Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock

Author
tyacko
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1190
2008/11/07 08:31:54 (permalink)

Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock

Hi All,

Here is a new song we've been working on. It is the first mix so I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions about that.

Breathing Helium

Thanks for listening.

Tom

17 Replies Related Threads

Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/07 08:50:43 (permalink)
    Guitar and vox sounds great. Maybe the bass could have some more low end? High hats have a good level I think. Snare maybe feels a little boxy. Kick has a good level in the middle but could be more prominent in the begining and when the dist guitar kicks in. Outro could need a little work maybe. Overall a really good song. Looking forward to the final mix.
    post edited by Legion - 2008/11/07 08:52:37

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    tomjeff76
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/07 08:56:48 (permalink)
    Hi Tom, very cool song. I liked it a lot.

TomJeff

My Songs

Yamaha MM6
    Line 6 Tone Port UX2
    Korg PadKontrol
    Music Creator 4
    EZDrummer
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/07 09:19:58 (permalink)
    IN the beginning, the panned guitars are slightly off in time with each other (especially the left one).
    Good, strong voice.
    Stick-across needs something...overall drums seem a bit thin, lacking presence.
    Good chorus. Excellent harmonizing.
    The musical interlude between the choruses just doesn't work at all...not sure if it is the musical choice or the mix.
    Fade-out was waaay too fast.

Maybe I am getting old, but this is a good rock song; what is progressive about it totally escapes me.
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/07 09:55:51 (permalink)
    I love this song… Strong performance and wonderful arrangement… I agree with Yoyo, the drums sound a little thin, but the stick sound fine and I disagree that the “interlude” doesn’t work… I believe the entire song works as you probably intended...
    The bass sounds great but needs to come up a bit…
    Great work…
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/07 10:00:22 (permalink)
    I really enjoyed this tune. The drums on my end you could stand to tone down some of the room mic, a bit to much room. I like the tempo the song kicked in at 2:08, very cool. The one thing that really stands out is your voice. Man you have some great pipes and the harmonies on this tune are just fantastic. The tone of your voice and how it sits in the mix is perfect. All in all a great song.
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2008/11/07 10:46:19

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/07 10:41:11 (permalink)
    The bass sounds great but needs to come up a bit…

I think notnat is right and I am wrong... Just raise the bass instead of boosting lows it might only get muddy.

Again, really good song.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/07 14:03:33 (permalink)
    Great voice and harmonies! Very nice!! I like the tune and the chord changes. Cool!
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/07 17:07:46 (permalink)
    Totally cool beyond words. With a voice like yours, you could cough up a hairball and it would sound awesome. Not that there are any hairballs in this tune... aw hell you know whudimean

Anyway I really dig the mood changes, the tempo changes and the emotional dynamics. This is what prog is all about man!

The bass is awesome for a groove like this (is it fretless?). And I don't know if it's intentional, but I think the ending is great the way it just sorta .... ends. Maybe you intend to have a longer fade when you master it, but I really dig the bizarre full stop.

My one & only suggestion would be at the chorus @ 2:08 when the drums go to double time. There seems to be a vaccuum in the upper frequencies. You could either (1) make the ride cymbal louder, (2) add something like tambourine, (3) do the 80s big hair thing and hold down a high synthesizer note--haha I'm just kidding--don't even think about it! , or (4) leave it the way it is. The 2nd chorus @ 3:04 sounds fine because the drums are doing open hi hat which fills that vaccuum. Actually now that I think about it, maybe it was intentional that way? Heck, either way, killer tune dude. GREAT LYRICS.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/07 19:14:23 (permalink)
    What a voice Tom! Man you could've had a little monkey with finger cymbals backing you and I would have enjoyed this.
    Any deficiencies in mix/music in my opinion is magnified from the quality of the your vocals.
    Well when all that other stuff catches up your going to be a bad, bad man.

Sharp
    Michael
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/07 20:34:29 (permalink)
    The voice is beautiful. The sound of this band overall is very cool - warm guitar tones. The harmonies just kicked in - nice - very nice vocals together.

