Bouncing Tracks - Sequential vs Simultaneous

Author
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
2009/09/22 14:13:36 (permalink)

Bouncing Tracks - Sequential vs Simultaneous

Say for example I want to apply compression and EQ to a track.

Do you think it makes a difference in (1) audio integrity and (2) the way the effects modify the track, when you bounce to tracks sequentially vs simultaneously.

By sequentially, I mean: apply 1 effect then bounce, apply the 2nd effect to the bounced track and bounce again (i.e., 2 bounces)

By simultaneously, I mean applying both effect in at the same time (i.e., 1 bounce).

Dave

3 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Bouncing Tracks - Sequential vs Simultaneous 2009/09/22 15:56:30 (permalink)
    yes, each time you bounce you have the possibility of loosing integrity of the original.  it's going to be miniscule, however, if you have sonar 6 or above because of the 64bit audio engine processing, but it can degrade some.

why, however, are you bouncing after adding each FX?  why not leave the FX in the FX bin and just export at the end of mixing the project?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    quantumeffect
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re:Bouncing Tracks - Sequential vs Simultaneous 2009/09/22 19:11:48 (permalink)
    I am running Sonar 5 on a machine with a Pentium D processor (1st generation dual core) and yes I am fully aware that it is time for me to upgrade both hardware and software.  So, an upgrade is probably in the cards before the end of the year but until then I unfortunately need to "deal with it"

WRT my question, I've added a number of processor hogging plug-ins over the last year or so including Pod Farm, a really sweet Blue Cat audio EQ and most recently the Wave Arts de-clicker ... and others (for years I only used the CW plugs).  I just find myself doing a dance with the by pass bin trying to keep from "dropping out" while I'm mixing down.

Even beyond the practical part of the question, I'm really just curious.  If you draw an analogy to a completely analog system, the source of the signal degradation is apparent (e.g., multiple passes across the tape head).  But, is it really reasonable to draw an analogy to anolog system?  Does the signal degradation in the digital domain arise from the error associated with sig. figs. used in the calculations?  Does the order of the calculation matter?

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Bouncing Tracks - Sequential vs Simultaneous 2009/09/22 19:36:58 (permalink)
    Forget bouncing, have a look at Freezing tracks. This is what you need if your compy is struggling.

I don't know how the structure in SONAR works exactly, but bouncing each effect separately will either be exactly the same (ie the math is no different) or there will be losses from the rounding. Depends on how SONAR works in that respect. If there is a difference, it will be VERY small, as Beagle said. Actually, there would be a difference. When performing one plug bounce, SONAR steps up to 64 bit, does it's stuff, then exports your bounce at 32bit (standard). There will be rounding loses here. But if you do it all at once, it stays in the 64bit domain up until the final bounce back to 32bit. But if you set your bounces to 64 bit then I assume it would be the same.

You can do a simple test by making a track of either bounce type, lining them up perfectly, flipping the phase on one of them, and summing together. If there is ANY noise at all, then there has been a loss in information. And you now have that loss right in front of you.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1