Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus.

Author
ChuckC
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1488
2011/09/07 19:22:11 (permalink)

Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus.

Well, I have several songs I have been fighting with, I like the mix & then I export that mix as a stereo file, open it in another project to master it.  I  add some light eq to the whole mix & then find for instance that I like what a little up tik in the high end does for the guitars and vocals but the cymbals are now shrilly. or I love adding a subtle curve on the low end (often starting with the sublte tbe warmth preset) and softening it from there as it's often too much.   the kick sounds great but now the bass guitar is booming!   I go back, doctor the mix, re export, import that into my saved mastering project. then find other issues.  I know you should send your stuff off to be masteredby someone else.... yeah, I've read that & I've been told...  It's just not in the budget.   I have been wanting to get these songs released and up on the bands website for about 6 weeks now.  Maybe I am getting too picky on them but I want em perfect.   So I have said to hell with it and put basically just a linear EQ, & multiband comp, on the master bus.  Sometimes I'll lightly use the boost 11 after that but it tends to color it a bit.   This is pushing my computer to about 20-24% at times.  any other pitfalls with this method I should be aware of fellas?

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
http://www.everythingiam.net/
http://www.stormroomstudios.com
Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios

13 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/07 20:20:56 (permalink)
    Hi ChuckC There has been discussion on this before and there are two views on it. Firstly you can master your own mixes as long as you are a good mastering engineer and also leave some time elapse between the mix and mastering stages.

I prefer to master a week later after doing a good mix. The reason that mastering on your mastering buss is not so good is several.

Firstly you will only have a print of that and if you don't like the mastering later then you have to go back and print another mix again. Having an un mastered mix is always a handy thing to have. It allows for mastering options later.

After mixing for a while your ears are tired and not making great mastering judgements and that is why if you leave it a few days or a week you will hear the music fresh again and approach mastering from a fresher perspective.

It sounds like you are on the right track anyway. The fact you had to go back and alter the mix means the mix was not perfect to start with and it is good that it was brought out during mastering and you heard it. Even famous mastering engineers have sent mixes back for re mixing. It is good that you can do it.

Just keep the monitoring levels of the unmastered mix higher or similiar to mastered levels and that way you won't be tempted to try and make your mix sound louder during mixing. Once the mix balance is great then mastering should be pretty painless.

Don't forget to have a great reference CD of very similar music that is well mixed and mastered available during both mixing and mastering. Many do not do this for some reason and they have nothing to compare to. Also choose the right song to master first, prefearbly one with everything in it and lots going on. Then once you have that make sure that is also available while you are mastering the rest and that way you will get the others to sound closer to it and then they will all feel as though they belong together.

I sat in on fantastic mastering session with one of Melbourne's best mastering engineers and I got a lot out of what processors they were using and all but the main thing I got was comparing to well produced CD's and also mastering one track first and comparing other songs to that.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    ChuckC
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/07 21:14:24 (permalink)
    Thank you for the insight Jeff.   I appreciate your time and advice!

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/08 07:22:58 (permalink)
    Hi Chuck,

I always tend to stay away from threads Jeff answers because...well, the dude knows so much, there is nothing really to add. LOL! You rule Jeff!

However, I do have a few different ways I go about this that might help you. The first thing I do is totally mix out of Sonar as my final mix-down. From there, I actually let the mix sit for a day or so. If I wait a week like Jeff mentioned, it's too easy for me to want to alter the entire thing and then I'm taking more time to do things. I'm not knocking his way of doing things, I just find that the more I wait, the more I can change things drastically that sometimes aren't the best bet...but that's just *me* it doesn't mean it's like that for everyone. :)

Once I'm done with it in Sonar and listen for a day or so, I bring it in another editor for editing. checking for pops, click, other artifacts, spikes, stuff like that. When that's done, I save the track as name of song PM for pre-master. From there, I open Sonar again and load my mastering template and physically master the tune with eq, compression, limiting etc and whatever else it may need. I'll then save this project as a .cwp because if I find I need to tweak the mastering curve, all I have to do is open it up and it's right where I left it so I can tweak it if need be. From there, I export and I'm done with that song. Of course I'm comparing along the way to other pieces of music like Jeff mentioned as well as all the other stuff he included. 

