Boy, When The Hammer Drops, It Drops HARD!

Author
jimusic
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1325
2017/08/27 02:37:07 (permalink)

Boy, When The Hammer Drops, It Drops HARD!

Well the hammer has dropped on the head of the nail so hard, that the nail head has broken and snapped right off.

Many here were kind enough to chime in and comment on my post about 2 weeks ago where I asked you to Pray For My Wife - who was dying just 2 minutes away but I couldn't go see her.
I had added to that post that I went and talked to the hospital admin, but nothing came from that.

Well it's been 20 days now since I've seen or heard from my wife, named Kindness, but yesterday, Friday, I finally got 2 texts from her from her sisters phone - and the news I would have never expected.
The first text was that she has cancelled the lease (which is in her name) for Sept. 30, and that I must move by then.
Where I'll go and how I'll afford it, I have no idea, and am somewhat worried about that now. Rents are sky high, and my income is low mainly by her choice and decision a few years ago, for both my health and her daily company.
I'm unable to work much physically now, and I just turned 56, with no savings and no pension.

The second, much much longer text was that she no longer wanted to be with me nor ever see me again.
After almost 8 really wonderful years, she typed (or had someone type for her) a very cold, harsh 'goodbye' and basically a good riddance text to me.
There wasn't so much as a single stitch or hint of love, warmth, or any mention of our wonderful years, numerous warm memories, nor our countless good and happy times together.  

She talked about healing and starting over, but without me. She seemed to think I would hinder that healing somehow. 

If I could have been allowed to see her, I really think this could have been prevented or corrected before it went too far. But I wasn't given the chance. Nor would I have wanted to stress her out with any conversations about it.
I doubt she would have said anything had I been there anyway.

I tried to call the Oncologist for info and updates just by coincidence yesterday, and was told that I was put on the 'do not call list' by my wife. I'm guessing a while ago now.
Out of nowhere, I then felt like taking a walk around one of her favorite small parks we used to walk together, and said a bit of my own good bye to her, for some odd unknown reason at the time, having no idea that that text was being worked on most likely right around that time.

I got it about an hour later.

So I have zero chance to see or talk to my wife now for sure, as she has asked me not to contact her.

I doubt I will ever know if she lives or not now - if she does actually heal, which sounds like she's counting on.
I doubt I will have any future with her if she does, nor hear about the funeral, if the worst should happen.

A friend said what was also posted here before - it may not be 'the real wife talking anymore', but one influenced from chemo poison, a head injury, constant pain meds in palliative care, as well as facing her own mortality, and of course the loss of our marriage and future.

They say that a divorce is really like a death - the complete loss of a relationship and future together, and the morning and grieving process that follows, which started to hit me today. I was unable to sleep much and got up way earlier than I wanted to.
Sleep is good, because you don't have to think about it until you wake up and then it hits you like a punch in the face and gut.

Pain, pain and more pain here now, not to mention feeling hurt, lost, bewildered and directionless - and now having to move again after 2 months ago moving closer to the hospital, and twice last year as well.

That 'good bye' text was cold and quite harsh - and just not what I needed to see right now - in fact the last thing I needed to see.

I still ask for prayers for her healing, as I will continue to do.

Thanks for reading Buds, 

Just needed to get it out. Helps to type it out. Feel free to chime in - I could use some support right about now.

Jim

post edited by jimusic - 2017/08/27 07:07:47

6 Replies Related Threads

JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: Boy, When The Hammer Drops, It Drops HARD! 2017/08/27 21:58:48 (permalink)
    Jim,

Hang in there brother. I don’t know your situation but have been thru much the same thing. Tragic loss of dear family and then devastating loss of job on the tail end just to grind the knife deeper. Waking up day after day in the same pain over the death and now having to deal with how to pay rent and feed two dependents. Maybe I was more lucky because of the remaining family. Close bonds and support.

My prayers are with you. Don’t get offended though if I say that more than prayers are needed.

All I can share is what I did to eventually overcome the damnation. I was hoping you were a US resident because could have given specifics of how to work the system. See that you are in Canada, but maybe you are in an even better place to get on top of this.

I saw first hand how shallow most condolences and best wishes were. Nobody really gave a damn. “Sorry for your loss. Got to go pick up the kids” Pinnacle moment was a friend passing by in the hall. Asked, how are you doing? I said miserable. Answer was “Good, glad to hear it” I realized I was really alone in this.

I had to assess where I was and where I was headed. The grief was debilitating, but the rent demand didn’t care. The electric company shed no tears. Laid off aircraft mechanic with no jobs anywhere in the area.

