Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
2017/06/20 03:20:19 (permalink)

Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away

Hey. I have Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2 (legacy). Trying to make it work with Kaby Lake 7770K and ROG Maximus Hero  Z270 motherboard. 
Hey there. Update: After 4 month of troubleshooting and waiting for Presonus to release new Microsoft signed drivers, I finally was able to make it work. It was not problem with the driver, motherboard computer, it was actually not compatible FW card. Yes, this card worked well in my old computer- but I accidently learned that the chipset it has is not compatable with Z170 and up motherboards. No one could give me this information- not Presonus tech support, not even SIIG tech support for the card. 

The Syba-SY-PEX30016-Firewire-XIO2213B (TI XI02213B chipset) came this morning, I installed it and it works! I cant believe I actually heard sound coming out of this thing!
Now I do still have pops and clicks. I had buffer set to 32, 64, 128, 256 and 512- all had clicks. At 512 it is tolerable. My old computer was running at 512 with no clicks, but I don't feel comfortable to increase it further as I use a lot of software synths, I am a keyboard player, so low latency is everything for me. At 512, I have one click at about every 20 seconds.

I ran LatencyMon and DPCLAT monitor. LatencyMon says my latency is high and I should expect clicks and pops, while DPCLAT showed my latency at lowest red area. It has green area, yellow area and red area, so it is partially in red, partially in yellow. I do not understand why I would have such a high latency on a brand new top of the line build. I disabled the Gigabit internet, NVidia Audio driver, Realtec Digital Output, Realtec Hi Def audio, all audio from 4 of my monitors, I have no more devices to disable. What else can cause latency?

Another problem is that I already bought MOTU 1248 and 16A- 2 units, and they already at my house, waiting for me to install Thunderbolt card and test them. I don't know if I should send both back, keep just one or keep both. I could have all my older hardware synths still connected to Presonus and use newer better synths through MOTU, but now that I don't need 24 channels, I could buy some Class A interface. I want to try Thunderbolt- I already bought all cards and cables and everything is here waiting. Should I install at least one MOTU or send it back? I did already open one box... 

Thank you. 
post edited by vladasyn - 2017/06/24 17:37:46

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  

34 Replies Related Threads

vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/25 02:44:00 (permalink)
    I was able to decrease latency to 128 buffer size and play audio back and use Omnisphere without any issues by disabling gaming mode and changing all privacy settings to Off. Then I loaded U-he Diva and the pops and clicks  returned. My latency monitors still saying that my real time computer performance is bad. Jim, need your help! In this video, at about 18 minutes in, he says that he tested laptop with SATA SSD and his DPC Latency Checker is staying in green (see in left corner). Then he used PCIe drive and his latency went all in the red area. This is similar to what I have on my system. But I am confused. What PCIe drive he can have in a lap top? I am concerned because I have M.2 drive running in PCIe mode. He says at the end also that PCIE drives are not good for real time. I got M.2 drive for its speed. Was I wrong? I really don't have anything else to disable and it still shows in red. Thank you. 

Good video to understand buffers and latency https://www.youtube.com/w..?v=GUsLLEkswzE&t=4s

Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/25 11:00:44 (permalink)
    "In Depth Latency Tests" comes with Latency Mon.  Run that and see if it helps or shows anything. 
    There is a description of what it does on the web site. 
    http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon_idlt

DPC Latency Checker is not valid for Win 8 or Win 10 as is noted on their web site.

Gaming mode should not be used or as Sonar support has noted, "Your DAW is not a Gaming PC". 

Although I have an older Z170 ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII Hero, it does not have any Latency Mon issues.  I am not overclocking or even have the ASUS AI Suite running to avoid any potential issues.  I only use the built in Windows Defender, no 3rd party Antivirus software.  No Skype, etc.  Minimum as I subscribe to the "KISS" principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).

I am using a Firewire PCIe card interface for my MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid and no problems.  

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/25 15:40:49 (permalink)
    Latency Mon should list the culprit.
    You have to get your DPC Latency in check... otherwise, it won't matter what interface you run (you'll have glitches).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/25 18:22:36 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    Latency Mon should list the culprit.
    You have to get your DPC Latency in check... otherwise, it won't matter what interface you run (you'll have glitches).