Next, and this is what I really wanted to share. I'll open up that project again and delete the wave file and save it as a mastering template with the name of that album. This way, for the next song (assuming it was recorded around the same time using the same instrumentation and artist etc) I can bring the next song right into that template, tweak it and export. This allows for consistency. When we master an entire album worth of music, most of the time the band recorded at the same studio using the same instruments etc. So when we create the first mastering curve for a song, we can use that template on the rest of the album as long as the rest of the tunes are consistent and have that same sound....you know what I mean? Like if someone sent me 2 songs to master from 2 different times and 2 different studios using different musicians, that mastering curve I created for the first song will not work for the second. I'd have to create a curve for that song specifically, understand? But if things are consistent, you can get away with the first template you create and then just tweak it for each song on the album and you'll be in good shape. You'll just about never drop a song in the template and have it sound perfect though. You have to tweak for each song while not going too far astray or you lose consistency. Best of luck, hope this helps. :)

-Danny 
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/09/08 07:25:57

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/08 08:01:01 (permalink)
      I frequently finish everything but trimming to length in SONAR.

I agree 100% that people that mix/master music should also spend a lot of time listening to music recordings on the systems they do mix or mastering work on.

I am frequently surprised to learn how many music producing people never took music consuming very seriously. I used to think everyone that produced music also had a fervent interest in listening to music on nice playback systems. I think there is less of a connection between both activities now than there might have been at one time.
      I think that is why we find that a reminder to listen to other music as an exercise for adapting your ear seems like sage advice.

best regards
    mike

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/08 08:33:42 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Hi ChuckC There has been discussion on this before and there are two views on it. Firstly you can master your own mixes as long as you are a good mastering engineer and also leave some time elapse between the mix and mastering stages.

I prefer to master a week later after doing a good mix. The reason that mastering on your mastering buss is not so good is several.

Firstly you will only have a print of that and if you don't like the mastering later then you have to go back and print another mix again. Having an un mastered mix is always a handy thing to have. It allows for mastering options later.

After mixing for a while your ears are tired and not making great mastering judgements and that is why if you leave it a few days or a week you will hear the music fresh again and approach mastering from a fresher perspective.

It sounds like you are on the right track anyway. The fact you had to go back and alter the mix means the mix was not perfect to start with and it is good that it was brought out during mastering and you heard it. Even famous mastering engineers have sent mixes back for re mixing. It is good that you can do it.

Just keep the monitoring levels of the unmastered mix higher or similiar to mastered levels and that way you won't be tempted to try and make your mix sound louder during mixing. Once the mix balance is great then mastering should be pretty painless.

Don't forget to have a great reference CD of very similar music that is well mixed and mastered available during both mixing and mastering. Many do not do this for some reason and they have nothing to compare to. Also choose the right song to master first, prefearbly one with everything in it and lots going on. Then once you have that make sure that is also available while you are mastering the rest and that way you will get the others to sound closer to it and then they will all feel as though they belong together.

I sat in on fantastic mastering session with one of Melbourne's best mastering engineers and I got a lot out of what processors they were using and all but the main thing I got was comparing to well produced CD's and also mastering one track first and comparing other songs to that.
    Thanks for sharing such profound pearls, Jeff!  You help make techniques my fav forum.

Doubtless, I'll apply your excellent logic to mixing and mastering stems as well (... except I'll oft wait 2 weeks to lifetime, depending on the sensitivity of the song's material)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/08 08:33:54 (permalink)
    Posting after Jeff & Danny..... well let me just show my ignorance of the finer things about mixing...maybe ignorance isn't the right word.... maybe I just do it different from the established ways.

I do tend to master in the master buss.  Since all of my projects are not going to be pressed to CD for sale, to me it's no big deal. 

Mixing and mastering in the same project are to me a way of saving time.  As long as the computer can handle the loads and not choke, you're fine.    25% is nowhere near loaded down.  

I like to pop Ozone into the master buss right at the beginning, and set up my customized "one size fits all" preset. (I know one size does not fit all, but it is simply a starting point)  This helps, because right from the start, I'm hearing what the project will sound like at the end.  