I had to kick myself in the ass and get it together in spite of the universe falling apart around me and just wanting to crawl into a dark hole. Realize I am not aiming this at you, just me.

I had to get work or some sort of interim support. I went into the local welfare office and sat at one of the jobs terminals. Spent hours going thru job analysis. Reading up on everything from grave diggers to engineers, physicians to basket weavers.

Pharmacy looked cool and always had a love of biology and chemistry.

Did all my homework. Had a plan. Approached the state with an offer. I was old, fried to a crisp, poisoned with cumulative exposure to industrial chemicals, bent and broken from years of hard labor and could no longer do a high wire balance act to change a light bulb on an aircraft wing 50 feet off the ground.

My offer was that I was about to fall back as a vegetable on welfare. Sign me up for medicaid, welfare check and food stamps for the next 40 years.

Alternative offer was to help me retrain into something I could still do and be a tax paying citizen. Laid out my homework on receptive ears and got the beginning support for 6 years of pharmacy education. Fought for every grant, every stipend along the way.

Was in my 50’s before I started the new job with a shiny doctor’s title. Treated us real good for 15 years until it was really time to retire. Keeping my license active anticipating going back to work part time at some point. Otherwise I’ll drive the wife crazy being here all the time.

Point of my tirade is that life is merciless. Survival of the fittest still rules unfortunately. You have to be fluid and bending, smart and adaptive. As long as life is in you, there is hope. At 56, I pray you can rebound. You may not be able to do heavy physical work, but there are so many things out there you still may be able to do, making a respectable and decent living. Re-education is the key for you.

In the US many years ago, your training tuition covered just that. Tuition and a few books after which you were on your own. Now you can cover rent, food and other living needs in the student loans. Depends on your stomach for debt, but a new career pathway with education, certification may be what you need. Both to survive in the physical and get your mind in a positive direction beyond the pain of your family situation.

Tip from my perspective is look at the healthcare industry. Good paying and honorable technician licenses can be had in anywhere from 6 months to 2 years study that don’t require you to lug around a hundred pound bag of cement.

God bless,

John
    jimusic
    Re: Boy, When The Hammer Drops, It Drops HARD! 2017/08/28 06:53:01 (permalink)
    Thank you John. And a good read it is!

Wow, I can't believe all that you were facing and went through. I don't have the stress of feeding and caring for any dependents, although I sometimes think that would make and keep me more disciplined.

Prayers are often and church was really quite good today. Seems the sermons and messages are always timely and current to my thoughts, feelings, struggles and challenges.

I'm not at all offended that more than prayers are needed.
    Although God has always taken care of me and seen me through, I know that He won't spoon feed me - and that I must do all that I can and should for myself.
    His help will be in addition to my efforts, and not in place of them. Heavenly peace, guidance, comfort and direction are gifts hoped & prayed for, and not rights to be expected.
    I will be needing my faith more than ever, and this is surely the test of a lifetime. But I know that when I'm at my weakest, His strength comes through, as one scripture comes to mind.

I have thought about retraining. I'm not worried about debt, which would be factored in before I'd commit to anything first anyway.
    I've seen and heard that many who are in for retraining/re-schooling are 40 and up. Many older than 50+.

Funny, I was just thinking of the health care industry. Why? Because of the 'boom' of baby boomers and their parents literally flooding the landscape. 
    Many are retiring, travelling, struggling, etc. More and more will have specific needs and requirements, health concerns and issues just like myself, and beyond.
    For the first time ever, statistics show that there are more people over 65 than there are under 14 here in Canada.

I have been reading about the onslaught of this ever growing number of people (customers). I have some business ideas already swimming around in my empty skull.  

I already run a small business from home for 10 years now, so I'm quite comfortable with that and thinking of setting up another one (or even two - in time). The 10 year one is basically almost running itself by now.
    A few quick emails, then an Interac etransfer and then I make a few bucks - usually $100 + each.

Just today, I was picturing one of my ideas possibly being successful enough to generate enough demand from the ever growing baby boom retirement and health care bunch that there'd be no reason why I wouldn't eventually have the need of a number of people working for me to keep up with the growing demand.
    I have been thinking about this demographic on & off for a few years now, and the veritable gold mine that lies in wait.
    There'll be an ever increasing supply of aging customers, and there's always people looking for work - no shortage there either. 
    A couple of years of doing my homework, investigation, organization and some ground work, etc etc and things could be looking quite rosy before too long. 