I will take the opportunity to ask related question, I have digged the internet, made tests with interfaces I have, but still do not know even approximate answer...

Which DPC Latency is acceptable for particular buffer size/count?
    I mean the absolute upper limit is obvious (the time of corresponding buffer), but in practice the tolerance is much smaller. I mean is 1ms still ok for 64? Or should it be 0.5ms for 64 but can be let say 1.5ms for 256? I know it is not so simple, other parameters are also involved. But as I wrote, I am a bit confused even with the order of this numbers (I have old "low end" interfaces, I guess RME should tolerate biggest possible numbers, but what are these numbers?)

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/25 21:10:40 (permalink)
    vladasyn
    I was able to decrease latency to 128 buffer size and play audio back and use Omnisphere without any issues by disabling gaming mode and changing all privacy settings to Off. Then I loaded U-he Diva and the pops and clicks  returned. My latency monitors still saying that my real time computer performance is bad. Jim, need your help! In this video, at about 18 minutes in, he says that he tested laptop with SATA SSD and his DPC Latency Checker is staying in green (see in left corner). Then he used PCIe drive and his latency went all in the red area. This is similar to what I have on my system. But I am confused. What PCIe drive he can have in a lap top? I am concerned because I have M.2 drive running in PCIe mode. He says at the end also that PCIE drives are not good for real time. I got M.2 drive for its speed. Was I wrong? I really don't have anything else to disable and it still shows in red. Thank you. 

Good video to understand buffers and latency https://www.youtube.com/w..?v=GUsLLEkswzE&t=4s

That is a brilliant video.  I ran across it a while back in another post, and it really explains what DPC latency is, and why you cannot expect to run real-time audio if your DPC latency is too great.

DPC latency is a separate issue from audio latency.  It is strictly a measure of how capable your CPU is regarding filling your audio buffers, by keeping it supplied 100% of the time.  If the CPU is occupied by another task or device, and doesn't fill the buffer in time, an audible glitch will occur.

Increasing your buffer size really only increases your audio latency, and gives your CPU a little more time to fill the buffer, but this is not a cure all and has limits.  So the real question needs to be, what is interfering with the CPU in a new build, with the latest components?

That is an interesting angle with the PCIe drives making additional demand on the CPU.  I wonder if it may be worthwhile to test with only SATA drives and compare test results?

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/26 01:53:03 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply. As I did run the LatencyMon as it says- no good. But I don't think it is capable to tell what exactly interrupts and lacks CPU. It is like that commercial about Dentist and Dental Monitor. "You have cavity. Oh, it is bad... Lunch?" What is the point to tell me, "Oh, it is bad!" if it can not tell what is bad. It may be me but those numbers do not tell me anything. It says,
    "One problem may be related to power management. Disable CPU Throttling in Control Panel. Update BIOS". My BIOS updated with March release. What CPU Throttling? I am not overclocking it and not underclocking it. I have XMP profile on for memory to run at 3000Mhz, which it designed to run at per memory specification. There was option to also O.C the CPU, and with that option, it would increase CPU to like 4.5Mhz. Now it is at 4.2Mhz- I set it so that memory would go up but not CPU numbers. I have power plan set to "Performance". 

Yesterday, latencyMon said something about my networking, I did not change anything but today it does not mention it. 
    Highest reported routine execution time 223.522853 dxgkrnl.sys- DirectX Graphics Kernel Microsoft Corporation. 

Highest reported DCP routine Execution time 2053.390238 storport.sys- Microsoft Corporation. 

Here is an article on Storport.sys. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/storage/storport-driver
    It has something to do with SCSI and RAID. I don't have SCSI drives, adopters or RAID adopters. I do have 7 drives in this build, but I am not sure this has anything to do with Storport. 