As I add EQ and other things to a specific track I can hear immediately what the sound will be like in the finished project. Many times I have added an EQ in a track where the solo'd track sounded good, really good,  but the final mix sounded like crap. I can immediately make fine tuning adjustments to the EQ or go in a totally different direction knowing what the end result sounds like as I work through the project and the recording process. 

The added benefit is that when I finish tracking, the mixing and enveloping is the biggest task remaining to finish the project since normally everything is sounding good at this point.  In  nutshell, I start the mastering process at the beginning of the project. 

I then save it as a bundle on the backup drives. If I need it again, I open it, work on the nits, and export the wave.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/08 11:18:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Danny for your kind words. I think it is you that might be the man around these parts. I agree you can perhaps leave too much time betwen mixing and mastering too. One of the main reasons I mention it is because it is the ears having a rest thing but also just hearing your mixes for a few days can be very revealing. If there is something glaring then it needs to be fixed I think.

I am about to master an album for a client and he just called me tonight to say that they are going to remix a few tracks here and there because they have been listening to it for a few days and want to change a few things! I am glad because it will sound better by the time I get it. This mix engineer is unhappy about a kick. I mixed this guys last album and I changed a kick at the last minute too after hearing it for a few days. If a mix has to survive years sounding good on a CD then isn't a few days or a week listening before mastering worth it.

I don't disagree with Herb's approach either. If I know a track is going to be loud at the end of the day I use a K -12 reference which is bloody loud to start with and I use some gentle two buss compression as well to start shaping things up for a louder master later on and they all want that. I choose a lower ratio eg 1.3:1 and aim for - 3db of GR and the attack setting is important here too. Slow it down a little and let some of the transients through. But a little master compression can soften things up a tiny bit which is good. I think there can be excessive transients too at times. I use a transparent digital compressor in that role as well. A tape sim is good for softening things down a little too.

This client is going to give me a great refernce CD as well so the first thing I have to do is find out how much above K-12 that is. Then aim for that, maybe. One thing  is that I am starting to find I like the idea of doing the third limiting stage editing off line in Adobe Audition rather than pass mixes through a limiter in real time. Sounds strange I know but I am finding the mix preserves a little better that way. (ie hard limit everything down to say -3 db and add 2 db after that raising the rms level by 2 db.)

I could be imagining that too. It is a bit like the argument about using 64 double precision in the mix stage. Can you hear it or not

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/09 00:53:21 (permalink)
    LOL Jeff, you're too good to me man....thanks. But you got me beat by a landslide. :) I totally agree with the "wait a week" thing. But I have this problem to where sometimes my first instinct is the best one. I wait a while, I start hearing other things...make some changes and then compare to what I had originally wanted to go with...and sure enough, the original always seems to be better. Now for client mixes, it seems this is easier for me to do because I guess I'm not as close to the material. I can mix something for a client and master it the next day with really good results. It's my own stuff that I have the issues with if I wait too long. :)

As for Herb's idea, I'll agree there also. Herb, when my band practices here at my studio....when I'm done with what we did, I master it inside of the project just like you do off the 2-bus. I get decent results this way and like you said, it's not something I'm going to sell or anything...it's just for our heads really. But there's nothing wrong with doing it that way. I just personally wouldn't do it that way for something that would be "for real" if you know what I mean? I have this whole anal retentive editing process that I MUST go through with 2 other editors...so to do that, it's best for me to export a good mix out of Sonar first. It just keeps things tight and I like to manually level the audio as well as take care of peaks, transients, clicks, pops, oscillations and anything else because these editors just do a fantastic job in those areas. The leveling and peak control is the most important to me because it's rare that any of my stuff has pops, clicks, or other artifacts. I'm such a slip edit/crossfade maniac, not much gets by me...but every once in a while, a little snert will show it's ugly head. LOL!

But the peak thing is where I like to really have control. For example, I had a client that sent me this Beatles song he did that had all modern instrumentation. He really did a nice job...but the snare drum was just peaking all over the place. Yet, you couldn't hear it by listening to the tune. But you could SEE it clear as day. Now I didn't have the work files, so I couldn't control the snare the way I wanted so I had to take care of it through mastering. If I wouldn't have manually handled those peaks, that would have been the loudest part in the song. So after fixing it and manually leveling the audio, everything was way more balanced. This sort of thing in Sonar right in the project, wouldn't have been possible without loads of automation and nodes all over the place. So yeah man, it's definitely cool to do for quickie jobs for your head as well as some stuff that just sounds good. But I notice a huge difference in quality when I do it the long way and use the multi-editor way. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/09 15:26:44 (permalink)
    I guess I kinda do a hybrid of people's practices here.