I couldn't help but learn from a simple company example that came to the door when we moved a few months ago - Molly Maid. Now here's a simple company that does it's advertising, and has a gigantic pool of people to hire from. Almost all of their employees are straight from the welfare and job fare line ups.
    The hourly company rate was quite high.
    For 2-3 hours of cleaning our last apartment the price was something like $275, while the woman got just a standard $12-15 an hour. They said they were very busy, with a full day ahead.
    So I'm doing some math in my head with some of my other ideas.

Otherwise, I'd like to hear more about the technician license positions you mentioned.
    Can you give me some examples to consider there John? My mind is kind of blank it that regard now.
    But I'm open to any & all ideas now.

Thanks

Jim

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: Boy, When The Hammer Drops, It Drops HARD! 2017/08/28 12:59:44 (permalink)
    Wow, Jim.  You really are getting the s**t end of the stick these days....  I hope you can persevere.  Like John said, life can be merciless.  Once a fault opens, other problems seem to get in.  I wish you luck.

Recently I was looking at a "post 40 career change" too, in health care.  Have you looked at Health Care Administration courses at a local college or university?  I know that some gov't agencies can offset the costs (EI, Welfare, etc).  If you've already run your own business, I'm sure you've got the ability and would just need to learn how to navigate the professional red tape.

I know in Toronto, there is a large need right now for college/university administrators.  It's probably similar in Vancouver.  It's my wife's field, and seems to rely more on common sense and life experience than formal education.  Again, you sound like you may be suitable.  As well, it's a field that can give you actual validation, knowing that you're making a difference (as opposed to my day-in, day-out office drone life).  It might be worth getting in touch with the local schools.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    JohnKenn
    Re: Boy, When The Hammer Drops, It Drops HARD! 2017/08/28 14:50:54 (permalink)
    Jim,

The jobs are all over the place in healthcare. Shorter certifications not requiring a college degree are things like respiratory therapist, lab tech, CNA, various administrative or medical billing jobs like Slug advised, pharmacy technician, phlebotomist, radiology tech, hospice aide, physical therapist. The list goes on. The CNA job does require lifting and some dirty work, but often these positions can be had with paid on the job training. Hospitals many times have recurring recruitment that train you and then put you directly on the job. Some organizations after that will pay for your classes toward RN status.

If you are thinking about following thru or exploring, here is a link to some schools. I’d call or contact the schools, ask them to send brochures so you can evaluate what is out there. Very likely there are training facilities in Canada close to you.

https://www.trade-schools.net/health-care/

Good luck,

John
    JohnKenn
    Re: Boy, When The Hammer Drops, It Drops HARD! 2017/08/28 19:46:51 (permalink)
    Couple additional thoughts about the healthcare jobs...

Outside administrative positions, the radiology techs make good money and have to put up with minimal blood and gore except for in traumatic accidents. The specially trained docs have to interpret. Irony is that the tech's position is safer than the MD. Trend is sending the images over to Mongolia or wherever and get them read for pennies on the dollar of a western MD. Someone though has to take the pictures. I've seen the techs stay while the doc is laid off.

Physical and occupational therapists also having to deal with less body fluids. Pharmacy tech can be 100 percent isolated from patients in a hospital setting, but the stress level is extreme. If a pharmacy tech, in general go for the hospital environment, not the community pharmacies. The hospital pharm tech also makes considerably more than the community counterpart.

CNA stuff can be nasty at times, but if used as a pathway to an RN, one of the most versatile licenses in the industry. Wide variety of work settings once you have the license. In the Boeing factory, the guy with the best job was the environmental adviser with his RN degree. We would be sweating like pigs on the floor losing fingers, hearing. This guy would come out of his air conditioned office in a white shirt every once in awhile, clean finger nails to lecture us on the dangers of drinking the solvents. Also made twice as much per hour as we did. The way things are shifting around, RN may be more desirable than MD in some instances and way quicker to achieve.
    jimusic
    Re: Boy, When The Hammer Drops, It Drops HARD! 2017/08/29 06:52:48 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot for your input guys. Really good info there. I've started some action plans and have an appointment tomorrow to get started. 

I love her so much that I don't know how I'll ever survive without her, our love, her love and what we had together. So heartfelt and meaningful. So many memories, and way too many memory triggers all around.

I mean I know that living without her is possible and not to put my identity, worth or purpose of existence into or about someone else, but I just don't know how to do that now. I put everything I could into this relationship.

I was there before in my life a few times, but things are different now, and I just don't know how to do it - and there seems no reason to do it now that my happiness has been shattered by hey cancer and suffering. People say I'll find happiness again some day, but I just don't see how. I'm afraid I'll always reflect back and compare whatever my future will be to this relationship which was the happiest time in my life up until recently. 
    post edited by jimusic - 2017/08/30 19:10:27

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1