What can I do with DirectX Graphics Microsoft Corporation? I do have 4 monitors, 3 connected to NVIDIA, One to onboard graphics, it is not currently on. I can not disable Microsoft DirectX! 
    NVidia kernel Windows Mode Driver. So it has high number of DPC count and highest number of execution. So it is working, it doing something. What can I do about it? 

High Definition Audio Bus Driver. I assume this is from realtek? I can disable it, then I will not have sound when my audio interfaces not on. Some time I just want to play youtube video. 

I can e-mail a text of this report if somebody knows how to address these issues. Thank you in advance. 

abacab
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/26 03:11:52 (permalink)
    Try SATA only...

vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/26 03:33:40 (permalink)
    What you mean by "Try SATA only"? I have 1TB Samsung Evo 960 M.2 drive, this is high performance drive that cost $450 just for the drive. It has
    Max Sequential ReadUp to 3200 MBps
    Max Sequential Write Up to 1900 MBpsM.2 has something like 10GB/sec as opposite to 6Gb/sec of regular SATA SSD. Also it can run in PCIE and SATA mode, I am not sure what is for what perpose. But I know that if ran in SATA mode, it disables some SATA drives and I have all 6 drives taken. "When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled.". I have drive in port one this means it runs in PCIEx4 mode. I have no idea. I also have Marvel controller card in PCIeX4 and this is actually the port I supposed to put Thunderbolt in. 

azslow3
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/26 08:27:30 (permalink)
    vladasyn
    Thank you for your reply. As I did run the LatencyMon as it says- no good. But I don't think it is capable to tell what exactly interrupts and lacks CPU.

It say "no good" when one number was too hi at least once, you it shows where it was too hi:

Yesterday, latencyMon said something about my networking, I did not change anything but today it does not mention it. 

Probably ndis. Depends either you have network activity during LatencyMon running.
    Inducted by network driver.

Highest reported routine execution time 223.522853 dxgkrnl.sys- DirectX Graphics Kernel Microsoft Corporation. 

Inducted by NVIDIA driver. But that number should not produce audio glitch on 128.

Highest reported DCP routine Execution time 2053.390238 storport.sys- Microsoft Corporation. 

Inducted by storage driver. And that number can produce glitches.
    So in direction of: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-10-a/22482-dpc-latency-too-high-due-storport-sys-audio-pops.html
    You need to check which drivers are used for your drives and check the internet for problem reports, then eventually upgrade/downgrade/replace them.

"Hi speed" device/driver does not mean "real time" device/driver. "Real time" mode/device/driver usually means it works slower. F.e. low frequency DSP outperform in latency any general purpose GHz CPU, since it calculates "2+2" in predictable (guarantied) time while general purpose CPU USUALLY calculates it 1000 times faster, but SOMETIMES has unfortunate moments and does that slower. PC components (CPU, MB, Disks) never publish even approximate inducted by hardware/software latency. So producers are free to make horrible in latency products (99.9% of customers will not notice that).

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/26 19:49:07 (permalink)
    I have V-NAND driver for SSDs and M.2 drive and Marvel driver- it is a card- I wish I did not install it but I did- it is PCIe Card with Extra SATA ports and it has driver I had to download from Startech web site- Marvel. I see Marvel under device mamager but when I disable it, nothing changes. The storport.sys is related to RAID and SCSI adopters which I dont have, unless it is Marvel. I have Samsung SSDs. The Seagate and Western Digital hard drives dont require driver. Is there a way to disable storport.sys? Thank you.  

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/26 21:17:12 (permalink)
    Pull the Marvel SATA controller card (completely out)... and see if it has any affect.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    abacab
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/26 21:22:52 (permalink)
    vladasyn
    What you mean by "Try SATA only"? I have 1TB Samsung Evo 960 M.2 drive, this is high performance drive that cost $450 just for the drive. It has
    Max Sequential ReadUp to 3200 MBps
    Max Sequential Write Up to 1900 MBpsM.2 has something like 10GB/sec as opposite to 6Gb/sec of regular SATA SSD. Also it can run in PCIE and SATA mode, I am not sure what is for what perpose. But I know that if ran in SATA mode, it disables some SATA drives and I have all 6 drives taken. "When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled.". I have drive in port one this means it runs in PCIEx4 mode. I have no idea. I also have Marvel controller card in PCIeX4 and this is actually the port I supposed to put Thunderbolt in. 

