of making you stop to think a litle bit that perhaps Im not a "blinded fanboy" but an honest person and user of the program, it provoked this silly display of mediocre intelligence ironic humour! Great! Carry on my friend!
    No, your comment was ridiculous. Why would it provoke anything but a ridiculous response?
    MatsonMusicBox
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 19:32:37 (permalink)
    10-10 - explain what deosn't work for you on export .... other than the fact that I think the export-file-naming options could be improved, the actual exports work pretty much flawlessly for me - of course assuming you know what you are doing and set it up correctly. As I've observed people having problems, they've usually come down to one of the following:

1. Not selecting the right source or options in the dialog
    2. Not selecting the correct tracks and/or timelines in the track view
    3. Leaving a loop on by accident
    4. Problems with plug-ins
    Maybe if you'd share an actual example of a problem, people would get off your case?
    post edited by MatsonMusicBox - 2010/07/19 19:33:49
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 19:36:34 (permalink)
    MatsonMusicBox 10-10 - explain what deosn't work for you on export .... other than the fact that I think the export-file-naming options could be improved, the actual exports work pretty much flawlessly for me - of course assuming you know what you are doing and set it up correctly. As I've observed people having problems, they've usually come down to one of the following: Not selecting the right source or options in the dialog Not selecting the correct tracks and/or timelines in the track view Leaving a loop on bu accident Problems with plug-ins Maybe if you'd share an actual example of a problem, people would get off your case?
    If it was just one issue I would. It's just too damn messy like most things Sonar related. Everything in Sonar is unrefined and inefficient. It takes too many steps and too much time to do the easiest things. I have listed a lot of them, but what people really want is to defend what they consider to be theirs. The "don't port Sonar to Mac" thread is a perfect example.
    MatsonMusicBox
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 19:40:55 (permalink)
    If you've followed much of my posts, you'd know I'm no fanboy, and have been on the critical side of the fanboy, SONAR-police, etc. posters that are here. But, to just say something "sucks" or is "unrefined" or "inefficient" without examples, doesn'tdo much for your credibility.

Export for me is four steps ... open the dialog ... pick one of my presets ....name the file ... push go ....

Not sure how it could be much simpler?
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 19:53:30 (permalink)
    MatsonMusicBox If you've followed much of my posts, you'd know I'm no fanboy, and have been on the critical side of the fanboy, SONAR-police, etc. posters that are here. But, to just say something "sucks" or is "unrefined" or "inefficient" without examples, doesn'tdo much for your credibility. Export for me is four steps ... open the dialog ... pick one of my presets ....name the file ... push go .... Not sure how it could be much simpler?
    What does it do for your credibility that it doesn't actually work? I just made a "preset" to select the master buss, 16/44.1. no dithering. Then I forgot to deselect a track. Went to the export dialog, my preset, had to pick the master buss off the list, turned off dithering, exported, got a one sided mix of a very recorded acoustic guitar....
    I can make it not do all of that stuff, but there are  too many steps for unpredictable results. Same thing with copying and pasting, dragging clips/notes.

MatsonMusicBox
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 20:18:45 (permalink)
    You're saying your preset "forgot" your settings? I've never seen this. The obvious questions are "did you actually save it" and "did you actually pick it" when you went back in the second time ....

I've never seen this not work.
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/19 20:23:18 (permalink)
    MatsonMusicBox You're saying your preset "forgot" your settings? I've never seen this. The obvious questions are "did you actually save it" and "did you actually pick it" when you went back in the second time .... I've never seen this not work.
    It saved the name and that I wanted "busses", but that was it. Now, I may be too stupid to type in a name and hit a save icon, but chances are slim.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/20 00:10:11 (permalink)
    --yikes.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/20 00:38:59 (permalink)
    Darkside, just to rule it out, have you silenced the original track (including sends) after you did the bounce?
    post edited by RobertB - 2010/07/20 00:52:55

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Darkside024
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/20 23:07:36 (permalink)
    RobertB

Darkside, just to rule it out, have you silenced the original track (including sends) after you did the bounce?

Yes Robert, thank you. And thanks to the rest of you.. my problem was solved after the 3rd reply or so... the rest of this thread is uhh...whats the word...
    ba_midi
    Re:Bounce to Track question 2010/07/20 23:19:08 (permalink)
    Darkside024

RobertB

Yes Robert, thank you. And thanks to the rest of you.. my problem was solved after the 3rd reply or so... the rest of this thread is uhh...whats the word...

Glad you got it sorted out.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1