I love this tune.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/07 20:45:36 (permalink)
    Great song, especially the vox. As james says, some minor timing issues. Liking the tone on the guitar/bass...reminded me of Nirvana in siome ways (chord changes, and the chorus). Be a good live song i bet!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/08 13:28:24 (permalink)
    The vox really struck me here! Nice. Wonderful harmonies! A good song that needs a few minor tweaks as mentioned that will make it a GREAT song!! Very enjoyable!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/09 10:41:38 (permalink)
    Thanks everybody for taking a listening and provide comments/suggestions!

Legion - Thanks! Yeah, the drums are good in spots and others could use some support. I'll take a look at. The Outro was definitely a quick fade just to finish the song so I could deliver a mix for you guys to listen to. It will get better. Again, thank you for all your suggestions. I'm really glad you enjoy it!

tomjeff76 - Thank you for listening and especially commenting.

jamesyoyo - Thanks for the thorough critique. I agree that the drums need a bit more punch and will look at that now that my ears will be more fresh. Also, we want to have a keyboard part placed throughout the song and the guy who lays those down hasn't had an opportunity yet. So, maybe that will help the part after the chorus you commented on. Again, thank you.

notnat - Thanks man! Drums definitely seem to be the weakness everyone is noticing. However, not bad for a first pass apparently!

drumstixkev - Thanks for discovering the tempo increase through the choruses. Only a drummer would notice that change and appreciate it! Now, as for the vocals that is my buddy Chuck singing. And now I'm not sure if his head will fit through the door here in the studio.

Mamabear - Thank you for listening and providing comment. You always have something nice to say about our music and I appreciate it (even though it isn't the same style that you write).

Spaceduck - I must admit that you have a way with words. You help someone appreciate a job well done but in a way few do. The bass is a fretless Peavey. I see what you mean in the chorus area you are talking about, but yeah the idea there was to make the final chorus be the big anthem and leave the previous one be a bit simplier. Of course, you even said something like that in your response. Again, thanks for the listen and the always entertaining comments.

spacey - Man spacey... Chuck is never going to let me live this response down! All kidding aside, you are right. He did a tremendous job with the songwriting and the vocals for this one. It has emotion and power, which is all you can ask for when you get a good take. Thanks for the kind words and the listen.

CLEAN - Mark, thank you! "Warm guitar sounds"!!! I'm glad to hear that from you after I mentioned earlier this week how much I loved the sound of your guitars as well. So, I'm glad I did something right!

mgh - Thanks. Now that you mention it, I can see where you would get the Nirvana reference. I don't think we were intentionally going down that route, but I'll take it!!!

lhansen - Larry, thanks for listening and commenting. Us "prog rockers" gotta keep the music flowing!!!

Again, thanks to everyone for listening and providing valuable input. Any others that would like to comment, please feel free. Any and all comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Tom
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/09 11:07:11 (permalink)
    Are there two rhythm guitars playing the same part, one panned a little left, one a little right? It’s giving a neat effect.

I like the way this started, like a mellow pink floyd tune? And then turned in to more of a rocker when it transitioned at the breathing helium part. Nice build at the end, but it seemed to cut off too abruptly.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/10 23:43:18 (permalink)
    Tom,

This one slipped by me, but I'm glad I gave it a listen - good stuff here man. Regarding the mix, needs a few tweaks, but I like it as is - the overall sound of this mix is quite good - I like it a lot actually. It has a 'live' sound.

The vox and guitars sound very nice. I like the arrangement - clever and well done.

Excellent song overall - I enjoyed listening.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/11 21:38:45 (permalink)
    That was a cool ass song. The harmonies really pop out when they first appear. good changes throughout. I would agree with everyone that the drums are missing a little meat. Maybe too much room sound? Anyway, really dug it.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    SoulPuppy
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Breathing Helium: Progressive Rock 2008/11/13 12:55:50 (permalink)
    Very cool song. Guitars & vocals sound fantastic. I agree the drums need more beef.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1