What I meant was can you exclude the PCIe drive connection and run your system with only drives attached on the native SATA 3.0 ports on the motherboard?

I wasn't saying the M.2 drive was your problem, only to entertain the thought that it might be when using the high speed PCIe mode.  It won't matter if you have the fastest CPU and drives on the planet, if the storage drivers involved are making excessive demands on your CPU (DPC latency), it will drop audio buffers on your interface ...pops ...clicks ...etc.

azslow3
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/26 22:12:54 (permalink)
    vladasyn
    I have V-NAND driver for SSDs and M.2 drive and Marvel driver- it is a card- I wish I did not install it but I did- it is PCIe Card with Extra SATA ports and it has driver I had to download from Startech web site- Marvel. I see Marvel under device mamager but when I disable it, nothing changes. The storport.sys is related to RAID and SCSI adopters which I dont have, unless it is Marvel. I have Samsung SSDs. The Seagate and Western Digital hard drives dont require driver. Is there a way to disable storport.sys? Thank you. 

So, do you have Samsung driver and if yes which version? Mentioned by me thread has the report 2.1 was problematic (with storport.sys showing in LatencyMon). From the changelog, 2.2 can also be not good.

Your conclusions about storport.sys probably comes from the description on MS site... Even I periodically have hard time to interpret these "short descriptions" correctly

vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/27 13:40:53 (permalink)
    abacab

What I meant was can you exclude the PCIe drive connection and run your system with only drives attached on the native SATA 3.0 ports on the motherboard?

I wasn't saying the M.2 drive was your problem, only to entertain the thought that it might be when using the high speed PCIe mode.  It won't matter if you have the fastest CPU and drives on the planet, if the storage drivers involved are making excessive demands on your CPU (DPC latency), it will drop audio buffers on your interface ...pops ...clicks ...etc.

I can take the Marvel controller card and see what happens. Currently I need it for DVD frive- I dont have any more ports left to connect it. Running all Kontakt libraries from SSDs is almost impossible. 

vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/27 13:43:19 (permalink)
    azslow3
    vladasyn

So, do you have Samsung driver and if yes which version? Mentioned by me thread has the report 2.1 was problematic (with storport.sys showing in LatencyMon). From the changelog, 2.2 can also be not good.

Your conclusions about storport.sys probably comes from the description on MS site... Even I periodically have hard time to interpret these "short descriptions" correctly

I dont know how to see the version for VNAND driver. I downloaded it in January 2017. Somebody else had to help me find the link because on Samsung web site it is very hard (for me) to find the drivers link- everything is consumer oriented and has washers, driers, TVs, phones and so on. If you could (please) help me find it again, I can look at the file name and see if it was updated or not. 

abacab
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/27 14:25:31 (permalink)
    Are you using the M.2 Socket 3 on the X270 for the M.2 drive in SATA mode or PCIe mode?

I ran across this info:  https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-m2-833453

Faster Speeds

"While size is of course a factor in developing the new interface, speed of the drives is just as critical. The SATA 3.0 specifications restricted real world bandwidth of a SSD on the drive interface to around 600MB/s, something that many drives have now reached. The SATA 3.2 specifications introduced a new mixed approach for the M.2 interface just like it did with SATA Express. In essence, a new M.2 card can use either the existing SATA 3.0 specifications and be restricted to the 600MB/s or it could instead elect to use PCI-Express that provides a bandwidth of 1GB/s under the current PCI-Express 3.0 standards.

Now that 1GB/s speed is for a single PCI-Express lane. It is possible to use multiple lanes and under the M.2 specifications, up to four lanes can be used. Using two lanes would provide 2.0GB/s while four lanes can provide up to 4.0GB/s. With the eventual release of PCI-Express 4.0, these speeds would double.