I complete my mix in Sonar and get it sounding best as I can.

Then, when I'm happy with the mix i will put the Sonitus multi-band compressor and T-Racks Limiter on the Master bus to make some minor overall tonal adjustments and kick up the level a bit.  Sometime I'll also a compressor so that each compressor is not working too hard.

At this point, I don't really think in terms of "albums" anymore so I don't address any issues regarding consistency between mixes.  It's pretty much a "singles" world these days.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

ChuckC
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/10 20:21:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Everyone!  Lot's to think about and consider.  One of the best tracks I have done so far I did by opening the stereo mix in a separate mastering file.  I am happy with it and leaving it alone.   the guys in my band want a similar sound with these other 2 songs we finished around the same time & I have tried that method over and over with these 2 and just can't seem to hit the bullseye. each song was recorded with the same instruments though we switch up in this band so the players vary.  What I mean is, in the song thats done our "singer" plays drums, drummer is on guitar, & I am on lead vocals.   the next every one is in normal spots and I am back on guitar, the 3rd I play drums & the drummer is on guitar.  it really makes this band fun on stage!!  but in the studio the same kit can sound different with a new man behind the sticks, guitars are attacked differently, and vocal frequencies change based on the singer so we don't really have one sound if that makes sense.   
      At practice the other night I did a mastering session on the on the other 2 songs with the whole band present & throwing out opinions.... it became increasingly clear that they want it to have that over compressed radio rock brickwall limiter sound.  you know the one where the kick can make your rearview mirror fall the hell off?   So we did a mix that I knew was overdriven though it sounded good on monitors it was one of those times where you know from experiance that this is gonna translate like sh*t....  we went out and played back in a couple of car stereos and sure enough it's over done.  They were like man.... it sounds like too boomy and distorted....   I just smiled and said yep.  thats why I wanted to dial it back and you all said NOOOOO that's it right there!!
    Funny, even with in my band who are all seasoned 20-30yr  musicians they have no idea how much time I spend on the process of recording, editing, mixing etc.  that's why I had to laugh because they all thought they had just come in and fixed everything in a half hour.  

ChuckC
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/13 00:40:49 (permalink)
    The songs I have been discussing here ar now up here:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/wallowsound

"At the Seams" I am singing & it was done by mastering separately
    "switcblade punk" and "wake" were done on the bus.  I like the overall sound of at the seams better but I go tired of fighting the other 2 songs.  I will post them in songs too.

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/13 05:12:16 (permalink)
    I'm with Herb on this one in that I tend to master within the same project and mix into the master bus.

But this is because I'm piecing together an album and I'm trying to achieve a similar sound throughout the different tracks.

So my master buss contains 3  T-Racks singles - the LP EQ, Classic Compressor and finally their Brickwall Limiter.

The album itself is being compiled on a separate Sonar project which has exactly the same chain with identical settings on it's master bus.

Obviously, when I export an individual project from Sonar, I bypass the master Fx bin.

The sound gets a little "funky" if I forget to bypass the master

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Breaking the rules... mastering on the master bus. 2011/09/13 08:48:55 (permalink)
    I mentioned that I used the same "cookie cutter"  customized preset to start. That is also for a purpose beyond hearing the "final mix sound" . 

By using the same starting point every time, the sonic quality of the song will sound like the next song and the song before it.  Even if they are recorded months apart. 

In the first days of working with Ozone 4..... it was daunting just looking at all the presets that were in there and knowing that each one could easily be tweaked. Kinda like the kid in the candy store.  But as I worked on songs and used different preset starting points, I noticed the different overall sound of the songs was strikingly different. They sounded good, but when played back to back it was like 2 different studio sounds. 

To get a certain cohesiveness to my sound I eventually decided that the easiest way to accomplish that was to use the same starting point for them all. I went back and edited the preset in the other songs and waaa laaa, they now sounded like they were recorded in the same studio, just by using that same preset as the start point. 
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/09/13 08:50:10

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1