Now not all systems are going to achieve these speeds. The M.2 drive and interface on the computer have to be setup in the same mode. The M.2 interface is designed to use either legacy SATA mode or the newer PCI-Express modes but the drive will pick which one to use. For instance, a M.2 drive designed with SATA legacy mode will be restricted to that 600MB/s speed. Now, the M.2 drive can be compatible with PCI-Express up to 4 lanes (x4) but the computer only uses a two lanes (x2). This would result in maximum speeds of just 2.0GB/s. So to get the most speed possible, you will need to check both what the drive and the computer or motherboard support."

But this is what jumped out at me ...

Command Modes

"For more than a decade, SATA has made storage for computers plug and play. This is thanks to the very simple to use interface but also because of the AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) command structure. This is a way that the computer can communicate instructions with the storage devices. It is built into all of the modern operating systems and thus not require any additional drivers be installed into the operating system when we add new drives. It has worked great but it was developed in the era of hard drives that have a limited ability to process instructions because of the physical nature of the drive heads and platters. A single command queue with 32 commands was sufficient. The problem is that solid state drives can do so much more but are restricted by the AHCI drivers.
    To help eliminate this bottleneck and improve performance, the NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) command structure and drivers were developed as a means to eliminate this problem for solid state drives. Rather than using a single command queue, it provides up to 65,536 command queues with up the 65,536 commands per queue. This allows for more parallel processing of the storage read and write requests which will help boost performance over the AHCI command structure.
    While this is great, there is a bit of a problem. AHCI is built into all modern operating systems but NVMe is not. In order to get the most potential out of the drives, drivers must be installed on top of the existing operating systems to use this new command mode. That is a problem for many people on older operating systems. Thankfully the M.2 specification allows either of the two modes to be used. This makes adoption of the new interface easier with existing computers and technologies by using the AHCI command structure. Then as this the support for the NVMe command structure gets improved into the software, the same drives can be used with this new command mode. Just be warned that switching between the two modes will require that the drives be reformatted."

So I wonder if these additional drivers can be causing the DPC load to increase?

azslow3
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/27 15:41:29 (permalink)
    vladasyn
    I dont know how to see the version for VNAND driver. I downloaded it in January 2017. Somebody else had to help me find the link because on Samsung web site it is very hard (for me) to find the drivers link- everything is consumer oriented and has washers, driers, TVs, phones and so on. If you could (please) help me find it again, I can look at the file name and see if it was updated or not.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

But as suggested in the thread, may be you will have to uninstall it (in installed applications or in the device manager if you see nothing in applications). At least for latency test.

vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 03:17:38 (permalink)
    Wow! We are Green!
    I updated the Samsung NVME driver- I was on 2.1, there was 2.2, and I have significant improvement in the reading! I did not expect much- in versions history it said- the update improved Virtual Machine integration- I thought- this does not apply to me, but I installed it any way and Storport.sys is not on the list any more. There is now Samsung NVME driver showing up occasionally. Thank you for suggesting to update this driver. I suspected it but did not think to update. 

And we are Red again. Like really red. This time it is ndis.sys- Network Driver Identification System and DirectX Graphic Kernel. And NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode. I updated NVIDIA driver yesterday. Can it be related to the number of monitors connected or use of Display Port? I have 4 monitors, 2 are currently on- I have 2 4K monitors connected (one is off) and 2K is on. It looks like Display port occasionally refreshes and my open tabs jump from one monitor to another. I had the 2k monitor off but had to turn it on because everything jumped there for some reason. Not very crazy about the Display Ports- they have issues. I also have DP KVM switch, but that should not affect the latency, unless it some how triggers system to refresh...

Thank you.  

vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 03:20:01 (permalink)
    I am setting Power Plan to High Performance through "Change Advanced Power Options". When I click on that link, it usually set to Balanced (active). I change it to High Performance. The "Apply" button stays grayed out unless I go and change other setting. So I would change Monitor to 19 minutes. Hit Apply, and Ok. Come back- it is back to Balanced, not High Performance and CPU minimum state is 5%. Why? Is there a way to make it stay at High Performance? Thank you again. 

vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 03:29:55 (permalink)
    Ok, this is the LAN driver listed for my Motherboard on Asus web site: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V21.1.30.0, released in January 2017. There is no update.

On Intel web site there are newer drivers but I am not sure I can select the right one and could there be a reason Asus did not post update done- may be it not working well? 
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/47549/Intel-82579-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller

Thank you again. 

abacab
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 03:43:34 (permalink)
    One approach would be to temporarily unplug everything that you don't absolutely need to boot the system.  Disable onboard features that you can boot without, such as the Ethernet port.

Reboot and then run the test.  If it passes, then proceed to add one thing back at a time until the test fails again.

vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 05:10:17 (permalink)
    Right. I am about to install Thunderbolt card. I disabled Hi Def Audio in BIOS, WiFi and Bluetooth, but this did not help. Still Network driver, Direct X and NVidia. The Presonus Audio Playback is ok, I changed it to 128 for testing but probably will have it at 256. Most of synths work ok, U-he Diva still has occasional clicks.

I did remove Marvel for now. 

Interestingly, My M2 Slot 1 is set to Auto (Not PCIE, Not SATA). My other 6 drives work ok, so I assume it is in PCIE because if it was in SATA, it would disable some SATA ports but it didn't.

The Thunderbolt has like 10 different settings in BIOS that need to be set. I have to read the manual, I have no idea. 

azslow3
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 10:14:30 (permalink)
    For network, you can test with it disconnected.
    For graphics, you can try to switch to internal graphics for tests.
    I mean if you can get the system to the state "works perfect with 128" (better with 64 if SL has such setting), you will at least know what exactly is problematic.

For NVIDIA and latency: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/941579/geforce-1000-series/gtx-1080-high-dpc-latency-and-stuttering/1/
    But how bad are numbers at the moment?

Also one obvious by sometimes overseen factor to check: temperature. What is your cooling system? Have you already checked which CPU/System temperatures you get under hi load?
    Even if you have best CPU cooler, it can happened it is not fixed right. CPU in many cases still work, but will be throttled by temperature. Also some BIOS "Auto" settings sometimes try to "over"/"under" something (frequency, voltage, etc.). That by itself can overheat the chip-set/CPU, even when the system is not over-clocked.
    GPUs have different temperature/silence/performance modes. That can influence the latency.

abacab
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 15:13:44 (permalink)
    azslow3

Also one obvious by sometimes overseen factor to check: temperature. What is your cooling system? Have you already checked which CPU/System temperatures you get under hi load?
    Even if you have best CPU cooler, it can happened it is not fixed right. CPU in many cases still work, but will be throttled by temperature. Also some BIOS "Auto" settings sometimes try to "over"/"under" something (frequency, voltage, etc.). That by itself can overheat the chip-set/CPU, even when the system is not over-clocked.
    GPUs have different temperature/silence/performance modes. That can influence the latency.

HWiNFO is a handy free tool to check your system specs with and read your temperature and fan sensors.  It also show the frequency your CPU cores are clocked at.

https://www.hwinfo.com/

vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 15:24:19 (permalink)
    For Network- you mean disabling Lan in device manager? Knowing that it improved would not solve issue- I know- it has latency- I need to do something to make it work better. I need it to be able to connect to internet at all time. This is why I need to see if there better driver (see my earlier post on this).

My numbers... I set Presonus to 128. The Latency has minor occasional clicks when using H-He Diva synth- this synth is known to be heavy on CPU, but I had no issues with it on my other system, so it can run good, just not yet for me. Some time I think I heard a click on playback, but then I am not sure if it was. I think it acts the same if I set it to 256. 

The LatencyMon shows the bar going aaaaaalllllll the way across the screen in to the red for Direct X, NVidia and LAN. 
    My temperature for CPU according to BIOS is 36C. I dont do heavy loads- I dont play video games on this computer, so- with using normal Sonar project it stays 36C on Air cooler (not stock, but one of those $30 popular coolers everybody uses- it works pretty good).

I made an effort not to install any NVIDIA power management software with the driver, but it is possible I missed something and something got installed. I need to look for NVIDIA settings, not sure where it would be.

When I select High Performance setting in Power Management of Windows, it changes minimum CPU state to 100%, I click ok, and then when I open it again, it says, "Balanced" and minimum CPU power state is 5%. I do not have any Samsung software installed. I dont have AI Suite- Asus power management software. May be NVidia sneak something in their installation- how would I check that? I can not think of anything that would control my power. In BIOS, I have XMP profile enabled for Memory. When selecting XMP profile, it asks if I want to increase CPU frequency or something. If I say Yes, it increases it to like 4.5. If I say No, it leaves CPU to run at 4.2, but increases Memory to 3000Mhz. But I dont think this would affect Power settings in Windows. 

vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 15:28:22 (permalink)
    abacab
    emperature/silence/performance modes. That can influence the latency.

HWiNFO is a handy free tool to check your system specs with and read your temperature and fan sensors.  It also show the frequency your CPU cores are clocked at.

Yeah, I can see those numbers in BIOS. My Fans have controller so they can not be measured by Motherboard. If I wanted to have all that information, I would install AI Suite- this is Asus overclocking and monitoring software syit, it is complex. I am glad I did NOT install it, or I would have to wonder what else it doing to my system that I dont understand. In BIOS it says my CPU codes are at 4.2Mhz (not overclocked). I can male it go 4.5, the temperature stays ok if I can rely on BIOS reading. 

abacab
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 15:34:17 (permalink)
    vladasyn
    abacab

Yeah, I can see those numbers in BIOS. My Fans have controller so they can not be measured by Motherboard. If I wanted to have all that information, I would install AI Suite- this is Asus overclocking and monitoring software syit, it is complex. I am glad I did NOT install it, or I would have to wonder what else it doing to my system that I dont understand. In BIOS it says my CPU codes are at 4.2Mhz (not overclocked). I can male it go 4.5, the temperature stays ok if I can rely on BIOS reading. 

You can download the portable app.  No install required, it only runs when you run it, and so you can monitor stuff when Windows is running, not just from BIOS.

It's a very well regarded tool, has been around a while!

abacab
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 15:42:02 (permalink)
    vladasyn

I made an effort not to install any NVIDIA power management software with the driver, but it is possible I missed something and something got installed. I need to look for NVIDIA settings, not sure where it would be.

When I select High Performance setting in Power Management of Windows, it changes minimum CPU state to 100%, I click ok, and then when I open it again, it says, "Balanced" and minimum CPU power state is 5%. I do not have any Samsung software installed. I dont have AI Suite- Asus power management software. May be NVidia sneak something in their installation- how would I check that? I can not think of anything that would control my power. In BIOS, I have XMP profile enabled for Memory. When selecting XMP profile, it asks if I want to increase CPU frequency or something. If I say Yes, it increases it to like 4.5. If I say No, it leaves CPU to run at 4.2, but increases Memory to 3000Mhz. But I dont think this would affect Power settings in Windows. 

When installing nVidia drivers, I always select the custom install, let me choose.

You can unselect everything except the core drivers.  They seem to want to push something called nVidia Experience and some other stuff you don't need, but maybe want if you play games.

XMP profiles for memory are factory set "aggressive" RAM timing profiles to enhance gaming features and overclock RAM.

XMP is probably not needed unless you are overclocking.
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html

vladasyn
    Re: Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away 2017/06/28 16:49:28 (permalink)
    Well- my memory is 3000mhz, but without XMP runs at 2100, which is undercloked for its specs. It needs XMP to run by factory spec. I am just saying that XMP profile asks me if I want to do anything with processor and if I say Yes, it overclocks it, if no- it only overclocks memory.

I installed Nvidia experience at least one, but I reinstalled Windows literally 14 times, so last few times I was trying not to install it unless I missed it and it got installed.

I enter BIOS after computer runs in Windows and it shows me the temperatures- it would not have time to cool off. It just that Motherboard sensors for some reason always show different temperature than Asus AI Suit, usually Motherboard is higher. My Haswell computer always runs 46C. This one always at 36-37C, I doubt I have temperature problem. 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1